Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tactics ogre is fairly mediocre all around tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I liked what i played of it, i'll give it another shot and try not to overdo it on crafting. Magic felt sort of useless at times and archers seemed insanely overpowered at times.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah that's basically how it goes

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's kind of a shame considering there's a poo poo ton of spells. I could totally setup a decent damage wizard or just pelt a guy in the face with an arrow from across the battlefield.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Golden Goat posted:

I liked what i played of it, i'll give it another shot and try not to overdo it on crafting. Magic felt sort of useless at times and archers seemed insanely overpowered at times.
One time I lost my save so for a joke I just made 12 Archers and played through the entire game to get back to where I was.

Getting from the start of the game to the end of every route (not just 1-4, but the Chaos/Law/Neutral variants via WORLD) took like 8 hours tops. Many maps ended on the first turn.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeah, a team of 11 archers and Canopus is pretty much the dream. There's other cool and interesting things that you can use, but there's often no reason to.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got so bored playing Tactics Ogre, so I resorted to cheating, but that was boring too so I never got more than a couple of chapters into it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nakar posted:

One time I lost my save so for a joke I just made 12 Archers and played through the entire game to get back to where I was.

Getting from the start of the game to the end of every route (not just 1-4, but the Chaos/Law/Neutral variants via WORLD) took like 8 hours tops. Many maps ended on the first turn.
Archers are insane. I did like the nice revelation when I got the trajectory upgrade and realized you could shoot outside of the highlighted range.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

theshim posted:

Yeah, a team of 11 archers and Canopus is pretty much the dream. There's other cool and interesting things that you can use, but there's often no reason to.

Strategy rpg in a nutshell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are plenty of strategy RPGs where exploring your options is valuable. tactics ogre... is bad

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Endorph posted:

there are plenty of strategy RPGs where exploring your options is valuable. tactics ogre... is bad

Tactics Orge... is great. But more because of the stuff around the gameplay than the gameplay itself, that's relatively standard SRPG.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Basically every gameplay thing added to the TO remake except for Chariot was loving awful and actively detracts from the game. Based on everything Matsuno has made since 1997 I'm convinced that FFT was a total fluke and he is just a terrible game designer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if the PS1 version of TO still goes for money, I really need to sell that if so.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Tactics Ogre is good but you are right about it absolutely punishing you for trying anything new. Unless you like grinding or something, then it's a weird reward I guess.

Oh yeah, when you cheat make sure you also cheat all the classmarks in so you can use whatever you want whenever you want instead of recruiting a level 1 pirate in Chapter loving 4.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Most SRPGs seem exceptionally broken by one thing or another. Everyone loved FFT but it's tough to keep up the lie that it has any degree of difficulty.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Grinding up new classes is obnoxious, but it's really the least obnoxious thing in the game. Just change every character you like into that class and have them auto-battle chumpy enemies while you do something more entertaining.

Of course there are exceptions like the aforementioned pirate who can't be assed to give you 3-5 spare marks unlike practically every other unique character, but hey you can intuitively get more marks by doing the obvious and exorcising three specific skeletons in a specific map of a boring rear end dungeon, if you're lucky they might drop some

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Nakar posted:

Most SRPGs seem exceptionally broken by one thing or another. Everyone loved FFT but it's tough to keep up the lie that it has any degree of difficulty.
I actually didn't like FFT much at all, I am That Guy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nakar posted:

It's really just an inherent quality of the difficulty of balancing asymmetric games, especially when you're producing a product to sell to people where you often have to aim to cover a variety of playstyles ("the guy who loves to minmax" vs. "the guy who wants to play a themed party). The more variables you introduce into the game (like FFT), the harder it is to hold on to any semblance of balance.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And if you clamp down too hard you get Hoshigami.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Nakar posted:

Most RPGs seem exceptionally broken by one thing or another.

Fixed.

I'm not sure if there even is one RPG (with reasonably complex systems) that wouldn't qualify as broken by one thing or another.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Well I know the TO chat hasn't been the most flattering, but I still want to play through the game at least once in my life. I take it, based on the complaints about it, that I should avoid the PSP remake and play the PSX version?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So since this thread seems to know such things, what was the obvious way to break Ogre Battle (SNES) that I missed out on? :smith:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

chairface posted:

So since this thread seems to know such things, what was the obvious way to break Ogre Battle (SNES) that I missed out on? :smith:
Abuse tarot card, buy Jokers for more, get a Lich or just some Sorcerers, a Princess if you get a Crown.

One Wyvern and two Mages can park on the enemy retreat line and wipe all leaderless units, so everyone else can use Leader tactics and not over level and lose alignment.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MockingQuantum posted:

Well I know the TO chat hasn't been the most flattering, but I still want to play through the game at least once in my life. I take it, based on the complaints about it, that I should avoid the PSP remake and play the PSX version?

The PSP remake is better in every way, despite claims of crafting and poo poo (it's not remotely required, I beat the game without it). Mostly for the shear convenience of the chariot system which lets you do all 3 branches really easily. The new PSP characters are also cool.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

The complaints are really about the game in general, the PSP remake is still a better version overall, I think.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

MockingQuantum posted:

Definitely go PSP unless you're big on being a completionist, in which case it becomes a fools' errand which will drive you to the brink of madness.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just play the PSP version and don't sweat the complaints. Mostly it's just frustration about a game that could have been a legend if they had fixed about 4 things.

The secret to enjoying SRPGs is mostly self restraint. Like don't go nuts and pack 12 archers. Yes it's very effective and busts the game, but it's not very fun and you miss out on messing with other classes.

Crafting you can ignore and be fine. If you don't, the normal game crafting is not very frustrating and only a little time consuming of you just focus on weapons and ignore armor.

The class levels are the most salient problems. You'll likely get some special classes as you play and wonder how you are supposed to catch them up. There is no nice answer to that outside of cheating so just ignore them if you don't want to grind them up in autobattles.

Finally, don't play the post game/Palace of the Dead/Optional stuff in Chapter 4. This is when the item system takes a complete dump on the player. Just stick to the main game and plot and call it a day when you finish. Watch any post game scenes on YouTube (all of one you may want to watch).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

PSP is unquestionably better, it just has some baffling additions is all. While class grinding can suck later in the game, it's also nice because anyone who switches to that class doesn't have to grind their own levels. So if you got Denam to level 10 Knight, anyone else who class changes to Knight will be Level 10. It's good, but it's lovely with some of the rarer classes. I'm not kidding when I say use Cheat Engine to cheat 99 of every classmark into your inventory.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Was Eternal Ring rushed or something? Getting the first two elemental keys was quite an adventure and then the game just goes "oh, you need two more," puts them at the end of two short areas, with one boss fight between them. Also, my wind ended up so strong Tornado kills everything in one or two castings, including enemies not weak to the element.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

Was Eternal Ring rushed or something? Getting the first two elemental keys was quite an adventure and then the game just goes "oh, you need two more," puts them at the end of two short areas, with one boss fight between them. Also, my wind ended up so strong Tornado kills everything in one or two castings, including enemies not weak to the element.

Probably. It was a launch title.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

if they fix the bug that makes the game impossible to complete, that's a pro buy because it's a really good game

Is it this bug? http://www.destructoid.com/psa-pandora-s-tower-has-a-game-freezing-bug-251984.phtml

It looks like there's a workaround.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nakar posted:

thats better than the alternative and is probably why everyone likes it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

it is a huge hassle and ruins the flow of the game to workaround, plus the bug isn't in the eu release. it's embarassing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nakar posted:

What? I'm replaying FFT for the third time and I still die about twice every other battle. Even after I got Orlandu, I'm running into Ninjas that use stop bracelet every turn resulting in instant death and monsters that cast bio causing the entire party to be petrified or turned to frogs. Right now, I'm at Murond Death City on a battle with dragons. One dragon will kill Orlandu in a single turn using Triple Flame which takes away 2x his HP. Once that happens, I can never get Raise 2 off. Ramza is killed with two gunshots.

Maybe it's not hard if you grind or are an expert at it.

By the way, has any good strategy RPGs come out since FFT?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dozens, yes

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

By the way, has any good strategy RPGs come out since FFT?

If you can get into Disgaea, absolutely.

Also I would personally say FFTA2 was great, but I admit it may not be for everyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*clears throat*

fire emblem: thracia 776
fire emblem: binding blade
fire emblem: blazing sword
fire emblem: sacred stones
fire emblem: path of radiance
fire emblem: radiant dawn
fire emblem: heroes of light and shadow
fire emblem: awakening
disgaea
disgaea 2
disgaea 4
disgaea d2
soul nomad & the world eaters
jeanne d'arc
valkyrie profile: covenant of the plume
final fantasy tactics advance
final fantasy tactics advance a2
devil survivor
devil survivor 2
shining force: resurrection of dark dragon
yggdra union
too many decent super robot wars games to list

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

FFT isn't even a very good srpg. It's a pretty good game but the gameplay is carried by the Job System

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

FFT isn't even a very good srpg. It's a pretty good game but the gameplay is carried by the Job System
actually you'll find that fft is the only good srpg ever made

note: its the only one ive ever played, or am even aware of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Endorph posted:

*clears throat*

fire emblem: thracia 776
fire emblem: binding blade
fire emblem: blazing sword
fire emblem: sacred stones
fire emblem: path of radiance
fire emblem: radiant dawn
fire emblem: heroes of light and shadow
fire emblem: awakening
disgaea
disgaea 2
disgaea 4
disgaea d2
soul nomad & the world eaters
jeanne d'arc
valkyrie profile: covenant of the plume
final fantasy tactics advance
final fantasy tactics advance a2
devil survivor
devil survivor 2
shining force: resurrection of dark dragon
yggdra union
too many decent super robot wars games to list

That's a lot of names. What's the best one?

Also, I don't have any portable systems. So best one that's not for a portable.

I really hate that particular anime style and humor of Disgaea. I tried it for a few hours and it wasn't doing much for me. I'd rather something like FFT and Vandal Hearts. I've never played Tactics Ogre. I was thinking about trying that.