Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

casual poster posted:

I just got a bialetti non-stick ceramic pan. Washed it before cooking. Cooked some chicken on it and while doing it I noticed a nasty plastic smell. I moved the handle a little further away from the flame and the smell seemed to have stopped. Can I still eat the chicken?

I think I got the same thing, is it one of those beige/gray pans? I'd err on the side of not eating it but I don't think it'll kill your right away if you were starving on a desert island. I also got a plasticky smell that eventually went away. It also eventually degraded so I moved onto things that aren't non-stick coated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Question for you all...

My sister (who is a professional cook, mostly line at sort of trendy/dive places) - admired the hell out of the sausage maker I got this year, so on her birthday, I got her one ( a nice mid/lower range LEM brand one, stand alone). Around the same time, she finally got her crazy rear end digestive problems sorted out by a real gastroenterologist, and was put on a no 'FODMAPS' diet. She made me watch the video of her 'Incredible Journey' tape, too...

Contrary to how I always cook (so I am completely stumped) - she can't have any garlic, or onions on this diet. It's like a 4 page can't have it list. It's really worked for her, and I am not a medical person, so I am not questioning things.

I just asked her if she'd used the sausage maker yet, and she said with no garlic or onions, she could only make sausage of sadness. Do you guys have any ideas of sausage recipes that would not use those? I put onions and garlic into just about everything I cook, including sausage (which I'm quite new to) - so I am stumped.

Help!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Arkhamina posted:

Question for you all...

My sister (who is a professional cook, mostly line at sort of trendy/dive places) - admired the hell out of the sausage maker I got this year, so on her birthday, I got her one ( a nice mid/lower range LEM brand one, stand alone). Around the same time, she finally got her crazy rear end digestive problems sorted out by a real gastroenterologist, and was put on a no 'FODMAPS' diet. She made me watch the video of her 'Incredible Journey' tape, too...

Contrary to how I always cook (so I am completely stumped) - she can't have any garlic, or onions on this diet. It's like a 4 page can't have it list. It's really worked for her, and I am not a medical person, so I am not questioning things.

I just asked her if she'd used the sausage maker yet, and she said with no garlic or onions, she could only make sausage of sadness. Do you guys have any ideas of sausage recipes that would not use those? I put onions and garlic into just about everything I cook, including sausage (which I'm quite new to) - so I am stumped.

Help!

Hmmm. I'm thinking something with fatty pork, shredded, salted and squeezed out cabbage, lots of grated ginger, soy sauce, a bit of vinegar, a little sugar and some corn or potato starch to tighten it up. Sort of like gyoza filling with a heavy dose of ginger to complement the pork.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

BraveUlysses posted:

make sure to check the note above the recipe

Note: 4 pounds of chicken for the 4 quarts of water here is the minimum I've found that will produce a good, flavorful stock; packing in even more chicken, up to 8 pounds per 4 quarts, will yield an even richer, deeper stock. Different parts of the chicken will contribute different amounts of gelatin to the stock. Breast meat produces a deliciously flavorful stock that is very thin, while wings produce a slightly less clean flavor with lots of gelatin. If, even after being fully refrigerated, your stock still looks thin like water, add the gelatin solution below. Feel free to add other herbs, such as fresh thyme or bay leaves.

I don't have a scale so I had no way of really knowing how much the frozen parts I had accumulated weighed. I estimated about 4-5 lbs so I probably should have used less water. Anything I can do to add more flavor?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goodness posted:

I don't have a scale so I had no way of really knowing how much the frozen parts I had accumulated weighed. I estimated about 4-5 lbs so I probably should have used less water. Anything I can do to add more flavor?

----> add some salt after it's cooked is the number one way.

Caramelize the vegetables before you put them in.

I've also never cooked it for only an hour and a half. wtf is that? Let it slowly cook for at least 6-8 hours. Usually I'll let it simmer for a day and a night.

Chicken stock will always be lighter in taste than beef and stuff, it's not going to be a flavor heavy type of thing. You can roast the chicken bones and some vegetables before putting them in, you can simmer it longer and leave the top off to reduce liquid, you can add spices to the liquid according to your tastes, but it's never going to knock your socks off with extreme flavor from flavor country.

It's a great base that provides a lovely foundation for other things is what it is. I like to drink it, or cook rice in it in lieu of plain water, or use it in soups with lots of beans and vegetables.

Sometimes I'll reduce it to the point where it shapes up due to natural gelatin, but mostly I have so much water added to it that it stays a liquid - it's easier for me to dole out and measure that way.

Arkhamina posted:

Question for you all...
My sister :words:
Help!
Have her look to India and Asian recipes. A lot of them don't use garlic or onion as a matter of belief, or general unavailability. Fennel and apple makes for some tasty sausage. She could also check out using asafoetida powder as a substitute for the garlic/onions. it's not exact, but it's something.
Carroway, nutmeg and marjoram make great sausage spices - add those to meat and hot drat. Pepper, sugar, coriander, ginger - sweet jesus.
Instead of the sugar you can add diced apple, pineapple, sun-dried tomatoes or mango/papaya or lord knows what else.

If she's a cook, tell her to look at stuff like this poo poo and make substitutions. I can't see why she wouldn't be able to enjoy sausage.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 12, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Have her look to India and Asian recipes. A lot of them don't use garlic or onion as a matter of belief, or general unavailability.
Specifically Brahmin and Ayurvedic cuisine, if you need some keywords, but I'm pretty sure they just use asafoetida, too.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Jainists do not eat garlic or onion (or any root veggies), and generally use hing/asafoetida to substitute for those flavors in the cuisine.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SubG posted:

Random note: you can pickle peppers whole, but I usually cut off the stem end first.

I do this because my habs always seem slightly prone to alternaria infection (that's the black fuzzy fungus that you can find inside the pods even when the pepper looks intact), so I always take off the stem end to let me inspect the peppers for infection, and I assume that if peppers have fungal spores that haven't germinated yet getting the vinegar in there sooner will help prevent spoilage.

Ah, makes sense. If I end up either freezing or pickling this sounds like a good idea.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

My husband has mild reactions to onion so I don't use it in anything. I do use some garlic but not a ton. You just get used to not having onion in things and it's not that big of a deal really. Celery or fennel cooked down in tiny cubes can help give a base flavor that is not onion but does do something.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Does nutmeg go with everything?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BattleCattle posted:

Does nutmeg go with everything?
more or less.

Plus_Infinity posted:

My husband has mild reactions to onion so I don't use it in anything. I do use some garlic but not a ton. You just get used to not having onion in things and it's not that big of a deal really. Celery or fennel cooked down in tiny cubes can help give a base flavor that is not onion but does do something.

Leek is another way you can go. I'm not sure if an onion allergy would be triggered by leeks, though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Leek is another way you can go. I'm not sure if an onion allergy would be triggered by leeks, though.
If it's an actual allergy, almost certainly. The allergens that are characteristic of garlic and onions (there are a few of them) are found in other alliums like leeks. There are also a couple others that aren't exclusive to alliums but would cause a reaction from consumption of celery, some citrus, rice, nuts, and so on.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SubG posted:

If it's an actual allergy, almost certainly. The allergens that are characteristic of garlic and onions (there are a few of them) are found in other alliums like leeks. There are also a couple others that aren't exclusive to alliums but would cause a reaction from consumption of celery, some citrus, rice, nuts, and so on.

No leeks, onions, garlic, shallots, scallions? What a hollow existence.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

SubG posted:

Yeah for him it's nothing in the onion family at all, so no shallots or leeks or anything. Total bummer!!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Arkhamina posted:

Question for you all...

Help!

Probably not very helpful, but if they'd give me a 4 page can't have it list,
I'd probably start by making my own list of all the things I CAN have.

it's easier to cook from a list of things you can have, than from a list of things that you cannot have.

If you google FODMAPS, there are a lot of can have lists around already, to get you (her) started.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx
It probably isn't new, but rolled ice cream(appears to be a milk/cream smoothie made with custom ingredients played out on a slab of some kind of super chilled metal(like an anti-griddle)) seems to be in vogue. What is the history of this, besides somebody taking the term"shave ice" to an unexpected and welcomed end-point. It reminds me of watching people make fudge on marble table on Mackinaw Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybb57frsdKk

FetusSlapper fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 13, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What all can I do with Sauerkraut? I used to hate that stuff but lately have discovered a liking for it.

EDIT: ^ That video is super cool!

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 13, 2015

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Make Choucroûte garni! And maybe some Schweinshaxe.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

FetusSlapper posted:

It probably isn't new, but rolled ice cream(appears to be a milk/cream smoothie made with custom ingredients played out on a slab of some kind of super chilled metal(like an anti-griddle)) seems to be in vogue. What is the history of this, besides somebody taking the term"shave ice" to an unexpected and welcomed end-point. It reminds me of watching people make fudge on marble table on Mackinaw Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybb57frsdKk

Are you lucky enough never to have stepped foot in a Cold Stone Creamery?

like it love it GOTTA HAVE IT

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Lawnie posted:

Are you lucky enough never to have stepped foot in a Cold Stone Creamery?

like it love it GOTTA HAVE IT

Nope, is this something they do? I though it was something similar, like take topping and chop it with already frozen ice cream, but what I'm interested in would be people taking toppings + an ice cream base and making the ice cream "iced" literally in front of you. And then scraping it up making it into rolls. Last time I was some where that Ice cream was the main attraction I was yelling at my brother to let me have turn on the weird purple horse that gyrated for a penny@2minutes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FetusSlapper posted:

Nope, is this something they do? I though it was something similar, like take topping and chop it with already frozen ice cream, but what I'm interested in would be people taking toppings + an ice cream base and making the ice cream "iced" literally in front of you. And then scraping it up making it into rolls. Last time I was some where that Ice cream was the main attraction I was yelling at my brother to let me have turn on the weird purple horse that gyrated for a penny@2minutes.

It's always been a thing, I thought. Mainly in places where tourists vacation - that's where I've always seen it. Much more portable/convenient to have a little freezer unit and ice your milk and toppings than trying to keep pints of ice cream frozen. And the showmanship aspect. Tourists love looking at fuckin' stupid, everyday things.

It was big in Thailand and beach parts of Mexico when I visited years ago.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
When a recipe asks for onion & garlic powder for a rub - can you just substitute it with finely minced onion & garlic? Going to make crockpot pulled pork on sunday.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

the dried spices are pretty different from minced onion/garlic.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

When a recipe asks for onion & garlic powder for a rub - can you just substitute it with finely minced onion & garlic? Going to make crockpot pulled pork on sunday.

The flavor profiles are different, as will be the texture of the final product I suspect.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I dont have a question. I would like to bitch about the recipes section of the New York Times and I don't know where else to go.

It's all fussy, stupid, and usually wrong. It's like a 40 year old hipster-wannabe mom telling you aluminum foil will taint the flavor of your baked potato or some dumb poo poo.

It's like "deconstructed pesto," which is actually a recipe they have. It is loving PESTO. You just leave the ingredients in whole pieces! gently caress You!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

It's like "deconstructed pesto," which is actually a recipe they have. It is loving PESTO. You just leave the ingredients in whole pieces! gently caress You!

How can pesto be deconstructed if none of the individual ingredients themselves have been deconstructed from their original form?

Makes you think.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

So it's a salad?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Drifter posted:

So it's a salad?

quote:

Budget-friendly boneless, skinless chicken thighs are paired here with a version of pesto that is closer to salad than paste.

Yep.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I guess I just feel like everything on there is so overwrought. You'd think they invented the loving pork tenderloin, reading their poo poo. Like the recipe editor really wants to be SAVEUR, all the way to the poncey splash-the-table-with-the-sauce photography, but they'll apply that treatment to buttered goddamn noodles and call it "New York Style Semolina Twigs With Molten Aerated Leche"

The rabbit hole entrance was that their shakshuka recipe calls for cast iron and a preheated oven.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I guess I just feel like everything on there is so overwrought. You'd think they invented the loving pork tenderloin, reading their poo poo. Like the recipe editor really wants to be SAVEUR, all the way to the poncey splash-the-table-with-the-sauce photography, but they'll apply that treatment to buttered goddamn noodles and call it "New York Style Semolina Twigs With Molten Aerated Leche"

The rabbit hole entrance was that their shakshuka recipe calls for cast iron and a preheated oven.

It's not stock, it's Bone Broth. I'd talk more, but I gotta go do some Crossfit.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drifter posted:

So it's a salad?
And predicated on the not-particularly inflammatory idea that flavour pairings that work usually work even outside their traditional preparations. I mean calling it deconstructed whatever the gently caress is a bit precious, but the underlying idea's fine as far as that goes.

And the ritualistically pure way to make pesto (mortar and wooden pestle) isn't anywhere close to the best way to make pesto. So there's that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

And predicated on the not-particularly inflammatory idea that flavour pairings that work usually work even outside their traditional preparations. I mean calling it deconstructed whatever the gently caress is a bit precious, but the underlying idea's fine as far as that goes.

And the ritualistically pure way to make pesto (mortar and wooden pestle) isn't anywhere close to the best way to make pesto. So there's that.

Well, it's certainly not risky to think that greens, delicious nuts and cheese, and oil and spices would be delicious no matter the method of preparation.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

For future reference, most of us vent about dumb poo poo like that here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465868

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For future reference, most of us vent about dumb poo poo like that here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465868

I did not know that existed! Thanks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I had a butcher grind me fresh beef mince to make with burgers so I could eat them medium/medium rare without being too concerned. I ended up with too much mince though, how long will it be fine for burgers like this?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What can I do with tuna besides add tons of mayo and sweet relish for tuna 'salad'. I'm thinking some tuna, rice, and salsa, but what spices should I throw in there? I get the packets, they're a lot better I've heard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

What can I do with tuna besides add tons of mayo and sweet relish for tuna 'salad'. I'm thinking some tuna, rice, and salsa, but what spices should I throw in there? I get the packets, they're a lot better I've heard.

cooked beans - whatever type you want -, celery chunks, diced jalapeno peppers, finely diced onion, maybe some vinegar, definitely olive oil and lemon juice. Maybe a chopped hard-boiled egg.

grilled and smooshed eggplant, chopped olives/capers, chopped tomatoes, diced red pepper, probably other stuff, maybe an egg.

roasted corn, chopped pickles, some sweet stuff, some type of basic salsa, other stuff, maybe some Parmesan cheese.

I don't know what spice packets are. Like Onion Soup Mix or stuff in a Ramen package? I like Chipotle pepper because it's nice and smokey, and sweet paprika because it's paprika. Fennel is always good.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 16, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Jose posted:

I had a butcher grind me fresh beef mince to make with burgers so I could eat them medium/medium rare without being too concerned. I ended up with too much mince though, how long will it be fine for burgers like this?

A week or so, maybe two (if your container has a good seal and you keep your fridge cold). Freeze it after that; it'll defrost with very little loss in texture.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Drifter posted:

cooked beans - whatever type you want -, celery chunks, diced jalapeno peppers, finely diced onion, maybe some vinegar, definitely olive oil and lemon juice. Maybe a chopped hard-boiled egg.

grilled and smooshed eggplant, chopped olives/capers, chopped tomatoes, diced red pepper, probably other stuff, maybe an egg.

roasted corn, chopped pickles, some sweet stuff, some type of basic salsa, other stuff, maybe some Parmesan cheese.

I don't know what spice packets are. Like Onion Soup Mix or stuff in a Ramen package? I like Chipotle pepper because it's nice and smokey, and sweet paprika because it's paprika. Fennel is always good.

I meant the packets of tuna instead of cans. I don't buy pre-mixed spices, sorry for the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

I meant the packets of tuna instead of cans. I don't buy pre-mixed spices, sorry for the confusion.

I think the quality difference between tuna packets and tuna cans are negligible, but the prices aren't. I don't know of any singular benefit for buying pouches other than to look cooler than your traditionalist, can-eating counterpart. Just make sure the cans are BPA free or whatever, I guess. Many are, these days.