Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

ASL POCKET RULEBOOK CONTAINING ALL OF CHAPTERS A-G FOR $40 IM SO HARD RIGHT NOW

Were they selling copies of it(/did you get one)? I'm super tempted to get one when it releases fully, seems like a really useful piece of kit, not least because it doubles how many rules me and my opponent can look up at the same time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

INinja132 posted:

Were they selling copies of it(/did you get one)? I'm super tempted to get one when it releases fully, seems like a really useful piece of kit, not least because it doubles how many rules me and my opponent can look up at the same time!

I wasn't at WBC, a buddy of mine posted those pics on Facebook. A couple MMP employees commented on the photos and said that the pocket rulebooks will be in the web store for $40 in the next few weeks.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

I wasn't at WBC, a buddy of mine posted those pics on Facebook. A couple MMP employees commented on the photos and said that the pocket rulebooks will be in the web store for $40 in the next few weeks.

Ah OK then, thanks for the info.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
A shameless self promotion, but if anyone is interested I have a wargames sale on the SA-Mart

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735821&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post448815505

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I'm on a bit of a Roman binge. Does anyone have an opinion on Pax Romana? I'm kind of after something that plays more that 2. Maybe I should just wait for the COIN game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mcbagpipes posted:

A shameless self promotion, but if anyone is interested I have a wargames sale on the SA-Mart

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735821&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post448815505

mcbagpipes posted:

Totaler Krieg WWII in Europe Decision Games $35.00

Thread is this the current version of TK or was there an updated one? (Dibs)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

From the box cover alone that's the original version. The updated version is Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Does anyone know anything about Triumph & Tragedy? It seems pretty interesting although it seemingly got overshadowed by Churchill.

Just to expand on from the other post, I've only played a couple of rounds in a quick rules-training game, but it does have a nice feel to it.

If you've played Victory by Columbia Games, the combat system will be very familiar to you. Each block type is worth the same build points as each other and will roll a number of dice equal to their strength, with to-hit values based on the class of unit they are shooting at (air, land, naval, subs). The order of unit fire is based on unit type, so forts fire first, then air units, carriers, etc, down to infantry who fire last. Defender fires first when units of the same type fight each other.

The game has no stacking limits, but it does have border limits and a frighteningly small unit pool. If you've played Europe Engulfed, you may have gotten annoyed at how the blocks don't mean much when fighting in mainland Europe (gee, you have 52 pips of infantry, I was only expecting 48). In Triumph, Russia has 16 blocks of infantry, 8 tanks and six forts as their ground units, all with a max of three pips. Sure they have some naval and air blocks as well, but you can't afford to mass units like you can in Europe Engulfed, especially with the chance that the West may turn on you, and invade up through Persia or make northern naval landings to take Leningrad or Moscow.

Units hit hard as well. Infantry fire at G3 (hitting ground units on a 1-3), along with A1 and N1. Tanks are G2 but fire before infantry. Air units are A3 N1 G1. Fleets are A1 N3 G1. Fights where neither side runs away will be rough, and there is a clear difference between air and naval units providing ground support, and those attacking their own unit type. If you send a group of planes to attack an enemy stack, assuming it's just a bunch of tanks and infantry, and you find out it has air support, you're going to regret it for turns to come. Land battles fight one round and can drag on between turns, but sea battles keep going until one side withdraws all their units, or is at the bottom of the ocean.

The techs are mainly either atomic techs for the tech victory (which looks really hard to pull off, because if the other players realise what you're doing, they can pocket the final tech cards you need to finish the bomb, or will go all out to kill you), and techs that give a unit type fire-first, allowing them to fire before the defender, unless the defender also has that tech. The other techs increase the movement range of planes or infantry, fleet get a better sub hit rating, and air units get more dice when defending friendly territory. Fire-first seems like it's a pretty minor tech, but it does make British fleets or German air units or whatever pretty scary, because you can't counter them anymore by just throwing the same unit type in their way. Until you get the same tech (and one of the required cards for that tech pair is now permanently out of the deck in front of someone), you'll have to construct your defence with Russian super-tanks in mind.

There's surprisingly little chrome, and the flow of the game is built around minor rules and systems. If a power invades a minor country, the other powers get to draw some action cards based on how populated that country was. Because action cards can be used for diplomacy or troop movement, one person going nuts with invasions makes it easier for you to soft align neutrals, or to power your own war machine in response. The action cards for movement have a letter for initiative, and a number for how many combat units you can move. The cards most likely to go in the middle of the turn have the highest movement values, so if you want to get the jump on someone, or watch to see what everyone else does (maybe hoping to pair it with going first next season for back-to-back moves), you'll be doing it with fewer units. The seasons also ramp up and down, so Summer is the season to be fighting in, because it allows up to ten blocks to be moved with middle initiative card. And countries like France, Italy and Russia have three max pip units rather than four, so point for point they are just as good as the other nations, but they are slightly less efficient at using your action points and crossing borders to attack.

Your production value is just the lowest number of your industry, population and resources, but you don't count resources in peace time. Germany starts the game with a good hand of initiative cards and blocks, but few resources. They want to get as many neutrals on side through force or diplomacy to get their resources through conquest or trade before they hit a major power. If someone declares war on you, you get a discount to building factories (industry). If Germany attacks the West and knocks out France, the West will focus on their population and resource holdings in Africa/Asia as well as the US, and ramping up their now cheaper industry. Germany will work on blockading or harassing those trade links to the UK to starve them out. Russia will spend all of their resources on a navy and invade the US just like in Red Alert 2. Okay, maybe not, but it's totally on the map so I think they should at least try.

In fact, there are only two chrome rules: US entry to the war and Russia gets their own winter season for moves/attacks inside Russia. Everything else is managed by minor rules nudging you in the right direction. The has the benefit of not hard locking you into play path; if the West ignores building up units in favour of technology, maybe jump France early or go nuts with an opening Sea Lion. But it also sometimes shows rough spots, like when Austria gets invaded, you draw some action cards as the world reacts, and you will now be able to influence Latin America and Turkey. I also found the first diplomacy phase dragged a bit, as Germany starts with a massive hand of action cards that it needs to burn through that phase (hand sizes are assessed only at that point), while the other two powers snipe away any influence they place down.

I'm looking forward to a full game. I think it has a lot of potential for a three way war-game with political banter, which is also pretty easy to teach.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

From the box cover alone that's the original version. The updated version is Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg

Correct. And from what I hear there are quite a few changes between the TK and AE:TK versions that make the older one obsolete.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pretty much. blackmongoose knows more details regarding this, since I've never actually tried the original version of the game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got Ambush! in the mail yesterday, so that's one holy grail game down!

Read through part of the rules last night, it's a really, really cool system. I think it'll sit in for a solitaire "ASL-esque" game since I can't afford Solitaire ASL.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
Re- Triumph and Tragedy, I got half a game in with my roommates late Saturday night, we finished the first 5 turns before calling it. Mostly an introductory game as we all learned the rules and saw how it played. Trip report time:

I was the Axis, USSR was determined to be the victor (We had to clear the table to play Battletech/Mechwarrior RPG the next day so we couldn't leave it out and didn't have time to finish it before then). After my first half-play through I feel like the Investment cards are nearly worthless, at least for the Axis. I bought two or three Investment cards the first few turns and didn't use them. None of the techs ever matched, and the factory numbers were not the most efficient for upgrading Axis Industry (and I needed more Population and Resources to begin with). I had one Atomic Level 1 tech, but on turn three or so the USSR player used an espionage card to blind draw it from my hand, and then I immediately used an espionage card to copy his newly acquired tech after he matched it with an Atomic Level 1 he already had. Those were the only two techs anyone acquired during all 5 turns. Eventually upgraded my Industry with efficient use of Investment cards three times. This didn't matter in the end, maintained 11-11-12-13-14 Production until the end of Turn 5, if we had continued to a Turn 6 it would have dropped to 7.

Not knowing exactly what to expect going in I did starting unit placement for the Axis of a Fortress and Infantry in nearly every territory where units started. A Fleet or two and an Air Force with the Italians, 4 Fleets in Berlin and an Armor Corps and Air Force in the Ruhr. I feel like I should have ignored Fleets entirely for the Germans and put more Infantry out. The G1 ground support value of Fleets, Carriers, and Air Forces makes them seem very lackluster in combat. Knowing the USSR player to be a usually "turtle up and defend" kind of guy in nearly any game we play, I put 4 Fleets down thinking I would probably end up declaring war on the West, who is a usually much more aggressive player. Most turns saw me spending around 8 Production on upgrading my existing Fortresses, Infantry, and Armor, plus a newly built Armor and Air Force in Germany. There just wasn't enough production to upgrade all of my ground forces every turn while still buying cards, and I felt like I needed as many 4 step Fortresses and Infantry as I could get. I probably spent too much Production upgrading an Italian Fleet to control the Med and an Italian Fortress in Tripoli, seeing as the West player never even touched his French North Africa block or his blocks in India.

The Diplomacy card play was very interesting. Towards the beginning of the game we did screw up one rule, or at least I did. For some reason I thought that when you're playing cards to influence a Neutral Nation, you would be limited to raising their Influence by one per turn. I started the game with 5 cards in hand to influence Austria, and only used one of them for that purpose, not realizing that I could have played three to make it a Satellite since neither of the other players could influence it. All three of us fought over influencing Latin America for its 2 resources and just cancelled each other out. The West player used two or three cards a turn to influence USA and USSR or I would counter it every time. After turn 3 I had 1 influence in Austria, 2 in Greece, 2 in Finland, 1 in Poland, 1 in Rumania, 1 in Bulgaria, 1 in Portugal, 1 in Spain, 1 in Latin America, 1 in Yugoslavia, and 1 in Afghanistan (I don't know why I played that card). USSR had 1 influence in Hungary. The West had 1 influence in the Low Countries. I guess I was too much of a threat with all of my "Associate" Neutral Nations.

During the Command Phase of Turn 3 the USSR player surprised us by invading Rumania and easily defeating the Fortress that popped up to defend. The West player and I didn't even have Action cards left for the Command Phases since we had been spending everything we could on countering influence and attempting to get as much population and resources as possible. I'm not sure why but neither of my opponents ever upgraded their Industry, or bought many Investment cards, despite the fact that both the West and the USSR start with much higher Population and Resources than Industry. They both complained about their lack of Production, and seemed to be fully aware of the rules and the fact that their low Industry track was limiting Production, yet they seemed focused on trying to acquire more Pop and Res through diplomacy (as well as trying to deny it to me). The USSR player apparently decided "gently caress it, let's see what happens if I go to war".

Since he invaded Rumania when it was only at Influence 1 for me, an "Associate" Neutral, the influence disappears and there was no effect besides the West and I both drawing free Action cards. Turn 4 saw the West player playing a slew of diplomacy Action cards to all but destroy my influence. I lost Latin America, Spain, and he played two diplomacy Wild Cards to immediately reduce my influence to 1 in both Finland and Greece. None of the Action cards I drew had diplomacy options that I needed, and many of them were 7-8-9-10 value command so I kept most of them for future combat. The West player also played 3 cards at once to influence Czechoslovakia and turn it into a Satellite, unopposed since neither USSR or I had cards for it. Command Phase of Turn 4 saw the USSR invading my now open Finland, since a 2 influence "Protectorate" is an automatic declaration of war on the holding power and Finland was reduced to 1 influence and only an "Associate". They also invaded Bulgaria and Turkey. I decided that since I did not have the right cards to align them with me, I should invade Austria and the western half of Poland. The USSR player looked content to just take every Neutral he had a border with and drat the free Action cards the West and I would be drawing. He continued to complain about his lack of Production, while seeming to be in full awareness that none of the Neutrals would ever give him anything besides yet more of his over abundant Pop and Res.

The USSR's advance into Turkey was rebuked at both Ankara and Istanbul. In Turn 5 the West moved all but 1 of his blocks out of the British Isles and into the sea bordering Germany, after he had played yet another diplomacy Wild Card to remove my last influence on Greece, and another card to influence Spain by 1. I had built up everything on the western front expecting that he might attack me, had no influence to play, and in the Spring Command Phase took over Yugoslavia with the forces that had taken Austria, and moved my forces in Western Poland and Konigsberg into the two eastern territories of Poland. The USSR played no card for the Spring, but in the Summer declared war on me and invaded Axis occupied Poland. I held in Poland but sustained losses and retreated back to Konigsberg and Berlin, the more battered 1 step blocks to Berlin and anything else holing up in Konigsberg. I counterattacked from Yugoslavia into Rumania with a full strength Infantry and Armor, destroying two 2 step Russian Armor Corps and leaving the USSR player with three 1 step Infantry and a supporting Fleet and Carrier to defend it on the Fall Command Phase. In the Fall the USSR player retreated all of his units out of Turkey, and brought as many reserves as he could in the form of Fleets and Air Forces to support his ground forces in Rumania, while invading the undefended eastern half of Poland. His attack in Rumania seemed desperate.. three 1 step Infantry and multiple supporting Fleets/Carrier/Air Forces all at 1 or 2 steps attacking a 4 step Infantry and 3 step Armor. He rolled a couple 1s with the supporting Air and Naval units to knock my defenders down to a 3 step Infantry and 2 step Armor, I thought I would easily score enough hits rolling those 5 dice to take care of his Infantry. I rolled nothing but 5s and 6s. Then two of his single step Infantry scored a hit in return so I was left with a 2 step Infantry and 1 step Armor. Such is the dice. Sadly, I had no Fall cards to play in that phase so there was nothing else I could do.

At this point we had finished 1940 and it was around 2 a.m. so we called it. We were all fairly certain that the USSR would win since his declaration of war on me, plus the West undermining all of my neutrals, had dropped my Resource track to 7 and made them count for Production. I had less production than the USSR now and was attempting to maintain enough defenses to discourage the West from invading while fighting a losing war in the east. It would only be a matter of time before the USSR crushed me or the West decided to move in.

Overall I got the impression that unless you're attempting to blockade the West, Naval units are just a waste for the Axis. Infantry appears to be the most important unit type since the small number of territories on the map does not leave much room for blitzkrieg style maneuvers with the Armor corps unless an opponent leaves a territory completely undefended. The Infantry may fire last out of all units, but they hit the hardest vs. other Ground units, aside from Fortresses. The influence of Neutrals is incredibly important, especially for the Axis and their Resource problem. I'm very interested to play a full game of this as any of the factions, although I would like a rematch with my roommates as the Axis since I know that multiple influence can be gained on a Neutral in a single turn now.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Just got back from WBC. Not a great trip physically (connection missed both ways, bag lost for 4 days on the way out, the air in the building often disagreed with me - at least I stayed offsite) but lots of gaming and purchasing fun. There was so much gaming space! Huge rooms for each of wargaming tournaments, open gaming, euro tournaments. Also a few monster games set up in the hotel lobby. A much more play-focused event than GenCon.

Monday I learned Sekigahara from the demo and played in the tournament. There were 5 rounds, with prizes for sticking it out and winning late rounds even though you'd have no chance to win the event. I won my 2nd and 4th rounds as Ishida, and got a copy of the game for it. I was surprised how simple it was rules-wise. Having a super-friendly first round opponent who was very patient with my learning helped a lot too. My biggest complaint is the block size - when you have big groups it really obscures the board and/or threatens to fall. The 2nd round was a really slow player, we ran out of time after 5 or maybe even only 4 rounds and I had a lead on board. The other win was Tokugawa trying to sneak around a big force to Osaka, but I was able to reinforce it in time and then counterattack to finish him. Managed to get a game in with my roommate too, playing Tokugawa, but that ended prematurely as he moved a big stack with Ishida to threaten me without actually having the cards to activate his guys and I had 8 Tokugawa blocks with the cards.

Tuesday was the auction and store. Very easy to bid, I was concerned about getting verbal attention but you just hold up your number until the auctioneer is saying prices that are to high for you. I picked up Facts in Five, Field Commander Rommel deluxe, Field Commander Alexander (from the store, overpaid as it went for way less at auction. oh well), Empire of the Sun (first edition with some extra C3i counters or something), and Fields of Fire, for a total of $80. Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, and Star Wars Queen's Gambit were super tempting but I was unsure on each exactly how much I wanted to spend and already concerned about space/weight for the flight back. I also bought Fire in the Lake and ASL SK1 from some BGG people, and did some math trading for other games.

Tuesday night / Wednesday / Thursday was mostly Titan. Played 6 4-player games (the maximum that counts for you) getting 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 2nd. The first two games were really long because nobody knew how to roll 6s for movement after getting teleport at all. It was fantastic getting to play with so many champion-level players, they'd make moves that look good to me but I'd never have considered them. Hopefully that will help my battleboard play a bit. Sadly that result was not quite good enough for the semifinal - the player who got in ahead of me had one more 3rd. One player didn't show up for the SF so I was almost in, he showed during matchmaking. One more minute or so! Waiting around for that also caused me to miss the EotS demo.

In the last of my Titan tournament games I had a very lucky opening - recruited Hydra with my Angel stack after almost the minimum number of moves (recruited extra Gargoyle, Ranger en route, and had to skip the first Hydra from masterboard necessity). But my Titan stack didn't develop well due to being threatened for a while, and when I sent my Hydras to the outside to recruit another they never managed to get back into the action. One opponent wasn't doing that well, he tried to take out the other and failed - leaving David with Titan Angel Minotaur but many other stacks all over the board. David quickly managed to turn that into Titan Angel Minotaur Minotaur Unicorn, got into a tower for a Warlock, and then teleported to the mountains for a Dragon. So much for hitting him while he's vulnerable. After the game David suggested that I didn't really need so many Hydra since I had been lucky to get them so early, so in that situation I shouldn't take them to the outside.

The only other tournament heat I played in was Small World, just happened to be free when one was starting. Had to teach a new player, he got a crushing 1st and I got a crushed 4th. The way I played my first race (dragonmaster orcs) was more suited to a 2nd race (pulling my pieces to keep conquering / attriting enemies), I never really had a good declined income because of that.

I played one game of Space Empires 4X with my roommate (missed my scheduled one with others due to flight delay). He had never played but was absolutely insistent on using the super large map (each player takes one of the 4p corners, fill the rest of the board with deep space) and all the advanced rules. This game was played over two sessions as the first day I was feeling ill when in the open gaming room. We resumed it on Sunday in the wargame room which was much better ventilated, I think. Still didn't finish but he felt able to resign in the face of my better economy. He did have a few BB threatening me but not much support and they were due to run into mines. I had hoped to go for a little bit of a DD/SC rush, relative to him anyway, but a doomsday machine in between us made that not feasible for a while.

In games not suited for this thread, I played:
  • Hanabi with strangers and confusing multicoloureds (2p scoring 29, 3p scoring 30). Fancy conventions be damned! The first game literally all we said before the game was "You win the game by playing cards, everything else follows from that".
  • Mage Knight, 2p games with some of the Titan players. Got crushed, they were really good. It was nice to have my first PvP combat and first time playing not-Conquest/Volkare.
  • Tichu, again with the Titan players. I vastly prefer bridge but it's certainly a good pickup game. I had a few big newbie mistakes but mostly held my own.
  • Dominion Dark Ages, a 4p pickup game with some medium-experienced players. I went for Hermit / Rogue / Feodum which worked well enough to crush. One turn I actually bought Copper to prevent Hermit converting to Madman - had no desire for Madmen and needed Hermits to keep gaining Silver/Hermit and trashing Feodum. I think the rest of the kingdom was Sage / Hunting Grounds / Graverobber / Death Cart / Altar / Counterfeit. They had played one game with the set first and wanted to replay it.
  • Lost Cities, just seeing a person sitting alone with the box. We were both pretty sleepy - I think I won with mostly playing one colour with 2 multipliers, starting another two colours for minimal +/- just to get some cards down that I didn't want to pass.

On the way back my checked bag was 49.5 lbs (carryons had Titan / SE4X / FitL / Seki / FoF) - lucky to be under 50 without using a scale! Having to buy extra clothes due to the delayed bag didn't help.

I'm really glad WBC is so long, meant I had no qualms whatsoever about just resting / using the pool / walking when I needed to be out of that building, almost never having to rush to events. In future years they're at a new location, so at least I shouldn't feel like the building is making me ill. Hope to go again.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I played through half of an Ambush! mission last night. Why half? Because before I had even gotten close to one of the two buildings I was supposed to capture, 4 out of my 8 squad members were either dead or incapacitated.

This game is balls hard. Fun as hell! But... gently caress.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Great WBC write up. Thanks. I'm surprised that you were able to fit six Titan games in. And when you mention David, is that David DesJardine?

The first two games were long (8h or so .. that no 6s thing), but getting 3rd/4th of 4 players lets you get in another game pretty fast. One game in particular I had to fight with my Titan stack before making a split. Went up to the tundra and the very aggressive Akihasa Tabei moved below me, so I attacked (didn't fancy defending in the Tundra, or being stuck if he didn't move, also attacking should bring in my Angel and leave me in a better spot on the masterboard). My stack was Titan Troll Troll Ogre Ogre Gargoyle and one other unit, I think Warlock but could have been Warbear. He managed to stop me from summoning the Angel by killing off his ogres while I still had 7 units. Perhaps I needed to leave my Gargoyle offboard.

That was indeed David desJardins. He's written a lot about Titan, it was great to meet him and play with / learn from him..

A couple of things I left out:
Volko Ruhnke was demoing Pendragon and Falling Sky. I didn't manage to get in one, each time I went by either I was busy or he was well into a full game with somebody. Pendragon's map is huge.

That popular block game Napoleon's Triumph went for $80 at the auction, IIRC. Cheaper than I've heard complaints about in here, at least. For Tekopo there was also 1825 Units 1 2 and 3, I think that lot went for $220. Almost sold for the initial bid of $100, actually.

If you're looking for a worse Can't Stop that comes with a dice tower, you can try BUSTED.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NT for 80 is almost a steal; MSRP was 70, iirc, but it's so out of print and sought after.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 23, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rchandra posted:

Volko Ruhnke was demoing Pendragon and Falling Sky.

Huh I didn't realize Pendragon was in such an advanced state that they'd show it off. There's so many COIN games in production it's impossible to keep track of what stage everything is at.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If anyone is looking for a cheap copy of World in Flames (Final Edition Deluxe), I put my copy up on eBay. I've finally accepted that I'll never get it to the table, and any play I do will be on VASSAL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11174188595...984.m1555.l2649

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Hey COOL CORN, I think your link is broken, whenever I click on it I get the message on eBay telling me that the listing is either unavailable or has been removed.

Also, did you know that there is a World in Flames Letīs Play going on?

[snipped]

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 13, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Misfit posted:

Hey COOL CORN, I think your link is broken, whenever I click on it I get the message on eBay telling me that the listing is either unavailable or has been removed.

On another note, just ordered Amateurs to Arms after playing Mr.Madisons War today. I really liked the game as it went, another good CDG from GMT but I really missed the "big picture" so to speak, the naval blockade of the young states, the southern battles, the whole shebang with the indians outside of the Canadian theatre as well as the influence of the Napoleonic War still raging meanwhile. Anyone have experience with ATA that he/she wantīs to share?

From the World in Flames LP thread

COOL CORN posted:

I'll happily remove this if it's inappropriate to put here, but since this is a sort-of-hard-to-find board game...

I've accepted the fact that I'll never get this to the table. If anyone is looking for a cheap copy, I just put mine up on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111741885950?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr.Misfit posted:

On another note, just ordered Amateurs to Arms after playing Mr.Madisons War today. I really liked the game as it went, another good CDG from GMT but I really missed the "big picture" so to speak, the naval blockade of the young states, the southern battles, the whole shebang with the indians outside of the Canadian theatre as well as the influence of the Napoleonic War still raging meanwhile. Anyone have experience with ATA that he/she wantīs to share?

Weird. Does this one work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-In-Flames-FINAL-EDITION-DELUXE-w-PiF-SiF-MiF-AsA-AfA-/111741885950?hash=item1a0455ddfe

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yes

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

WTF what happened... did someone just buy it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

WTF what happened... did someone just buy it?

After a long night of soul searching and online shopping, I realized that WIF is the grand strategy game I want, so I'm going to give it another shot.

I may very well change my mind again and post it for sale in SA-mart instead of eBay. I'm surprised someone noticed so fast! It only had 2 watchers.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

COOL CORN posted:

After a long night of soul searching and online shopping, I realized that WIF is the grand strategy game I want, so I'm going to give it another shot.

I may very well change my mind again and post it for sale in SA-mart instead of eBay. I'm surprised someone noticed so fast! It only had 2 watchers.

Heh, I happened to have the page up and was making sure my mailing address was all squared away in paypal... came back and BLAM.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
edited

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 13, 2015

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
edit: wrong thread!

bencreateddisco fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 13, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

bencreateddisco posted:

does anyone know if these come with enough pikes for each model?

http://www.thewarstore.com/product61993.html

and if so, are they the same as the pikes from the Perry plastic Mercenaries set?
Wrong thread, buddy.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Tekopo posted:

Wrong thread, buddy.

Oops, meant to go in the miniature wargaming thread, my bad.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
More Triumph & Tragedy action! My weekly board game night group was just three of us, so we broke it out again. I was Axis again, my roommate who was the West in our first play of the game was the West again, and a friend who wanted to try the game went as the USSR.

Having learned my mistakes from the first run through of the game I placed zero naval units for Germany, even went light on the Fortresses, and maxed out my Infantry and Armor. First turn I bought 7 action cards for Diplomacy options, combined with the 14 the Axis start the game with I had 21 cards to play.. and played every single one of them. After the 1936 Government phase was done I had Finland and Latin America as satellites, Rumania and Turkey as Protectorates, and was additionally drawing the POP/RES from Associates: Persia, Bulgaria, Austria, Poland, Spain, and Yugoslavia. The West had turned the Low Countries into a Satellite and the USSR had influenced Hungary, Czechoslovakia, and Sweden.

Turn 2 saw the USSR player saying "gently caress it" to diplomacy and declaring war on me to invade the CV 1 Fortress I had placed in Finland (which I forgot I could have built up by 1 step in the production phase of the turn, otherwise I would have). He also removed my influence from Turkey, Spain, and Poland. I waited to see if he would actually invade anywhere else, but aside from shifting around forces in Russia he didn't attack anything more than Finland. The West player spent all of his Diplomacy cards removing my influence in Rumania and adding his own in Denmark and Portugal, then he built industry twice.

On Turn 3 the West dropped three influence to gain the USA and their 4 POP/3 RES bonus and built industry again. The USSR gained Greece as a Satellite, put two influence in Spain, one in the Baltic States, and shifted his forces to look as if he were preparing to come after me through Poland. In response I took Warsaw, destroying the Fortress there easily while using the other two Fortresses that popped into existence in eastern Poland as a buffer zone against him. I had Italian forces invade the western half of Yugoslavia that was undefended (There's no population center there so no "armed neutral" Fortresses pop up when you violate Yugoslavia's neutrality) and German forces take Austria. I figured the diplomacy was pretty much over at this point since I was only drawing Action cards for nations that were already satellites or conquered, and most of them were command cards for moving 9 or 10 blocks in a season so I wanted to hang on to them for combat, therefore I didn't care much that violating neutrals was giving out Action cards like candy to the other players.

The next couple turns saw the USSR player failing to invade Rumania, losing two ground units in the process. I continued to advance through Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, and brought up Italian units from Tripoli to invade USSR's Greece. USSR had placed a 1 CV Carrier in Greece when it became his satellite, my invading Infantry could not fire the turn it does a seaborne invasion, and both his Carrier and my Fleet failed to hit each other, but the lack of ground units forced his Carrier to retreat. I was sitting at around 18-19 POP and RES at this point, had improved my Industry a few times to get it up to 16 (thank you USSR for the Declaration of War and cheaper Industry!) and had played the "Heavy Tanks" technology in my vault, waiting to reveal it until I had German Armor engaging Russian Armor to gain the first fire effect. I was content to reinforce my existing units up to full strength before trying to advance into Russia, but he created a hilarious and game ending move.

I think we were on the 6th Turn of the game, 1941 by this point. The West player was afraid I was going to declare war on him or something, he had telegraphed pretty handily that he was trying to rush for a Tech Victory while the USSR and I were fighting. He spent all 11 of his production in one turn buying Investment cards hoping for Atomic techs. To prepare for a possible invasion or maybe the chance of striking me in the back as I moved some of my western front forces off to the east, he had piled everything on the border with me, leaving a single unit in London (probably a Fortress), the rest of the British Isles moving out to sea, and everything in France stacked up on Lorraine, Marseilles, or in the Low Countries. He left Paris, his Great Power sub-Capital, completely open. The turn before the USSR player had used a Diplomacy Wildcard to instantly transform his 2 influence Protectorate of Spain into a 3 influence (and safe) Satellite. He placed two blocks on the population centers in Spain and at the beginning of the current turn had increased both of them to 2 CV/2 steps. He acted last in the turn, so there wasn't anything the West player could do to respond to it, having assumed that the two new units in Spain were Fortresses to defend it. In the Spring Command Phase the USSR player had the highest priority card so he acted first, sending an Armor and Infantry from Spain through an undefended territory in France to the undefended sub-capital of Paris, instantly gaining control of it. The West player used everything he could to try to take it back, but he only had a 4 Spring Command card played so a total of 2 Infantry, 1 Fleet, and 1 Armor went into Paris. I think he scored maybe one hit out of all the dice he rolled, so at the end of the Spring Phase the USSR player was, by our reading of the rules, the "Controller" or "Owner" of Paris. There's a note in the rules that for the Great Powers (France and Italy), if their sub-capitals of Paris or Rome are enemy controlled at the end of a combat phase, then they are defeated and their national blocks are removed from the board. So by our reading of the rules this was all done correctly and the USSR effectively headshot the French portion of the West. At this point the West player resigned from the game and we called it a night.

I really like the random non-historical possibilities and outcomes in this game, such as the USSR declaring war on the Axis in 1937 or declaring war on the West and invading them via Spain.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Question for the ASL players out there. When calculating LOS across terrain with buildings, does a building block LOS if the line is directly over a building depiction, or is it the entire hex?

I'm quickly learning that I should just shoot with everyone at everyone at all times. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any penatly for doing so in SK#1 other than less FP during certain phases/cases.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

According to some video I saw, the line has to go through the building itself, and it's not permissible to check that before you're shooting - checking the LOF is an indication that you're shooting.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

rchandra posted:

According to some video I saw, the line has to go through the building itself, and it's not permissible to check that before you're shooting - checking the LOF is an indication that you're shooting.

Welp! Time to trash my current game and start anew then. I haven't been shooting with units on either side or certain phases because of that, mainly.

After listening to a bunch of 2 Half Squads, I think I'm going to keep an excel spreadsheet of all my games; file this one under "LOS confusion - must cross over building"

Oh, another question. If a firegroup of two separate stacks has two different DRM's to hit a target, do you use the lowest or highest one?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 14, 2015

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh, another question. If a firegroup of two separate stacks has two different DRM's to hit a target, do you use the lowest or highest one?

The highest DRM (aka the more difficult shot).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

The highest DRM (aka the more difficult shot).

Ok that's what I thought, thanks!

I seriously wish my city had an active ASL wargaming group.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Question for the ASL players out there. When calculating LOS across terrain with buildings, does a building block LOS if the line is directly over a building depiction, or is it the entire hex?

I'm quickly learning that I should just shoot with everyone at everyone at all times. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any penatly for doing so in SK#1 other than less FP during certain phases/cases.

The only LOS things that block the ENTIRE hex are orchards and smoke (I believe that's all you'll encounter in SK). Buildings, woods, grain, brush... all has to touch the actual depiction. Orchards/smoke, if it touches the hex, it's hindered (since orchards/smoke don't actually BLOCK LOS).

And yes, if it's just infantry, shoot all the time. The only time it gets iffy is with SWs. If you have a terrible shot, sometimes you have as good a chance of breaking your gun as you do actually hitting anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Anyone feels like doing an EotS LP with me?