Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

I remember seeing VC2 and going to a friend "Oh apparently VC is really good we should try it" cause it had multiplayer also.
Cue me apologizing that I didn't know it would be a high school anime game after he gets it
lol

im imagining you crying and bowing as he strikes you upside the head for daring to bring a high school anime game into his home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

"I swear the brochures said nothing about High School Anime Drama!"

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The kids in LO were annoying as gently caress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Overminty posted:

That loving song. Guh. They're funnier if you imagine them as Phil and Lil though.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Highschool anime drama is why I still haven't played Persona 4. Yet it always shows up on best lists. It doesn't seem like it should be possible.

Overminty posted:

Yes, they were. I made a post of glowing praise for the game back a few weeks ago when I was on the first 10 hours. Unfortunately, I think don't think it's been anywhere near as good since the kids showed up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The funeral minigame was really dumb in LO and I wish they didn't include it.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Highschool anime drama is why I still haven't played Persona 4. Yet it always shows up on best lists. It doesn't seem like it should be possible.

That's because P4 is the only game that really gets it right by grounding the daily life segments in reality to a greater extent rather than just slapping anime tropes together at random and calling it a day.

Emphasis on the "at random" part. Anime tropes are absolutely in P4 but they feel less hamfisted to me than typical anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

That's because P4 is the only game that really gets it right by grounding the daily life segments in reality to a greater extent rather than just slapping anime tropes together at random and calling it a day.

Emphasis on the "at random" part. Anime tropes are absolutely in P4 but they feel less hamfisted to me than typical anime.

It's more that Persona 4 is a game that partially takes place at highschool than revolves entirely around it as a microcosm. I think they manage to generally pull off the usual general anime tropes just because they actually take a moment to consider just how psychologically unhealthy some of them are and build off more than just using them at face-value. Or at least put a little effort into fleshing out why they are that way instead of "just 'cause".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

actually, persona 4 is totally slapping anime tropes together at random. also, lol.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

You can't really say "You get the same rankings" while also saying you got Bs and Cs.

I don't know about sudden backlash but I felt this way before VC2 even came out. As I said I literally bought a PS3 because Valkyria Chronicles looked so absurdly my jam and in most ways it is, but the scoring system really soured the enjoyment I got out of the game.

People go "well, ignore it" and that isn't even really an option because the scoring system is designed to encourage aggression and forward movement. Without it turtling (which isn't a tremendously interesting mechanic on its own) becomes far more powerful and the pacing of the game takes a big hit. You can see a similar problem with the new XCOM game which is why they added Meld canisters into the game to try to encourage players to be more openly aggressive. The idea of rewarding speed and aggression isn't a bad one, it just suffers because the way the game is designed.

Like "you need to be fast and aggressive" works if your goal is killing all enemies or if there is something keeping you moving at a specific pace or something beyond having to kill a single target or having to capture a flag. The best stages in VC are those which have more lengthy goals, but they're relatively few and far between.
C is average! B is good! A is exceptional!

I figured As were NG+ material when I first played.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grounded in reality = a 15 year old detective who's legally allowed to carry a firearm, in japan

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

grounded in reality = a 15 year old detective who's legally allowed to carry a firearm, in japan

He explicitly says "the daily life segments".

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Persona is anime as hell in the best possible way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He explicitly says "the daily life segments".
that naoto is a part of?

and even then, the daily life segments include every single female character including possibly the old lady wanting to bone your self-insert

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 4 is a dumb anime self-insert power fantasy of the worst sort. it's a harem comedy turned into a video game. it's about as realistic as love hina or tenchi muyo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

that naoto is a part of?

and even then, the daily life segments include every single female character including possibly the old lady wanting to bone your self-insert

No, that'd be Persona 3 :v:. You actually have to put in a bit of work to push some of the relationships to romance rather than friendship.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
No gays allowed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, that'd be Persona 3 :v:. You actually have to put in a bit of work to push some of the relationships to romance rather than friendship.
oh yeah, like the nurse who definitely doesn't want to gently caress you, and rise, who definitely doesn't want to gently caress you, and yosuke, who

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yosuke isn't gay because gay people aren't allowed in Japanese games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually there are several japanese games with gay people

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yosuke is definitely the best romance in P4.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Yosuke isn't gay because gay people aren't allowed in Japanese games

Not played much of Fire Emblem?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Don't fight each other. It's OK that Persona 4 has gone on way longer than is healthy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

oh yeah, like the nurse who definitely doesn't want to gently caress you, and rise, who definitely doesn't want to gently caress you, and yosuke, who

I did say "some". At least you can turn them down, unlike P3.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

actually there are several japanese games with gay people

Lies

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 4 is just as anime or what the gently caress ever as the vast majority of other JRPGS and well, it confuses me why people put it on such a high pedestal.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I say this as someone who has both versions of the game and have played it like 5 times

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have an extensive list, if you like.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

persona 4 is a dumb anime self-insert power fantasy of the worst sort. it's a harem comedy turned into a video game. it's about as realistic as love hina or tenchi muyo.
It's more realistic and believable then your posts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I have an extensive list, if you like.
i have screenshots

Dr Pepper posted:

It's more realistic and believable then your posts.
that doesnt' even make sense. step it up.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Post the gay list

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > RPG thread - Post the gay list

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I have here in my hand a list of 205—a list of gays

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Post the gay list

You can gay marry in the new Fire Emblem.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

lets hang out posted:

Post the gay list

http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3353352

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jesus how did i become the top poster for this thread

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Surprised I'm not higher to be honest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Everyone's turned into Francis lately

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wait it's posts, nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Endorph posted:

jesus how did i become the top poster for this thread