Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Selklubber posted:

Has anyone tried measuring heartbeat by putting the watch on a dick? Googling "Apple watch penis pulse" didn't find anything :(
I only thought of it cause someone in this thread did it a while back.

Well that was easy to find, the key was a site search and "dickbeat", starts here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703271&pagenumber=57#post445125020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pipebomb posted:

Hate to ask, but is OS2 worth the install?

No. You can't revert the install without mailing it back to Apple, so if it is buggy or kills the battery on your watch, there are no takebacks. You get to wait the two-ish months remaining until OS2 goes GA.

Also, nobody can publish things to the App Store that would take advantage of the new features until the public release.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Normally I'm eager for new releases, but I just don't see myself using apps on the watch. I like the notifications and whatnot, but interacting with the thing isn't something I'm eager to do. Are there apps out there for the beta testers to use that are actually useful and compelling? (Not that I want to run the beta, I'm just wondering if there is any reason to look forward to OS2)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Whoever decided displaying "You have 2 notifications" on the Watch screen instead of just showing me the content of the two notifications is a loving idiot. It seems completely arbitrary when it decides to do this, too. Sometimes I'll just get a scrolling screen of all my Messenger new messages, and some times it just gives up and says "You have 2 notifications" and I have to take out my phone to see them. Idiotic.

edit: Also there really needs to be a way to put the newest notification at the top instead of the bottom. Scrolling through old notifications just to see the newest one every time is really weird design choice. The iPhone gets it right.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Is that a setting because I've never seen the you have # messages thing. I always get the scroll.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I think this is decided by the app presenting the notification - in my experience, Mailbox app always moves to "you have # messages" if # is more than 1.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah it seems app dependent, like I think most stuff I have is fine but I know Facebook does the useless "you have x notifications" thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here use the workout apps on their apple watch? If I log an activity through health kit, it gives me a ton of options to label it as, and ones I use like from weights, indoor cycling, racquetball, etc. but when I go to the workout app on the watch, it only gives me 7 options plus "other," and I can't figure out a way to edit the options.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone here use the workout apps on their apple watch? If I log an activity through health kit, it gives me a ton of options to label it as, and ones I use like from weights, indoor cycling, racquetball, etc. but when I go to the workout app on the watch, it only gives me 7 options plus "other," and I can't figure out a way to edit the options.

I use the workout app every day but yeah I just log everything as other.

I wish it had other options like free weights or yoga. Hopefully it gets fixed eventually.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006
Anyone have issues with the ESPN app not working? I have the app configured on my phone, and I'm logged in. On the Watch, it says to login on the iPhone app. I've deleted the app and re-installed to no avail. Not a major thing, just curious if anyone else has this issue and/or has found a fix for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
How stable is the current Watch OS 2 beta? Thought about giving it a whirl because why not.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

How stable is the current Watch OS 2 beta? Thought about giving it a whirl because why not.

Not as bad as the early ones, but probably not worth your time yet. Unless you're making apps you're not gaining much beyond the watch faces and night mode. And it's still not the most stable.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the prognosis on a new device announced come September?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I would think it's highly unlikely. I think September will bring ipads, iphones and an appletv, but no watch.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Calaveron posted:

There's no way. The current gen hasn't been out for 4 months yet and they haven't even hit holiday.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Factory posted:

There's no way. The current gen hasn't been out for 4 months yet and they haven't even hit holiday.

Yeah, if it hadn't been delayed because of GTA they would have been at a year next month, but it just can't happen now.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
As a former iPad 3 owner, never say never, but seeing as they only recently hit sufficient supply/demand balance to sell the damned things in stores, I'd be dumbfounded at a new model appearing next month. Not to mention there's been zero mention on any rumors sites.

I could see them making a big marketing push out of watchOS 2 though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I agree. I definitely think they'll do sort of a 'grand re-opening' when Watch OS 2 hits.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's weird is I've never been less excited about a major gadget os update. I just can't imagine using apps on the watch. What it does now is good enough, although it would be nice if it did it a little faster.

Maybe there will be a killer app that changes my mind. Hopefully.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's weird is I've never been less excited about a major gadget os update. I just can't imagine using apps on the watch. What it does now is good enough, although it would be nice if it did it a little faster.

Maybe there will be a killer app that changes my mind. Hopefully.

Yeah, it's odd. I quite like the watch for what I use it for--but I'd be happy to get rid of half the apps in the... app selector with the circles screen thing.

Maybe this is a form factor that no one, including Apple, has really figured out best practices for.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Agronox posted:

app selector with the circles screen thing.

I'm ready to declare this to be the worst interface Apple has ever introduced.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm probably going to get an Apple Watch in the next few weeks. I'm looking at the Apple selection of bands and they're all pretty lovely, so my plan is to just get the Apple Watch (not Sport) and the cheapest 42mm and swap the band, but I don't know where to get some quality 3rd party bands. Anyone have some recommendations?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

noirstronaut posted:

I'm probably going to get an Apple Watch in the next few weeks. I'm looking at the Apple selection of bands and they're all pretty lovely, so my plan is to just get the Apple Watch (not Sport) and the cheapest 42mm and swap the band, but I don't know where to get some quality 3rd party bands. Anyone have some recommendations?

This is an option then you can use any band with it: http://www.amazon.com/LUVVITT%AE-St...ch+band+adapter

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
N/M. Posting it in SAMart instead (38mm Sport, Space Gray, Applecare).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738137

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 24, 2015

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

pipebomb posted:

N/M. Posting it in SAMart instead (38mm Sport, Space Gray, Applecare).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738137

Not sure I'm seeing a price..

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul Allen posted:

Thread title.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Paul Allen posted:

What SWSP said. Edited the post as well though.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My music never seems to sync over to my watch for some reason. The playlist is one that is saved to my phone so I am not sure what the deal is. I've had my watch for almost three months now and no music is on it.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

It seems more likely that any new hardware would come in the form of bands with extra sensors.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I think you are right. I asked Siri what she is doing on Sept. 9 and it said "helping people to decide which watch bands to wear"

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think you are right. I asked Siri what she is doing on Sept. 9 and it said "helping people to decide which watch bands to wear"
They're not going to make people "upgrade" their watch bands when they just spent $400 on a loving link bracelet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

They're not going to make people "upgrade" their watch bands when they just spent $400 on a loving link bracelet.

Short product cycles aren't that uncommon on new Apple products. iPhone 3G and iPad 4 come to mind. The new bands could have just new fitness tracking stuff so not everyone has to upgrade. Basically new sports bands.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 30, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I would be happy if they didn't announce anything for the watch but bands with matching gold and rose gold hardware. It's ridiculous that they were not available on day one, let alone six months down the road.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Short product cycles aren't that uncommon on new Apple products. iPhone 3G and iPad 4 come to mind. The new bands could have just new fitness tracking stuff so not everyone has to upgrade. Basically new sports bands.

Look at the colors of the current sports bands, they are clearly summer colors. Fall sports bands are almost certainly coming:

My guess is navy, red (Product Red), olive and maybe brown. Actually purple wouldn't surprise me.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 31, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I was really surprised we haven't seen a small trickle of new sports bands or maybe some leather ones. I guess it makes sense to do it at the event since I strongly suspect they are going to do a sort of soft re-launch in conjunction with OS 2 and the supply problem being fixed.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
I would like to see an official adapter kit. The ones I got on Amazon are ok, but id prefer flush and perfect color matching.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Why on earth would Apple sell an adapter kit.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Their adapter kit is in the cheapest Made for Apple Watch third party band you can find.

Hell if I know if any of those are actually on sale though. And I think they only come in stainless but I haven't looked at the MfAW documentation since the original announcement.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Yoink.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011H9GJ20?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I got this Watch band, and if you are looking for a cheap Milanese knock off it isn't bad. The clasp is hard to adjust, but once you get it you don't have to keep changing it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6WE5DM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Edit: one other thing, worth mentioning the Milanese look looks pretty nice on the space gray sport watch.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 1, 2015

• Locked thread