Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Can we keep a tally in the OP for every time someone who thinks they're having fun is heroically corrected? It might keep out the riff raff who are busy enjoying themselves and starting to get dangerously interested in the hobby.
People just need to read the second post, it deals with both sides of the argument :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Das Doppelganger posted:

Since it's borderline on topic:

Has anybody figured out how to make 5 player Legendary more plausible? (Outside of telling 2 people they can't play.)

We really enjoy playing the game, but our loss to win ratio at 5 players is silly. The problem stems from pushing 10 villains into/through the city before you even have a shot at using the first card you may have been lucky enough to purchase in the first 2 hands. Conversely, in a 3 player game by the time 10 villains get into/through the city you're on your 4th hand.

I'm not claiming we're tactical experts and have gone hyper-meta on the game here. We're average players, but seriously...what the....

Has the thought been just don't play it with 5 unless you like to spend time dying with your friends/family?

Same problem in the first two games I've played of Legendary Alien (both with 5). Monsters come so fast you never get a deck going to deal with them in time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Can we keep a tally in the OP for every time someone who thinks they're having fun is heroically corrected? It might keep out the riff raff who are busy enjoying themselves and starting to get dangerously interested in the hobby.

I can scarcely contain my excitement at the idea of a thread that consists mostly of "Hey, I played Game Title last night, and we had fun!" and replies congratulating that person for successfully using a product with the bare minimum of its functionality.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Das Doppelganger posted:

Has anybody figured out how to make 5 player Legendary more plausible? (Outside of telling 2 people they can't play.)

We really enjoy playing the game, but our loss to win ratio at 5 players is silly. The problem stems from pushing 10 villains into/through the city before you even have a shot at using the first card you may have been lucky enough to purchase in the first 2 hands. Conversely, in a 3 player game by the time 10 villains get into/through the city you're on your 4th hand.

I'm not claiming we're tactical experts and have gone hyper-meta on the game here. We're average players, but seriously...what the....

Has the thought been just don't play it with 5 unless you like to spend time dying with your friends/family?

Play using one of the EZ-mode masterminds, like Red Skull or Doom. We usually die horribly on 5 players if we let the randomizer give us something actually challenging, too.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

If we save even one person from playing one of [Sentinels, Munchkin, any number of other bad but "fun" games] even one more time in favor of playing a good AND fun game, your misdirected sarcasm will have been entirely worth it.

If this discussion about Sentinels had occurred two years ago it would have saved me a ton of money. I thought "cool, superheroes!" and started buying everything I could, kickstarting expansions, etc.

it took me a bunch of plays before I asked myself "what am I actually doing during this game?" and found the answer to be "waiting to see if I win." I might have had that conversation with myself much sooner if I'd read about it first.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

If someone asks what the good expansions are for Sentinels, there isn't a drat thing wrong with saying that no, it's none of them and the game's not that great, so go spend your money on something more worthwhile.

Just because someone has fun with a game is no reason for discussions of actual quality to be shelved.

How about instead we have a tally of how many people get upset because they think having fun is some protective curtain for criticism against a game they just happen to play.

If someone said they had fun with this new video game stuff and asked what the best DLC was for Custer's Revenge, I don't care how much fun they're having, they're going to hear that the game is awful, not worth buying DLC for, and maybe try these other games instead.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

There's a vast gulf between "cheating unintentionally" i.e. making mistakes and doing it deliberately though, and I don't think a board game designer is really under the same obligation to cheat-proof their stuff the same way online video game designers are since one type of game is going to be a free for all with potentially millions of random players around the world and one is a small, face to face group, more likely than not comprised of people you already know.

Well yeah - this isn't some bizarre absolute, it's just a positive property when a game design works to avoid this. And sure it isn't cheating, but it can still create conflict when someone is lax and someone else is very competitive. And sometimes it does get into sort of blurry-cheating town when people might know a rule, but also not bother to check.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Trasson posted:

If someone asks what the good expansions are for Sentinels, there isn't a drat thing wrong with saying that no, it's none of them and the game's not that great, so go spend your money on something more worthwhile.

Just because someone has fun with a game is no reason for discussions of actual quality to be shelved.

On the other hand, if someone finds some aspect of Sentinels very fun there may be an expansion that improves that specific aspect of the game. For example, if people find base Smash Up fun I might think it's a poo poo game but Awesome Level 9000 adds a lot to the game and I'd solidly recommend it to them. You can give useful information other than "stop having fun this game sucks."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No one's telling anyone to stop having fun, merely that they could be having the same amount of fun with a spiderman-themed slot machine.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

All this sentinels talk has me wondering - is Heroes Wanted any good?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Malloreon posted:

That is insane. I don't let people riffle shuffle my cards and if anyone bends them they get told to cut it out immediately.

These games are expensive, don't tolerate that poo poo. If they persist, make them pay for the games or don't play with them.

I love opening a game that I just bought, pulling the cards out of the shrinkwrap, and then riffle-shuffling the deck while looking deeply into the eyes of the resident anti-shuffling sperg at my FLGS.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Oldstench posted:

I love opening a game that I just bought, pulling the cards out of the shrinkwrap, and then riffle-shuffling the deck while looking deeply into the eyes of the resident anti-shuffling sperg at my FLGS.

Make sure to riffle-shuffle extra-slow so they can really feel the bending.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Oldstench posted:

By all means, man, it's your game, you do what you want.

But when we're playing my copy, you respect some simple rules or you play something else.

Never been an issue with anyone.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Oldstench posted:

We had a kid get exiled from our FLGS for punching out some other guy's new-game cardboard tokens too hard, risking damage to the tokens and really distressing the game owner. The game store papa bear had to like pull him aside and be all, "You have to apologize to that guy for man-handling his board game."
Instead, he chose to melodramatically DISAPPEAR FOREVER.

He finally showed up again like 8 months later because it's the middle of summer and he has nothing else to do besides rot at his mom's apartment.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Malloreon posted:

All this sentinels talk has me wondering - is Heroes Wanted any good?

I played it a few months ago and no its not good. Every turn is like when in mage knight you draw no move .And your stuck with only the basic cards in your hand best case scenario you get a single predetermined card in your deck but still you'll accomplish nothing. I've literally had a better and more engaging experience playing Ascension and Thunderstone so that in its self should tell you how bad it is.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

We had a kid get exiled from our FLGS for punching out some other guy's new-game cardboard tokens too hard, risking damage to the tokens and really distressing the game owner. The game store papa bear had to like pull him aside and be all, "You have to apologize to that guy for man-handling his board game."

He finally showed up again like 8 months later because it's the middle of summer and he has nothing else to do besides rot at his mom's apartment.

Lol this post, THIS POST I LOVE IT

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

If the kid didn't actually damage anything then the manbaby is the bigger sperglord here tbh.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have a friend who puts every card from every game he owns in sleeves. Unless of course they are too big then he just burns the game.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bottom Liner posted:

If the kid didn't actually damage anything then the manbaby is the bigger sperglord here tbh.

Think you can overcome your cat allergy long enough to play Space Alert tonight?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

deadly_pudding posted:

That's pretty hilarious, especially since the detail isn't that the tokens were not necessarily damaged, just that the tokens *could* have been damaged :derp:

edit: wasn't there a thread of a game or comics store working veteran telling about all the weirdos?

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 14, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

nonatomic retain posted:

"Star Trek: Frontiers, which is based on Vlaada Chvátil's Mage Knight, is coming "soon" from Andrew Parks and @WizKidsGames." :getin:

what in the gently caress

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

According to BGG his repertoire is entirely expansion packs and lovely tie-ins so I guess a lovely tie-in to Star Trek will totally work out for him.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Think you can overcome your cat allergy long enough to play Space Alert tonight?

drat, I wish. Gotta pick up a friend at the airport. Allergy pills are at the ready for the next time though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

canyoneer posted:

That's pretty hilarious, especially since the detail isn't that the tokens were not necessarily damaged, just that the tokens *could* have been damaged :derp:

sort of the way riffle shuffles & ordinary handling dont necessarily damage cards, but you know *could* lead to damage

got it

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Why would you do a Star Trek themed Mage Knight when you could do Space Alert instead?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Stelas posted:

Why would you do a Star Trek themed Mage Knight when you could do Space Alert instead?

Because Wizkids doesn't have the rights to Space Alert. CGE does. They'd have to buy rights (a la Attack Wing) to use it, and that's a lot of hassle when you're trying to flog licensed merch for a quick buck.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bottom Liner posted:

drat, I wish. Gotta pick up a friend at the airport. Allergy pills are at the ready for the next time though.

I mean, poo poo will probably run late. Is your friend a fucklord? We'd be pushing 6 at that point but I think Maj. Lush or Em might sit out once the gloves come off.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rumda posted:

I played it a few months ago and no its not good. Every turn is like when in mage knight you draw no move .And your stuck with only the basic cards in your hand best case scenario you get a single predetermined card in your deck but still you'll accomplish nothing. I've literally had a better and more engaging experience playing Ascension and Thunderstone so that in its self should tell you how bad it is.

Thanks for this. I finally watched some videos on it and it's totally not for me.

Money: Saved!

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Thanks! Probably do an order next week.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Play using one of the EZ-mode masterminds, like Red Skull or Doom. We usually die horribly on 5 players if we let the randomizer give us something actually challenging, too.

Yeah, I can get where you're going, but I think I want a better fix than "You get these two options to play with." You know?

Is this thread even remotely the place to hash out ideas on how to better it or is that better suited over in a design thread?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
BTW, quick write-up of Exploding Kittens: an ok filler game with limited appeal.

First of all, it's not funny. Two guys (out of four) at the table are gigantic Oatmeal fans and they didn't laugh once. They did smile a few times. I have liked one or two things from the Oatmeal that were sent to me although they are lazily sentimental and I'm a sucker for that. As far as the game goes, the only real theming on the cards is that they are done in that Oatmeal Style of art where everything is kinda round and the eyes go in two different directions. The jokes are pretty lame and stupid and are usually basic MONKEYCHEESE poo poo.

Second it's very arbitrary. We played three games and in the second one I got eliminated on my second turn and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it.

Third it's very degenerate. If you can pass or attack, do that. If you can look at cards and shuffle, do that. Etc. etc. etc. Totally easy and brain dead strategy.

The only thing that's good is that there is a bluffing element. If someone pulls an Exploding Kitten and defuses it they get to put it anywhere in the deck, and usually will put it within the first 3 cards. So if nobody has a Shuffle they start to get nervous about drawing a card. This is literally the only interesting time of the game and it can be fun.

Other than that there's absolutely nothing to recommend this. It's unfunny, almost plays itself, and is boring. Play Coup or Love Letter.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Das Doppelganger posted:

Well with Legendary Encounters they suggest (actually I think Predator makes it the default for 5 players) having a prep round where every player gets to have a turn before you start adding the bad guys. So you can maybe buy at least one card before the action starts. Really not much different since you'll just be on your second set of base cards, but it helps a little. You could do two prep rounds if you wanted. You can also add more drones...er, not sure what they're called in Legendary. Henchmen? You could mix in Encounters decks. Coordinate cards are pretty killer. Just avoid the decks with healing, since they wouldn't be any use in Legendary. So...buy Encounters to make Legendary easier! :)

Edit: Btw, all of the "Mariah Hill" cards in Encounters have Coordinate. So maybe just give her card that ability? Coordinate cards just let you play them on another person's turn. They gain the benefits and combo symbols from that card and you draw a new card to replace it. You're limited to playing one per turn, but you can receive one from each other player.

QnoisX fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 14, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW, quick write-up of Exploding Kittens: an ok filler game with limited appeal.

First of all, it's not funny. Two guys (out of four) at the table are gigantic Oatmeal fans and they didn't laugh once. They did smile a few times. I have liked one or two things from the Oatmeal that were sent to me although they are lazily sentimental and I'm a sucker for that. As far as the game goes, the only real theming on the cards is that they are done in that Oatmeal Style of art where everything is kinda round and the eyes go in two different directions. The jokes are pretty lame and stupid and are usually basic MONKEYCHEESE poo poo.

Second it's very arbitrary. We played three games and in the second one I got eliminated on my second turn and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it.

Third it's very degenerate. If you can pass or attack, do that. If you can look at cards and shuffle, do that. Etc. etc. etc. Totally easy and brain dead strategy.

The only thing that's good is that there is a bluffing element. If someone pulls an Exploding Kitten and defuses it they get to put it anywhere in the deck, and usually will put it within the first 3 cards. So if nobody has a Shuffle they start to get nervous about drawing a card. This is literally the only interesting time of the game and it can be fun.

Other than that there's absolutely nothing to recommend this. It's unfunny, almost plays itself, and is boring. Play Coup or Love Letter.

I don't understand how you can say all these things and come to the conclusion that it's "ok."

Going by only what you've said here, it's not a stretch to call the game poo poo.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
We played Alien Encounters at Gen Con last year and while I agree the new mechanics make the game a bit easier, that can still be a meat grinder if you aren't on your game.

I was debating making the entry to the city slower for 3-4 rounds and then normal but I don't know how far off that would throw the balance of the game. I'm sure you're all smart enough to understand alternate turns, but I'm typing out this idea for my own clarity:

Round 1:
Player 1 - No Villain
Player 2 - Villain
Player 3 - No Villain
Player 4 - Villain
Player 5 - No Villain

Round 2:
Player 1 - Villain
Player 2 - No Villain
Player 3 - Villain
Player 4 - No Villain
Player 5 - Villain

Round 3:
Player 1 - No Villain
Player 2 - Villain
Player 3 - No Villain
Player 4 - Villain
Player 5 - No Villain

Round 4:
Player 1 - Villain
Player 2 - No Villain
Player 3 - Villain
Player 4 - No Villain
Player 5 - Villain

Round 5: Villain every turn from here out.

This gets 4 hands to the players by the time 10 Villains have come through which is about equal to the 3 player mode. It might be more or less needed, but I think I may try this in our next few plays to see if it helps.

We use the Wheel of Fate randomizer too and never set it above Standard for difficulty on 5 players. I'd really like to make the game playable with any Mastermind and yet not make it a cake walk.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Same problem in the first two games I've played of Legendary Alien (both with 5). Monsters come so fast you never get a deck going to deal with them in time.

Legendary Encounters only really fucks you like that when you get unlucky with the Drones and the market row. Generally speaking there's enough cheap attack cards to keep things clear from turn 3, and Coordinate really helps in that regard.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Trasson posted:

How about instead we have a tally of how many people get upset because they think having fun is some protective curtain for criticism against a game they just happen to play.

If someone said they had fun with this new video game stuff and asked what the best DLC was for Custer's Revenge, I don't care how much fun they're having, they're going to hear that the game is awful, not worth buying DLC for, and maybe try these other games instead.

If someone's asking if they should get Sentinels, it's fair to warn them against it. If someone already has Sentinels, and already enjoys Sentinels, and has already decided that they want more Sentinels and just wants to know which more Sentinels to get, then saying "actually sentinels sucks you retard" isn't helping anyone.

"Don't get any of the expansions" is a reasonable response if the expansions are all a noticeable step down in quality from the base game, such as in the case of Battlestar Galactica. But that's not the case here.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"Hey, car thread, any advice for picking out a new GPS for my toyota?"

"Yeah it's called burn you're toyota and buy a real car dumbass"

"Hmmm thanks that really helps my GPS purchasing decisions"

:iiaca:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone played with Evolution 2nd ed yet? I just got my copy

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Broken Loose posted:

I don't understand how you can say all these things and come to the conclusion that it's "ok."

Going by only what you've said here, it's not a stretch to call the game poo poo.

The bluffing element makes up a large part of the playtime and I have a good group. If you were playing this game with strangers it would be unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

QnoisX posted:

Thanks! Probably do an order next week.

Full disclosure:

I cannot figure out a way to turn off their markup for putting designs on the store, so if you buy those I get :siren:$1:siren: for each deck purchased.

Also, I'd recommend doing a once over on the powers deck; I think it's okay but I'd love another set of eyes to make sure I didn't mismatch a back or leave out needed stuff somewhere.