Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I interviewed at a startup today and a 40 year old man referred to my work history as "gigs." I really wanted to say "please don't use that word for that" but I want them to like me so they make me an offer I can leverage it to get more money elsewhere.

does your resume show you never stay at a job more than a few months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

eschaton posted:

does your resume show you never stay at a job more than a few months?

no I was at the same company for the last two years since i graduated. "tell me about your gig out of college"

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Phobeste posted:

daily reminder that i am a bad programmer: spent days trying to hunt down an IMPRECISERR in my cortex-m4 code, found some random blog post that had a bit to set in a register to turn off out-of-order execution, used that to find the problem... and it was this:

code:
bool* foo;
*foo = false;
end my job, life
If you're using gcc >= 4.8 or clang and targeting x86, "-fsanitize=address" is handy for reliably detecting this kind of mistake. I've gotten to the point of reflexively checking it every time something breaks in a confusing way. "-fsanitize=undefined" is pretty neat too. Be warned that enabling either of these on a codebase for the first time can be pretty scary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

no I was at the same company for the last two years since i graduated. "tell me about your gig out of college"

some people just call jobs gigs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

did he ask you about trepping

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Phobeste posted:

daily reminder that i am a bad programmer: spent days trying to hunt down an IMPRECISERR in my cortex-m4 code, found some random blog post that had a bit to set in a register to turn off out-of-order execution, used that to find the problem... and it was this:

code:
bool* foo;
*foo = false;
end my job, life

At the risk of outing myself as an even worse programmer, what's wrong with this? I would guess it declares a pointer-to-bool called foo, and then initializes the pointed-to bool as false. Is that not what it does?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no memory is allocated

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

no memory is allocated

drat, I knew it would be something obvious like that. Thanks.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

and problem #3 was that my cheap Chinese breadboard had a continuity problem causing strange behavior

I feel your pain Luigi. When I was doing undergraduate research I spent literal months trying to figure out why the electronics I had designed weren't working. My adviser was at CERN the whole time and he wasn't really much help via skype/email/etc. When he got back he took one look at things and said, "Your breadboard has too much inductance; this would work fine on a PCB. Also because you wasted an entire summer you can't do a senior thesis with me." :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

As a Millennial I posted:

there are many people who try to keep doing this, forever

one of my high school friends dropped out of a cs degree, freshman year, because he already knew frontpage

my CS degree had a first year unit which was literally "how to make basic documents in the MS Office suite of products :smith:

also every actual programming unit had 1-2 weeks of "computers language is called binary" and "history of computers"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

~Coxy posted:

my CS degree had a first year unit which was literally "how to make basic documents in the MS Office suite of products :smith:

also every actual programming unit had 1-2 weeks of "computers language is called binary" and "history of computers"

as opposed to a real CS course where beyond the first or maybe the second semester, the first few minutes of a CS class are "programming assignments and examples in this class will use my bespoke special snowflake language that only runs on a subset of cluster systems and doesn't have a debugger or error messages, you should pick it up immediately because it's essentially APL with some SNOBOL constructs tacked on, but if you need an overview there's a paper I wrote about it in ~prof/aplfest79/, let's dive right in. now as you'll remember from algorithmic analysis and any algebraic topology courses you've taken..."

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

and problem #3 was that my cheap Chinese breadboard had a continuity problem causing strange behavior

don't use breadboards. use perfboard and solder. get some connectors, sockets and ribbon cable or whatever so you can do it modular and plug stuff together.

unless you are playing about with a battery and a bulb chuck the breadboard in the bin.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Ralith posted:

If you're using gcc >= 4.8 or clang and targeting x86, "-fsanitize=address" is handy for reliably detecting this kind of mistake. I've gotten to the point of reflexively checking it every time something breaks in a confusing way. "-fsanitize=undefined" is pretty neat too. Be warned that enabling either of these on a codebase for the first time can be pretty scary.

sadly, cortex-m4 is a baremetal arm target. but you're right, i should really be stubbing out my HAL and compiling locally for unit tests/ubsan/all that poo poo, i just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

stinch posted:

don't use breadboards. use perfboard and solder. get some connectors, sockets and ribbon cable or whatever so you can do it modular and plug stuff together.

unless you are playing about with a battery and a bulb chuck the breadboard in the bin.

2nding this. breadboards will waste 10x more time than they'll save

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Barnyard Protein posted:

2nding this. breadboards will waste 10x more time than they'll save

3rd, breadboards are garbage.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fiiiiine

i need to order some parts i don't have anyway, such as a 7-segment driver IC to replace this entire breadboard

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
caveat: breadboards are good if you want to test something quickly at a really low frequency, sub 1MHz. if you have a nice new breadboard you should have no problems. the problems come when your breadboard is a few years old, or new and bad, and doesn't make electrical connections like it used to. if you have a scope and are willing to git bitten by your board once in a while, then it is a good tool. like any tool you just need to know of its weaknesses.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i'm biased against breadboards bc for me its easier to ask a technician to prototype something for me. when the techs are busy, or if its something really simple i'll breadboard it.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i had this undergrad analog electronics course where the professor had a filing cabinet with all the project solution breadboards neatly knolled out on the cabinet shelves. wires all perfectly straight, except at the bends, which were perfect -- perfect length. component legs trimmed, flush against the board. breadboards can be good.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
after I interned at the bank last summer when they made me an offer for a grad job they asked "would you like to go back to work with the same team you interned with?" to which i said no

now it looks like ive been placed back into that team when i start in september, this is going to be a nightmare to sort out

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Barnyard Protein posted:

caveat: breadboards are good if you want to test something quickly at a really low frequency, sub 1MHz. if you have a nice new breadboard you should have no problems. the problems come when your breadboard is a few years old, or new and bad, and doesn't make electrical connections like it used to. if you have a scope and are willing to git bitten by your board once in a while, then it is a good tool. like any tool you just need to know of its weaknesses.

I have an analog multimeter from the 60s, a 40MHz scope, a hardware programmer/debugger, and sketchy Russian schematic capture software

I am a much better programmer than hardware toucher

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 14, 2015

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have an analog multimeter from the 60s, a 40MHz scope, a hardware programmer/debugger, and sketchy Russian schematic capture software

sounds like a complete lab, you should be able to tell if your breadboard is loving up slow digital circuits.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Valeyard posted:

after I interned at the bank last summer when they made me an offer for a grad job they asked "would you like to go back to work with the same team you interned with?" to which i said no

now it looks like ive been placed back into that team when i start in september, this is going to be a nightmare to sort out

why is this bad? i dont understand

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Ugh anybody have a good reference for me to learn how to C++(11?) on microcontrollers without burning the house down? I write C most of the time and C++ is weird to me as-is, but I want to be an hero and do it on a micro with interrupt handlers, no heap memory, minimal library support and all that other good stuff. Specifically Cortex-M0.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

meatpotato posted:

Ugh anybody have a good reference for me to learn how to C++(11?) on microcontrollers without burning the house down? I write C most of the time and C++ is weird to me as-is, but I want to be an hero and do it on a micro with interrupt handlers, no heap memory, minimal library support and all that other good stuff. Specifically Cortex-M0.

don't know that you'll actually find a reference that goes into this targeted at embedded development

you'd probably do better to read lots of general stuff about C++11/14/17 and the theory behind it, maybe there will be a bunch of stuff about leveraging it for games development in blog posts or on gamasutra or something that will translate

then I'd say start experimenting on a non-bare-metal system that's still pretty similar to your target, but which has enough horsepower to compile, debug, and so on. (like a RPi2, since you're targeting ARM Cortex-M0 eventually.) you can try to write code on that which avoids allocation, callouts to anything other than runtime functions you supply, that compiles small enough for your needs, and so on.

once you get the hang of it you can use a bigger machine since you're going to be cross-compiling for the Cortex-M0 anyway, but something like a RPi or RPi2 could still make a useful target since unlike your real computer it's ARM and it might let you test some things more accurately but still with faster turnaround than some bare metal.

also, I suggested clang rather than GCC because you may wind up wanting to customize your toolchain, runtime, etc. and it'll be much easier that way. plus clang is a good compiler all around.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

horse mans posted:

no, it just means you don't do 3 hours of work

if this isn't the dirty secret behind your stupid computer guy job you're Doing It Wrong

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

i had this undergrad analog electronics course where the professor had a filing cabinet with all the project solution breadboards neatly knolled out on the cabinet shelves. wires all perfectly straight, except at the bends, which were perfect -- perfect length. component legs trimmed, flush against the board. breadboards can be good.

i'm waiting for someone to spend an entier day debugging something based on the breadboard's output only to realize the breadboard is totally hosed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that's called undergrad

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

that's called undergrad

see: my story above

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

I am a much better programmer than hardware toucher

install diptrace

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

meatpotato posted:

it'll be fine, i do this a lot. two things

1. you may need to define stubs for certain syscalls
2. if you don't want to use the heap you basically can't use any of the stl containers, so you're basically going to be writing strongly-typed c, just be aware

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

surebet posted:

so we have a new web dev

"hey please add this google analytics snippet to the site: (link to my personal gh repo) it goes in the <head>"

sent that 2 fridays ago, last week i was on vacation, come back to the realisation that instead of adding the code as a sane person would he just pasted the link verbatim as the first <body> line and every loving page if the company site has been advertising my gh for a week

when i asked wtf wasn't clear about "put the code in the <head>" he explains that he doesn't understand what a <head> is

dude uses frontpage 2003 in strictly wysiwyg mode :woop:

so we have another new web dev

I want to learn web dev and this gives me hope that even if im terrible at least i might get paid

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The Duggler posted:

I want to learn web dev

please don't do this to yourself, you can get help

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Soricidus posted:

please don't do this to yourself, you can get help

Why does everyone keep telling me this :(

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Duggler posted:

Why does everyone keep telling me this :(

because web dev is a ghetto.

that said, it's a fine way to get a foothold and definitely the easiest path into programming jobs if you don't have a degree or much experience.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

things you might like about web development:

everything is always obsolete
everything is written or converted to javascript
repetitive refreshing of 5 different deprecated browsers to pixel match layouts
working with people who like to do web development

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
web development isn't just frontend you know

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

web development isn't just frontend you know

no sir it does not have to be, and we have node to thank for that

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

backend web dev isn't much better, in my experience (which is absolutely biased because i don't live in a great tech city).

still doesn't pay great, still prone to everyone fawning over the framework of the month, it's boring (how many different ways do you really need to parse json?), and if you're especially unlucky you'll end up maintaining spaghetti php.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the application I work with started life as coldfusion, was turned into asp.net, and is now being converted to Java/GWT. I'm assuming when Google deprecates gwt it will go back to asp.net.

• Locked thread