Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Rory was a mixed bag for me. I kinda felt like I was watching an old Comedy Central Presents and they brought on NY comic #518. He actually does a NY vs LA thing at some point, too.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-bruce-chandling/n41334

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Rory seemed like he was doing canned schtick, but that was much better than what was happening before he came on.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I thought the UCB episode was the worst non-Erin episode until she finally showed up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I finally got around to listening to the show and you guys are making a huge deal about Erin when she only showed up for the last five minutes of the show and didn't say or do anything interesting.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

I finally got around to listening to the show and you guys are making a huge deal about Erin when she only showed up for the last five minutes of the show and didn't say or do anything interesting.

:vince:

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I didn't mean to pin it on her. It was just funny to me that she popped in right after I realized she wasn't around for one of the worst episodes ever.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I seriously cannot remember the last episode of this podcast i actually enjoyed listening to

the bottom fell out of this thing with a quickness huh

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I still enjoy it, makes me feel like I'm not so bad...

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
loving love the show

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Toxxupation posted:

I seriously cannot remember the last episode of this podcast i actually enjoyed listening to

the bottom fell out of this thing with a quickness huh

video killed the podcast star

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think I'm just tired of the show, and basically every aspect that Harmontown does another podcast does better

like if you're looking for good riffs and goofs, listen to mabimbam, if you're looking for funny D and D playing, listen to adventure zone, if you're looking for comedians riffing on and loving around with a topic, listen to the dollop

there's nothing that this podcast provides that, at this current time, another podcast provides more fully and in a more enjoyable way

the only advantage that harmontown has is being a peek into the addled mind of harmon and his philosophy on storytelling and how that was informed by the events in his life, but they've fallen so far afield of that where it's now harmon soliloquizing badly about whatever current social justice topic he's both too ill-informed and too drunk to address with any amount of coherence that it doesn't really matter

and i just sorta came around on the drinking. i'm not a prude, and I'm fine with people drinking during their podcasts because, you know, whatever, but harmontown is the only podcast i listen to where its hosts get ripshit, blackout, unhealthily drunk and not only is that a dangerous lifestyle that the audience (and us, the listeners by extension) is enabling but it produces, more often than not, really lovely content

it's just so goddamn frustrating, this used to be my favorite podcast literally ever but now I just let it pile up because it's harmon getting embarrassingly drunk and, worse than that, being just plain not funny for two hours every week

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I think what it comes down to is that Dan is capable of being really funny if he's not too drunk, the guests are good, and he doesn't get mired in pseudointellectual freshman philosophy bullshit.

That's been the case less frequently lately, but he probably doesn't realize it because of the Harmontown echo chamber fan base.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Basically xanadu era of Htown was awesome

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Evil Agita posted:

Basically xanadu era of Htown was awesome

it's more like pre-shadowrun era of Htown, there was still a heavy period between the loss of xanadu and when the podcast was monetized when the podcast was good

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Where's Kumail dammit?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Where's Kumail dammit?

Doing his show his podcasts and his stand-up thing

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Toxxupation posted:

the only advantage that harmontown has is being a peek into the addled mind of harmon and his philosophy on storytelling and how that was informed by the events in his life, but they've fallen so far afield of that where it's now harmon soliloquizing badly about whatever current social justice topic he's both too ill-informed and too drunk to address with any amount of coherence that it doesn't really matter

Occasional guest Greg Proops does this better.

PostNouveau posted:

Where's Kumail dammit?

2 TV shows, his own podcasts and stand up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

2 TV shows, his own podcasts and stand up.

Like that's any excuse. Where's Curtis Armstrong then?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
By Dan starring in a tv show, he has now become this generations Bruce Vilanch.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Occasional guest Greg Proops does this better.

Hurray, hurrah! Once again the fabulous Smartest Man in the World podcast takes to the aether from the confines of the fortress of Proopitude and poo poo like that, you guys.

Love that guy.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I started listening to this podcast in March, but a few months ago went back to the beginning and tried to slowly catch up while listening to the new eps (I am up to 102 or so). I think the show isn't really appreciably worse than it ever was, but it does take the magic of having the hosts not be too drunk, having both Jeff and Erin around for most of the episode, Kumail or another guest who has been around a lot for the show to get really good, and that Shadowrun is a bit less compelling than D&D was.

Sometimes he can get a bit too into drunken pseudointellectual rambling, or have this limited white rich old man view on a situation, but I can appreciate his sincerity and he is usually a bit entertaining and self-deprecating about it. It can get a bit stale after hundreds of hours over a few years, I am sure.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Spencer was better before he started getting high in the back room at every show

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Evil Agita posted:

Spencer was better before he started getting high in the back room at every show
Spencer's been stoned since day one, the only difference is the level of confidence from having a loving audience.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

caligulamprey posted:

Spencer's been stoned since day one, the only difference is the level of confidence from having a loving audience.

False

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

idk man he sounds baked as gently caress these days and sounded pretty clear headed before. I've been relistening to the show on youtube and it super stands out how much better he used to be.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Evil Agita posted:

idk man he sounds baked as gently caress these days and sounded pretty clear headed before. I've been relistening to the show on youtube and it super stands out how much better he used to be.

I definitely noticed the turn once he turned 21 and started drinking.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Harmon's current shtick reminds me a lot of Roiland's schtick. I think they have been hanging out too much and it's really rubbed off on Harmon.

Since I love Roiland it is fine by me but it makes me wish they just made a Roiland/Harmon show. Though I guess you need a Jeff Davis to Harmon or a Ryan Ridley to Roiland. I dunno.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Great episode. Why doesn't Bobcat have his own podcast? I guess because his current work satisfies him creatively.

Harmontown is at it's peak when it is just genuinely funny and talented people talking poo poo together.

Police Academy V: Ferguson.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I could listen to Bobcat for days man.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I'm listening to my first episode, Horatio Sanz, is Harmon always stuttering like this? This is taking a lot of effort to sit through, not even halfway through.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

always be closing posted:

I'm listening to my first episode, Horatio Sanz, is Harmon always stuttering like this? This is taking a lot of effort to sit through, not even halfway through.

This show is about listening to your drunk friend ramble about god-knows-what, so yeah basically. If you actually want to start listening to the podcast you should probably start in the "golden age" of Harmontown, maybe the first appearance of Spencer.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

This show is about listening to your drunk friend ramble about god-knows-what, so yeah basically. If you actually want to start listening to the podcast you should probably start in the "golden age" of Harmontown, maybe the first appearance of Spencer.

Best episode and first episode I ever listened to was "Dan Took a Shower", every other episode has been a disappointment in comparison. http://podbay.fm/show/542228532/e/1361406108?autostart=1

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I think it may be time to retire Shadowrun. 5 minutes at the end of each episode with half the players completely confused as to what's going on just isn't worth it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Brocktoon posted:

I think it may be time to retire Shadowrun. 5 minutes at the end of each episode with half the players completely confused as to what's going on just isn't worth it.

The only people who think that is you and everyone. But they could replace it with any game and the fact Dan's drunk and the audience member is confused would scuttle it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

The only people who think that is you and everyone. But they could replace it with any game and the fact Dan's drunk and the audience member is confused would scuttle it.

Yeah, I wasn't proposing they replace it with another game. The idea has run its course.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Brocktoon posted:

Yeah, I wasn't proposing they replace it with another game. The idea has run its course.

I didn't mind D&D when Dan would deconstruct the game or when their episodes were more episodic, but gently caress having to remember all these characters and having people switching characters every goddamn episode because Erin doesn't come to the show now that she's got her ring and just wants to sit around Dan's palatial mansion and waste his money.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

always be closing posted:

This is a particularly bad episode for Dan. He seems really anxious with horatio. It's weird.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Evil Agita posted:

This is a particularly bad episode for Dan. He seems really anxious with horatio. It's weird.

I'm not sure why he was so flustered, but it reminds me a lot of being at a convention or spotting a celebrity at a restaurant and thinking about what you're going to say to them, then you say hi and you kind of forget what you were going to say and sputter it out and make it weird for everyone. It was a lot like that when he was talking about the dick banana and as he was setting up "PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS" he remembered Horatio wasnt in that scene, and on the fly had no idea how to rephrase it to something like "do you have any idea how that came to be?" so it came out as a sputtering mess that Horatio just wanted until Dan shut up to talk about.

For what it's worth, Sanz was really really good in spite of Dan's weirdness. Between this and all he does on Comedy Bang Bang I'm really liking him these days compared to when I hated his and Fallon's guts on SNL in the 00's.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Brocktoon posted:

They need to keep up a reason to have Spencer around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Naylenas posted:

They need to keep up a reason to have Spencer around.

The ideal solution would be to drop him from the show. Ditto Demorge. Ditto a whole chunk of what the show has evolved into this past year, including Dan's Police Bashing of the Week segment. I mean, do we really need a millionaire who lives in a gated mansion, a woman who is on the second month of a vacation in Ireland, a sheltered 22 year-old and a gorgeous former Broadway actor giving their opinions on why the police are eeeeeeeeevil every single loving week?