Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Supremezero posted:

OBJECTION! Those two little rooms over on the far right in the underground section use normal doors! That's unacceptable!

HOLD IT! Those aren't normal doors your honor, they're solid gold doors from a pirate invasion!

Edit: Also I forgot to say the thing doorchat reminded me of, tall gates, left open, and painted white, look a lot like pillars when paired with the marble.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

i am tim! posted:

Hey, I'm sitting pretty in Hardcore pre-mechanical bosses and I'm looking to try out a mage build. I was wondering, aside from Mage-hat titanium/adamantium armor what should I look for? I already have Laser Rifle and Shadowflame Hex Doll, if they're any good.

I'd also suggest getting the Daedalus Stormbow for when you run out of mana. Its the perfect weapon for all three mechanical bosses when paired with Holy Arrows or Hellfire Arrows.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 15, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'd also suggest getting the Daedalus Stormbow for when you run out of mana. Its the perfect weapon for all three mechanical bosses when paired with Holy Arrows or Hellfire Arrows.

You should never use a backup weapon as a mage when you can just chug pots though.

Most of the suggestions I've seen so far are good but I'd like to say that despite what the wiki says, the crystal vile shard is actually useful. The damage isn't fantastic compared to other magic weapons but unlike almost all of them, it pierces through blocks. This means you can safely spam it from behind blocks too kill enemies that can't reach you, which can be quite useful while exploring.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You're right, I had forgotten about crystal vile shard; it's an excellent spell for early hard mode. Also excellent is the Meteor Staff. If you can handle it's mana costs and get used to its unusual targeting, it does a fantastic amount of damage and is one of the more stylish spells in the game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

You should never use a backup weapon as a mage when you can just chug pots though.

Most of the suggestions I've seen so far are good but I'd like to say that despite what the wiki says, the crystal vile shard is actually useful. The damage isn't fantastic compared to other magic weapons but unlike almost all of them, it pierces through blocks. This means you can safely spam it from behind blocks too kill enemies that can't reach you, which can be quite useful while exploring.

Pre-Mechanical mages don't exactly have the dps and armor to go full on spell-casting. I tried that coming in and couldn't get past 50-60% of the destroyer's health.

Switching to Daedalus + support spells like Nimbus allowed me to beat all three in a single night in a row.

But some people prefer the challenge I guess.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Plantera is annoying as hell. Guess I should just dig a really long tunnel?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A large open arena served me admirably, just dot it with campfires and lanterns. Gravity potion and wings will keep it chasing after you, and chlorophyte bullets removed most of the ammo waste from gravity disorientation.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Jet Jaguar posted:

A moderately long, six block high tunnel with a nurse slightly sunken below the level of the tunnel floor (to stop wall piercing thorns killing her) + a megashark with crystal bullets + teleporters at each end raised 2 blocks of the floor did the trick for me second time round. Use turtle armour. Grapple the roof first phase to dodge spiky balls, second phase just stay in place, poo poo bullets everywhere and teleport whenever she comes on screen. Make sure you have campfires and heart lanterns on either end, and a bubble full of honey above the teleporter

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
For me it was large area, spector armor, harp or other fast firing mage weapon and crystal bullets when mana was low or something, at this point it's a bit hard to remember. I'd use the high damage hood early fight and healing hood later.

The trick is learning how to lead the thing around in circles and watch your flight time, watch a video to get some ideas.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I just found the biggest cave I could and flooded it. I could still move around freely because I had a moon shell equipped.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The flamethrower is really good against plantera. I beat her with that, chlorophite armor and the important buff potions. The most important part is the arena though, you basically want to kite her in a circle since she doesn't lead her shots. The second phase is a bit trickier but the flamethrower should take her out quickly enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Note: this is mainly for expert mode.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Frost Staff is a pretty solid magic weapon if you get it to drop. Also Golden Shower is good for lowering defense but that's important mostly for Expert. If you have mana problems, use Magic Cuffs and/or Mana Flower (Cuffs should be enough in boss fights when you're being hit a lot).

omeg fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 15, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Terra Blade + Moon Charm + Moonstone along with other general melee items and tortoise armour was enough for me.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Time to show off my latest-

:argh:

(Restarting will probably fix it, it's just that is entirely unhelpful as an error message.)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Iron fence worked out pretty well!

Is there possibly a better way to make background doors for those village house facades? The method I'm using, what with a couple of hovering blocks and a permanently open door, makes it a bit hard to rush a mount through the town streets.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Pre-Mechanical mages don't exactly have the dps and armor to go full on spell-casting. I tried that coming in and couldn't get past 50-60% of the destroyer's health.

Switching to Daedalus + support spells like Nimbus allowed me to beat all three in a single night in a row.

But some people prefer the challenge I guess.

Use the Golden Shower and a Nimbus Rod against the destroyer. Make a Manaflower and grab a stack of 50 mana potions if necessary. The destroyer can be murdered hard with the golden shower.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Or teleporters, or a minecart track going in a circle in your arena.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bluhman posted:

Is there possibly a better way to make background doors for those village house facades? The method I'm using, what with a couple of hovering blocks and a permanently open door, makes it a bit hard to rush a mount through the town streets.

If you want to make your 2d house doors to look more realistic, try using two doors a few blocks apart, each opening inward. Creates a perfect double door effect.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bluhman posted:

Try hammered platforms. I don't know if a door will stick to a platform hammered to occupy the bottom half of a tile, but it's worth a shot.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Spergminer posted:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Tall_Gate

This thing is really good for building houses where you can run around with mounts inside.

And that gets invaded every time there's a blood moon!

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Keiya posted:

And that gets invaded every time there's a blood moon!

I use the tall gates for all the interior doors, and five block high actuated walls with pressure plates for all the doors that lead outside. All the convenience of mount-friendly bases without any zombies kicking your doors in.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If they can't handle a few clowns, they don't deserve to live on the ground floor. :colbert:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Supremezero posted:

If you want to make your 2d house doors to look more realistic, try using two doors a few blocks apart, each opening inward. Creates a perfect double door effect.
I think it was Oddium's bigass background church in the OP that encouraged me to try this trick in the first place, which used double-doors like that. Unfortunately, these aren't huge churches.

Dareon posted:

Try hammered platforms. I don't know if a door will stick to a platform hammered to occupy the bottom half of a tile, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah I think that's the first thing I tried. It needs to be a soild block that the door's top and bottom connects to, no exceptions.
At this rate I'm considering trying to figure out a good torch or small wall detail that'd double suitably for a doorknob, and just replace those doors with six pieces of wooden wall.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bluhman posted:

I think it was Oddium's bigass background church in the OP that encouraged me to try this trick in the first place, which used double-doors like that. Unfortunately, these aren't huge churches.

Yeah I think that's the first thing I tried. It needs to be a soild block that the door's top and bottom connects to, no exceptions.
At this rate I'm considering trying to figure out a good torch or small wall detail that'd double suitably for a doorknob, and just replace those doors with six pieces of wooden wall.

Perhaps they're Saloons!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bluhman posted:

A single platform, like in this pic from the OP?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Enallyniv posted:

I kind of stopped expecting anything hugely technically impressive from the game a few weeks back when someone raised the matter of the entire item database being implemented as a very, very long IF function.

You have got to be making GBS threads me. Either you're kidding or the guy that told you this is kidding, I refuse to believe this is true.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cryohazard posted:

You have got to be making GBS threads me. Either you're kidding or the guy that told you this is kidding, I refuse to believe this is true.

omeg posted:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NyxStudios/TerrariaAPI-Server/general-devel/Terraria/Item.cs

This is based on decompiled code but .NET is pretty accurate when it comes to decompilation.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

what

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
That has got to at least be a switch statement in the original. no one is that insane...

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I was enjoying expert until Hell where trying to build a Wall of Flesh highway became the tedium of 12 hellbats a second and nothing ever dropping hearts.

Building the highway was infinitely harder then beating the Wall of Flesh.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

I was enjoying expert until Hell where trying to build a Wall of Flesh highway became the tedium of 12 hellbats a second and nothing ever dropping hearts.

having just done the same yesterday, I heartily agree, though I did have some trouble with the wall. loving nonstop streams of bats were doing like 60 damage a hit so I had to really pay attention to them, not to mention the rear end in a top hat lava slimes that keep loving up the bridge and demons sending walls of 70 damage scythes from offscreen

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

SirDan3k posted:

Bats in this game are what drove me to start using spells with homing abilities.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Indecisive posted:

having just done the same yesterday, I heartily agree, though I did have some trouble with the wall. loving nonstop streams of bats were doing like 60 damage a hit so I had to really pay attention to them, not to mention the rear end in a top hat lava slimes that keep loving up the bridge and demons sending walls of 70 damage scythes from offscreen

Wait until the Red Devils start spawning. :gibs:

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
After a few hours of preparation, and building up supplies, I finally decided to try and venture forth into hardmode for the first time.

Why yes, that new swath of Crimson is going directly into my base... :negative:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

welp pack it up and roll a new world that one's ded

(just kidding but drat that sucks - I'd definitely be considering it myself though)

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

welp pack it up and roll a new world that one's ded

(just kidding but drat that sucks - I'd definitely be considering it myself though)

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do. My base kinda sucked, and I wanted to check out corruption anyway. Not looking forward to moving all my items though...

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Baron posted:

After a few hours of preparation, and building up supplies, I finally decided to try and venture forth into hardmode for the first time.

Dynamite the entire thing. Just fill your inventory with dynamite and begin blasting.

BETTER DEAD THAN RED.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Baron posted:

I had this exact same thing happen to me! It's the first big base I've ever built by myself, too.

I ended up just rushing to the Destroyer to get the Clentaminator so I could clear the whole area out. It got a bit chicken-and-egg though: I had to clean out enough of my base to open up enough rooms for all the NPCs to move into before I could buy the Clentaminator.

There was a bit of luck involved, too. I had a couple rainy days in short order, so I was able to get frost cores and craft Frost Armor very quickly, and the first Hallowed Mimic I fought dropped the Daedelus stormbow.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Baron posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do. My base kinda sucked, and I wanted to check out corruption anyway. Not looking forward to moving all my items though...

You could just build another base...

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

NachtSieger posted:

Dynamite the entire thing. Just fill your inventory with dynamite and begin blasting.

BETTER DEAD THAN RED.

OK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSrU_LwLNsY&t=140s

Supremezero posted:

You could just build another base...

I figure it would be a bit rough trying to build in hardmode when all my poo poo in storage is now guarded by creepy leg things and whatnot. That world sucked anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Baron posted:

This is why all my bases tend to be up in the air. Ideally in a valley so they can be out of ground biomes without causing harpies and wyverns to show up every time I step outside. Though I have a DCU now so really if I want to carve out a canyon it's not an issue. :getin: