Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Sentinels really is an amazingly bad game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

The End posted:

Sentinels really is an amazingly bad game though.

I have never played Sentinels - how does it differ from, say, the LOTR LCG?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azran posted:

I have never played Sentinels - how does it differ from, say, the LOTR LCG?

In LOTR, you make choices.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Oh, the Shut up and Sit Down Gencon video is up. I wonder if it'll actually have anything about games in rather than just them trolling designers and being unfunny like last year.

Don't be silly, of course it's just them dicking around for 20 minutes.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Honestly I thought it was slightly funny. Plus they do all of the actual games talking on the Gencon live podcast.

And if you don't think it's helpful for people to go into excruciating detail about how lovely Sentinels is to save the casual reader from mistakenly thinking Sentinels is a good or well regarded game, maybe go start "The Echo Chamber Thread For Being Positive About Board Games And Telling People What They Want To Hear Always."

Scyther fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 15, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Today I met someone who paid the equivalent of $500 to import Dead of Winter. :psyduck:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Had a buddy start playing Warhammer Quest on his phone and now he is pretty determined to either get the game on ebay OR a game a lot like it.

Is there a game that is close to that style of game but updated since...1994? I think that is when the game dropped.
Descent or something like that or did those games add a ton of new/complicated stuff?

edit: Should point out he likes the random stuff that happens in town/to dungeons and I don't personally know if that is strictly in the App version or if the board game itself had that sorta random element tossed in or not

Sounds like he would enjoy Talisman: The Magical Quest Game :getin:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27627/talisman-revised-4th-edition

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Azran posted:

Today I met someone who paid the equivalent of $500 to import Dead of Winter. :psyduck:

See this is why we need to keep up the Bad Game Rhetoric.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Sounds like he would enjoy Talisman: The Magical Quest Game :getin:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27627/talisman-revised-4th-edition

This actually looks pretty well priced and might just be right up the alley my buddy is looking for.

Anyone else have thoughts on this game or a piece of poo poo in disguise?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tiny Chalupa posted:

This actually looks pretty well priced and might just be right up the alley my buddy is looking for.

He's trolling you.

An actual good dungeon craw game is Arcadia Quest. You get a ton of characters, each player has a guild, you level up and get loot, etc. doesn't require a DM player either, monster so is handled by other players during your turn. It's fast playing and has a lot of content in the box.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

He's trolling you.

Are you sure about that?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The only thing Talisman is good for are the figures and thanks for reminding me I had it so I can paint those suckers up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Azran posted:

Are you sure about that?

I don't know anymore. I can't keep straight who is a troll and who just has bad opinions here.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I couldnt find a copy of Shattered Empires but I was told that if I just make the Imperium card worth 1 instead of 2 then it was fine.

The new cards are considered better and more interactive in general. But using Imperium II fixes the specific issue of mandatory taking of Initiative or Imperium when available.

It's been awhile for me, does the required victory point count go down with ImpII or am I thinking of something else?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Trasson posted:

Telling someone who enjoys SotM not to get any expansions is completely reasonable. Board games are not a free commodity one summons from thin air. If a person asks which $40 add-on they want for a pretty subpar product, it's a fair statement to tell them their money is better spent elsewhere.

Oh, and I'll take BSG's expansions over Sentinel's. At least then your time and money are going to an actually different experience even if it is the Ionian Nebula. Sentinel's adds in all of two heroes over the course of its expansions who provide interesting turn by turn decisions. That's two heroes of two dozen.

Nightmist and The Naturalist are not good enough to recommend any expansion at all unless you're a die-hard fan. And if you are, you don't need a recommendation on which expansion to get. If you're looking for more Sentinel's after the base game, then you're going to be fine with whatever anyway because the expansions have as much to differentiate another as Munchkin sets.

In short, if telling anyone someone not to buy Sentinels expansions isn't helping anyone, then I guess I'm going to keep being an obstructionist rear end in a top hat, because it's not unhelpfulness, it's a goddamn public service announcement.

You sound like a lot of fun.

When you see ultimate frisbee players, do you knock the frisbee down and give them a lecture on playing a better designed and more competitive sport? Do you lecture basketball players on the inherent flaws of a game where height differences can matter more than skill? Spend a lot of time in Starbucks lines lecturing people on their inferior coffee choices?

Giving an un-asked for and rude critique of a thing is not a public service. In the real world we call it "being a dick." If the dude had asked what people think about Sentinels then by all means, open fire. But he didn't. If someone asks about Kemet strategies, it is not an implicit invitation for me to tell them why I don't like the game and how they should play something else.

The odd thing too is that it's easy to critique a thing politely if you absolutely feel the need. "Sentinels? I think I liked the expansion that adds the Chrono Ranger and the Omnitron hero. To be honest though, the more I played the game the more aggravated I got at it, so I'd be leery of picking up too many expansions. It's just too easy for the game to generate no-win or no-challenge scenarios and after one too many of those it starts to lose its shine."

See that? That's a recommendation and a polite critique all wrapped together. What the dude got though was "LOL BURN YOUR GAME" and "WELL HERE IS A LIST OF WHY THE GAME IS poo poo. POINT THE FIRST..."

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

When you see ultimate frisbee players, do you knock the frisbee down and give them a lecture on playing a better designed and more competitive sport? Do you lecture basketball players on the inherent flaws of a game where height differences can matter more than skill? Spend a lot of time in Starbucks lines lecturing people on their inferior coffee choices?

Giving an un-asked for and rude critique of a thing is not a public service. In the real world we call it "being a dick." If the dude had asked what people think about Sentinels then by all means, open fire. But he didn't. If someone asks about Kemet strategies, it is not an implicit invitation for me to tell them why I don't like the game and how they should play something else.

The odd thing too is that it's easy to critique a thing politely if you absolutely feel the need. "Sentinels? I think I liked the expansion that adds the Chrono Ranger and the Omnitron hero. To be honest though, the more I played the game the more aggravated I got at it, so I'd be leery of picking up too many expansions. It's just too easy for the game to generate no-win or no-challenge scenarios and after one too many of those it starts to lose its shine."

See that? That's a recommendation and a polite critique all wrapped together. What the dude got though was "LOL BURN YOUR GAME" and "WELL HERE IS A LIST OF WHY THE GAME IS poo poo. POINT THE FIRST..."

muh board games

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Speaking of, I'm playing Kemet for the first time tonight, what are some good newbie strategies?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Giving an un-asked for and rude critique of a thing is not a public service. In the real world we call it "being a dick."

This isn't the real world, dude. It's the subforum of a comedy forum on the internet talking about pushing paper and wood around printed boards according to arbitrary rules.

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, I'm playing Kemet for the first time tonight, what are some good newbie strategies?

I've only played it a couple times, but I cannot stress this enough: be aggressive. You can't turtle in Kemet and reasonably expect to win. You're meant to be fighting every couple turns.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I forgot why I hated this thread. gently caress, you guys are bad at analogies.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I just want to say I appreciate the "your game sucks crew". Although they are sometimes abrasive they know their games well and I've found that if they immediately start calling a game poo poo when it's mentioned it's usually true. I've saved myself buying some bad games thanks to them.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Rutibex is our resident pet troll. We love him regardless.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Mage Knight yet. It has all the good things of a dungeon delve game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

I forgot why I hated this thread. gently caress, you guys are bad at analogies.

This thread is the Stephen Feld of designing analogies.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

This thread is the Stephen Feld of designing analogies.

Bora Bora is like the modern Mustang convertible. People are gonna hate on it based on reputation, but take it out as a rental on an island with your friends and it's just fun! Not my daily driver, though

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Myth v.2 is kinda like the Scion FRS. Mechanically it was redesigned by an external party and is actually pretty good though its lost marketing goodwill by its association to its original maker. And it's aesthetically pretty rad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm in the market for a classic Audi Quattro S1 board game. You know, from the golden age of schedule B rally racing push your luck board gaming. Failing that, what's a good Subaru WRX game? Thanks.

I'm serious here. I like cars and board games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

:shibe:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bottom Liner posted:

First action: Buy +1 att
Second action: Buy + 1 def

Laugh as you win game if your playing against other newbs. Good players will not allow this to happen.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm in the market for a classic Audi Quattro S1 board game. You know, from the golden age of schedule B rally racing push your luck board gaming. Failing that, what's a good Subaru WRX game? Thanks.

I'm serious here. I like cars and board games.

Have you checked Kickstarter

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

classic Audi Quattro S1 board game.

Ra

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

First action: Buy +1 att
Second action: Buy + 1 def

Laugh as you win game if your playing against other newbs. Good players will not allow this to happen.

As in my pyramid levels or a tile that gives those?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoa I already have that! No wonder I enjoy it! :smoobles:

signalnoise posted:

Have you checked Kickstarter
They are both good cars :mad:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 15, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bottom Liner posted:

As in my pyramid levels or a tile that gives those?

The power tiles. They are both first level powers, +1 Att is red and +1 Def is blue. This will require you to start with red and blue pyramids. If you want to get really ballsy you open with those and then beeline the level 3 Red tile that gives +1 all battles. If your opponents gently caress up enough to let you grab +1 Att, +1 Def, and +1 All the game is basically in the bag.

Although I forgot sometimes that this is dependent on player count since I only ever play four or five player matches.. In a 5-player game for example the other players have hugely hosed up if anyone is allowed to +1 att and +1 def. But in a three player game it's not crazy at all.

e: also if you were planning to play this game with just two people then ABORT ABORT!!!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

OmegaGoo posted:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Mage Knight yet. It has all the good things of a dungeon delve game.

We just went over this. Don't buy games from WizKids.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What's the board game analogy for a Gumpert

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Poopy Palpy posted:

We just went over this. Don't buy games from WizKids.

But... but... Mage Knight!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

OmegaGoo posted:

Rutibex is our resident pet troll. We love him regardless.

Shame on you if you think Rutibex is anything but sincere.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The problem with my age knight is that it is a good game but you are still helping wizkids to stay afloat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Print and play it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys are killing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

He's trolling you.

An actual good dungeon craw game is Arcadia Quest. You get a ton of characters, each player has a guild, you level up and get loot, etc. doesn't require a DM player either, monster so is handled by other players during your turn. It's fast playing and has a lot of content in the box.

Tell me more about Arcadia Quest. My game store has a copy but I overlooked it thinking "oh, a dungeon crawl board game with flashy art, probably gonna be a style over substance thing," but if it's actually decent I'd love to know more details. I've also been thinking about picking up Wrath of Ashardalon which I've heard good (if not exceptional) things about as a fantasy SWAT team simulator.