Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

My problem is that your assertions have no data to back them up. I don't think you're trying to trick me, I just realize that people often have personal bias, so I prefer to look at data for stuff like this. Look, if you have better sources, I'd love to see them. If there aren't any, I'm fine ending this debate.

Piedmont has a lower crime rate than the national average, and it will make a decent proxy for the crime rate in the Oakland Hills until someone comes up with the better stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Rah! posted:

It's not "because i say so", it's because that's how it actually is. My evidence is a lifetime of living in the Bay Area. Born and raised in SF, and I now live in Oakland. I've been to the bad and nice parts of both cities, as well as cities like LA and Philly. I've been to hosed up poor areas in mexico, etc...I know what "safe" and "dangerous" is, and you seem really loving scared of a bunch of neighborhoods you shouldn't be scared of.

"My evidence is a lifetime of living in the Bay Area" is basically the same as "Because I say so." I understand that lot of statistics don't tell the entire story, and sometimes can be flat out wrong... But Anecdotal Life Experience is going to be vastly different from person to person. You're a Bay Area Native, we get it, but you probably shouldn't be leveraging life experiences this way, because it only applies to you. Sure, it can provide some insight but a 6'1 tall dude is going to have a very different experience than a 5'3 woman. Some people feel perfectly safe having their iphone out in public transportation, or wearing headphones, other people don't. It's a legitimate issue that I'm guessing your life experience doesn't really adequately cover.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I can't get your link to work, but what are its listed stats for Montclair and Oakmore? (If Oakmore isn't broken out its own, how about Glenview)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I can't get your link to work, but what are its listed stats for Montclair and Oakmore? (If Oakmore isn't broken out its own, how about Glenview)
Yeah I cut down that link manually which didn't work. Try this: http://www.areavibes.com/oakland-ca/neighborhoods/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rah! posted:

:lol: you think Redwood City has "very scary" areas.

In the summer of 2009, we found a neighborhood near the railroad tracks that had houses going for under $300k. It was shockingly bad, compared to the general affluence of the area (which accounted for why it had the lowest house prices in the area). I had no idea there were Peninsula neighborhoods outside of East Palo Alto that were that bad. I have no idea what it's like now: I imagine the meteoric recovery of peninsula prices has lifted it up a lot by now.

quote:

Who is doing this?

Do we really still have to keep repeating the quote? "This. When I moved here a little over two Years ago, my rent in the place I decided to move into was ~$500/mo cheaper with a pool for the same square footage, but I'd have a lot of nonwhite neighbors. It was an easy decision for me but racists gonna race."

This is the easiest most-quotable but more broadly (and definitely more outside this thread, generally, "people") make the claim that white people avoiding black neighborhoods when house-seeking is racism in action. Which, as I said, it is, from a systemic point of view, but every white family avoiding a poor black neighborhood isn't necessarily doing so because of racist opinions about black people, and it's not helpful to imply that they are.

I strongly suspect you'd agree with me basically on this, and that so does everyone else in the thread, but I felt like it hadn't really been articulated well.

quote:

That website is hosed up when it comes to neighborhood crime stats.

"Those stats are obviously wrong because they disagree with my personal assessment" isn't a very convincing argument.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cicero posted:

Yeah I cut down that link manually which didn't work. Try this: http://www.areavibes.com/oakland-ca/neighborhoods/

I also like this:
http://gismaps.oaklandnet.com/crimewatch/

Click "I agree" and then you get to an interactive filterable map of actual recent crime reports. You can directly compare between neighborhoods. I used this a lot when I was house-hunting.

e. For example, Here is a map of just homicides since February 14th

It's immediately obvious that Oakland in general is more dangerous than San Francisco in general, at least in terms of homicides, and that the worst neighborhoods in Oakland are clearly more murdery than the worst neighborhoods in SF.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 13, 2015

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Leperflesh posted:

"Those stats are obviously wrong because they disagree with my personal assessment" isn't a very convincing argument.

Here's one: in all the safe neighborhoods I checked, the violent crime rate was the same (791/100k), because it was an estimate. It wasn't based on reports within that particular neighborhood - all the subcategories are N/A. So that particular website isn't usable for this particular comparison.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's fairly convincing that it's not actually neighborhood-by-neighborhood statistics being used.

I'm pretty sure those statistics do exist, though, because there have to be location-specific data sets in order to generate the maps like the one I just posted.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

It's immediately obvious that Oakland in general is more dangerous than San Francisco in general, at least in terms of homicides, and that the worst neighborhoods in Oakland are clearly more murdery than the worst neighborhoods in SF.

That map is excluding about 90% of SF's homicides. There have been over 20 murders since february, not 5. And the most murdery parts of SF are usually just as murderous as the most murdery parts of Oakland (in terms of concentration of murders, and other crime). But Oakland's murdery parts are more extensive.

Here's a better map:

http://www.mercurynews.com/homicides

It should also be noted that SF has seen murders drop by 50% in the past 7 years, while Oakland's murder rate has also dropped, though not as much as SF.

Leperflesh posted:

In the summer of 2009, we found a neighborhood near the railroad tracks that had houses going for under $300k. It was shockingly bad, compared to the general affluence of the area (which accounted for why it had the lowest house prices in the area). I had no idea there were Peninsula neighborhoods outside of East Palo Alto that were that bad. I have no idea what it's like now: I imagine the meteoric recovery of peninsula prices has lifted it up a lot by now.

But there's a difference between "poor" and "scary" (though "scary" is almost always "poor"). There are poor neighborhoods in Redwood City that have a higher crime rate than other parts of Redwood city (which has a low crime rate, for the record), but compared to truly bad areas in the Bay (parts of SF, Oakland, East Palo Alto, Richmond, etc), it's quite safe and quiet.

quote:

Do we really still have to keep repeating the quote? "This. When I moved here a little over two Years ago, my rent in the place I decided to move into was ~$500/mo cheaper with a pool for the same square footage, but I'd have a lot of nonwhite neighbors. It was an easy decision for me but racists gonna race."

How does that equate to "all white people avoid black neighborhoods because they are racist"? Lots of white people (and people of other races) do that though, by the way.

quote:

I strongly suspect you'd agree with me basically on this, and that so does everyone else in the thread, but I felt like it hadn't really been articulated well.

No, they're wrong because there's no way an upper class neighborhood has more crime than a neglected area that's full of poo poo-tastic public housing and constant violence. That website obviously is using some bad methodology to "estimate" neighborhood crime stats, and it's producing inaccurate results.

Cicero posted:

If that was true, they'd all have the exact same crime rate, since it's listed as per capita.

My problem is that your assertions have no data to back them up. I don't think you're trying to trick me, I just realize that people often have personal bias, so I prefer to look at data for stuff like this. Look, if you have better sources, I'd love to see them. If there aren't any, I'm fine ending this debate.

Dude, something is clearly hosed about their methodology if they're claiming upper class neighborhoods are more violent than neglected ghettos (with no shown data, but rather "estimates", no less). The fact that the website says "per capita" somewhere on it, does not change that.

Space-Bird posted:

"My evidence is a lifetime of living in the Bay Area" is basically the same as "Because I say so." I understand that lot of statistics don't tell the entire story, and sometimes can be flat out wrong.

This is one of those times that the statistics aren't telling the entire story. And I'm not the only one who feels this way...I've encountered so many Oakland residents who have to constantly convince ignorant people that Oakland is not 100% a ghetto (even the good areas!), just like I'm doing right now.

Trabisnikof posted:

Piedmont has a lower crime rate than the national average, and it will make a decent proxy for the crime rate in the Oakland Hills until someone comes up with the better stats.

Agreed. It's an Oakland neighborhood, for all intents and purposes.

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Here's one: in all the safe neighborhoods I checked, the violent crime rate was the same (791/100k), because it was an estimate. It wasn't based on reports within that particular neighborhood - all the subcategories are N/A. So that particular website isn't usable for this particular comparison.

Exactly. But clearly those of us who actually live in Oakland are wrong, while the random website with crazy-looking data is right!

Rah! fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 13, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leperflesh posted:

In other news:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-huge-el-nino-could-devastate-southern-california-20150813-story.html
A huge El Niño could devastate Southern California

El Niño is coming to devalue our neighborhoods with his hispanic heritage and poverty-inducing mudslides.

In the last 7 years the eastern parts of the Inland Empire have been getting these torrential downpours that I never saw prior. Just blasted with heavy rains, sometimes with hail and thunder.

This is gonna be a lot worse than in '97. I'm going to spend a weekend in September setting up sandbags and I advise everyone else to do the same.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Man I can't wait to experience that tropical storm LA got back in July but on a weekly basis. (For reals though it cleared out the garbage and homeless piss where I work down in Silver Lake :allears:)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Has there been any work done mapping where people go after they're pushed out of gentrifying neighborhoods?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TildeATH posted:

Has there been any work done mapping where people go after they're pushed out of gentrifying neighborhoods?

I know there's been research into similar topics during the 50s (eg, Chicago after its large spree of development) but I don't know about anything contemporary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rah! posted:

That map is excluding about 90% of SF's homicides. There have been over 20 murders since february, not 5. And the most murdery parts of SF are usually just as murderous as the most murdery parts of Oakland (in terms of concentration of murders, and other crime). But Oakland's murdery parts are more extensive.

Weird, OK. I was misled by bad information and I concede the point. Thanks for pointing it out by linking to a source, which is way better than just insisting based on experience.

quote:

There are poor neighborhoods in Redwood City that have a higher crime rate than other parts of Redwood city (which has a low crime rate, for the record), but compared to truly bad areas in the Bay (parts of SF, Oakland, East Palo Alto, Richmond, etc), it's quite safe and quiet.

Yeah my shock was more "this is much worse than I was expecting in Redwood City" and not "This is as bad as Richmond or East Palo Alto," which it absolutely wasn't.

quote:

How does that equate to "all white people avoid black neighborhoods because they are racist"? Lots of white people (and people of other races) do that though, by the way.

It doesn't, necessarily. But it's a generalization, and I was arguing against that generalization. I think I said what I meant pretty clearly and I don't feel like there's much value in debating it further.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Cicero,

I'm jacked as poo poo and a former Marine navy seal green beret I will crush your skull in my hands. Why don't you come at me and say that poo poo to my face? I know your address and I will kill you. Come to downtown Oakland and let us host you while I show you what I mean by "its safe if you know how to walk and look at the same time". Statistical aggregates are important, but based on my experience living in some truly shady areas as long as you aren't in the life or cops have recently done a major anti gang initiative thereby creating a power vacuum, statistics ain't worth poo poo since they don't apply to our Lilly white asses. It'll be an evening, it'll be fun and I'll kill you as my beat in to the nortrnuos

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Shbobdb posted:

Cicero,

I'm jacked as poo poo and a former Marine navy seal green beret I will crush your skull in my hands. Why don't you come at me and say that poo poo to my face? I know your address and I will kill you. Come to downtown Oakland and let us host you while I show you what I mean by "its safe if you know how to walk and look at the same time". Statistical aggregates are important, but based on my experience living in some truly shady areas as long as you aren't in the life or cops have recently done a major anti gang initiative thereby creating a power vacuum, statistics ain't worth poo poo since they don't apply to our Lilly white asses. It'll be an evening, it'll be fun and I'll kill you as my beat in to the nortrnuos
Why you assuming I'm white? Typical racist goon.

I'm cool with coming up there, but I evacuate my bowels uncontrollably if I so much as glimpse a black person. Will that be a problem?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

TildeATH posted:

I've heard, and it kind of makes sense, that a lot have moved to Pittsburgh and more of the outer rim of the area. Would love to see some actual journalism on the subject.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

snyprmag posted:

I've heard, and it kind of makes sense, that a lot have moved to Pittsburgh and more of the outer rim of the area. Would love to see some actual journalism on the subject.

A lot of the poor people who have been pushed out of SF and Oakland have ended up in Antioch, Pittsburg, Fairfield, Vallejo, (or to Oakland in the case of many priced-out SF residents) etc., as well as the central valley, to Stockton, Tracy, Sacramento, etc (basically wherever they can go that's still close to home, and is still relatively cheap). Others have moved to cheaper places in SoCal (like some shitville in the inland empire), or to other states where they have family (which in the case of the black population, mostly means the south). I remember reading several years ago about a sort of mini-exodus from the Bay Area to Reno too.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 15, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TildeATH posted:

Ironically due to whole city is now cool for rich people, people end up in up in the suburbs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

Ironically due to whole city is now cool for rich people, people end up in up in the suburbs.

I can't wait for required car ownership to turn into (more of) a class signifier.

Instead of "needs consistent transportation" it will be "no parking offered".

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I take Amtrak from Sac to Oakland (cuz hey it's faster than my old commute of driving from Sunnyvale to Oakland ! :smithicide:) once per week and that thing is packed with people that do that commute every single day and it's 2 hrs each way minimum.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I still find it incredible that despite living a five minute walk from a lightrail station that drops me off across the goddamn street from my office is still slower than slogging all the way up SJ to Milpitas through rush hour. gently caress at grade public transit forever. If you're ever going to hear me say nice things about SF, it's that Bart & MTA are appreciably fast, at least in my experience.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

I still find it incredible that despite living a five minute walk from a lightrail station that drops me off across the goddamn street from my office is still slower than slogging all the way up SJ to Milpitas through rush hour. gently caress at grade public transit forever. If you're ever going to hear me say nice things about SF, it's that Bart & MTA are appreciably fast, at least in my experience.

VTA is pretty horrible in general

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

VTA is pretty horrible in general

It always misses the connection with the Caltrain in Moutain View. It is so frustrating: either take a train that arrives 35-40 minutes early or take the train that is supposed to connect and wait in hour for the next connection when you miss your train by a minute. Public transport in the bay area is terrible if you aren't going a very short distance.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If it's any consolation I had to travel from Oxnard to Van Nuys for medical treatments. There was three hours of downtime between when I was finished for the day and when the first metrolink train to Oxnard would arrive.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Boot and Rally posted:

It always misses the connection with the Caltrain in Moutain View. It is so frustrating: either take a train that arrives 35-40 minutes early or take the train that is supposed to connect and wait in hour for the next connection when you miss your train by a minute. Public transport in the bay area is terrible if you aren't going a very short distance.

It's not bad at all in SF city limits (though it has problems of course), and it's pretty decent in parts of the inner east bay too, Like Oakland and Berkeley. But yeah, it's pretty much poo poo everywhere else.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Rah! posted:

It's not bad at all in SF city limits (though it has problems of course), and it's pretty decent in parts of the inner east bay too, Like Oakland and Berkeley. But yeah, it's pretty much poo poo everywhere else.

With the notable exception of the light rail that meets the CalTrain requiring cash - exact change only.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Problem is BART really doesn't have good coverage and do to ever increasing population/traffic the SF light rail part of the muni system gets slower each year due to not being grade separated.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Boot and Rally posted:

With the notable exception of the light rail that meets the CalTrain requiring cash - exact change only.

But is that actually uncommon? All public transit I've ridden has required exact change when paying on the train/bus. It seems like it would slow things down a lot if the driver was expected to hand out change.

etalian posted:

Problem is BART really doesn't have good coverage and do to ever increasing population/traffic the SF light rail part of the muni system gets slower each year due to not being grade separated.

Muni just ordered 260 new train cars (compared to the current fleet of 150), which will also be able to connect four cars together, rather than two cars as with the current trains. They'll break down a lot less frequently too. So that will help. Of course what we really need is for BART and Muni to expand their subway coverage.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Also outside of the SF corridor BART trains run at a pathetic frequency.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Rah! posted:

But is that actually uncommon? All public transit I've ridden has required exact change when paying on the train/bus. It seems like it would slow things down a lot if the driver was expected to hand out change.

It is uncommon, as far as my experience, for light rail to not have ticket machines on the platform. For the bus, yes, usually exact change.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Bart covers a huge area because the Bay spreads everyone out. I'm honestly amazed they're able to afford expansion at all.

The proposed diesel electric extension will be a huge deal if it works well.

Also if we want to giggle about public transit in the Bay, check out the ACE.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

I've only ridden it a handful of times so far but riding VTA from South SJ to campus downtown has been super chill and positive. The extra time it takes is worth being able to relax and read rather than engage my clutch and brake every 25 feet, and then shelling out money for parking.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Boot and Rally posted:

It is uncommon, as far as my experience, for light rail to not have ticket machines on the platform.

Yeah that can be confusing I guess. They have ticket machines in all the subway stations, but not the above ground stops. 90% of them are like minimalist bus stops, but for trains (marked by just a stripe of yellow paint on the street/a pole), because much of the muni metro runs at grade, mixed with vehicle traffic (using routes that used to be street car lines many decades ago). So there's not really anywhere to put a machine at most stops. It seems like they would've put machines on the platforms along the new above-ground segments, like in mission bay and third street (and across from caltrain)...maybe they're afraid they'd get vandalized, or broken into.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabisnikof posted:

The Bart covers a huge area because the Bay spreads everyone out. I'm honestly amazed they're able to afford expansion at all.

They can *afford* expansion, it's just that the neighbors scream until it's dropped. There's a reason the SF-to-San Jose extension runs down the West side of the bay, and it's not population density.

e: I'm halfway down the peninsula and our skies are darker and smellier because of the wildfires. Anybody else?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Also outside of the SF corridor BART trains run at a pathetic frequency.

It was originally intended as commuter rail type system to the Caltrain hence the really long waits outside the city.

I like this fantasy map of the BART:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

It was originally intended as commuter rail type system to the Caltrain hence the really long waits outside the city.

That's a whole lot of trains into the boonies and still one track through Oakland.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I've only ridden it a handful of times so far but riding VTA from South SJ to campus downtown has been super chill and positive. The extra time it takes is worth being able to relax and read rather than engage my clutch and brake every 25 feet, and then shelling out money for parking.

The VTA from South SJ to downtown is fine, because it mostly runs along the 87 and only has a few stops. It slows to a loving crawl going through downtown and up first street, though. If I worked downtown I'd take it every day over driving, yeah.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

etalian posted:

Lmao at BART being built through any part of Marin County just lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

In something of local news, the Riverside County Sherrif deputies union has pulled support of their Sheriff Stan Sniff after recent actions and comments

quote:

The union representing Riverside County sheriff’s deputies has pulled its support from Sheriff Stan Sniff and accused him of a dictatorial approach that shunned union input on the deployment of body-mounted cameras and other matters.

The decision, which came after a vote of the Riverside Sheriffs’ Association Board of Directors, means the union does not support how Sniff runs the county Sheriff’s Department, the union wrote in a letter to Sniff dated Thursday, Aug. 13.

In it, the union cites the sheriff’s actions and comments regarding body cameras, pay raises, discipline and take-home cars as why it can no longer endorse him.

The letter signed by union President Robert Masson accuses Sniff, an elected official, of being “unwilling to even recognize (the union’s) legitimate interests in advancing and protecting the welfare of (the union’s) members and our community.”

“Your autocratic engagement style may suit your personal preferences, but it leaves no room for working together with (the union) in a partnership designed to succeed,” the letter read.

Sniff is on vacation for “much of August,” and was not available for comment Friday, Aug. 14, according to an e-mailed statement from sheriff’s administrators.

The statement said Sniff views the union’s action as “unfortunate, but understands there are raw emotions involved in the union leadership’s dispute with the Sheriff’s Department’s decision to press forward with the fielding of body-worn cameras.”

“The sheriff has sought and received input from both employees and outside community sources throughout the (camera) testing process,” the statement read. “The sheriff and county have repeatedly invited the appropriate labor groups to meet on the foreseeable effects of the program, and have in fact already held talks with the other effected (sic) labor groups.”

The county was set to begin formal talks with the union Friday, the statement added.

In a telephone interview Friday, Masson said the frustrations behind the letter have been building.

After Sniff was re-elected in 2014, “he didn’t really need us anymore,” Masson said. “As a leader, you can’t throw members under the bus like he’s been.

The union, which has more than 2,000 members, isn’t trying to run the Sheriff’s Department, Masson said.

“We have to work together because we serve the citizens of this county, plain and simple,” he said. “We want to make sure we have good policies not just for our members, but for everybody.”
The union might recruit someone to run against Sniff in 2018.

“It’s a possibility,” Masson said.

The union’s letter cites Sniff’s decision earlier this year to require deputies to wear body-mounted cameras that record interactions with the public. Police departments regionally and nationwide are starting to deploy the cameras following increased public scrutiny of officer-involved shootings and allegations of police brutality.

The union sued the county to stop the test deployment because deputies believe that the cameras constituted a significant change in working conditions that required negotiations. Sniff countered that negotiations weren’t required because the cameras were being deployed on a trial basis.

Union officials have said they don’t oppose the cameras in principle. But in its letter, the union contends it was wrongly left out of camera discussions.

“As invested stakeholders in the department’s investigation and decision to deploy devices through countywide operations, the community and the members who will be wearing these devices, should not have been completely excluded from this ‘process,’” the letter read.

The union also objects to Sniff’s announcement of the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California’s support of his camera policy, which “deprived the men and women of the Department of the opportunity to view body-worn camera video,” the letter read.

“Your posture embracing the ACLU while you have ignored the collective voices of the men and woman who will be wearing these devices day in and day out in the field, is an embarrassing insult to (the union’s) dedicated members,” the letter read.

Sniff has said that allowing deputies to view camera footage before making an official statement about an incident could lead them to alter their statements to fit what’s on the video.

The letter brings up other grievances, including Sniff’s repeated statements blaming union pay raises for an increase in what contract cities are charged for sheriff’s services.

“Such ‘increases’ were negotiated at the bargaining table and approved by the Board of Supervisors; a ‘bargaining table’ where you claimed you ‘have no seat,’” the letter read.

“When in truth, there has always been a sheriff’s management representative present at the table. The statement is misleading, and prejudices (the union’s) position in regard to future contract negotiations.”

The sheriff’s disciplinary system is too focused on punishment with overly harsh penalties and department managers “unilaterally implemented” policies regarding the use of take-home vehicles, the letter read.

The department employs more than 4,000 people, including deputies, corrections officers and civilian support staff. Besides policing contract cities and the county’s unincorporated areas, the department runs five jails, serves as the coroner’s office and provides courthouse security.

Sniff cruised to re-election last year and his term expires in 2018. He has been sheriff since October 2007, when the Board of Supervisors appointed him to replace Bob Doyle, who resigned to take a state parole board job.

Sheriff Sniff piloted one of the first body camera programs in the state, scaled back the take-home car program and blamed runaway pay and pensions for contract city's police force costs inflating. The union has pulled their support in return.