Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

uninterrupted posted:

Uh, Apple isn't shipping malware on its phones OR its computers.

iOS is malware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uninterrupted posted:

Uh, Apple isn't shipping malware on its phones OR its computers.

Apple is case where they pursue profits rather than marketshare. That's sort of their thing. It's why they have a 90% marketshare of computers over $1000 and take 85%+ of the profits from smartphone manufacturing.

That's also why everyone else is hosed because they're competing for table scraps from customers who don't want to pay for a quality product.

ilkhan posted:

Nope. Superfish and the more recent example show what Lenovo cares about, and its not the customer end-user. gently caress'em.

Again, you're acting like others are better when they're all pissing in the same pool. Lenovo will be the worst until someone else does something then someone else and then it's the industry standard. I'm not sure I see how that isn't the endgame.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
It is critical that we remember the real victims of the Holocaust: the Soviets.

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!

LastInLine posted:

Apple is case where they pursue profits rather than marketshare. That's sort of their thing. It's why they have a 90% marketshare of computers over $1000 and take 85%+ of the profits from smartphone manufacturing.

That's also why everyone else is hosed because they're competing for table scraps from customers who don't want to pay for a quality product.

Again, you're acting like others are better when they're all pissing in the same pool. Lenovo will be the worst until someone else does something then someone else and then it's the industry standard. I'm not sure I see how that isn't the endgame.

You said "What other sustainable option is there?" My point is that there obviously is one, it's just more effort than most manufacturers are willing to expend.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Phone: Moto G LTE. OS: 4.4.4.

Lately it has become more and more of annoyance how little time it takes until an app I have recently used will have to start from scratch when I switch back to it. Let's take an example:

1) I use Chrome and surf a website
2) I press the home button and then use Facebook Messenger for just 20 seconds
3) I press the tab button (the one that shows the list of running apps) and switch back to Chrome
4) Result: Chrome appears to "restart" and takes its time to render and reload the entire page again

It's even worse when I switch back to my GPS program, where it apparently doesn't know how to go into standby mode, so it restarts all over again, cancelling any current navigation.

It's not because the app has been updated, because I have automatic updating turned off.

I didn't seem to remember it was this bad just a few months ago (I've had the phone for a year now). I realize apps aren't allowed to chug away in the background forever, but how can even Chrome have to restart all over after being inactive for 20 seconds? Is is a setting, or is something totally hosed, and should I just reset and/or upgrade to 5.0?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Pilsner posted:

Lately it has become more and more of annoyance how little time it takes until an app I have recently used will have to start from scratch when I switch back to it. Let's take an example:

3) I press the tab button (the one that shows the list of running apps) and switch back to Chrome
4) Result: Chrome appears to "restart" and takes its time to render and reload the entire page again

It's even worse when I switch back to my GPS program, where it apparently doesn't know how to go into standby mode, so it restarts all over again, cancelling any current navigation.

It's not because the app has been updated, because I have automatic updating turned off.

I didn't seem to remember it was this bad just a few months ago (I've had the phone for a year now). I realize apps aren't allowed to chug away in the background forever, but how can even Chrome have to restart all over after being inactive for 20 seconds? Is is a setting, or is something totally hosed, and should I just reset and/or upgrade to 5.0?

It's because your Moto G has 1gig of ram and Moto phones are kind of notorious with bad memory management. Upgrading to Lollipop probably won't help

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

this_is_hard posted:

It's because your Moto G has 1gig of ram and Moto phones are kind of notorious with bad memory management. Upgrading to Lollipop probably won't help
To quote myself

quote:

I didn't seem to remember it was this bad just a few months ago (I've had the phone for a year now)
So, it's not because it only has 1 GB RAM. This is abnormal behavior, and hasn't always been like this.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

You are updating your apps though, right? Barring any specific issues with Motorola phones, of which I personally remember absolutely none from this thread over the past year or so, it's because as apps get updates, they use more and more and more RAM and processor time to support the additional features provided in those updates.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Pilsner posted:

To quote myself

So, it's not because it only has 1 GB RAM. This is abnormal behavior, and hasn't always been like this.
Restart the phone, see if it keeps doing it. Could be a memory leak somewhere.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Restart the phone, see if it keeps doing it. Could be a memory leak somewhere.

the littlest prince posted:

You are updating your apps though, right? Barring any specific issues with Motorola phones, of which I personally remember absolutely none from this thread over the past year or so, it's because as apps get updates, they use more and more and more RAM and processor time to support the additional features provided in those updates.

These guys are correct. It is 100% a memory issues; it could be because apps are demanding more resources/you have more of them, and the 1GB of RAM is becoming a road block, or it could be a memory leak somewhere. If you can do so without too much hassle, a factory reset will likely help, too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pilsner posted:

To quote myself

Well it does sound like a memory issue. Android doesn't use swap so your apps are either in memory or they're not, and when memory starts to get low the system will go looking for things to purge. It sends out a message that it's getting ready to lay some smack down, and apps have an opportunity to make themselves smaller and avoid getting kicked out, which will usually involve ditching big in-memory resources like renderered webpages and such, so they can keep their state and regenerate the big stuff instead of having to start over

There are a few different warning levels and apps are free to act (or not) on any of them, so when it dumps everything (or doesn't and gets purged) is down to the app, and the warning levels you hit depend on what else is going on on the device. Other stuff is obviously going to lean on your memory usage more, better-behaved apps will dodge the banhammer and leave something else in the firing line, and things like services have a higher priority than background apps, so if you're running more of those that leaves less room for the apps to hold big data

So basically it's complicated and there's no way of knowing exactly what's changed and what's causing it. If you go into Settings > Apps > Running and look at what's around if you like - the 'Running' part is your foreground app (probably Settings) and then any stuff with services running, which take priority. Hit the menu button and you can look at the cached background processes, which are your apps that aren't in the foreground and are just hanging around in memory, and they'll be the first to get cleared. If you have any big processes with services that you don't care about, that might be the place to look

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

These guys are correct. It is 100% a memory issues; it could be because apps are demanding more resources/you have more of them, and the 1GB of RAM is becoming a road block, or it could be a memory leak somewhere. If you can do so without too much hassle, a factory reset will likely help, too.

That is true also take in mind that the Facebook app is a space and RAM hose. My wife has a phone with 1.5gb RAM and every 2-3 weeks I have to clear the app cache for her or it becomes unusable (and anything you use it with). My sister has a 2013 G and has no issues with ram but then she never uses the facebook app or chrome, she uses facebook through firefox browser and the phone is snappy on lollipop.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

wooger posted:

Does it behave the same in the Chrome browser on android?
I took a couple of minutes to confirm this because I don't have Chrome set as my default browser, and was going to start blaming Android's Webview for my trouble. Had to do a back-and-forth comparison between native app and Chrome. It's significantly better on Chrome. :psyduck: Do native wrappers use browsers set to default as their web viewers? (not sure what the right technical term is) I normally use ABP's Adblock Browser beta, which iirc is modified Firefox.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uninterrupted posted:

You said "What other sustainable option is there?" My point is that there obviously is one, it's just more effort than most manufacturers are willing to expend.

Is there that option though? You'll have a tough time convincing me that there's room for two manufacturers who give a poo poo. Maybe there is, I really don't know. Aside from maybe automobile manufacturing I can't think of an industry where it's the case.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Is there that option though? You'll have a tough time convincing me that there's room for two manufacturers who give a poo poo. Maybe there is, I really don't know. Aside from maybe automobile manufacturing I can't think of an industry where it's the case.

heh...look at this goon who's never heard of Vertu.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

LastInLine posted:

Clothing?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Guillermus posted:

That is true also take in mind that the Facebook app is a space and RAM hose. My wife has a phone with 1.5gb RAM and every 2-3 weeks I have to clear the app cache for her or it becomes unusable (and anything you use it with). My sister has a 2013 G and has no issues with ram but then she never uses the facebook app or chrome, she uses facebook through firefox browser and the phone is snappy on lollipop.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or just the Facebook app (the regular one, not the messenger) eating RAM like crazy, but it was making my phone unusable recently. Uninstalling it felt like using a new device.

shalnark
Nov 17, 2014

thoughts on the Huawei P8max ?

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p8max-7200.php

My note 3 is bound to get replaced soon as I've been having some mic issues / whoever is talking with me would hear his voice.

My condolences for anyone who waited for the note 5.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

shalnark posted:

My note 3 is bound to get replaced soon as I've been having some mic issues / whoever is talking with me would hear his voice.

Anyone who waited on an N5 with expectations of it being something better (mSD card, etc) than it turned out to be is loving nuts.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah, "better".

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

shalnark posted:

And I thought the Mate 7 was big with 6", holy poo poo 6.8" that makes a Nexus 6 an iPhone :stare:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I took a couple of minutes to confirm this because I don't have Chrome set as my default browser, and was going to start blaming Android's Webview for my trouble. Had to do a back-and-forth comparison between native app and Chrome. It's significantly better on Chrome. :psyduck: Do native wrappers use browsers set to default as their web viewers? (not sure what the right technical term is) I normally use ABP's Adblock Browser beta, which iirc is modified Firefox.
WebView is a system component, it is part of the OS and does not depend on any particular browser that may (or may not) not be installed. Prior to Lollipop the WebView was a thing that was written for Android years ago and it was a bit of a shitheap. I'm not sure where it came from originally, possibly some old version of WebKit or it might have been entirely custom built for Android. These versions are sometimes called Dalvik WebView.

Since Lollipop, WebView has been Chromium-based and is updated via Play.

Edit: To comment on your actual issue, natively wrapped web-apps are frequently build using off-the-shelf "frameworks" (e.g. PhoneGap), many of which are of dubious quality. The idea is that they write all the code for you but in practice they often produce a lovely looking non-accelerated laggy mess. The problem is not your phone or the WebView or Android, it's the idiots who "wrote" that app.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 16, 2015

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I recently switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and in the process switched to an S6 (first time I've gone off of Nexus). Everything with the phone is great save for one issue. If I do a Speed Test on WIFI, download is right where it should be but when it comes to uploading...nothing happens. This is cropping up in some, but not all apps. Can't send pictures in SnapChat or Facebook Messenger, but can upload them to Facebook and have no trouble running a video chat through Skype.

Any input?

Edit: Upload works on other WiFi networks. All my other Android devices have no upload issue on my home network.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 16, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SMERSH Mouth posted:

My iPhone 6 committed suicide by jumping off a boat and I needed a fast & cheap replacement but didn't want to shrink my screen too much, so I'm now the proud owner of a 1st generation Moto X. Purchased used, off eBay, from a seller who apparently offloads old stock that was returned to Motorola but not refurbished.

I think I got a dud? Battery was dead on arrival, and while it can function while plugged in, I just let it charge for an hour and the battery is still showing 1%. I can get a replacement (the seller seems to have a decent swap / return policy if there's a problem with the phone they sell you) but its going to take some time. While I sit here wringing my hands over my device, can anyone tell me if phone batteries can behave like this if they're left run down for long amounts of time, but will eventually hold at least some charge if left plugged in ... Overnight? I mean I'm going to find out either way, but if someone here has experience with this issue or some knowledge about it, lay it on me.

Also, what's the newest version of Android that this thing can run, smoothly?

Edit: I also just cut up the SIM that was in my Nokia 635 backup phone so it would fit in the Moto X. This wouldn't have any effect on the battery and I'm retarded if I would even consider such a thing... Right?
SIM card is an all-or-nothing deal. Return/exchange it and run 4.4.4 on the new one.

Pilsner posted:

Found your problem.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

6.8"?

My thought is just loving why. I'm honestly getting kind of annoyed with this whole surfboard-sized phone trend. It's getting to the point where Apple makes the only decently sized phone anymore, and that's sad.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Daily Forecast posted:

6.8"?

My thought is just loving why. I'm honestly getting kind of annoyed with this whole surfboard-sized phone trend. It's getting to the point where Apple makes the only decently sized phone anymore, and that's sad.

Time to invest in a manpurse?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Tunga posted:

WebView is a system component, it is part of the OS and does not depend on any particular browser that may (or may not) not be installed. Prior to Lollipop the WebView was a thing that was written for Android years ago and it was a bit of a shitheap. I'm not sure where it came from originally, possibly some old version of WebKit or it might have been entirely custom built for Android. These versions are sometimes called Dalvik WebView.

Since Lollipop, WebView has been Chromium-based and is updated via Play.

Edit: To comment on your actual issue, natively wrapped web-apps are frequently build using off-the-shelf "frameworks" (e.g. PhoneGap), many of which are of dubious quality. The idea is that they write all the code for you but in practice they often produce a lovely looking non-accelerated laggy mess. The problem is not your phone or the WebView or Android, it's the idiots who "wrote" that app.

Many thanks for the clarification. I'm getting the impression that Chrome is a far better way to run any demanding JavaScript-based thing than anything else.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

jisforjosh posted:

I recently switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and in the process switched to an S6 (first time I've gone off of Nexus). Everything with the phone is great save for one issue. If I do a Speed Test on WIFI, download is right where it should be but when it comes to uploading...nothing happens. This is cropping up in some, but not all apps. Can't send pictures in SnapChat or Facebook Messenger, but can upload them to Facebook and have no trouble running a video chat through Skype.

Any input?

Edit: Upload works on other WiFi networks. All my other Android devices have no upload issue on my home network.
Try wiping your cache. That fixed a weird problem I had with data transfers. I do that every time I have an OTA update now.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Nalin posted:

Try wiping your cache. That fixed a weird problem I had with data transfers. I do that every time I have an OTA update now.

Tried it, twice now. Still nothing

shalnark
Nov 17, 2014

Daily Forecast posted:

6.8"?

I guess testing the extreme of phablets, where it truly combines your tablet and phone for reading / media viewing.

I remember seeing my friends sony xperia z ultra and finding it funny, guess the jokes on me now for thinking about this .

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

ruby idiot railed posted:

Somebody's already talked about the WiFi thing (I'm not sure the attribution to the problem is correct, however) but here's the Video app thing:

If you stream movies and TV shows off of it instead of download, it takes up an immense amount of cached space. Theoretically ios is supposed to manage that for you, but Videos app will absolutely tell you that it's out of space and can't stream anymore, and it all shows up under "Other" and is otherwise not removable without completely wiping and restoring the device.

This issue has been there for at least the last 4 major versions of ios.

Totally concur on the Video/'Other' Storage issue. I managed accidentally download a Game of Thrones episode..Took up 5GB of Other storage and I had to restore to get rid of it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So what's the consensus on Ambient Display on the Nexus 6? I looked back at the beginning of the thread just to check and didn't find much talk about it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

ruby idiot railed posted:

Yep, it shows up in Usage under "Other", but Video.app stream caching is what causes it.

Oh that sounds like iTunes. What about on device in General > Usage > videos?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

So what's the consensus on Ambient Display on the Nexus 6? I looked back at the beginning of the thread just to check and didn't find much talk about it.

i think it looks aesthetically more pleasing than the moto active display but is less useful

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

Found your problem.
Facebook Messenger just totally kills a phone or something? Now that I think of it, I started using FB Messenger about 2 months ago, and it coincides fairly well with how I feel it has been sluggish lately. :/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

this_is_hard posted:

i think it looks aesthetically more pleasing than the moto active display but is less useful

Does it use more battery life?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pilsner posted:

Facebook Messenger just totally kills a phone or something? Now that I think of it, I started using FB Messenger about 2 months ago, and it coincides fairly well with how I feel it has been sluggish lately. :/

You're best just using the Facebook website if you need it. The apps are the source of a fair few performance and battery issues people encounter.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
This current generation of phones is just awful because it's either a consistent poo poo sandwich (Samsung), a laughable hype-train device that is impossible to actually obtain (Oneplus), not out yet (Nexus), somehow worse than touchwiz (LG), a portable stove for emergency situations (HTC), or gutted and soon to be replaced with literal malware okay device (Motorola).

I don't know what to get because everything is bad and if I wasn't sticking with GV for my old number I would be strongly considering an iphone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

This current generation of phones is just awful because it's either a consistent poo poo sandwich (Samsung), a laughable hype-train device that is impossible to actually obtain (Oneplus), not out yet (Nexus), somehow worse than touchwiz (LG), a portable stove for emergency situations (HTC), or gutted and soon to be replaced with literal malware okay device (Motorola).

I don't know what to get because everything is bad and if I wasn't sticking with GV for my old number I would be strongly considering an iphone.

Could always just go last-gen and pick up a Nexus 6, Moto X 2014, or...well, just those two, really.

Or the Moto G 2015.

I loved the feel of the Galaxy S 6 and the Nexus S but goddamn the Nexus 6 just takes the whale-sized cake for feeling really nice in the hand. I think the iPhone 6+ and Nexus 6 feel the best in the hand for me.

Hopefully the Diztronic Ultra TPU won't change that. Anyone with that have any input on how it changes the feel? Is it heavier or thicker with those corners or just like a normal Diztronic but with bumps on the corners?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Logikv9 posted:

I'm intrigued on how the Samsung is a poo poo sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

vyst posted:

I'm intrigued on how the Samsung is a poo poo sandwich

Some people really, really hate touchwhiz, or care a lot how the phone looks externally and don't like cases?? I see where they're coming from, but don't really get why it gets the level of poo poo-talking it does. v:geno:v

My S5 has been fine, and the folks I know with S6s like them. It really depends on what matters to you, I guess.

Edit: from what I've seen I think their software used to be way worse.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 16, 2015