Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008

chrisoya posted:

Oh my god, yes.
The Black Company are working for a warlord nearby, Captain's told One-Eye & Goblin to grab Croaker and a bunch of volunteers for a little looting on the side.

Bingo. This is exactly what I was thinking. Set it up as hand picked members of the Company helping a Taken on a mission and it's perfect. Can even include someone like Silent as an apprentice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Has anyone read the Frostgrave short story collection yet (I think it was released to backers?) I'm just curious if it's worth buying.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I bought it just for the hell of it. It's not super bad, but it's not that good either, pretty much on par with what I expected from a bunch of short stories about a indie skirmish game.
It shows that dick moves are to be expected among wizard and there are a few stories that has some fun, weird locations. At least one of them is just lazy and one is by Matt Ward.
I'd say it was worth the $6 I paid.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
it's the locations I'm most interested in. I'd just lap up a supplement book that was page after page of weird and spooky terrain and board ideas. Any good ideas in there?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A quick glance through the bok reminds me that:
There's a plague hospital that unsurprisingly is full of undead. Not very exciting.
Then there's a place where "gods are forged" and that's all the explanation there is, except that it really sucs for any unworthy wizard that enters the crucible.
There's a heavily guarded prison where evil mage's souls are trapped in gemstones. If you take one of the gems, you'll have to deal with a creature of some kind that hunts it. If it gets the gem, the imprisoned wizard will be freed. This could probably be a fun scenario. Capture the treasures without releasing a bunch of superpowered, super pissed wizards.

The last one is "The Devils Observatory" which I think could be pretty great in a multiplayer match. A bunch of magic telescopes summon demons when they point at specific stars. These demons are supposed to show up in protected areas, but time and ice has broken some of telescopes so they sway gently in the wind, summoning demons up in a tree or right behind you.

Now I want to reread Roadside Picnic.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I need some sprue images!!

None yet; that was just a teaser announcement from Northstar. When I see them, I'll post them here, unless someone beats me too it.

They're are exactly what I'm looking for my necromancer warband though.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Loxbourne posted:

it's the locations I'm most interested in. I'd just lap up a supplement book that was page after page of weird and spooky terrain and board ideas. Any good ideas in there?

The little pieces of fluff in the book lend some cool ideas for possible scenarios, such as trying to decipher what the chained up wolf is saying(which could be a great beginning to a series of linked campaigns) or trying to catch those fireflies made of gems.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Electric Hobo posted:

Then there's a place where "gods are forged" and that's all the explanation there is, except that it really sucs for any unworthy wizard that enters the crucible.

Shoulda remembered Plato's Tenfold Error :v:

Actually Fate of Atlantis would be a perfect source of terrain ideas. And scenarios. That observatory sounds brilliant.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Are Mantic undead a good get for skeletons/zombies/ghouls/etc?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yes. The "official" Frostgrave undead pack is just a box of repackaged Mantic undead.

I never thought anyone would ever do modular plastic cultists, and I can't wait to see the sprues.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cultists are cool, are they just meant to be warband alternatives, or is there a supplement featuring them coming out?

Speaking of, I doubt it'd happen, but I wish they'd do a plastic set like that of the undead minions the Necromancer seems to have. Love that pre-Greek antiquity look.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of, I doubt it'd happen, but I wish they'd do a plastic set like that of the undead minions the Necromancer seems to have. Love that pre-Greek antiquity look.

Uh excuse me he didn't construct a phalactary and go through a bunch of secret and profane undeadification rituals to be called a mere "necromancer," he's a LICH LORD.
:goonsay:

I'm also curious if the cultists are just more flavorful "soldiers," or if they will be a new type of follower you can hire on to creep out your regular followers.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Otisburg posted:

Uh excuse me he didn't construct a phalactary and go through a bunch of secret and profane undeadification rituals to be called a mere "necromancer," he's a LICH LORD.
:goonsay:

I'm also curious if the cultists are just more flavorful "soldiers," or if they will be a new type of follower you can hire on to creep out your regular followers.

The undead peerage are notoriously stuffy about using the correct titles.

You better not refer to a Vampire Viscount as a Vampire Baron or heads will roll!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Electric Hobo posted:

Now I want to reread Roadside Picnic.

Yeah, went here to suggest just that. You can find a lot of interesting ideas in the STALKER games as well of course.

Frankly, the game just seems dripping with possibilities for cool setpieces. Now I just need a) terrain (Tried looking for the Malifaux terraclips but they went out of production years ago save for the sewers. Anyone knows of an equivalent?) b) People to play with. Though I ended up getting a few pairs of wizards and apprentices.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Messed around with the FG soldiers kit and bashed together three dudes for a quick comparison shot.

Crossbow guy in the middle was made from parts straight out of the FG box, lantern guy on the right has a GW head (I think from the Empire Militia set, I bought it along with other bits from eBay a while back), and axe guy on the left has a head from a Perry Miniatures box. I like how they all look different, and yet at the same time look similar, too. Like they're three bad dudes who have gone a-plundering together for years now. :v:

So yeah, there are loads of opportunities for making a unique warband with just simple head swaps. :c00lbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nice. My box arrives tomorrow, meantime been bonesing it up.

So what happens if a dude carrying a magic item gets iced? The rules don't cover it, unless I missed it.

I think maximum fun is it falls where he stands and can be picked up by a model with a free slot as an action.

E:actually now that I think about the recovery rules it makes more sense for it to stay with him till the fate roll and go to the vault if hes confirmed KIA. Could still be a fun house rule.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 15, 2015

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Otisburg posted:

Nice. My box arrives tomorrow, meantime been bonesing it up.

So what happens if a dude carrying a magic item gets iced? The rules don't cover it, unless I missed it.

I think maximum fun is it falls where he stands and can be picked up by a model with a free slot as an action.

E:actually now that I think about the recovery rules it makes more sense for it to stay with him till the fate roll and go to the vault if hes confirmed KIA. Could still be a fun house rule.

Technically when your henchman dies, so dies the magic in his gear. Frostgrave is a cruel mistress. That's actually a pretty good analogy, maybe magic items bind to spirits, at least temporarily, and a sudden death severs them.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Found a russian site on Pinterest which sells awesome terrain pieces for this kind of game.

https://www.ultraterrain.ru

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just finished a three way with three level 2 wizards. My thaumaturge, my son's witch, and my friend's necro. Normally I hate three ways, but this was a loving blast. Wandering monsters and the fact that we were all concentrating on the treasure instead of killing each other made the game come down to just 4 models on the table (one wizard for my son, an apprentice and his two thugs for the necro, and all my guys dead and/or gone). We ended up with an equal amount of treasure, and no casualties, except for my apprentice bearing some mental scars.

Blinding light is hilarious. 2 wizards with telekinesis playing mind soccer with a treasure is also hilarious.

So, what I am saying is that this game is the true Beer and Pretzels game to come out this year, as long as you drop XP for wizard kills and leave crits the gently caress out.

(edit) I just came back to make this clear...this was the funnest war game of any flavor that I have played in YEARS.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 16, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Working it the other way, would it work to keep kill XP in, but house rule that a kill (1) by a friendly model under a wizard buff, or (2) of an enemy model under a wizard debuff counts as a "wizard kill?"

Babby's first Frostgrave board:

Finished speed-painting my terrain board tomorrow. Going to add some more pieces to densify and modularize, and add ice/icicle effects, but pretty happy with the basics:

Vinyl mat I had from Warmahordes. Friend who works at a sign shop printed it off to "calibrate the equipment" (~$10 for the image off drivethrurpg, the mat itself was a hookup)

Reaper Bones Ruined Tower from the Dragons Don't Share diorama.
($35 KS, ~$70 retail)

Reaper Bones Kaladrax (display base)
($10KS, ~$50 retail)
Pretty happy with these. Plenty of detail that pops, lots of character, nice and sturdy and will hold up fine to being tossed in a bin for tranportation. Just plugged up the voids where the tabs on each model would go with air-dry clay.

Pegasus Hobbies Gothic Ruins (~$20 from Noble Knight Games)
Also happy with this. A nice big piece with good detail that snapped together really easilly. Covers a lot of real estate on the table and has a nice upper level to climb to for skirmish games. Makes to big corners that make the most sense positioned opposite eachother as a building sorta ripped in half.

Amera Hobbies Vacu-Formed Plastic Ruined Buildings (~$11 each, Noble Knight Games)
The details are quite soft, but the price is really great for a big piece of area ruined building terrain on a budget. They feel sturdy enough to stand up to anything short of crushing/smashing, as they're hollow. Really took to the Rustoleum Primer and what detail there was popped pretty well on the drybrush pass.

Worldsmith Industries, 4 slot Area Terrain + 4 Tree Stump Inserts (Worldsmith Industries $13) + Woodland Scenics Snowy Pines (~$11 for 9, Amazon.com)
The small resin ruined walls in the overview shot are also from Worldsmith ($13 for a bag of I think 11 pieces)
Really liked these, lots of detail that picked up, the walls in particular looked great after a simple prime and drybrush. The area terrain is going to do double-duty, I picked up some flat stone inserts as well so it can be Warmahordes rough/wooded terrain.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Otisburg posted:

Working it the other way, would it work to keep kill XP in, but house rule that a kill (1) by a friendly model under a wizard buff, or (2) of an enemy model under a wizard debuff counts as a "wizard kill?"

It would be more fair than it is in the book. I like the no XP fix better because it means the most valuable targets on the board are the treasures. There is already a good incentive to kill the other wizard, you don't want to add in 3 treasure boxes of XP on top of it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Otisburg posted:

Sweet Frostgrave terrain

Wow, that was fast! I was under the impression the pegasus gothic ruins would make more than one set piece so it's good to know it's more like a kit than a modular thing. Definitely copying lots of these ideas, though we are moving into Holiday season so dollar stores should have some cheap trees and decorations soon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jodai posted:

Wow, that was fast! I was under the impression the pegasus gothic ruins would make more than one set piece so it's good to know it's more like a kit than a modular thing.

I could have put it together more like a "T" but one of the floor pieces would have fit weird and one wall wouldn't have been left over. i think it can be combined with the "Small Gothic Buildings" set with the buttresses and poo poo, it had some extra holes I ended up plugging.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Not a viking posted:

Found a russian site on Pinterest which sells awesome terrain pieces for this kind of game.

https://www.ultraterrain.ru

I feel like I've seen some similar stuff from Itar's Workshop, but it's a good link. Considering the exchange rate, it's dead-cheap in the West - shame shipping would be murder and no clue if they can manage orders out of Russia, but I'm drat interested in giving it a shot.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
They haven't yet replied if they even ship abroad, so don't get your hopes up :(

I saw some of it is from hirtsarts as well.

On another note, what is the recommended size of playing surface for Frostgrave? Will a 4x4 foot table do?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Not a viking posted:

They haven't yet replied if they even ship abroad, so don't get your hopes up :(

I saw some of it is from hirtsarts as well.

On another note, what is the recommended size of playing surface for Frostgrave? Will a 4x4 foot table do?

2x2 will do for a 2 player game, but it gets violent fast. I like 3X3 for 2 players, or 4x4 for 3-4 players (which actually kind of works in Frostgrave due to alternating activation)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Alternating activation and random encounters really make it seem like its work really well even with an odd number of players.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I asked this earlier and no one chimed in, so retrying now. :v: How long are people finding a 2 player game takes? Assuming you limit yourself to something like 5 turns, or 6 at the outside?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
how do you play 3+ player games???

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I dont know much about Frostgrave but it sounds cool

im making wizard models

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Moola posted:

how do you play 3+ player games???

Just the same way as you play 2 player games, only with more treasure on the board. The game says 3 per player, but we're finding 2 per player plus a central treasure guarded buy a big monster like a snow troll or ice worm is a bit more fun. We haven't tried the scenarios with anything more than 2 players, though. We use the random wandering monsters optional rule for 3-4. It seems to help distract everyone from murdering everyone else when a group of armored skeletons wanders into their deployment zone.

Since the game has activation phases, one wizard and up to three lackeys will activate, then the next wizard, then the next wizard. After that, you do the same thing with the apprentice and his buds, then finally everyone else. Keeps people from having to wait too long to do something. Also, we usually have the player whose turn it isn't roll for the monsters' attacks.

I find small 2v2 game takes a bit over an hour. Our 3-4 player games have taken upwards of three hours, but they all involved new players (like they literally threw together a warband without reading any of the rules immediately before the game started). I bet it would go down closer to two after they get a few games under their belts. We haven't bothered limiting turns yet, but we have cut out XP for murdering wizards and apprentices to cause people to focus on the treasure and get the game over with.

I find the game gets loads more fun with beer and lots of poo poo talking.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 16, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this game sounds AWESOME!

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

Moola posted:

I ordered the book yesterday.

I always wanted to get more from Mordheim and I feel like this would be awesome.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Moola posted:

It really is the best wargame I have played in years. I missed Mordheim when it came around because none of my buds would try a game they said would stopped being supported in 6 months. they were right, too. I bought it anyway, and just made my little teams for myself. The saddest treasure hunters.

That being said, it could really use some polish and maybe some splatbooks.

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
what is a splatbook

Germ
May 7, 2013

Otisburg posted:

Germ, you have impressed me already before I even got my resin terrain bits and bobs from you. I groused a little at the shipping to myself but paid it. To my suprise I got a Paypal refund without even asking for it when your cost ended up being less, even though you could have kept it without me having another thought about it. As long as the terrain is good quality when it arrives that alone earns you my repeat business. You're a mensch.

Been away too long and missed this. Thanks a million for the order! I wish I could find a way to get my store to do shipping based on total size rather than weight, but them's the breaks. My solution has been to just refund $ if I can fit stuff into a smaller flat-rate box. I reckon I lose out on some orders, but it's the only work-around I could figure. Your board looks fantastic, BTW!

I've been busy at terrain and should have some super-cool stuff to share, but I reckon it'll be a couple months off.

Holy loving shitcakes those cultists are exactly what my summoning warband needs. If they are half as quality as the soldiers, I'll be in hog heaven.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

bencreateddisco posted:

what is a splatbook

An RPG term I slapped in because I couldn't remember the word they use in wargames. Like..I guess an expansion? Rules that add to the game but can't be used to play it on their own?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

The Dregs posted:

An RPG term I slapped in because I couldn't remember the word they use in wargames. Like..I guess an expansion? Rules that add to the game but can't be used to play it on their own?

slapbook

This is the best thing I've read all day, love it :)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ashcans posted:

I asked this earlier and no one chimed in, so retrying now. :v: How long are people finding a 2 player game takes? Assuming you limit yourself to something like 5 turns, or 6 at the outside?

I've played 5-6 games so far and I think on a reasonably sized table--so, no bigger than 3'x3'--a normal game will take 50-90 minutes if you're dicking around a little. None of mine have taken more than two hours, and I think if you're brisk you could get it done in far less. 30-45 minutes is probably doable with experienced players and turn limits (which I have not been playing with--I'm instead testing an escalation mechanic, where increasing numbers of creatures appear randomly as the game goes on, incentivizing players to get the gently caress off by the time turn 5-6 comes around). On a 2x2 table you can be done in like 4 turns anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

enri posted:

slapbook

This is the best thing I've read all day, love it :)

I'm so confused. What's a slapbook? I feel like there is a joke I am not getting. I was talking about splatbooks... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatbook