Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goose fleet posted:

There's one thing I never got, fluff-wise: if the Grey Knights are so secretive and just seeing them or acknowledging their presence is enough to get you killed or mind-wiped, then why the gently caress is their base right next to the central world of the entire Imperium?

Don't they psyker shield the planet or something? Make it invisible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LordAba posted:

Don't they psyker shield the planet or something? Make it invisible...

It's covered in Mortys

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

goose fleet posted:

There's one thing I never got, fluff-wise: if the Grey Knights are so secretive and just seeing them or acknowledging their presence is enough to get you killed or mind-wiped, then why the gently caress is their base right next to the central world of the entire Imperium?

Their base is a moon of saturn. That's ~relatively~ close to holy terra but it's not like you can just view it with a telescope in your backyard.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

sweet dbl post i made

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
The man has a good point actually since in The Emporer's Gift mentions merely sighting a Grey Knights ship can warrant the deaths of entire crews. Considering the amount of interstellar traffic it would require to keep Terra going since it is incapable of supporting life on its own, and the raw materials needed to keep Martian forges active. I assume that Saturn is essentially a big Inquisition no-fly zone and all traffic give it a wide berth.

30k Ultramarine advice needed, got into a campaign at the local store, obviously I'm not going to make an entire Forgeworld army so I'm mostly using proxy 40k models. We had a practice game which almost resulted in me having zero casualties until one of my tactical squads got swept off the table by 1 wound Preator, the only survivor.

I took 1250
The Hero of Calth
Master of Signal
2xApoths
2x 19 man tacticals
Contemptor Mortis w twin Assault
2x Vindicators

My plan to make a walking gun line flanked by the tanks worked like a charm and alternating Fury of the Legion on the squads while granting my army Counterattack using the Rites of War for ultras pretty much smash every enemy model off the table. My sons of Horus opponent clearly didn't do his homework.

In the future I'm thinking of dropping the Hero of Calth for a custom Preator on a bike that is kitted for CC. In addition I feel a 10 man Suzerain squad would be a wise point investment should we go higher in points.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ultramega posted:

Their base is a moon of saturn. That's ~relatively~ close to holy terra but it's not like you can just view it with a telescope in your backyard.

Actually, you can.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of projects, finally finished this dude:

BROTHER-CHAPLAIN TURBOPOPE :black101: THE THIRD is done, save for varnishing and a couple of grass tufts on the soil-y bits of the base. I had way too much building and converting this dude.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

X-posting from the miniatures thread,

My latest little conversion project. I've got a lot of stuff I finally finished painting, too, just need to get a proper camera on them!

"I WILL gently caress YOU UP! :black101:"

That is super cool. You don't see a ton of non-terminators with scythes. Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DrPop posted:

That is super cool. You don't see a ton of non-terminators with scythes. Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Thank you, glad you like him! I had a ton of fun building the scythe and shield. Looking forwards to painting him!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

The man has a good point actually since in The Emporer's Gift mentions merely sighting a Grey Knights ship can warrant the deaths of entire crews. Considering the amount of interstellar traffic it would require to keep Terra going since it is incapable of supporting life on its own, and the raw materials needed to keep Martian forges active. I assume that Saturn is essentially a big Inquisition no-fly zone and all traffic give it a wide berth.

30k Ultramarine advice needed, got into a campaign at the local store, obviously I'm not going to make an entire Forgeworld army so I'm mostly using proxy 40k models. We had a practice game which almost resulted in me having zero casualties until one of my tactical squads got swept off the table by 1 wound Preator, the only survivor.

I took 1250
The Hero of Calth
Master of Signal
2xApoths
2x 19 man tacticals
Contemptor Mortis w twin Assault
2x Vindicators

My plan to make a walking gun line flanked by the tanks worked like a charm and alternating Fury of the Legion on the squads while granting my army Counterattack using the Rites of War for ultras pretty much smash every enemy model off the table. My sons of Horus opponent clearly didn't do his homework.

In the future I'm thinking of dropping the Hero of Calth for a custom Preator on a bike that is kitted for CC. In addition I feel a 10 man Suzerain squad would be a wise point investment should we go higher in points.

This is a fun balanced list. I love vindicators, but they tend to be hit or miss and spend a lot of time belly up. Suzerain squads are a bit overcosted, I think. Otherwise a beat stick preator should do you well and add some mobility to an otherwise pretty static legion list (by now you probably have an idea of how a legion plays, which is much more methodical than a space marine army).

For larger games I would look into some AT- around 2000 points you'll see things like spartans and typhon siege tanks.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

This is a fun balanced list. I love vindicators, but they tend to be hit or miss and spend a lot of time belly up. Suzerain squads are a bit overcosted, I think. Otherwise a beat stick preator should do you well and add some mobility to an otherwise pretty static legion list (by now you probably have an idea of how a legion plays, which is much more methodical than a space marine army).

For larger games I would look into some AT- around 2000 points you'll see things like spartans and typhon siege tanks.

I would love 3 of those ordinance Lascannons if they were usable for 40k, but I refuse to buy exclusively for a version of a game I rarely play to begin with that is in my opinion inferior to the 41st setting. Don't get me wrong I like idea of getting point reductions by maxing out squads and getting penalties for running minimum sized units, honestly 40k could use some of that, but the game itself is already dominated by space marine lists, so taking all the aliens out kind of removes the fun for me.

The only reason I'm buying suzerain is because I can double them as honor guard in 40k, I might get that quadcannon because it can act as a Thunderfire or even a scorpion as a whirlwind, but some 30k models just have no 40k equivalent and I'm hesitant to use them.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 16, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks to GWs approach of 'anything goes' playing 30k in 40k army is entirely legal. Before you were forced to use a common FOC, but now that this doesn't matter anything goes. Your only restriction are allies which must come from the matrix you were provided. If you group insists against this, there is also IA13 and IA12 which have rules for rapiers in both Chaos and CSM armies.

I started my army as a CSM/30k crossover. Like you I wanted something I could play in both settings. Over time this has entirely gone away and I play exclusively 30k in 40k. I think the Age of Darkness rules are superior to those in 40k, but I agree that taking out aliens removes a lot of the flavor. My dream is having a group that uses 40k armies with the Age of Darkness rules.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks to GWs approach of 'anything goes' playing 30k in 40k army is entirely legal. Before you were forced to use a common FOC, but now that this doesn't matter anything goes. Your only restriction are allies which must come from the matrix you were provided. If you group insists against this, there is also IA13 and IA12 which have rules for rapiers in both Chaos and CSM armies.

I started my army as a CSM/30k crossover. Like you I wanted something I could play in both settings. Over time this has entirely gone away and I play exclusively 30k in 40k. I think the Age of Darkness rules are superior to those in 40k, but I agree that taking out aliens removes a lot of the flavor. My dream is having a group that uses 40k armies with the Age of Darkness rules.

What specifically makes Age of Darkness different from regular 40k? I've seen the sentiment that it's better than the vanilla rules but have never gotten a concrete answer for why it's better.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's basically 6.5 edition:
  • Only troops score and deny, so they matter a lot more (there are a few special units that deny, but don't score)
  • You have the option to treat D weapons as S10 AP1 ignores cover with a few other special rules thrown ontop
  • Only a single allied detachment is permitted in the standard FOC
  • The standard FOC has 4 elites and 3 HQs
  • Every army has the option to modify their FOC in a few different ways- each of these has special restrictions that balances it out
  • LOWs can't take up more than 20% of your army. For context, Knight Titans count as LOWs in 30k for most armies
  • No formations
  • No unbound
  • Allies can't use each other's transports
  • You can deepstrike fliers into zooming or flying mode
  • No random strategic cards or whatever the hell that dumb game type is called
  • A bunch of interesting heresy themed game types
Think of it as a total conversion- while it might not seem like much, the end result is a tighter more balanced game. You have tons of options on how to build your army, but it's a level playing field besides the nuances of your faction.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 16, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
http://imgur.com/a/Xumx6

Album of latest apocalypse game. Imperium Victor!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Holy hell that ork blob flanking maneuver. Also that gargant with the battlewaggon head conversion.

That game looks like it was super fun!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

It was. A 156-man strong green tide outflanked with the flanking maneuver card. Goddamned Blood Axes.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Huge thanks to some goons (tasty food, Post 9-11 User, and Renfield) for helping me get the Eldar bits needed to assemble all my Jetbikes. Truly this website is Something Wonderful.

Here's the squads in progress. Previously I only had three Guardian Jetbikes, a Vyper, and an Autarch on Jetbike. For my birthday I got six new Guardian Jetbikes and converted my old ones to Shining Spears. With the new kits and bits I've added an additional two Shining Spears and a Warlock on Jetbike.

Wanted the Warlock to look special, and I'm real happy with how my spare Wraithknight head looks. I was missing a bit for the bottom of the jet intakes, hence the blobby greenstuff, but it will all be smoothed and filed down before priming.

Thanks again, goons!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 17, 2015

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thanks again, goons!
:vince:

That looks rad as hell

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So it's possible for Tyranids to ally with other armies, right? How do you even explain that, fluff-wise?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Genestealers can take over other races. While the member of the cult won't hug a ripper, they will work for the tyranids to pave the way for a total invasion. For a fluffy version you would take genestealer and lictors to represent the beginning of an invasion before cult members realize they are hosed and freak out.

DJ Dizzy posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Xumx6

Album of latest apocalypse game. Imperium Victor!

Those bridges make me nervous. Hopefully nothing fell over!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 17, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

How does a Genestealer breed with a Necron?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

goose fleet posted:

So it's possible for Tyranids to ally with other armies, right? How do you even explain that, fluff-wise?

They're both in the same place at the same time.

Something something psychic beacon.

'Stealer cults.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goose fleet posted:

You see, a hatch opens up on the underside of the.... oh.

Genestealers have psyker powers that might work to control the stripped down consciousness of the basic necron? Necrons are actually calling the shots because they have an artificial hive mind? Use your imagination because who really cares when you get right down to it?

Did you have something more specific in mind?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I suppose you mean if I played a Legion wholesale in a 40K game? That would be neat, but honestly I enjoy the basic chapter rules more than the Legion rules. I know there are a lot of 40K rules for units you find in 30K, like the Contemptor Mortis(same price but with -1 BS, lame!) but I assume a lot of units on the Legion list are solely meant to be part of Legion, and not a Chapter. Also, I question the balance of some of the units in 30K. The twin-linked Lascannon with AP 1 and Ordinance special rule is a perfect example of this. You can take a battery of these things for less than 200 points, who play tested this? Why would I ever get normal Lascannons?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It could also just be complete coincidence that the "allied force" is attacking alongside the Tyranids or maybe they're using them as a distraction and/or cover while they go for their own objectives. As for why the Tyranids aren't murdering the poo poo out of them? :iiam: Maybe they just have a specific set of instructions.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

goose fleet posted:

They don't, but if you are looking for story ideas you could simply say that the living metal of a Necron has hybridized with the Genestealers creating some sort of Cybernetic monstrosity.

Honestly, I am surprised no one has attempted to go this route by making some sort of hybrid Necron and Tyranid army. To assume to that Tyranids can't adapt to infect non-organic life is a lack of imagination. Simply assume the viruses or poisons they are using on Necrons are not organic.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It's probably not been done because the come the apocalypse allies rules are horrible.

Also, there's no army that would benefit from being diluted with Tyranids.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

ro5s posted:

It's probably not been done because the come the apocalypse allies rules are horrible.

Also, there's no army that would benefit from being diluted with Tyranids.

I think it would like pretty awesome simply on a cosmetic level.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

LordAba posted:

Those bridges make me nervous. Hopefully nothing fell over!

Nope, they were structurally reinforced with some plastic lids I found.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm just going to use this discussion to post this thing again.

I use this thing in tournaments all the time and it pairs with the nids pretty well. I've also used Imperial Guard as genestealer cult a few times as allies before, but they don't play as well with the nids as the knight does. Though I could see allying in a CAD of nids with my guard consisting of a Tervigon in a pod, two mucolid spores and some mawlocs to just pound the enemy backfield while the imperial guard hold back with their long range guns.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

I suppose you mean if I played a Legion wholesale in a 40K game? That would be neat, but honestly I enjoy the basic chapter rules more than the Legion rules. I know there are a lot of 40K rules for units you find in 30K, like the Contemptor Mortis(same price but with -1 BS, lame!) but I assume a lot of units on the Legion list are solely meant to be part of Legion, and not a Chapter. Also, I question the balance of some of the units in 30K. The twin-linked Lascannon with AP 1 and Ordinance special rule is a perfect example of this. You can take a battery of these things for less than 200 points, who play tested this? Why would I ever get normal Lascannons?

It's cool if that that's what you like and want to play!

As for balance, I wish laser destroyers were quad lascanons instead of a single and one only shot at 36" (or 42", depending on your book). Quad Mortars are better example of something objectively good. There are powerful options, for sure, but I'd say there's more broken combinations in vanilla 40k. Not to mention you have to spend a good chunk of points on expensive compulsory choices before you can even unlock the good stuff. No way to spam 5 man tactical squads and drop pods in 30k. No formations that give you an unfair advantage etc.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 17, 2015

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

LordAba posted:

Did you have something more specific in mind?

Not really, I'm just trying to figure out how some of the weirder ally combinations could work. Like Chaos Daemons and Grey Knights.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Khorne Daemonkin codex talks about how one of the warbands attacks an imperial fortress that is in the path of a hive fleet, so that they can harvest the biggest and best tyranid skulls for Khorne from the benefit of entrenched positions they didn't need to build. That's a scenario where you could have any (surviving) imperial force fighting alongside Chaos against a common enemy.
Was a bit the same (except more silly) with the story of blood angels teaming up with necrons to fight off tyranids, but that's been cemented in the allies matrix. That's the angle to come at with these weirder combinations, a bigger common enemy. Demons and Grey Knights is a bit of a loving stretch but even then you could swing some eldar farseer did it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone in the United States have two pairs of ork legs for trade/sale/adoption? I lost and refound some heavy weapon torso way after I had assembled the legs as just regular boyz.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

It's cool if that that's what you like and want to play!

As for balance, I wish laser destroyers were quad lascanons instead of a single and one only shot at 36" (or 42", depending on your book). Quad Mortars are better example of something objectively good. There are powerful options, for sure, but I'd say there's more broken combinations in vanilla 40k. Not to mention you have to spend a good chunk of points on expensive compulsory choices before you can even unlock the good stuff. No way to spam 5 man tactical squads and drop pods in 30k. No formations that give you an unfair advantage etc.

Not that it stops people from being upset about some of the stuff. Was in an event this weekend where I got to play my 30k and primarchs were specifically allowed, you could do 1 man 2k list, or a 2 man team of 1k each, always allies of Convenience with a couple small bonuses to encourage people to pair up, need to kill both warlords for the point, 1 automatic reserve.

My fire raptor and perturabo's augury array in a unit of tyrant siege terminators were called cheesy by a dude who was running max flyrants with his partner running webway portal D-scythes......

Im really glad they almost never show up to events.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Speaking primarily from experience in much simpler games, such as x-wing and armada, I'm kind of at the point now where I hate playing tabletop wargames. While about half of the people I run into are decent human beings, and I get to have fun playing the game, the other half always seem to be insufferable douchebags. I try to fly casual, avoid gloating, and keep things light, but really kills my enthusiasm for a game when I spend several hours of my increasingly limited free time with people that don't seem to be enjoying themselves AT ALL who agonize over every decision, get visibly upset when things don't go their way, or rules lawyer their way through everything to try and gain advantage through technicality. My last game I played left me thinking "I could have gone to the movies with my girlfriend instead of this. What the gently caress is wrong with me?"

I can only imagine what some of these 40k events can be like, with the sheer volume of rules and combinations available. My only real interest in warhammer at this point is to paint up stuff I think looks cool, and daydream about playing low point value games with them (but never actually do it).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah it's always been like that. Someday you will a few good ham bros and things will be different.

Unless we get AoS'ed.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We will get AoS'ed, I have no doubt about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

goose fleet posted:

Not really, I'm just trying to figure out how some of the weirder ally combinations could work. Like Chaos Daemons and Grey Knights.

Oh that's easy - corrupted GK

• Locked thread