Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Goddamn you guys are wimps, the crimson is not that bad.

Also my base in my current game is underground. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Sticky Dynamite owns for precision area removal. I learned that after my first experience with mass crimson removal.

My first time I just got some wings and flew over a crimson desert and bombed it recklessly. Then I turned all of the sand into glass.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I keep a few spare clentaminators and a chest full of green solution on my storage world just in case I need to "fix" a biome spreading where I don't want it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So I've been working on a living tree house, as I spawned in right next to one. Any suggestions on making it look less like a communist bloc?

Turned the big room that I was starting to make into a trophy room, and put some more lights down to show things off, but other than that, still pretty much the same.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

In places, take the wall tiles just outside the blocks, gives the outside a rougher, barkier appearance. Don't be afraid to make indiviual rooms thinner or wider than each other by a tile or two, keeps the utility and adds a lot to appearance. Randomly hammering blocks makes a bigass tree look realer, but it takes a while to get looking right, probably why mine is still unfinished. Yours is looking good so far though!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Davoren posted:

In places, take the wall tiles just outside the blocks, gives the outside a rougher, barkier appearance. Don't be afraid to make indiviual rooms thinner or wider than each other by a tile or two, keeps the utility and adds a lot to appearance. Randomly hammering blocks makes a bigass tree look realer, but it takes a while to get looking right, probably why mine is still unfinished. Yours is looking good so far though!

Hrm, I'll experiment a bit with it. If you'd like I'd love to have some company as I try and get my creative juices flowing. I'm here

Ariong posted:

Coding stuff

Oh *holy* poo poo. As someone trying to learn code, I know just enough to know that it's a loving miracle this code works. Oh man, I'm kind of in awe. These people did the best they could, clearly were over their heads, and managed to pull it off anyway. Holy crap. That's awesome. :3:

edit: Sorry about loving up the URL placement.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 16, 2015

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

E-Tank posted:

So I've been working on a living tree house, as I spawned in right next to one. Any suggestions on making it look less like a communist bloc?

Turned the big room that I was starting to make into a trophy room, and put some more lights down to show things off, but other than that, still pretty much the same.

It's just a tad geometric to be a living tree. I would've opted to build cabins and such on the branches of the tree and use the hollow innards as a place for a ladder. And of course, fill each small cabin with stuff pertinent to the NPC.

A simpler solution is the dryad's room. Just make that part more circular and top the whole structure off with leaf.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ooh is it time for me to post my tree again

BIG image.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Holy poo poo... The solar eruption is the single greatest weapon in this game. It just pops everything so satisfyingly

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Inge posted:

Holy poo poo... The solar eruption is the single greatest weapon in this game. It just pops everything so satisfyingly

you obviously haven't gotten star wrath yet

(I haven't gotten Meowmere yet)

Nevz
Aug 13, 2009
Guys is there any addon to give either unlimited inventory, or expanded?

I love the combat in terraria but get so frustrated at collecting junk all the time.. spend more time messing around throwing things away than playing the game. Just get overwhelmed by all the crap i collect and no idea really what it's for...

To add, I have searched and searched but it seems a taboo subject.. no idea why! Is there any reason something like this isn't available? It would change the game from a chore into a pleasure

Nevz fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 16, 2015

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I dunno but something I only just learned recently was that the piggy bank can actually hold non-coins, I always just assumed it was money-only. Which is why people are always saying the money trough is so good, you can open it and stuff it full of garbage while you are out strip-mining the dungeon and such. The safe can also work like that but you gotta plop it down on a platform first, but together they can give you a lot of extra carrying space. Frustrating to learn after I did my full normal-mode playthrough, but it's making my expert one a lot easier.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nevz posted:

I love the combat in terraria but get so frustrated at collecting junk all the time.. spend more time messing around throwing things away than playing the game. Just get overwhelmed by all the crap i collect and no idea really what it's for...

To add, I have searched and searched but it seems a taboo subject.. no idea why! Is there any reason something like this isn't available? It would change the game from a chore into a pleasure

Because there's no conceivable way to have an infinite inventory with the way this game's inventory functions?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Because there's no conceivable way to have an infinite inventory with the way this game's inventory functions?

No need to make it infinite but it would be really nice to have more space, especially since so many new items were added.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Maybe in the next big update, we can have seven accessory slots :allears:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

BillmasterCozb posted:

Maybe in the next big update, we can have seven accessory slots :allears:

What next big update.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

President Ark posted:

Goddamn you guys are wimps, the crimson is not that bad.

It's bad because your NPCs can't live there anymore and the houses you built are now worthless. They really have to spread at harder angles and have a 0% chance of going anywhere near the center of the map.

E-Tank posted:

Oh *holy* poo poo. As someone trying to learn code, I know just enough to know that it's a loving miracle this code works. Oh man, I'm kind of in awe. These people did the best they could, clearly were over their heads, and managed to pull it off anyway. Holy crap. That's awesome. :3:

It's Get poo poo Done code. On the most basic level, as long as the logic checks out, you're fine. We no longer live in an era where your code needs to be perfect and efficient because unless you're doing billions of calculations per frame, you probably won't even use up 5% of even the average computer's processor power.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 16, 2015

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

omeg posted:

No need to make it infinite but it would be really nice to have more space, especially since so many new items were added.

Between the Money Trough and the equipment slots I don't really find myself having all THAT much issue with what I have to carry. I do occasionally have to open up my inventory and trash random dirt/stone/sand that I don't need to make room but pretty rarely. And at that point usually I mirror/cell phone home, dump stuff into my chests and then go right back to where I was relatively quickly either via teleport or minecart.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

It's bad because your NPCs can't live there anymore and the houses you built are now worthless. They really have to spread at harder angles and have a 0% chance of going anywhere near the center of the map.
The guy was at the border of the jungle, he was pretty far from the center.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

Between the Money Trough and the equipment slots I don't really find myself having all THAT much issue with what I have to carry. I do occasionally have to open up my inventory and trash random dirt/stone/sand that I don't need to make room but pretty rarely. And at that point usually I mirror/cell phone home, dump stuff into my chests and then go right back to where I was relatively quickly either via teleport or minecart.

All the banners fill up your inventory really quickly and its a huge pain. Yeah you can just trash them or put them up where you found them but still

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TWIST FIST posted:

All the banners fill up your inventory really quickly and its a huge pain. Yeah you can just trash them or put them up where you found them but still

How many banners do you have in your inventory at a time? With the "quick stack to all nearby chests" button I only ever have to place a banner into a chest once and then it's gone in half a second every time I stack stuff.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah but that means I would have to go back to base more often to drop everything often and that's still a pain

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Bluhman posted:

It's just a tad geometric to be a living tree. I would've opted to build cabins and such on the branches of the tree and use the hollow innards as a place for a ladder. And of course, fill each small cabin with stuff pertinent to the NPC.

A simpler solution is the dryad's room. Just make that part more circular and top the whole structure off with leaf.

Well once again, if anybody wants to come and help me figure out a better way to do this, Please add me on steam. http://steamcommunity.com/id/EdwardTank/

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The White Dragon posted:

Chuck some holy water at it until it changes to hallow, then. NPCs don't give a poo poo about hallow.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nevz posted:

You should really set up a storage room with chests for any kind of stackable item. It doesn't have to be that many; I use one for dirt and stone and poo poo, one for bricks, one for ores and bars, one for enemy drops and rope and such, one for potion ingredients, and one for hardmode drops and crystal shards and such. Then chests for furniture and tools as needed.

It's a bit of a pain, but your inventory comes with a "Quick stack to nearby chests" button. Once you have the chests set up, it takes one click to get rid of gel and rope and dirt blocks and whatever else just keeps piling up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
There's no real way around either trashing worthless stuff or cutting your dives short with a trip home to drop things off. No mod that I know off extends inventory space.

Banners are junk though, you need maybe two of each to cover an arena and the effects don't stack.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The solution is too realize most of the items you pick up are worthless even as vendor fodder and you should just be throwing them out. Stop hoarding literally every dirt block.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The solution is too realize most of the items you pick up are worthless even as vendor fodder and you should just be throwing them out. Stop hoarding literally every dirt block.

But it could be useful some daaaaaay

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Internet Kraken posted:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK YOU MONSTER

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Someone suggested you should be able to make an infinite dirt block the same way you can make an infinite quiver/ musket pouch currently. I really wish they would implement that, along with infinite stone, mud, ebonstone etc. Then include a pickup filter so you could tell it to ignore or auto-trash dirt.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Cicadalek posted:

Someone suggested you should be able to make an infinite dirt block the same way you can make an infinite quiver/ musket pouch currently. I really wish they would implement that, along with infinite stone, mud, ebonstone etc. Then include a pickup filter so you could tell it to ignore or auto-trash dirt.

i said that as a joke but if they actually added that it'd be pretty neato to be honest

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cicadalek posted:

They did, it's called the Ice rod. There's also the Dirt rod but it only moves Dirt, it doesn't generate it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

VineST posted:

i said that as a joke but if they actually added that it'd be pretty neato to be honest

The recipe to make that would be 50 stacks of 999 blocks of dirt. :v:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

RatHat posted:

They did, it's called the Dirt wand.

that just moves dirt, i think

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I meant the Ice rod.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The ice from the rod only lasts 15 seconds though. If it was permanent and there was a similar rod for all of the common materials it would be kind of cool, but having to place and then mine the blocks to use for crafting would be tedious.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Cicadalek posted:

The ice from the rod only lasts 15 seconds though. If it was permanent and there was a similar rod for all of the common materials it would be kind of cool, but having to place and then mine the blocks to use for crafting would be tedious.

You could just use that workshop map floating around that has a million of every single thing in the game

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The angler is an rear end in a top hat, but the real villain is the merchant. I'm constructing a large actuated environment, you dick. I'm building a part of the world that will kill you forever until I get what I want. So yeah, maybe sell me a bow sometime this century.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mailer posted:

The angler is an rear end in a top hat, but the real villain is the merchant. I'm constructing a large actuated environment, you dick. I'm building a part of the world that will kill you forever until I get what I want. So yeah, maybe sell me a bow sometime this century.

Traveling Merchant? I'm going to assume you've actually killed Plantera, which is required for him to have Pulse Bow as a possibility.

In which case, murder away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

The White Dragon posted:

It's Get poo poo Done code. On the most basic level, as long as the logic checks out, you're fine. We no longer live in an era where your code needs to be perfect and efficient because unless you're doing billions of calculations per frame, you probably won't even use up 5% of even the average computer's processor power.

Or you're working with something like BYOND and Space Station 13's garbage pile of oldcode, in which case Satan himself lurks behind every corner, waiting for you to step on a landmine.