Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That Arkansas passing game looked top notch against MSState but lol at our secondary last year so I really can't judge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Manoueverable posted:

After the last 7-8 years the NCAA threads have died out a lot. VT, South Carolina, and Alabama are easily the most prominent teams and the rest has become pretty much exclusively SEC chat with the occasional Iowa-Iowa State slapfight, Ohio State :smug:-fest and Big 12/Pac-12 Beat Report from Texas/Oklahoma posters, Spiritus Nox, Tad SG, VDay, the Oregon Bandwagoners, and Manoueverable.

For someone who enjoys hearing about the college football landscape, it's kind of a sad state of affairs :(

That's because this place isn't very welcoming. Y'all run people off. So groverat liked to touch children -- is that so bad?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PostNouveau posted:

Baylor swears this was just a coincidence

Also, Iowa decided that LeShun Daniels will be their starting RB, so expect him to blow out his ACL, LCL and PCL soon.

And buried in a feature on a former Bama coach who defected to Auburn was this gem:

It's OK, Nick. You only worked with the guy for seven loving years.

He's already hurt but they claim it's not serious.

Iowa had a scrimmage thing yesterday too. The offense couldn't do anything because the tackles are both horrible. So now we can't even develop those.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I am really afraid of Texas A&M and Auburn given their new DCs. It's strange that on one hand Auburn is so highly regarded but A&M is predicted to be on the bottom of the pile. Can't wait until the season starts.

Yeah, I think people are sleeping on A&M a bit. I guess it's understandable given the strength of the SEC West, but they could be a surprise team this year.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, I think people are sleeping on A&M a bit. I guess it's understandable given the strength of the SEC West, but they could be a surprise team this year.

Excepting 'Bama, who everyone assumes will continue to be a juggernaut, any team in the SEC West could be a surprise this year. Heck, most of the preseason rankings I've seen give credence mostly to returning starters. I can't think of a more uncertain outcome for the conference in the past 2 decades. I know it's pundit-speak, but the West is riddled with unknowns right now.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Excepting 'Bama, who everyone assumes will continue to be a juggernaut, any team in the SEC West could be a surprise this year. Heck, most of the preseason rankings I've seen give credence mostly to returning starters. I can't think of a more uncertain outcome for the conference in the past 2 decades. I know it's pundit-speak, but the West is riddled with unknowns right now.

I was going to write this exact same post. It seems there has been such an arms war of recruiting, coordinator/coach pay, etc. that the SEC West could go to just about anyone. I'm not sure I'm convinced that Alabama is going to be that good this year. They are losing a lot and I'm not sure that Henry is the back that everyone thinks he is. If Drake returns to form that will help them.

I'm about as excited for this season as I've been for any season in a long time.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
And now returning RB Jonathan Williams will undergo foot surgery and miss much of the season. This was one of my major concerns going into the season (RB depth) and here we are already facing it!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

And now returning RB Jonathan Williams will undergo foot surgery and miss much of the season. This was one of my major concerns going into the season (RB depth) and here we are already facing it!

:shepicide:

Welp. That was not the post I wanted to see.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Don't worry Auburn will find a way to gently caress up fulfilling the lofty expectations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

:shepicide:

No longer looking forward to this season

I haven't heard when we are getting Juan Day back. Hopefully he can go this season as well as Walker and Rawleigh.

Bielema mentions short and long term effects and I suspect that the decision will be whether to come back at the end of the season or to forgo the season. I guess it will depend on his projected draft position and whether he might want to go for a medical hardship extra year.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 16, 2015

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Michigan preview - D-Line will be bad, WRs will be bad, QB will probably be bad

Forecast says mediocrity

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Re: Auburn hype vs. A&M skepticism, I think it's very easy to glance at Auburn's roster and imagine a quick turnaround on defense as long as you don't think about it too hard. Front seven should include Carl Lawson, Montravious Adams -- either capable of the kind of jump Nick Fairley and Dee Ford took their junior years; Devonte Lambert and Byron Cowart competing for the other end, maybe Cowart moving inside some as needed, and the hypothetically very talented seniors Kris Frost and Cassanova McKinzy. Just don't ask about depth anywhere, especially in the secondary.

I don't know if there's a similar storyline you can imagine for A&M and Chavis, but I won't be surprised if we're still a year out from actually having a second string in order.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

That ramblin' wreck gif is always the funniest goddamn thing and I'm never entirely sure why I find it so great.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I saw somebody driving that car in Atlanta this weekend and the poor woman looked like she was in fear of her life. Thing was throwing her around violently. Shocks are a hell of a thing

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neodoomium posted:

That ramblin' wreck gif is always the funniest goddamn thing and I'm never entirely sure why I find it so great.

I feel like that two-second looping gif represents the spirit of Georgia Tech better than words can.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Re: Auburn hype vs. A&M skepticism, I think it's very easy to glance at Auburn's roster and imagine a quick turnaround on defense as long as you don't think about it too hard. Front seven should include Carl Lawson, Montravious Adams -- either capable of the kind of jump Nick Fairley and Dee Ford took their junior years; Devonte Lambert and Byron Cowart competing for the other end, maybe Cowart moving inside some as needed, and the hypothetically very talented seniors Kris Frost and Cassanova McKinzy. Just don't ask about depth anywhere, especially in the secondary.

I don't know if there's a similar storyline you can imagine for A&M and Chavis, but I won't be surprised if we're still a year out from actually having a second string in order.

Like I said in the predictions thread, if A&M gets at least 8 wins this season will exceed my expectations. I just don't know enough about my team (defense, QB although I'm a little more comfortable there) or the rest of the SEC-W (Bama excluded obviously).

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

quote:

Coach Warren VP
‏@DemetricDWarren
Breaking: Former 2015 5 Star QB Ricky Town has requested a transfer from #USC. Coach Sarkisian verbally agreed to Ricky Town's decision.

Well that's interesting, what the hell happened there?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that's kinda weird. Seems like it's probably just a depth chart/playing time issue at first seeing as how USC has like four 4/5* QBs on its roster at any time, but you figure he knew he wouldn't get to play this year when he committed. Kind of a bummer, I was looking forward to watching Rosen and him play against each other for the next couple of years after Kessler graduates.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eltoasto posted:

Well that's interesting, what the hell happened there?

That's pretty huge right? Wasn't that kid supposed to be the next big thing out there?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Town was one of the like 5 California QBs that were top 10 QB recruits last year and will probably be real good wherever he goes, but I have a feeling USC will survive. Those poor bastards are going to have to scrape by and rely on either 5* Max Browne (Soph) or 4* Darnold (Fr) next year after Kessler graduates.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Come on down to texas mr. Town and you'll start immediately!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

buddhanc posted:

Come on down to texas mr. Town and you'll start immediately!

Come on down to Michigan, Mr. Town, and you'll start immediately!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

computer parts posted:

Like I said in the predictions thread, if A&M gets at least 8 wins this season will exceed my expectations. I just don't know enough about my team (defense, QB although I'm a little more comfortable there) or the rest of the SEC-W (Bama excluded obviously).

I don't even want to make predictions. The last season I really felt good about a winning season was in 2011 when we let every goddamn lead slip away in the second half.

I'm mostly hoping to see defensive improvement this year, along with improved offensive play calling. Last year we could still score, but the way we ran our offense set us up for some very quick 3-and-outs, which did not help our defense one bit.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Looks like Ondre Pipkins made it through the transcript issues and is enrolled at TTU.

Even if he's just contributing a few snaps a game, it's still huge for the 2016 DL after Tech loses 7 DL this year.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee's open practice had 40,000 fans show up at Neyland.

Our running game and pass rush is gonna be nasty.

Remember the name Kyle Phillips, he's gonna bust out like Derrick Barnett did last year.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So that coach in Arkansas who never punts and always onside kicks has a new idea: rugby. In effect what happens is when he calls this out for a play the receivers will start lateraling the ball down the field on that play. The math behind this(he used math for doing the no punts/onside kick always stuff) is that the only bigger determining factor of a win in a game than TO margin is plays of 20+ yards.

It's pretty drat genius like most of his stuff. The sport is so insanely traditional that people who buck the tradition usually stumble upon really successful things. Properly done WR laterals can be highly successful plays and in the high school game where kids struggle with assignments and swarm tackling you're just asking for big chunks of yards to be gobbled up.

Here's the full article, good read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/08/13/the-highly-successful-high-school-coach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

So that coach in Arkansas who never punts and always onside kicks has a new idea: rugby. In effect what happens is when he calls this out for a play the receivers will start lateraling the ball down the field on that play. The math behind this(he used math for doing the no punts/onside kick always stuff) is that the only bigger determining factor of a win in a game than TO margin is plays of 20+ yards.

It's pretty drat genius like most of his stuff. The sport is so insanely traditional that people who buck the tradition usually stumble upon really successful things. Properly done WR laterals can be highly successful plays and in the high school game where kids struggle with assignments and swarm tackling you're just asking for big chunks of yards to be gobbled up.

Here's the full article, good read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/08/13/the-highly-successful-high-school-coach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/

Dude's playing video game football in real life and I love it. I hope some division II school gives him a job and he becomes the next Bob Stitt.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

There's definitely a divide of posters now that there wasn't when SAS was first formed. The majority of us back then were college-aged or just out(I was 20 when I made this account) and so yea, after over a decade we're all in our early to mid 30s and real life poo poo ends up taking over the rest. Then you've got a lot of other posters here who regged in the last 4-5 years who are college kids and whatnot. There's like an actual age gap now and there never was before really.

There's barely any of us left from the original vanguard that was exiled to a single thread per week in SAS before we got our own subforum, then got TWO threads a week.

I miss the old days when I could wake up at 10 and start watching Gameday and not do anything else for the next 14 hours except watch football. I used to be able to tell you the starting QBs for, like, everyone in the preseason top 25 and the Big Ten or everyone on Penn State's roster down to the reserve third string practice squad kicker. There's too many Other Things that come up on a Saturday now and I have other stuff I have to remember first that's taking up football knowledge space.

Shamefully reduced to watching Penn State and one of the night games, but not much else.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I'd post more but my program is loving trash and I don't care anymore

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ungratek posted:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ungratek posted:

me from 2002-2014

this is the first year I've actually been excited about the Vols in a while

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

Come on down to Michigan, Mr. Town, and you'll start immediately!

No! You stole gentry from us so we get first dibs. For real though, I'm fairly certain Charlie and co. will be really active in recruiting Town.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ungratek posted:

You guys get to start the cycle of hope again in just about 6 months or so. Probably.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ungratek posted:

Every program is trash.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Let me tell you about how Christian Hackenberg will win the Heisman and go first overall, then become the first person to win two Super Bowl rings in one year.

quote:

Christian Hackenberg might have the most potential in all of college football. He's even projected to go No. 1 overall in the 2016 NFL draft.

But you don't win hardware based on projections. You win on results -- and Hackenberg needs to greatly improve his numbers if he stands an chance at attending the Heisman ceremony.

Actual words someone was paid money* to write for ESPN.

* I assume.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm mostly hoping to see defensive improvement this year, along with improved offensive play calling. Last year we could still score, but the way we ran our offense set us up for some very quick 3-and-outs, which did not help our defense one bit.

Some folks talk about Spav like he's a wunderkind, but there were some head-scratching plays last year that left a lot to be desired.

Who knows how things will go with Chavis. Apparently we're threadbare at a few positions on defense.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don't even want to make predictions. The last season I really felt good about a winning season was in 2011 when we let every goddamn lead slip away in the second half.

I see you have Battered Aggie Syndrome as well.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

^^ Aggie will probably be pretty great with a competent DC, even though that may take a year or two to really set in though. The division is still a huge toss-up though, which could easily help or hinder them.

Also, as one of the "younger" generation guys (despite lurking more than posting), this is still my favorite football subforum just because of the actual intelligent non-rivals talk that permeates Literally Every Other Forum. It's also nice hearing from a diverse school mix and not just a team-specific echo chamber. My only wish was that I discovered this subforum sooner!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ungratek posted:

If my team loses to an FCS opponent in the opener for the third year in a row I'm adopting a midmajor, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Thoguh posted:

If my team loses to an FCS opponent in the opener for the third year in a row I'm adopting a midmajor, or something.

You are a good poster. Come cheer for Mississippi State. We are what your school would look like if it decided to give a poo poo about football in December, 2008.

• Locked thread