Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
So, against my better judgement I went ahead and updated after getting one of those "Please come back to us! :qq:" emails from Cryptic. And while it does feel nice to be shooting spacemans and spaceships again... There's been a lot of changes since I've last played, so I have some dumb questions:

What's my best bet for grinding Spec exp?
Are any of the current Foundry missions in the Spotlight worth doing for dil?
Anything new regarding dil farming in general?
Are Master Keys still the best way to convert dil into EC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FrostyJones posted:

Don't bother. [redacted for OPSEC]

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 7, 2015

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

hakimashou posted:

pastebin of xean's crazy meltdown and banning from TheTradingChannel

http://pastebin.com/wFSr1SUr

i literally popped a bowl of popcorn for this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Don't bother.

Now that spec points from episode releases are a continuous thing, it's so much better to just wait.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's an obnoxious grind with no easy solution and really should have been time gated kind of like rep, but it is what it is. At this point... yeah you only really "need" 45 spec points (30 in a primary, 15 in a secondary), and you get 10 of those from just leveling to 50. Between the freebie each week from the current FE (and to be fair to Cryptic, they've been pretty consistent about adding one every month now) and the trickle in from doffing or queues or whatever you're actually doing, you get get to that point pretty easily.

If you absolutely have to grind out a point or two in short order, do the borg or tholian alerts in sector space. Pop in, kill most of them, leave before the final group is killed so you don't get the 30m cooldown, and repeat. The boosted XP in those applies to spec XP, and it's a good way to rush through a ship mastery too.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
Doffing is still an option, though a slow one, to getting spec points. There are time gates on the Delta patrol missions, but you can still pick out several and do them in sequence for semi-decent gains. Doing those methods got me through with the spec trees, and then they decided to throw more at me, which are useless to me until they come out with another spec tree or give back the dil rewards for further ones.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Or you can not play for a couple of months and then get a mail with a ugly as sin T6 ship (Fed only of course because gently caress Klingons) and some free points.

Worked for me, can work for you. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how people are going nuts for these annorax science dreads, I can't wait to see how nuts they go for the inevitable slightly better replacement promo ship in a few months time.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

FrostyJones posted:

So, against my better judgement I went ahead and updated after getting one of those "Please come back to us! :qq:" emails from Cryptic. And while it does feel nice to be shooting spacemans and spaceships again... There's been a lot of changes since I've last played, so I have some dumb questions:

Are any of the current Foundry missions in the Spotlight worth doing for dil?
Anything new regarding dil farming in general?
Are Master Keys still the best way to convert dil into EC?

First question: The red alert popups in sector give a load of XP and you can instance hop to keep them going. Doffing is a good secondary still.

Second question: Still just that one with Barclay's daughter or whatever that you can run in 10 minutes or less.

Third question: Dyson ground zone, and when that gets boring, the space battlezone against Voth. The mini-missions given by small KDF base thing just forward of your ship when you beam up from the ground zone take all of 2 minutes and each give 480 dil (720 during dil weekends) with absolutely no cooldowns. There is a few other scattered NPC quest givers around the space zone as well. For contraband, same old doffing on KDF, or if you aren't terrible, you can also contra farm as a fed. This works by doing things like confiscate contraband, investigating contra trafficking, investigating illegal gambling, intercepting transmissions, or tracking fleet movements. All of the above give contra.

Fourth question: This depends on market rates, for example during promo events those can be a better investment. Check the exchange.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

So the codes for the T6 Galaxy and XP to level 60, in my experience, only work on the account that's linked to the email address with the code.

That's annoying.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

echatty;12679301 posted:

[quote="rush105;12679002"]IF I EVER BECOME A BILLIONARE IM GOING TO BUY CRIPTIC AND THEN FIRE EVERYONE THAT MADE MONEY OFF THE PLAYERS WITH LOW DROP RATES AND IF THEY WANNA KEEP THERE JOBS THEY HAVE TO GIVE ALL THE MONEY BACK TO THE PLAYERS AND NEVER DO IT AGAIN OR GET FIRED AND THEN I RELEASE ALL THE SHIPS IN THE GAME FREE!!! STAR TREK ONLINE STOLE EVERY BUCK FROM PLAYERS AND THATS WRONG SHAME ON U PEOPLE I WILL BE LOL ING WHEN THEY ARE FORCED OUT THE DOOR IF I EVER BECOME RICH THIS IS A PROMISE captain geko i will throw u out on your rear end for BETRAYING THE STAR TREK FANS TRUST U MONEY GRUBING STEALING LIEING PRICK!

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
I can't help but feel that someone might not have won an Annorax.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
"And I'm gonna remodel my house into the enterprise and everyone will have to call me captain irl and I'll have a holodeck full of real ice cream and girls will like me and my dad will stop calling me an embarrassment..."

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Considering how people are going nuts for these annorax science dreads, I can't wait to see how nuts they go for the inevitable slightly better replacement promo ship in a few months time.

When will the power have crept long enough that we have a 5/3 battle cruiser with 5 tac consoles and the JHSS boff seating? I just want that.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Mondian posted:

When will the power have crept long enough that we have a 5/3 battle cruiser with 5 tac consoles and the JHSS boff seating? I just want that.

The lockbox Krenim Warship is drat close to this already.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Except:

1. It's loving ugly
2. It doesn't have a second tac ltc slot

I demand perfection.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Mondian posted:

Except:

1. It's loving ugly

I demand perfection.

Maybe we should have included a list of demands with the cooler of ice cream. How else will we get your perfect ship?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Mondian posted:

Except:

1. It's loving ugly
Oh, come on, Babylon 5 was a pretty nice station.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Mondian posted:

Except:

1. It's loving ugly

I demand perfection.

Maybe next time you'll annoy Gecko some more until he gives in. Or you can challenge him to a duel, if he wins you'll stay away from conventions, if you win you get your ship.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lorak posted:

You mean Babel 13 right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHAPXlVq5lk

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Lorak posted:

This really shows the problem with all the crapass alien ships from Voyager that are being thrown in. Even when the game renders them with perfect accuracy it doesn't really matter because they're still ugly 90s CGI models that look comically out of place and have no aesthetic appeal.
:allears:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Time stamp? Star trek is bad enough without wading through an hour of it in a foreign language.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

captain geko i will throw u out on your rear end for

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

AotC posted:

Oh my you know just what to say to a goon. Now I know why everyone at STLV would say "Nbreeki is cool" when asked if they know of SFD.

Aw shucks, Oats. I'd like to think they meant it, but they're probably just RPers hoping for a reprieve.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Asimo posted:

This really shows the problem with all the crapass alien ships from Voyager that are being thrown in. Even when the game renders them with perfect accuracy it doesn't really matter because they're still ugly 90s CGI models that look comically out of place and have no aesthetic appeal.

And they're throwaway ships from throwaway aliens on a show about throwaway ideas. The Galor or the Bugship are cool not just because they're really good, but also because you're getting to fly a ship that is actually important to Star Trek.

AotC
May 16, 2010

DonDoodles posted:

Aw shucks, Oats. I'd like to think they meant it, but they're probably just RPers hoping for a reprieve.

No, seriously just ask Mondian. Everyone either ran away after hearing dental or talked about how you're cool. Congratulations, you're the new front of SFD.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

DonDoodles posted:

Nah, I spoke at length with the Priority One people. The guy that does Guard Frequency explained to me that you won over a lot of people when there was some big retarded shitstorm on Reddit and you posted there saying "This is dumb, its just a video game" or something to that effect. I don't know or recall the specifics really, because I don't follow STO drama across multiple venues but that's what I was told.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Time stamp? Star trek is bad enough without wading through an hour of it in a foreign language.

31:40, the copy/paste must have gone bad.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

Fitting, I guess, since Delta quadrant is supposed to be a poor lovely back water that the writers came up with when they thought (and amazingly made boring) the premise of bloods v crips in space.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
Harriet Tubman runs the Underspace Railroad for the Vaadwaur.

AotC
May 16, 2010

faxmachine posted:

Harriet Tubman runs the Underspace Railroad for the Vaadwaur.

It's becoming sentient. We must kill it quickly.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Fitting, I guess, since Delta quadrant is supposed to be a poor lovely back water that the writers came up with when they thought (and amazingly made boring) the premise of bloods v crips in space.

Still waiting for them to intro Kazon players so I can RP this poo poo!

Tupac didn't die, he traveled to the delta quadrant to bring enlightenment to some aliens!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3h92h5/the_results_of_opening_up_1000_delta_alliance/

This person opened 1000 gamble boxes and still didn't win a ship :toot:

I have no idea what 125k zen costs in you local currencies but I'm sure it remains "fuckloads too much" regardless.

Apparently he bought them all for EC because he seems to farm a series of alts in the game full time :psyduck:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

DancingShade posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3h92h5/the_results_of_opening_up_1000_delta_alliance/

This person opened 1000 gamble boxes and still didn't win a ship :toot:

I have no idea what 125k zen costs in you local currencies but I'm sure it remains "fuckloads too much" regardless.

Apparently he bought them all for EC because he seems to farm a series of alts in the game full time :psyduck:

1000 boxes would be 11 billion EC in theory. In practice you'd buy out all of the sanely priced boxes and have to stop and/or pay insane prices. Also 125k zen is $1250 USD.

The odds of opening that many boxes without getting a ship is about 1:24,000. The odds of that post not being a load of horseshit is 1:∞

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
And yet Star Citizen.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Christ Roberts will save us all, just you wait and see.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I have no idea what 125k zen costs in you local currencies but I'm sure it remains "fuckloads too much" regardless
1 zen ~ 1 cent, though you get a slightly better tradeoff if you get the bonus from buying in bulk. On the other hand, the doff packs are 250z, or 220z during the sale, so it's theoretically over $2200 worth of boxes. :toot: Or 10+ billion in credits off the exchange, probably closer to 13 or 14b. There's folks who do have that much to waste but it's still pretty dubious.

Lagomorphic posted:

1000 boxes would be 11 billion EC in theory. In practice you'd buy out all of the sanely priced boxes and have to stop and/or pay insane prices. Also 125k zen is $1250 USD.

The odds of opening that many boxes without getting a ship is about 1:24,000. The odds of that post not being a load of horseshit is 1:∞
Yeah, probably. The real question is whether the odds are the 1/125 they "should" be or whether Cryptic lowered them for this promotion since they're desperate. I honestly doubt Cryptic would gently caress this up, but they've surprised me with their ability to gently caress things up in the past so who ever knows. Most of the anecdotal data is mostly around the sheer rarity of the things, but that could be anywhere from inflation getting out of control (unlikely, it's been pretty predictable) to a sudden massive influx of demand (possible I guess with the CE event and the new fleet holdings, but pubs have been slavering all over this ship regardless) to the exchange moguls just buying any that do pop up on the exchange to resell on trading channels for free money (most likely).

EDIT: Yeah definitely bullshit. Documented test with twice the boxes shows the average results you'd expect for a 1/100-1/150 drop rate.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 17, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

1 zen ~ 1 cent, though you get a slightly better tradeoff if you get the bonus from buying in bulk. On the other hand, the doff packs are 250z, or 220z during the sale, so it's theoretically over $2200 worth of boxes. :toot: Or 10+ billion in credits off the exchange, probably closer to 13 or 14b. There's folks who do have that much to waste but it's still pretty dubious.

Yeah, probably. The real question is whether the odds are the 1/125 they "should" be or whether Cryptic lowered them for this promotion since they're desperate. I honestly doubt Cryptic would gently caress this up, but they've surprised me with their ability to gently caress things up in the past so who ever knows. Most of the anecdotal data is mostly around the sheer rarity of the things, but that could be anywhere from inflation getting out of control (unlikely, it's been pretty predictable) to a sudden massive influx of demand (possible I guess with the CE event and the new fleet holdings, but pubs have been slavering all over this ship regardless) to the exchange moguls just buying any that do pop up on the exchange to resell on trading channels for free money (most likely).

EDIT: Yeah definitely bullshit. Documented test with twice the boxes shows the average results you'd expect for a 1/100-1/150 drop rate.

Yeah that's more in line with what I would expect.

Not sure if the other guy was just statistically really unlucky or grabbing for attention.

Anyway, hooray for freemium gaming revenue streams right folks? :toot:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I can kiiind of forgive lockboxes. It's still gambling bullshit but everything can be resold on the exchange and the boxes themselves persist and aren't in short supply even months after they've stopped dropping if you really felt the urge to open them. The contents have improved a lot over the years too, overall.

Limited-time promo boxes like this are pretty much pure unadulterated abusive gambling bullshit to the point where it's on par with the worst of immoral mobile F2P game crap though. And it's pretty telling that there were all of three during the entire run of STO before the expansion (JHAS twice, Bulwark once) and we're already up to four (Sheshar, JHSS, command sheshar, time dildo) less than a year into Delta Rising with probably a fifth (pilot JHSS) in another month or two. You can almost taste the desperation for funds from gambling addicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
They also did the cellship freighter in the Rom doff boxes for quite a while.

• Locked thread