Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

osirisisdead posted:

You are clearly making the design assumption that there is always a core class ability to answer any challenge that adventurers may face as if D&D is a video game.

Would you be okay with a module where the dungeon has no entrance whatsoever and gaining knowledge of the fact that the dungeon is there at all requires a series of various skill checks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Maybe you could pay a sage to tell you about local features until he mentions the dungeon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

We exercised a lot of imagination trying to figure out how the centaur in the party (there was a centaur in the party, for reasons that are tragically not interesting enough to be a good story) navigated the various ladders and other fiddly dungeon-y bits. I would say that was sufficiently non-WoW-y enough to pass the Grog Litmus Test, but it was kind of the D&D equivalent of having a character get stuck in the geometry, so... maybe not?

The remainder of this thread will be centaur-based questions.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Could a centaur use the horse legs to climb a ladder? I think they could, barely, especially with their arms helping.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

theironjef posted:

Would you be okay with a module where the dungeon has no entrance whatsoever and gaining knowledge of the fact that the dungeon is there at all requires a series of various skill checks?

This is pretty much Tomb of Horrors as written.

Tomb of Horrors:

Start: The Party has arrived at the site of the demi-lich’s last haunt.
Before them is a low, flat topped hill, about 200 yards wide and
300 yards long. Only ugly weeds, thorns, and briers grow upon the
steep sides and bald top of the 6 0 high mound. There are black
rocks upon the top of the hill,and if these are viewed from a height
of about 200’ or so above the mound, it will be seen that the whole
is shaped like a human skull, with the piles of rock appearing as
eye holes, nose hole, and the jagged teeth of a grinning death’s
head. A thorough inspection and search of the entire area will
reveal only that the north side of the hill has a crumbling cliff of
sand and gravel about 20’ high in about the middle of the whole.
(This is the area 34 squares wide which forms the east-west axis of
your dungeon map.) A low stone ledge overhangs this eroded
area, and shrubs and bushes obscure it from observation at a
distance.

It will require a full turn for searching each IO’ of this cliff area.
Search must be done from a distance with a long spear or IO’
pole. Prodding must be high in order to collapse sufficient
material to expose a portion of a tunnel entrance. Once on
entrance is exposed, it will require about 1 hour for 6 characters
working in teams of 3 to thoroughly clear a passage, but a crawl
space can be opened in 1 turn by 3 characters digging with
swords and hands. Note that probing of the gravel and sand face
can begin wherever the players choose-east, west, middle,
several locations or merely a single one at a time. Leave this
strictly to the players to decide. The best manner to handle it is to
ask where they will search, once they have determined that they
will investigate the area and have stated how it will be done and
with what. Remember low probing, or probing with short
implements (daggers, swords, etc.) will not reveal anything.
As soon as any entrance is cleared and entered, go to the KEY.

Have to add the next line

Note: Characters who become astral or ethereal in the Tomb will
attract o type I-IV demon 1 in 6, with a check made each round.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 17, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

remusclaw posted:

This is pretty much Tomb of Horrors as written.

No no, I mean like they don't even know a dungeon should be there. Even in Tomb of Horrors they know they're hanging around near the lich's last digs.

Also it's weird that people are concerned about the centaur in the party. Griffons aren't even sentient. Ultimate little brother class there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Shadeoses posted:

Maybe you could pay a sage to tell you about local features until he mentions the dungeon.

If I'm not mistaken this is exactly how GURPS Fantasy can be used: the party starts in town and they can perform any number of skill checks to discover a new quest they need to do or map point they need to explore.

I always read it as "let the players tell you the kind of place they want to go to if they succeed, or you get to decide if they fail"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

theironjef posted:

No no, I mean like they don't even know a dungeon should be there. Even in Tomb of Horrors they know they're hanging around near the lich's last digs.

Also it's weird that people are concerned about the centaur in the party. Griffons aren't even sentient. Ultimate little brother class there.

Hey, it says they arrive, it doesn't say they know where.

Possible locale of the Tomb
I ) The highest hill on the Plains of Iuz
2) An island (unmapped) in the Nyr Dyv
3) In the Bright Desert
4) At the western border of the Duchy of Geoff
5) Somewhere in the Vast Swamp south of Sundi
6) On an island beyond the realm of the Sea Barons

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 17, 2015

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

JackMann posted:

Clearly the answer is that he was half circus pony. He was a centaur attraction.

This might get lost in the current derail so I just wanted to say that it is amazing okay thank you

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

osirisisdead posted:

It's a door, not a wall.

Or you can hack your way inside? :smugwizard:

Do you have brain issues?

It's a lame progress gate, you're not clever by saying "no come on everyone should have a battering ram to solve these clever tricks", the old joke of players going elaborate to get around problems is a funny joke because it's absurd not because it's good game design.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You could take it off its hinges, but I bet the hinges would be inside. Also, if a magically locked door can be so easily dealt with what's the loving point of the spell?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

theironjef posted:

Uh, 3.X Griffons are sentient. Relatively dumb, but sentient.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

You could take it off its hinges, but I bet the hinges would be inside. Also, if a magically locked door can be so easily dealt with what's the loving point of the spell?

So they have to knock the door down, making noise and waking you up so you can escape rather than picking it silently and shanking you in your sleep? :smugwizard:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There is no escape, that door is the only passage. Also it's a tomb, nobody is sleeping there.

Maybe you have a bit too much imagination.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nessus posted:

To be surmounted in some way by the players.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadeoses posted:

There is no escape, that door is the only passage. Also it's a tomb, nobody is sleeping there.

Maybe you have a bit too much imagination.

I'm the wizard that locked the door. :smugwizard:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

90 new posts in grogs.txt... oh. Osirisisdead making GBS threads up another loving thread, just like all the others he posts in.

:smith:

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

lol that you think there was any thought process behind that door other than "how much am I getting paid for this".

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

osirisisdead posted:

848 14620 152765 CombatII.rtf
752 13014 130200 CombatI.rtf

1005 16314 187014 SkillsII.rtf
979 16267 185154 SkillsI.rtf

really?

760 12973 146805 Traps.rtf

956 12093 210410 CarryingandExploration.rtf

What is this? Is like a grog flavoured numbers station.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I'm not mistaken rtf is "rich text file", so he's saying that because the Dungeons and Dragons rules (not sure if AD&D 2e or D&D 3rd Ed) that came out on CD in the late 90s/early 2000s have two entire documents dedicated to skills, one whole document dedicated to traps and another one dedicated to "carrying and exploration", that there's this whole world of non-combat D&D that's just waiting for your imagination.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I know a rtf is a rich text file, I was just commenting on the strings of numbers.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

bewilderment posted:

RPGnet is usually pretty light on grog and then I found this post, in a thread about advice for a new DnD player:

No! Never ever do this! Never do it! It is strictly wrong! You are doing it wrong :(

You're ruining it for everybody :(

Edit: THIS IS SERIOUS

Thankfully the next couple of posts, and then the spinoff thread made, mostly consisted of "You're kidding, right?"
[/quote]

I played DDO which I loved despite itself. One time the beholder boss shot a disintegration at my lv 10 favored soul and one shot me. Good thing I was playing a video game for idiot babies, a DM might have fudged that.

Also all this talk of that poo poo door reminds me of the quest to fix the heating in a 5 story shaft with a horizontal map, deadly steam vent jumping puzzles, and after an hour and a half maybe a few spell casts left for the boss.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I know a rtf is a rich text file, I was just commenting on the strings of numbers.

DOS file size in bytes, I think

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plague of Hats posted:

Don't have actual arguments in the grogs.txt thread you babies.

Jesus Christ, you babies! YOU BABIES!!!!!

Whatever.

quote:

So there's this one Female Elf NPC my group regularly interacts with and one of my PCs decided to hit on her incessantly. So I made him roll a diplomacy check every time he tried.

This went on for many sessions when I finally decided something should come of it. I basically said "okay, you've woo'ed her, and you're dating."

"That's it?"

"Yeah."

"That's boring! Lets do something with that whore table you found on reddit!"

(The "whore table" is this: The 12 Harlots of DnD)

"Okay, I guess we can use that, but <NPC> is not really a whore, so this is more of a 'sexual personality' check."

"I'm fine with it."

I roll a "sexual personality check." it comes up 80.

So at this point, I'm really winging it. An 80 on that table is "expensive doxy," so I fire back with:

"Alright, so <NPC> needs to be wined and dined. You gotta take her out and maybe you'll get lucky."

So one of the other PCs says "he has to roll for that!"

"You're right. If he rolls a 78-82, he gets it in. If he rolls a 19-21, he gets in a fight." I made those up going off his original roll of 80.

And then another PC asks "what about the stuff in the middle?"

At this point, I'm not really interested in explaining my PCs date in detail. But the other PCs are. So I say:

"You know what? It's up to you guys. Interpret his roll by it's distance from those two targets, and then make something up. I reserve the right to veto, but most anything goes!"

They thought that was a great idea and now whenever the original PCs wants to take time out of the game for this NPC girlfriend, the other PCs are involved!

So now, we have a set "how to date an NPC" ruleset:

1) Roll "flirt checks" which is just your diplomacy check against the NPCs sense motive check.

2) After you succeed multiple times, or you succeed by a wide margin, at the DMs discretion, you are now "dating" that NPC.

3) Roll the NPCs "sexual personality" using the Harlot table.

4) Determine the "bang zone" and the "fight zone" based on their personality (i.e. expensive doxy has a much smaller bang zone than wanton wench)

5) Roll a date check every time you go on a date, and "the committee" (i.e. all the other PCs) will determine the outcome.

I, personally, love this system because it makes the PCs interact with each other which gives me time to prepare the next encounter, or whatever. And it avoids the problem of taking time out of the session for one PC to do something completely self absorbed with the DM, because now it's a group process, and it gives the DM breathing room.

What dice mechanics/rules have your PCs come up with, that you implemented because it worked out well?

quote:

quote:

This is a great example of using homebrew rules to expand and tailor your game, and of engaging more than one player in a very specific aspect of the game. Good job.

That said, I have no idea why some groups are so interested in sex & dating in their RPGs. I just don't understand the appeal. Maybe someone could explain it?

Yeah, I thought it was weird too, but they like to flesh out every aspect of their character's lives. They have jobs, friends, girlfriends, etc...

Mostly it's just role playing taken to its logical extreme. We still mix a lot of combat in. Sometimes they mingle in interesting ways. For example, last night we were playing, and by the roll of the dice, one of the PCs had a new boyfriend and he happened to be attacked by a wild troll. So it added a nice sense of urgency to that encounter that wouldn't have been there without our dating rules.

quote:

drat. We just make appraise checks. DC 15. 2d4+1 is then rolled if you are sober. If you are drunk, (1d6-1d4)*1d10 is rolled. The value shows the guy or gal's scale on the 1-10 scale. If you fail the appraise check, we get to make poo poo up.

"So...that drunk rolling around in the mud? You think he's a 12."

Edit: got the actual formula from a friend.

quote:

This is pretty hilarious. The only problem is that there are no rules on earth which can simulate or predict the actions of a woman ;)

Women, amirite!?!!?!?!

quote:

I really like the idea of this, but I think it's a little too simple. Obviously any tabletop cannot perfectly simulate life, but there simply isn't enough complexity in this system to allow for an interesting relationship, in my opinion.

In my experience, relationships don't just happen all of a sudden after flirting. I suggest, instead of having the players simply get to date the woman by making enough skill checks, you keep the woman's (or man's) opinion of the player hidden. You can roleplay their love interest dropping hints, being disinterested, or just toying with the PC, depending on how the relationship is going. The player then has to decide when to make the move. It puts of a bit of risk into the system, because failure could damage their relationship with the NPC.

Also, having every date come down to one skill check seems kind of odd. It's way too easy to flub a roll and get in trouble. Let the player role play their date by having them come up with a date plan that the committee can mess with. The PC then has to use skill checks in specific circumstances. E.g. If the committee decides that the restaurant the player wanted to take their interest to is full up, then he might roll a diplomacy or intimidate check to get in. Succeeding at these kinds of tasks gives him a bonus, and failing hurts him. At the end of the night, the PC can decide to make a move (this time for sex). If the night has gone well, or the girl just really likes him, he might get lucky. If not, that's too bad, but it puts some risk and thought into the system.

Tldr: Have the system boil down to more than just a few skill checks. Require roleplaying and thought from your PCs, rather than just making them roll a bluff check to get laid. It sounds like you are going for a very light-hearted style with this system, but I think complicating it would make for more interesting situations.

We have to go deeper…

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
that's how those RPG sex books come about

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

quote:

Honestly, 5e is just as grid-based as any previous edition of DnD - it just hides it better.
All spells are still measured in 5 foot increments. Reach is measured in increments of five-feet, too.

Well yes. That was a specific design decision. Put distances in 5' increments, and you can play with 5' scale, 10' scale, or gridless. Put distance in squares, and you've made adjustment to anything other than that scale difficult. (Not impossible, just difficult.)

I remember when I played D&D 3.x, it would say poo poo like "moves 6 squares" and I would just go :psyduck:BUT HOW FAR IS THAT!?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I thought squares were always a 5' space anyway, in every edition that had them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

D&D 5th Edition PHB posted:

Rather than moving foot by foot, move square by square on the grid. This means you use your speed in 5-foot segments. This is particularly easy if you translate your speed into squares by dividing the speed by 5. For example, a speed of 30 feet translates into a speed of 6 squares.

drat I wonder if there's some grog out there that uses their warhams to play D&D and measures movement with tape measures.

spectralent posted:

I thought squares were always a 5' space anyway, in every edition that had them.

The big change was 3rd Edition moving to 5-foot squares, whereas every edition previous assumed 10-foot squares.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

For serious, didn't D&D3.x nearly always give you both measurements every time it came up? Like, every goddamn loving time it would be "30' (six squares)"? I vaguely recall this redundant waste of space infuriating me, and 4E's only saying "squares" after like one note at the beginning of the PHB about how each square was 5'x5' was one of the things I liked about it right off the bat.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

quote:

quote:

Would removing traits from characters in Eclipse Phase to cut down on clutter and book keeping work or could this break the system?

It would break the system pretty thoroughly. It will NOT cut down significantly on either clutter or bookkeeping.

EP is a complex game. If you don't like that, then it's just not for you, no matter how much you may like the idea of a sci-fi transhuman RPG.

That said, if you don't like complexity, why in the world are you interested in sci-fi transhuman RPGs based around conspiracy and ancient horror? That's like, a foot-thick smörgåstårta made of complexity.

Liked Altered Carbon? Want to roleplay in the world of Accelerando? Well, gently caress you if you don't want to play the worst parts of Shadowrun 4E stapled to Call of Cthulhu.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LatwPIAT posted:

Liked Altered Carbon? Want to roleplay in the world of Accelerando? Well, gently caress you if you don't want to play the worst parts of Shadowrun 4E stapled to Call of Cthulhu.

Boy, do those guys making that official Fate version of Eclipse Phase have egg on their face!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
For some reason this thing about turning everything into squares sounds to me like the most Grognards.txt-thing possible. Hexfields are crazy enough, but we used them to model large-scale combat, not the ins- and outs of movement for single people.

Of course, I'm already balking at the idea of roleplaying with miniatures, it just sounds so funny to me, so I'm probably from the most anti-D&D-but-still-RPG-friendly background possible. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Plague of Hats posted:

For serious, didn't D&D3.x nearly always give you both measurements every time it came up? Like, every goddamn loving time it would be "30' (six squares)"? I vaguely recall this redundant waste of space infuriating me, and 4E's only saying "squares" after like one note at the beginning of the PHB about how each square was 5'x5' was one of the things I liked about it right off the bat.

The major difference between 5/3.x Edition and 4th edition is that in 4e all area of effects are square in shape. Even "Cones" and "Spheres" are represented by a square of equal length on all sides. Where as in 5/3.x a fireball spell is represented as a circle of radius X with areas of fractional coverage across squares on the grid, and RAW line spells don't even really work in 5th edition due to the way that area of effects are drawn (A line spell is a drawn line with half a square of coverage on either side, all area of effects have to originate from a grid intersection, and a square isn't considered covered unless over half of it is within the spells' area of effect. So a line going straight won't hit anyone RAW)

That's probably the biggest QOL change for spellcasters that I really miss in 5th edition. It's much easier to tell if an Area 6 within 20 spell is going to hit your enemies and miss your allies by eyeballing it than it is to adjucate a 30ft radius fireball.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

The major difference between 5/3.x Edition and 4th edition is that in 4e all area of effects are square in shape. Even "Cones" and "Spheres" are represented by a square of equal length on all sides. Where as in 5/3.x a fireball spell is represented as a circle of radius X with areas of fractional coverage across squares on the grid, and RAW line spells don't even really work in 5th edition due to the way that area of effects are drawn (A line spell is a drawn line with half a square of coverage on either side, all area of effects have to originate from a grid intersection, and a square isn't considered covered unless over half of it is within the spells' area of effect. So a line going straight won't hit anyone RAW)

That's probably the biggest QOL change for spellcasters that I really miss in 5th edition. It's much easier to tell if an Area 6 within 20 spell is going to hit your enemies and miss your allies by eyeballing it than it is to adjucate a 30ft radius fireball.

Yeah, that was good, too. It also led to some amazing grog about ~pixelized cones and circles~ as if more than a handful of people ever really gave a poo poo about partial-coverage squaresfive-foot blocks in 3.x.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

SQUARES ARE CIRCLES. CIRCLES ARE SQUARES. NON-EUCLIDEAN MEASUREMENTS.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wizards and dragons can exist because in this world, pi = 4.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Mystra was also in charge of Euclidian mathematics, that's why they came back when she was ressurected.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plague of Hats posted:

Skimming the 3.5e PHB, sometimes the game says "5-foot squares" (this one quite often), sometimes it says just "squares", and other times it's:

quote:

Dwarves, gnomes, and halflings have a speed of 20 feet (4 squares), or 15 feet (3 squares) when wearing medium or heavy armor (except for dwarves, who move 20 feet in any armor).

Humans, elves, half-elves, and half-orcs have a speed of 30 feet (6 squares), or 20 feet (4 squares) in medium or heavy armor.

quote:

Reach Weapons: Most creatures of Medium or smaller size have a reach of only 5 feet. This means that they can make melee attacks only against creatures up to 5 feet (1 square) away.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

spectralent posted:

They're 2m in at least one of the d20 Star Wars games (a bit over six and a half feet), but if you're doing it metric...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

What about hexes? I mean it's been a while since I really dug into 4E rules, but would going from squares to hexes really affect balance in any meaningful way? They'd be a little less intuitive to parse, but if you're the sort of person who finds square 'circles' grating, I'd imagine that the switchover wouldn't be all that much additional work.

Plus 4E didn't require you to move in a straight line to Charge, so there goes the one big headache that using hexes in 3.x would entail.

• Locked thread