Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I am extreeeeemely flattered to be called inspiration because this costume is looking AWESOME. You could wear it as-is and blow people away IMO, good loving work!

So thinking of fire effects, here are the first things that come to mind right away--is the part where the flame would be clear, or can it be clear? What if you tinted the clear portion with glass tint in fiery colors so it would be still transparent but not totally see-through, and put in some of those flickering flame effect LED tealights in the back maybe? Super cheap and simple, and it would be a cool special effect. Or here is Yuks General with just paint on a super fiery WoW costume that I thought actually was very effective, I don't think the costume has any lights in it at all but it looks really convincing, just a lot of shading involved.

Real talk, I loving hate thigh armor, I have really never had great luck keeping it in place except letting it sit on the top of my knee. My least annoying thigh armor was for my last Warhammer 40k costume, and I basically had a garter strap on the outer sides of my thighs to hold it up on the belt. Here's a super ridiculous photo of me getting dressed where you can see it:

The 40k figures/art don't have straps there but there's so much going on that I figured another buckle wouldn't really be distracting at all and it did keep them in place pretty well. I'm super interested to try your rubber grip tape idea, I think most of my worbla thigh plates would be too heavy for velcro but some extra friction seems like it could really help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"work in progress"

"second costume ever"

YOU LOOK AMAZING.

That garter/thigh strap thingy is familiar to real world armor, too. If you can do something like that with your thigh armor, I'm sure it'll be more comfortable than trying to wrap it around your leg with elastic bands or buckles or something.

Tonight I made practice :goku: using some scrap fabric to test the pattern. I just thought I'd post content besides :words: for once.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

McPantserton posted:

I am extreeeeemely flattered to be called inspiration because this costume is looking AWESOME. You could wear it as-is and blow people away IMO, good loving work!

So thinking of fire effects, here are the first things that come to mind right away--is the part where the flame would be clear, or can it be clear? What if you tinted the clear portion with glass tint in fiery colors so it would be still transparent but not totally see-through, and put in some of those flickering flame effect LED tealights in the back maybe? Super cheap and simple, and it would be a cool special effect. Or here is Yuks General with just paint on a super fiery WoW costume that I thought actually was very effective, I don't think the costume has any lights in it at all but it looks really convincing, just a lot of shading involved.

Real talk, I loving hate thigh armor, I have really never had great luck keeping it in place except letting it sit on the top of my knee. My least annoying thigh armor was for my last Warhammer 40k costume, and I basically had a garter strap on the outer sides of my thighs to hold it up on the belt. Here's a super ridiculous photo of me getting dressed where you can see it:

The 40k figures/art don't have straps there but there's so much going on that I figured another buckle wouldn't really be distracting at all and it did keep them in place pretty well. I'm super interested to try your rubber grip tape idea, I think most of my worbla thigh plates would be too heavy for velcro but some extra friction seems like it could really help.

The figures don't have to move. :) Strapping to a belt (usually worn beneath the torso armor) like that is how real armor is worn. The alternative is wearing chausses, essentially padded pants that the armor can be laced to. They work very well but are hot as gently caress.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

SunSickOkra posted:

I have been working on a Tarecgosa costume based on this image and I'm looking for some creative input:

I've gotten pretty far along, but now most of what I have left to do is the stuff I don't know how to do. This is only my second costume, so I don't yet know all of the secrets (although McPanterson has been a great inspiration). My main obstacle is the shoulders. They are the WoW tier10 paladin shoulders, as seen here:

And I have no idea how to create a flame/molten effect without it looking completely dumb. They don't necessarily have to be billowing or moving or even actively lighting up, but I think it should be something more interesting than just paint.

This is what I've got so far, though it's still a work in progress:

Also, does anyone have a good solution to keeping thigh armor on? The leg strap is no match for gravity, regardless of how tight it's been pulled. I was thinking either velcro it to the leggings when I get them or attaching something like rubber grip-tape to the inside in hopes that it stays put.

Some kind of super cheap flicker module with L.E.D's would make some transparent fire look pretty amazing.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

SunSickOkra posted:

Also, does anyone have a good solution to keeping thigh armor on?
I ended up making a garter belt system for my stormtrooper thigh armor.
(when you add the word "system", it makes the sentence marginally less awkward for a 42 year old man to type.) :D

At any rate...I took some 1" wide black nylon web strap, like you'd find on a backpack, and fashioned a dead simple belt with a garter on each side. The quick-release snap clips that you usually find right along side the strap material make for easy wearing and excellent adjustability. Firefox is telling me that adjustability is not a word, so I added it to the dictionary out of spite. I used one clip as a belt buckle, and another clip on each side for the thigh pieces. As long as your armor isn't absolutely skin tight - and I guess it wouldn't be falling down if it were - you should be able to hide the clips right inside without irritating or digging into your skin. I never had any issues with discomfort in mine, even in that godforsaken rigid ABS monstrosity of a costume. OK, no *additional* discomfort. :v:

I wish I had some pictures to show you, but that poor troopy suit hasn't even been out of storage in like 8 years. I am a terrible costumer.

(edit)- I also seem to recall a fellow trooper using something like this stuff on his biceps and thigh pieces with pretty good results. I don't know if that's the exact product or not, but I'm pretty sure he said it was some sort of normally-pants-related thing.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 17, 2015

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012

Acid Reflux posted:

I ended up making a garter belt system for my stormtrooper thigh armor.

Yep I did the same, for both my stormtrooper and demon hunter armour. Just some simple straps looped over a belt that was hidden by the rest of the armour. Worked perfectly.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

SunSickOkra posted:

I have been working on a Tarecgosa costume based on this image and I'm looking for some creative input:

I've gotten pretty far along, but now most of what I have left to do is the stuff I don't know how to do. This is only my second costume, so I don't yet know all of the secrets (although McPanterson has been a great inspiration). My main obstacle is the shoulders. They are the WoW tier10 paladin shoulders, as seen here:

And I have no idea how to create a flame/molten effect without it looking completely dumb. They don't necessarily have to be billowing or moving or even actively lighting up, but I think it should be something more interesting than just paint.

Also, does anyone have a good solution to keeping thigh armor on? The leg strap is no match for gravity, regardless of how tight it's been pulled. I was thinking either velcro it to the leggings when I get them or attaching something like rubber grip-tape to the inside in hopes that it stays put.

Wish I could offer assistance (though you've gotten plenty!) but I just want to echo that this is looking great. Are you going to be at Blizzcon with it?

Edit: also could I share this on Twitter?

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 17, 2015

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SunSickOkra posted:

This is only my second costume

Do you have any shots of what your first costume was? Because that is a seriously impressive 2nd effort.

SunSickOkra
Jul 3, 2007
Gah, thank you everyone. All I can see when I look at it is what I should have done differently.

McPantserton posted:

Yes! I love this idea. Right now there is nothing where the flames should be, so I could fashion something out of PETG (which I have just learned about on the page prior). I love that fiery paint job but I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to paint and it would probably look ridic.

I know in my heart of hearts a garter belt "system" is the most logical and secure way to keep my thigh armor in place - I just don't want the strap to be visible, so I was hoping there was some solution I had missed. Every Alexstrasza/Sylvanas/Ysera cosplay I've seen (and I've looked through a lot) has found a way around having a visible strap. I'm glad to hear that someone has had success with rubber-pants-grips.

Transmogrifier posted:

Wish I could offer assistance (though you've gotten plenty!) but I just want to echo that this is looking great. Are you going to be at Blizzcon with it?

Edit: also could I share this on Twitter?

Unfortunately, I am on the wrong coast for Blizzcon. I'm flattered that you think it's worth sharing, so you can if you want.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Do you have any shots of what your first costume was? Because that is a seriously impressive 2nd effort.

It was this silly thing (ME2 Shepard's Blood Dragon Armor a la EVA foam):

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

SunSickOkra posted:

Unfortunately, I am on the wrong coast for Blizzcon. I'm flattered that you think it's worth sharing, so you can if you want.

It was this silly thing (ME2 Shepard's Blood Dragon Armor a la EVA foam):

That's a shame! I would have loved to have gotten pictures up close at Blizzcon.

Also I am seriously considering a Shepard cosplay at a later point too. I just finished the series for the first time ever (I'm bad, I know) and completely love the character. Really awesome job with that! I want to do the Cerberus shock troop armor set. :3:

Edit: Lot of folks love it and a few are wondering where you're going to wear it.

Transmogrifier fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 18, 2015

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Started working on gear for my first Wasteland Weekend. Put together a rough frame for a "ronin-gasa" made from scrap wire and (eventually) plastic. I.E. crap you'd find after the apocalypse. First time making something like this and this is the 5th or so pass at it (Not Pictured: pile of twisted wires from failure.) The paper cone was to give me a shape to aim for and the outer rim is a 30" wreath frame from Michaels.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SunSickOkra posted:

The best method to keep something on your thigh is to anchor it to a belt. Gravity's influence is subtle and tireless :ninja:

Also, unless something is literally stuck onto you it will twist around your thigh with walking no matter how much you tighten its straps and no matter how grippy the back is. A good anchor to a belt is what keeps something on your thigh from rotating around your thigh.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 19, 2015

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

So I'm going to attempt to make my first Cosplay outfit from scratch.

I want to do Henchmen number 24 from The Venture Bros, mainly because I can do his voice spot on.

I've been looking up random clothes and materials to combine etc but I'm having issues with the wings. I wanted to do it with 2 layers of foam and wiring but can only find small bits, not a large roll.

Has anyone here made a Henchmen outfit? Would love some tips and/or photos oh the creation process?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I want to tackle another comic villain for Halloween.

Been hunting for a good skull make/face-plate. Amazon has a lot of paintball/airsoft masks that might work after some painting, etc.

Any tips on how to tackle the body suit? I'm no fatty (6'2"/210 lbs.), but I ain't GI JOE either, so I'll need to finesse things to capture that comic book physique look.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's always the option of this variant.

Think it's called the udon?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Gettin' closer to a workable setup for my Immortan Joe costume. It's not screen-accurate, but I was using roman muscle armor to form PETG this afternoon and I think I've got a technique down well enough that I can do his ridiculously difficult transparent armor now.

SHINY AND CHROME TRANSPARENT.

Very hard to photograph, too. I'm going to be molding a second piece of abdominal muscle so I can rivet the chestpiece together from two pieces like the movie version is done up.

My mold for the mask is done, too!

Might try doing a cold cast version just to see if I can get that working. For now, I'm just so happy I got the PETG sheets to behave - that transparent worbla stuff was not going to cut it. Too soft, too much like vinyl. The plastic I'm using now is .060" thick and could probably survive being hit with a bat, which is pretty cool in my book.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Harvey Baldman posted:

Gettin' closer to a workable setup for my Immortan Joe costume. It's not screen-accurate, but I was using roman muscle armor to form PETG this afternoon and I think I've got a technique down well enough that I can do his ridiculously difficult transparent armor now.

SHINY AND CHROME TRANSPARENT.

Very hard to photograph, too. I'm going to be molding a second piece of abdominal muscle so I can rivet the chestpiece together from two pieces like the movie version is done up.

My mold for the mask is done, too!

Might try doing a cold cast version just to see if I can get that working. For now, I'm just so happy I got the PETG sheets to behave - that transparent worbla stuff was not going to cut it. Too soft, too much like vinyl. The plastic I'm using now is .060" thick and could probably survive being hit with a bat, which is pretty cool in my book.

This is looking super awesome, killer work dude!

I've been pretty pokey with cosplay after finishing Arthas's armor but I've started on Frostmourne, getting the materials together and I cut the blade out on a day when I was fortunate enough to get a random day off of work thanks to my car taking a poo poo and dying. :gonk: Once that's done I think I shall continue my Blizzard cosplay collection with one from my favorite Blizz property, haven't been able to get the idea of a Diablo 3 wizard costume out of my mind. I had a dream that I was getting materials together for my wizard but they were all cooking supplies like coconut milk and curry paste, wtf?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

McPantserton posted:

This is looking super awesome, killer work dude!

I've been pretty pokey with cosplay after finishing Arthas's armor but I've started on Frostmourne, getting the materials together and I cut the blade out on a day when I was fortunate enough to get a random day off of work thanks to my car taking a poo poo and dying. :gonk: Once that's done I think I shall continue my Blizzard cosplay collection with one from my favorite Blizz property, haven't been able to get the idea of a Diablo 3 wizard costume out of my mind. I had a dream that I was getting materials together for my wizard but they were all cooking supplies like coconut milk and curry paste, wtf?

Hey, wizards gotta eat. And curry is delicious!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

ExplodingSquid posted:

I want to do Henchmen number 24 from The Venture Bros, mainly because I can do his voice spot on.

I've been looking up random clothes and materials to combine etc but I'm having issues with the wings. I wanted to do it with 2 layers of foam and wiring but can only find small bits, not a large roll.

Has anyone here made a Henchmen outfit? Would love some tips and/or photos oh the creation process?

I have made a Henchman 24 outfit because I too can do the voice spot on as well. Be warned that an entire weekend of doing the voice is pretty rough on the throat. I suggest making sure you drink lots of fluids. I also keep removing clothing from the costume and nobody seems to care that it's not spot on as long as you have the goggles, wings, and voice.

I've made the wings 3 different times and each time I used cardboard that I then painted. I'm looking for a better solution but you can get some pretty inconvenient wings made from bike boxes. Just go to a bike store and ask for a bike box, and they might want to charge you $5 for the box or if they're nice they might give it to you for free.

The wings did not survive my last move so if you do find a plastic solution (foam seems like a bad idea) please inform this thread of such?

Said results of the costume:

Maxwells Demon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 22, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSquid posted:

Hit Lowe's or Home Depot. Big sheets of insulation foam (blue or pink) should work for you. It's about 1/2" thick as well.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Awesome thanks for the tips people. I'll have to see how it goes with doing the voice for a whole day. Haha. I've got a month to make it so I'll post my progress as I go.

*Oh come on! This is Laaame!* (24 voice)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Tamir Lenk posted:

I want to tackle another comic villain for Halloween.

Been hunting for a good skull make/face-plate. Amazon has a lot of paintball/airsoft masks that might work after some painting, etc.

Any tips on how to tackle the body suit? I'm no fatty (6'2"/210 lbs.), but I ain't GI JOE either, so I'll need to finesse things to capture that comic book physique look.

Taskmaster is my favorite villain/hero/amnesiac. I'd love to see how yours turns out.

Your body holds no secrets from me!

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
This isn't cosplay, but I am very very excited about this mask I made. I just have to run electrical tape over the areas I want to black out.

https://youtu.be/ZK3fdrCV7i8

I'm working on the suit now, and I've got the wireless switches all soldered and ready to go

I can't wait until October

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
There's a woman on the replica props forum starting to put together a prosthetic of Furiosa's arm for a second woman, a below the elbow left arm amputee who wrote about the movie on a viral blog post: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245288

Looks like she's doing it with 3D printing and just started very recently. Should be fun to keep an eye on!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I need to spend more time in this thread, but it is nice catching up on months of posts to see the awesome work. Love the Lich King costume, I was even more blown away by that pic of the C2E2 Winner.

So, my girlfriend and I hit Chicago ComicCon, which is our second one together, and only my third one period. Honestly, the difference between St.Louis and Chicago was very minor in the ways we really cared, but the event did go along way in reigniting our interest in breaking into cosplay. Anyway, we have been together for a year now, and after some discussion we decided that we would like to aim for GenCon of Fy16 since we felt it would be more in our interest area. We even attended a Cosplay 101 panel where the guys and gals there convinced us to jump headlong into whatever pie in the sky dream we would like to hit, and with that being said we kind of finally decided what we would like to do.

I stand at 5.9 170 lbs and she is around 5.7 at 135 lbs. and with that in mind we chose the following.
Lord Commissar Yarrick - Hero of Armageddon(for me)

and Ganondorf from The Twilight Princess(for her)

Now obviously I am purely at the planning stage, but I've already made efforts to try and enlist family support through my mother, stepfather, and sister who between them have sewing experience and enough tools to build nearly anything. In fact, my stepfather is a huge DIYer and thus has almost every tool one would expect a carpenter to own. We decided on these characters partially due to interest, but also because we kind of figured the techniques that go into making them would be rather similar. At first I had delusions of grandeur to go full Space Marine Power Armor, but decided Yarrick was a sufficiently well known 40k character who had enough extra stuff above the average Commissar to make the project more than a scavenger hunt for Waffen-SS style uniform items.

At the moment I am looking to watch/read anything that will get me started since I fully expect to be doing a majority of the initial work due to her career requirements. Once I feel confident enough to purchase my starting materials I feel the best starting place would be Yarrick's Storm Bolter, which I can hopefully perform by following the methods outlined in this video, and by drafting my own bullprints based off the many illustrations one can find on sites like Lexicanum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZflBVTbHw

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Uroboros posted:

I need to spend more time in this thread, but it is nice catching up on months of posts to see the awesome work. Love the Lich King costume, I was even more blown away by that pic of the C2E2 Winner.

Yayyy, I appreciate it. I am having a legit terrible day, apparently my (fortunately old and totally trashed) car got stolen off the repair place lot because they left my keys in the ignition and didn't tell me! So the kind words are super welcome, ugh. Do you happen to remember who did the Cosplay 101 panel at GenCon? I'm 99% sure it was probably friends of mine either from Mogchelle Cosplay or Cosawesome Studios, awesome people.

So while my car was being stolen I was at a convention and I finally got to do some better Arthas photos, here's the first one I got back:

My friend the photog had me hold his flash inside the helmet! Super cool effect and totally not photoshopped.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
There were 3 ladies and 2 guys. The guys flagged me down after the panel to tell me to getem on Facebook and to sign up on RPF to get advice. This panel was at ComicCon Chicago not GenCon, but we want to do GenCon next year because we figured it was more what we would be interested in. We are avid geeks but not Comic readers/collectors so the primary focus of ComicCon is lost on us.

The two guys were advertised on the events list: Robin Johnson Jr. and Eric "The Smoke" Moran, seemed really swell. They really got me excited about it, still intimidated but all the new skills I'll need to learn, but with other people involved this might have hope of being ready come next GenCon.

That helmet effect is awesome, Arthas was always my favorite character next to Thrall until his original voice actor quit, but it didn't make killing him on Heroic any less exciting. Ah memories.

Going back to the top of the page? What is that sick orange tinted armor with the massive maul from? That looks great. Also, minor geek alert, the reason the battle sisters models have no straps is because their armor is supposed to be fully enclosing and powered. It is essentially a form fitting lady version of what the Space Marines wear, hence no straps or obvious ways for the stuff to attach to the body.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 25, 2015

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

One costume I've always wanted to try : The Abhorsen.

The problem is the bells. They wear a bandolier with 7 different magical bells, and they are crucial to the character.

I cannot find any sort of matching set of 7 differently sized bells. Even looking at high end orchestral suppliers, the only luck is buying them individually at outrageous prices. No sets. I also can't figure out how to make them, since they're different sizes. For molds, I'd have to make 7 matching molds, but out of what? Slush casting with resin?

I do metalwork, so I'm even willing to try casting them, but I wouldn't know what technique to use. Lost wax, perhaps, but then I'm back to making 7 identical but differently scaled molds. It would be nice if they worked, or at least looked realistic, so I don't want to make a bandolier that has empty pouches holding handles. Any suggestions?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Can you 3d print in wax? I feel like shapeways does it, would save you a lot of time for lost wax sculpting.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

It pays to have friends who are willing to help advance the agenda of DOOM. A friend has a 3D printer and was able to sketch up a nice pair of medallions (these are about 12cm in diameter)

Here's a test one with a bit of gold on it to bring out the details:

Next up with be sanding the raised bits and filling the print lines in the recesses. I'm leaning towards filler primer, but does anyone have any better experiences with other stuff? Another friend was able to put together the tunic and cloak with the fabric I provided. Here's a pic of me testing it out with my completed mask and makeshift belts :toot:

Now I just need to figure out how to attach the medallions and chain to the outfit without it weighing down the front. I found a replacement purse chain that's perfect and has clasps built into it already.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Commissar Canuck posted:

It pays to have friends who are willing to help advance the agenda of DOOM. A friend has a 3D printer and was able to sketch up a nice pair of medallions (these are about 12cm in diameter)

Here's a test one with a bit of gold on it to bring out the details:

Next up with be sanding the raised bits and filling the print lines in the recesses. I'm leaning towards filler primer, but does anyone have any better experiences with other stuff? Another friend was able to put together the tunic and cloak with the fabric I provided. Here's a pic of me testing it out with my completed mask and makeshift belts :toot:

Now I just need to figure out how to attach the medallions and chain to the outfit without it weighing down the front. I found a replacement purse chain that's perfect and has clasps built into it already.

I used snaps on the tunic, mating them to the medallions and cloak. The male potion of the snap screws into the back of the medallion through the cloak, so I can snap the cloak and medallions to the tunic.

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!

This is a costume I have wanted to do ever since reading those books. I've seen a few decent attempts at it around the internet, but nothing that looked even remotely doable for me. All the problems with getting seven different sized matching bells, making a nice leather bandolier for them seems pretty tough too.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I had no idea that real handbells were so expensive. Wow.

I feel like there are a couple options here, depending strongly on how much you want the bells to be usable. If you want them all to be bells that you can pull out and ring, well, I don't know there is a really good option - besides maybe picking a fairly standard shape and just shopping around for a variety of sizes that you can refit with similar handles to make them appear more like a set.

If you are ok with show bells that don't ring (and after all, you should not be ringing those bells casually!) then there are a couple choices. One is to find/make a 3D model of a bell you like, and resize it to make the full set. If you print through shapeways you can do this in a number of materials, including metal. I don't think the metal print would ring properly, but it might be nicer than a printed and painted plastic. If you have access, you could even buy one real handbell you like, use a scanner to make the 3D model, and print smaller versions - then you would have a real 'ringing' bell and the others would be props.

Another option is to find something involving bells you can butcher. This is the sort of thing I am thinking of, although that isn't the right look for the Abhorsen's bells. But you might be able to find some sort of thing that has a bunch of bells you can tear off and fit handles to that would work.

It occurs to me that the basic shape of a bell is also shared by some bowls, cups, and pots, so you might think about looking around for sized sets of those and hacking them into bells. Again, they wouldn't ring well, but may work visually.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

demoneyespaul posted:

This is a costume I have wanted to do ever since reading those books. I've seen a few decent attempts at it around the internet, but nothing that looked even remotely doable for me. All the problems with getting seven different sized matching bells, making a nice leather bandolier for them seems pretty tough too.

The bandolier isn't an issue; I do leatherwork already. If this project turns out, I may even sell sets on my etsy store.

Ashcans posted:

I had no idea that real handbells were so expensive. Wow.

I feel like there are a couple options here, depending strongly on how much you want the bells to be usable. If you want them all to be bells that you can pull out and ring, well, I don't know there is a really good option - besides maybe picking a fairly standard shape and just shopping around for a variety of sizes that you can refit with similar handles to make them appear more like a set.

If you are ok with show bells that don't ring (and after all, you should not be ringing those bells casually!) then there are a couple choices. One is to find/make a 3D model of a bell you like, and resize it to make the full set. If you print through shapeways you can do this in a number of materials, including metal. I don't think the metal print would ring properly, but it might be nicer than a printed and painted plastic. If you have access, you could even buy one real handbell you like, use a scanner to make the 3D model, and print smaller versions - then you would have a real 'ringing' bell and the others would be props.

Another option is to find something involving bells you can butcher. This is the sort of thing I am thinking of, although that isn't the right look for the Abhorsen's bells. But you might be able to find some sort of thing that has a bunch of bells you can tear off and fit handles to that would work.

It occurs to me that the basic shape of a bell is also shared by some bowls, cups, and pots, so you might think about looking around for sized sets of those and hacking them into bells. Again, they wouldn't ring well, but may work visually.

Yeah, bells are expensive. I was surprised, too. I don't mind spending money on this hobby, but I was looking at a few hundred dollars for mismatched bells. No thanks.

I wonder how much of the sound is due to the shape vs the materials. I hadn't considered shapeways (Thanks McPantserton), and a friend of mine is a wizard with 3d modeling software, so that is an option. I could print them in metal or try casting them. It would be nice if they sounded good, so I wonder what material to use. I'd like to try silver, but at $225 a pound they would be expensive.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Pagan posted:

The bandolier isn't an issue; I do leatherwork already. If this project turns out, I may even sell sets on my etsy store.

Yeah, bells are expensive. I was surprised, too. I don't mind spending money on this hobby, but I was looking at a few hundred dollars for mismatched bells. No thanks.

I wonder how much of the sound is due to the shape vs the materials. I hadn't considered shapeways (Thanks McPantserton), and a friend of mine is a wizard with 3d modeling software, so that is an option. I could print them in metal or try casting them. It would be nice if they sounded good, so I wonder what material to use. I'd like to try silver, but at $225 a pound they would be expensive.

Brass? It's a hell of a lot cheaper than silver and it's another traditional bell metal.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bells, bells, bells. I remember being part of my church's bell choir for awhile.

You could try reaching out to a craftsman who can do wooden bells, or maybe you can get seven different-sized cups and use them as the bases for some molds.

There are also wind chimes like this that might be useful.

This listing looks kind of nice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Set-16-Pcs-Brass-Bells-Graduated-Reducing-Size-3-5-1-Ht-Vtg-Indian-Craft-/321819279492?hash=item4aedec8084 Or this, though both of these are on the smaller side.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/242035315/salvaged-vintage-brass-graduated-camel?ref=market Here's another wind chime kinda thing; there are only 6 bells, but making a seventh may not be difficult.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 27, 2015

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I had a quick question. I'm putting together a cyclops costume, but one with glasses and not the visor. I wear prescription glasses and I was wondering what would be the best way to temporarily tint them red. I as thinking cello paper but feel it'd wrinkle a lot and not look good or cut out those shapes from those thicker transparent sheets used for reading tests/kids with dyslexia. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Every time I google cyclops glasses I just get hits for making the visor or buying wrap around sunglasses like in the movie.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Blendy posted:

I had a quick question. I'm putting together a cyclops costume, but one with glasses and not the visor. I wear prescription glasses and I was wondering what would be the best way to temporarily tint them red. I as thinking cello paper but feel it'd wrinkle a lot and not look good or cut out those shapes from those thicker transparent sheets used for reading tests/kids with dyslexia. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Every time I google cyclops glasses I just get hits for making the visor or buying wrap around sunglasses like in the movie.

Theater gels maybe?
http://www.stagelightingstore.com/Stage-Lighting-Store/Theatrical-Gel-Sheets-Reds-Pinks

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
You might be able to order a pair of cheap prescription glasses with red/pink lenses off a site like 39dollarglasses.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I'll look into both of these options thanks!