Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

im the claim that people would be going crazy and leaving, so it cant be true, which is what the original article states happens

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
there are clearly documented issues like the absurdly limited bathrooms that's easily and externally verifiable, if one would bother

it's been an open secret that amazon is a terrible place to work for years and years

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I guess Bezos is making the claim that he didn't read or was never made aware of any of the many, many gawker stories about amazon work culture.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
here's some manager's incredibly long response to that Amazon article:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/amazonians-response-inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-nick-ciubotariu

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

"Yes. Amazon is, without question, the most innovative technology company in the world. The hardest problems in technology, bar none, are solved at Amazon. This is why I'm here."

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

refleks posted:

"Yes. Amazon is, without question, the most innovative technology company in the world. The hardest problems in technology, bar none, are solved at Amazon. This is why I'm here."

oh god i'm dying

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
http://aeon.co/magazine/technology/how-yuppies-hacked-the-original-hacker-ethos/

The hacker ethos is wild and anarchic, indifferent to the trappings of success. Or it was, until the gentrifiers moved in

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd consider trying to sell the fire phone one of the most challenging problems in technology

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

loving hell, hes a manager for managers. hes the problem the original article is talking about.
"What, why is it so bad to just let them eat cake. I LOVE IT" - Some french bitch

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

I'd consider trying to sell the fire phone one of the most challenging problems in technology

too bad they never solved that one lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

I would have written it regardless of whether PR would have approved or not, because the NYT article is so blatantly incorrect, and additionally, purposefully designed to make past data reflect current reality at a company that has done quite a bit to change its ways and continues to work hard to do so.

:crossarms:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

I actually work here, and can give you a data-driven perspective of what life at Amazon is really like, today. I’m not an anonymous source, and I’m not something a journalist made up to generate clicks. I am putting my name and reputation behind everything I write, and willing to stand by my words 100%.
I’ve been at Amazon since March 24, 2014, which means I have 18 months of data to draw from – recent, on-the-ground experience. I have worked in two of our biggest product groups: Marketplace and currently, Search and Discovery, which means my experience covers a good swath of the Amazon populous.

wow, at amazon the singular of anecdote is data

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

refleks posted:

"In particular, we were trying to work out how much money we could burn for no good reason, and how quickly we could do so. It turns out that the best we can do is a quarter of a billion a year, but watch this space."

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

hobbesmaster posted:

wow, at amazon the singular of anecdote is data

data-driven perspective mods please

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

qirex posted:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

read a defense of soylent being full of lead and cadmium today

part of the argument was that people would have to consume nothing but soylent for the metals to be a problem, and who eats the same thing all the time, honestly?!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Chris Knight posted:

http://aeon.co/magazine/technology/how-yuppies-hacked-the-original-hacker-ethos/

The hacker ethos is wild and anarchic, indifferent to the trappings of success. Or it was, until the gentrifiers moved in

I skimmed this article, it was poo poo, confusing "autistics with beagle boards" and "website defacing" as hackers throughout. Just mixes and mashes them with abandon, like the author has no idea what the difference is. "Hey they're both hackers right?".

Also, I like this idea that gentrifyers are the new hipsters. I wanna see that middle manager from amazon (who wrote that article ) go on tor and see some crazy poo poo on the underbelly of the internet.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/amazon-chief-says-employees-lacking-empathy-will-be-instantly-purged

The New Yorker posted:

SEATTLE (The Borowitz Report)—Saying that he was “horrified” by a New York Times article recounting callous behavior on the part of Amazon executives, company founder Jeff Bezos warned today that any employees found lacking in empathy would be instantly purged.

In an e-mail to all Amazon employees issued late Sunday evening, Bezos said that the company would begin grading its workers on empathy, and that the ten per cent found to be least empathic would be “immediately culled from the herd.”

To achieve this goal, Amazon said that it would introduce a new internal reporting system called EmpathyTrack, which will enable employees to secretly report on their colleagues’ lack of humanity.

The system will allow Amazon employees to grade their co-workers on a scale from a hundred (nicest) to zero (pure evil), resulting in empathy-based data that will be transmitted directly to Bezos.

Then, through a new program called Next Day Purging, any employee found lacking in empathy will be removed from the company within twenty-four hours of Bezos’s termination order.

“We can’t be the greatest retailer in the world unless we are also the kindest,” Bezos wrote in his e-mail. “So my message to all Amazonians is loud and clear: be kind or taste my wrath. Love, Jeff.”

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/at-amazon-employees-treat-the-bathroom-as-an-extension-of-the-office

quote:

I regularly saw people bring their laptops into the bathroom, where they would sit on the toilet and write code. (I’ve never seen anyone clean their laptop after leaving the bathroom.) Engineers would talk to each other through stalls. On many occasions, I heard people take phone calls while mid-business. It was hard to tell if someone was groaning because it was difficult to code or difficult to poop. Another Amazon colleague once joked that this gave new meaning to the word “deploy.”

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

had to go back to check that the url wasn't the onion

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the borowitz report is the new yorker's unfunny version of the onion

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yeah the borowitz report is usually loving awful but this one's ok

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
missed the /humor/ there in the url woopsy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FMguru posted:

gawker has actually had really good coverage of amazons awfulness for the last year or two

its impressive how badly they treat everyone, from the temp agency unfortunates who work in their warehouses all the way up to the engineers and managers who work in their corporate headquarters. its a culture of unrelenting abuse and extracting 110% from every worker before they burn out and are discarded

welcome to the future of american employment

yep sounds like retail

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The trouble with articles about lovely company culture is that no one with two neurons to string together will go on record to say that Amazon essentially made her work too hard. The ubiquitous breed of middle manager who buys glossy books on "leadership" with smiling men in suits on the cover, the breed who aspires to be Jumpin' Jeff Bezos, Self-Made Billionaire, will see her complaint and write her off as a whiner.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

quote:

"The hardest problems in technology, bar none, are solved at Amazon."

~invents a toilet-paper-ordering button~

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

uninterrupted posted:

~invents a toilet-paper-ordering button~

do they even have one for ordering asspaper

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i wipe my rear end with razor blades, don't you?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

do they even have one for ordering asspaper

do they hav one for ordering jpg artifacts

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qirex posted:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
man look at all these leading brands

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Phoenixan posted:

now you have a physical means by which to engage with them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

mmmm, brands :yum:

I don't get why they don't sell more bulk stuff at amazon like why isn't cereal sold in 5 lb multipacks, feels kind of dumb to mail order one box of kashi

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

ive seen this in a totally unremarkable office complex. guys talking business on the shitter in between fart noises, or texting with one hand while pissing at the urinal with the other. the worst was some guy making noises that i thought were many tiny poops splashing into the water; i finally realized they were too consistent to be from him, it must've been the sound effect from some candy crush bullshit that he didn't even bother muting on the john

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

"You are recruited every day by other world-class companies, and you can work anywhere you want."

Translation: get the gently caress out, whiners.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

now you have a physical means by which to engage with them.

i loving love engaging w/ my favorite brands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

qirex posted:

mmmm, brands :yum:

I don't get why they don't sell more bulk stuff at amazon like why isn't cereal sold in 5 lb multipacks, feels kind of dumb to mail order one box of kashi

less mark up that way

• Locked thread