Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Were they ever more popular than they are now? Though if he started doing stuff like that, an overview of the Punk Goes... series would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rebochan posted:

Speaking of Todd, new Cinemadonna for however long Blip is still online:

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-dangerous-game-7207920
Clearly Madonna never knew what the hell she was doing when it came to choosing film roles. What a bizarre choice.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FlamingLiberal posted:

Clearly Madonna never knew what the hell she was doing when it came to choosing film roles. What a bizarre choice.

Working with a controversial director with a strong critical following isn't THAT weird of a choice for a pop star known for transgressive sexuality and stage shows. It kind of fits perfectly, honestly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also, because she is a musician she knows nothing about either the business of selecting a role or how to actually act.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not into Power Rangers but since I know people here are, I thought I'd share this new retrospective that's started today. It's by Chris Sims at ComicsAlliance - it isn't a video series, it's written. Not sure if it'll have the same tone as his X-Men reviews; as I say, I'm not into the whole tokusatsu thing so I don't know enough about it to comment.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

Also, because she is a musician she knows nothing about either the business of selecting a role or how to actually act.

Harvey Keitel is obviously also someone who has no idea how to select a role, due to being a pop star.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

He might as well review getting stabbed in the ears.

I'm kind of amazed some internet denizen hasn't done this at some point.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Harvey Keitel is obviously also someone who has no idea how to select a role, due to being a pop star.

I thought Harvey Keitel was one of those people who has no idea how to select a role due to never saying no.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Jesus christ, people on SA, and only on SA, are completely incapable of understanding when I'm being sarcastic, and it's the weirdest thing.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uloT8V6Skgk

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Darth Walrus posted:

Someone has reviewed stabbing other people so we're getting close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6UE-nvNUuo

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
I wonder what the ContentID Is loving Awful scoreboard is today:

{quick check}

- Brad Jones had a video claimed & taken down. The video? A Midnight Screening of THE MAN FROM UNCLE. Contains no footage, music, clips, lyrics or copyrighted material of any kind. Zero revenue, no appeal, banned from uploading for up to 10 days.

- Hagan: Had several videos claimed. Including one where the flagged portions where her on screen, talking. No music, no clips. Copyright claim on her own likeness. Can't drudge up the tweet, but the entire process is, and I quote/paraphrase depending on how good my memory is... "soul-crushing".

- Lupa: For a while, her channel was stuck in limbo for Reasons Because Google That's Why. Not sure how that eventually resolved.

And Screenwave, while it does seem to be an ok alternative, has some fairly restrictive limits on uploading. Works out to only being able to upload, like, an episode or two per day. You'd think they'd have been smart and offered any Blip refuges temporary relief on uploads so they could set up an entire catalog. But you'd be thinking that. Screenwave wouldn't be thinking that. Otherwise, they would have.

Y'know, if the crowdmight of the fanbase can raise $90k for a gameshow and $40k for a movie-- I wonder how much a video-capable server farm would be...

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

lornekates posted:

- Lupa: For a while, her channel was stuck in limbo for Reasons Because Google That's Why. Not sure how that eventually resolved.
The answer is it was never resolved; I still can't monetize anything because everything since May is "under review." I don't think it will clear up until I'm partnered with someone, because I've tried to contact someone at Youtube through various means and never gotten a response.

Stupid thing is, it started when I was uploading my SPN podcast because Supernatural was in the tags. It's an audio podcast, and that's why my account is frozen in monetization limbo.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

But I thought ContentID was flawless and anyone complaining about it should go get real jobs at the Olive Garden.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that's LA Beast's thing.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not into Power Rangers but since I know people here are, I thought I'd share this new retrospective that's started today. It's by Chris Sims at ComicsAlliance - it isn't a video series, it's written. Not sure if it'll have the same tone as his X-Men reviews; as I say, I'm not into the whole tokusatsu thing so I don't know enough about it to comment.

I listen to the War Rocket Ajax podcast Sims co-hosts, and he's mentioned how weird the Power Rangers actually are on that show before. Namely the Zordon-Christ metaphor, and RPM going full-Hideo Kojima. I already like his take better than Linkara's. Mostly because he's discussing the original Sentai as well. And tonaly, Sims seems to be having fun with the material more than Linkara. Who really soured me on his work after that six minute rant about how difficult it is to produce each episode.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Miss Wallace posted:

because I've tried to contact someone at Youtube through various means and never gotten a response.

You tried to contact someone at YT ? Oh you sweet summer child.

You can add Paw's Music Movies to getting contentID wiped. I think he described it as a wasted day and/or an excersize in futility.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lornekates posted:

- Brad Jones had a video claimed & taken down. The video? A Midnight Screening of THE MAN FROM UNCLE. Contains no footage, music, clips, lyrics or copyrighted material of any kind. Zero revenue, no appeal, banned from uploading for up to 10 days.

This was a copyright strike, not a ContentID. Somebody marked the video as infringing (it's back up now), not the automated system. A ContentID claim cannot lock you out of uploading (and a strike only prevents you from uploading videos over 15 minutes, not a flat-out ban from uploading; even if for Brad Jones that's just as crippling).

Seems that there's been a rash of copyright strikes targeting critics lately (DSP got hit too), so my inclination is that this is some kind of 4chan poo poo. The companies know better than to gently caress with people who are obviously not infringing, and ContentID's detection systems do not extend to conversation material, if they did, that would be a loving Nobel Prize. But no, lornekates once uploaded legitimately infringing videos that ContentID correctly identified as infringing, so ContentID is to blame for every single thing that happens on YouTube.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DStecks posted:

Seems that there's been a rash of copyright strikes targeting critics lately (DSP got hit too)

DSP is considered a critic now?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

DSP is considered a critic now?

Close enough? :shrug:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DStecks posted:

Close enough? :shrug:

I'll concede that his "approach" covers the same "yelling and complaining about not understanding things" that Doug Walker likes to do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He made like a 20 minute video on unopening a video game box, and it was still unopened when the video ended

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Decided to start watching SF Debris' show on the history of comic books after hearing recommendations for him here.

It's pretty decent, although I'm disappointed that it's very focused on the last couple decades of comics and there's very, very little about DC Comics (halfway through, at least). He mostly focuses on Marvel, along with Valiant and Image. In the eighth video, which I just watched, he blames someone's death by heart attack on a lovely Captain America comic, which is a little much.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

surf rock posted:

Decided to start watching SF Debris' show on the history of comic books after hearing recommendations for him here.

It's pretty decent, although I'm disappointed that it's very focused on the last couple decades of comics and there's very, very little about DC Comics (halfway through, at least). He mostly focuses on Marvel, along with Valiant and Image. In the eighth video, which I just watched, he blames someone's death by heart attack on a lovely Captain America comic, which is a little much.

That's the point of the series though? Seriously, it's about the events that led up to the Marvel bankruptcy and the effect that had on the American comic book industry as a whole.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm not saying that he missed the point of his series (yes, it's subtitled "The Rise and Fall of the Comic Empire"), I'm saying that I would have personally preferred a broader series that would have gone farther back in time.

Edit: It's honestly not very complicated. It's the same thing as saying, "I wish Person would review X. I like the way that Person approaches their reviews and would like to see them do X instead of Y."

surf rock fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 18, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That's a weird thing to be disappointing about. It's a series that specifically deals with the story of Marvel in the 90s, not about comics in general. It's like being disappointed that his Star Trek reviews don't focus on Star Wars.

Also, I just finished it, and man, does it end on a depressing note.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought those videos were great aside from the clip art/gettyimages asthetic

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

e X posted:

That's a weird thing to be disappointing about. It's a series that specifically deals with the story of Marvel in the 90s, not about comics in general. It's like being disappointed that his Star Trek reviews don't focus on Star Wars.

"The Rise and Fall of This One Specific Comic Empire"?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I think it was a good idea to stick to one general aspect of the genre, otherwise, we'd only be halfway done or whatever.

And it'd be real difficult to keep track of who hated who, who was buying what and which dumb decision this person would make for that company, it would've been a giant clusterfuck of deceit and lawsuit info if he'd covered the whole thing and since I was forgetting a few details here and there by the end, I'm glad it focused on one thing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

surf rock posted:

He didn't actually blame the death on the comic. You're omitting some key language.

Edit: He basically said "Guy who cared a lot about Captain America dies within days of lovely comic by Liefeld hitting stores. Coincidence?" It's not meant to be taken literally.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 18, 2015

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

He didn't actually blame the death on the comic. You're omitting some key language.

Quoting directly from the video, "It should be noted, and I'm actually being serious here, Rob Liefeld made a comic so bad, it may have killed a man."

Yes, he also says "The toxic environment at Marvel had destroyed a good man," but the way he tells the story (Gruenwald takes a preview comic of the new Captain America home and IMMEDIATELY DIES) is just silly. The toxic environment bit is probably right, the Captain America comic bit is silliness.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tae posted:

He made like a 20 minute video on unopening a video game box, and it was still unopened when the video ended

Wow, I didn't know that "A day in the life of DSP" video slowbeef and co. made was actually a docudrama.

Unboxing videos are inherently bullshit and dumb, but you have to be a special kind of dumb to not even open the box in the video.

...How does Phil even know how to breathe?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

DStecks posted:

4chan poo poo.

Hang on, my "trolling or stupid" detector needs more data. Let's see what you say next.

DStecks posted:

The companies know better than to gently caress with people who are obviously not infringing,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Okay, I'll take "none of the above: going for humor" instead. That's legit the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Thanks.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

EDIT: lornekates is a paranoid idiot, but I am in a heightened emotional state and should not be posting.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 19, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You know what, I'll give you a gimme here. Removed.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 19, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

StealthArcher posted:

You know what, I'll give you a gimme here. Removed.

Wow, you could argue and win the argument, but out of the goodness of your heart, you won't.

So polite.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

boom boom boom posted:

Wow, you could argue and win the argument, but out of the goodness of your heart, you won't.

So polite.

Please, make sure the stupid argument we just avoided still happens somehow.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Just watched a Spoony live stream of Metal Gear Solid 4. There's parts where he gets super bitchy, but drat it all if he's not still really funny a lot of the time. He's really good at doing stuff off the cuff.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Does anyone know, or has he announced, where SF Debris is moving? I'd be immensely disappointed if his body of work is lost. And if no one has picked him up, why on Earth not?!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Does anyone know, or has he announced, where SF Debris is moving? I'd be immensely disappointed if his body of work is lost. And if no one has picked him up, why on Earth not?!

His patreon is doing pretty decently so I assume that he will probably move to Vimeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

He's only said that he has options and had offers but doesn't want to announce anything until everything is finalized. He's been pretty emphatic about how the show WILL continue though.

• Locked thread