Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'm at a point where if it somehow ended up Clinton vs Trump I'd really have to think about it. A Trump presidency would be a disaster but I think a Clinton one would be pretty lovely too. I don't know. I didn't think I could become more disillusioned with politics but here we are. I honestly feel like they'd make similar SCOTUS noms. Seeing the entire Republican establishment throw a shitfit for four years that would make the last eight years look reasonable and cordial may do it for me.

There are way too many old racists still alive whose votes they depend on. They're at least a decade from running a minority candidate and even then it'll probably be someone, uh, lighter, like Rubio. Herman Cain was the frontrunner at one point in 2012 to give you an idea of how afraid of Ben Carson you should be.

Maybe do some research into their relative positions before you vote then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hillary Clinton is the Dems Mitt Romney.

"Anyone but him. Except these other assholes trying to run, they're even less electable. gently caress."

Fortunately the Republicans don't have an Obama.

Except for the part where Hillary Clinton is perfectly electable.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

"Anyone but him. Except these other assholes trying to run, they're even less electable. gently caress."

Hillary's a career politician with a long track record, as opposed to a career businessman who had a brief stint as governor, so they aren't really that similar besides attitudes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

awesmoe posted:

Maybe do some research into their relative positions before you vote then

From a consequences perspective, Trump seems more likely to get single-payer, infrastructure programs, and campaign finance reform through a Republican controlled congress than Hillary, and those are all important things.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FairGame posted:

61 million people voted for Romney.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

From a consequences perspective, Trump seems more likely to get single-payer, infrastructure programs, and campaign finance reform through a Republican controlled congress than Hillary, and those are all important things.
He'll also appoint lovely Republican Supreme Court justices, because those are the only kinds that will get through a Republican senate with a Republican as President. We can also count on tons of deportations and a new foreverwar.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm coming around to the idea of president Trump already.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

0 isn't greater than 0.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Donald Trump is this election's Obama.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Montasque posted:

White Billionaire Republican Obama. Sounds legit.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Montasque posted:

Donald Trump has skeletons in his closet that would torpedo him in the General. Skeletons everyone already knows about, his fervant supporters don't care about, but the majority of Americans do. Obama was an unknown. They aren't comparable.

Enjoy it while it lasts. I sure am. He isn't electable.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Do we know what the questions asked in that poll were?

We shouldn't anoint anyone yet. My wife and I will be volunteering later this week.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Tempest_56 posted:

A thought occured to me today - Trump vs Hillary might actually be an amazing thing for the American political process. Not because of the entertainment value (which would be great), but because they're both teflon candidates. Both of them can get hit with drat near every scandal under the sun and shrug it off like no one else can. That's pretty unheard of and would require both sides to radically alter how they campaign. It might even require an actual focus on issues and positions and that sort of insanity.

Trump and Clinton have been in the public eye for so long that we feel we already know everything about them, and everything else the media can drudge up about them is just so...meh. At this point in their lives, everyone already has an opinion about Trump/Clinton and no manufactured scandal will change that. The only thing that matters is the strength (or lack thereof) of their competition.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

why is north carolina being polled so early?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Montasque posted:

You are probably fake posting but that is not correct.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

To counter Berniementum as if anybody said she was collapsing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I want you all to take a moment and imagine a hypothetical President Trump browbeating a recalcitrant Congress into falling lockstep with his policies, directly calling out uncooperative legislators in the media and embarrassing them repeatedly until they cave. Isn't it beautiful?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

Do we know what the questions asked in that poll were?

"Who would you vote for?"

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Brannock posted:

I want you all to take a moment and imagine a hypothetical President Trump browbeating a recalcitrant Congress into falling lockstep with his policies, directly calling out uncooperative legislators in the media and embarrassing them repeatedly until they cave. Isn't it beautiful?

here let me demonstrate for you:

@POTUS Speaker Boehner has blocked my social security bill from getting to vote. No wonder his own party tried to replace him as speaker. What a loser!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why is north carolina being polled so early?

Important Senate race.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

Aah, the ted cruz approach.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

euphronius posted:

You are probably fake posting but that is not correct.

Prove it!!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Between mocking those that don't like the results and including nonsense questions to demonstrate just how dumb the average respondent is PPP is just the best.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

FairGame posted:

hillary clinton is mitt romney

she is unelectable

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? A Trump presidency would be leagues worse than a Clinton one, and in what world are they going to be making similar SCOTUS nominations? This "both parties are the same!" bullshit is getting tiring.

Right. Especially since the question is less "what legislation will the President advocate for?" and "what legislation will the President sign when it hits his/her desk?". Like sure, Trump may not be 100% in sync with what the institutional Republican Party is pushing, but will he really veto the repeal of Obamacare and its replacement with whatever the Heritage institute comes up with? He might call Paul Ryan a poopy-head or whatever but is he going to veto the Republican budget with tax cuts and dramatic service reductions?

The reverse applies to Clinton - she's maybe less liberal than desired, but she's also not too likely to sign a new RFRA or something

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Brannock posted:

61 million people voted for Romney.

OK, "except for the part where both candidates were perfectly electable."

Romney was never going to win and it had less to do with 47% or whatever other narrative people like to spin and more to do with factors well before October 2012.

Most political science models punt on candidates because both parties put up good and viable candidates. 2016 isn't going to be any different (Bush/Walker/Rubio/maaaaaaaaaaaybe Kasich), but it's nice to dream about a model that has to account for Donald loving Trump

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

awesmoe posted:

Aah, the ted cruz approach.

This is very apt since it would get as much accomplished as Ted Cruz has.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Tempest_56 posted:

A thought occured to me today - Trump vs Hillary might actually be an amazing thing for the American political process. Not because of the entertainment value (which would be great), but because they're both teflon candidates. Both of them can get hit with drat near every scandal under the sun and shrug it off like no one else can. That's pretty unheard of and would require both sides to radically alter how they campaign. It might even require an actual focus on issues and positions and that sort of insanity.

Now I'm imagining the 2016 election like a DBZ fight between Trump and Hillary. It's like they're powering up now.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I like Hillary Clinton well enough. I guess I'll go for Sanders in the primary, but I'd be happy to vote for her in the general election and I think she'd make a good president.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I admire the artistic skills in this one.

Not sure where it's from, since the person actually uploaded it to Facebook as a photo instead of just sharing.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I can't believe people are seriously explaining in this thread that Trump wouldn't actually for-real be an okay president.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Antti posted:

This is very apt since it would get as much accomplished as Ted Cruz has.
That was my point, but I guess if people are ignorant enough to think that trump would a) have progressive goals and b) accomplish those goals, they probably don't know about cruz either.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

smackfu posted:

Not sure where it's from, since the person actually uploaded it to Facebook as a photo instead of just sharing.

This and tenured professors need to GTFO

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

smackfu posted:

Did I accidentally ingest acid or does it look like her face is swirling around if you don't focus too hard on it?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

JT Jag posted:

Donald Trump has skeletons in his closet that would torpedo him in the General. Skeletons everyone already knows about, his fervant supporters don't care about, but the majority of Americans do. Obama was an unknown. They aren't comparable.

May I ask what the skeletons are, please.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

OctoberBlues posted:

Did I accidentally ingest acid or does it look like her face is swirling around if you don't focus too hard on it?
It looks like her wrinkle lines had some kind of sharpening filter applied to them.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
The right is melting down:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...tack-breitbart/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Ben Carson literally argued that he wants to raise taxes on the middle class because he doesn't want them to be "comfortable." How the gently caress can people hear that and rationalize it away? The man is saying I'M GOING TO RAISE YOUR TAXES and somehow it doesn't register, people are more concerned about fetal tissue research he did 20 years ago. It's really astonishing how the GOP has shifted from largely wanting to lower taxes for everyone to now supporting tax policies that totally screw over everyone who isn't rich. Is spite that much of a greater motivator than self-interest that people will vote in higher taxes on themselves just because poors might be hit harder?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

JT Jag posted:

I 100% agree that he has deep character flaws, but if everyone knows about these skeletons (and they do) then they are not going to sink him. Same for Hillary. Bengazi and the emails are going to sink her as much as travelgate, Rose Law billing records, and Vince Foster did.

Don't underestimate American's desire to vote for the candidate they would most want to hang out with and the desire to rally behind a winner. That matters far more than who is the most ideologically pure. Really, would you rather have Cruz, Walker or Jeb! in your living room? Watch Trump give a speech and he is unscripted, free wheeling and funny. He's a lot more electable than you think, its become clear he is in it to win, and he is not going to self destruct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

MaxxBot posted:

Is spite that much of a greater motivator than self-interest that people will vote in higher taxes on themselves just because poors might be hit harder?
The internet says hi.

• Locked thread