Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EugeneJ posted:

I wonder why Jindal went with Bobby instead of Bob

Gotta get as far from Piyush as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Bob Ojeda posted:

Incredibly successful in his own field + deeply evangelical
Also apparently thinks the biggest problem for poor people is regulations, according to that interview with Chris Wallace.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reads like a word describing the sound of something falling into water

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bob Ojeda posted:

Incredibly successful in his own field + deeply evangelical

Taking a very right wing tax plan that rich guys have wanted for years and couching it in religious terms, evangelicals are going to lap that poo poo up. Especially ones that won't vote for Trump because they don't think he's religious enough.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!
I could see him as Trump's VP pick.

People say Cruz, but he's the one guy in this race with a bigger ego than Trump's, and Carson plays to the same base.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

glenn beck is going to be on hannity tonight where hannity will probably white night trump and it's going to be good tv imo

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Populism is a powerful force.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are things not looking good for Clinton's prospects? My father thinks she has too much scandal to win against Bernie.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Grouchio posted:

Are things not looking good for Clinton's prospects? My father thinks she has too much scandal to win against Bernie.

Nothing of serious traction. We're still 6 months from primary votes, so that's a lot of time to ramp up. Now, if she's polling this bad in late december/january, she should start to sweat a bit.

Of course, if there are any Actual Charges filed, that changes the game completely. But so far there's no there, there.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hmm yes Donald Trump is just like Ron Paul, a flash in the pan, and the Republicans will surely pick elected official, and poo poo for brains Ted Cruz or ape-escape Jeb!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OAquinas posted:

Nothing of serious traction. We're still 6 months from primary votes, so that's a lot of time to ramp up. Now, if she's polling this bad in late december/january, she should start to sweat a bit.

Of course, if there are any Actual Charges filed, that changes the game completely. But so far there's no there, there.
Charges for what?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

OAquinas posted:

Who comes out of the woodwork to replace Clinton if that happens? Biden? Biden would probably do pretty good at the debates at least and he hasn't said too many dumb things. Plus he'd have more of Obama's excitement behind him in terms of how people perceive him.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think Biden would be more palatable to Republicans who abhor the direction the party went after 2008 and 2012.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Grouchio posted:

Charges for what?

Exactly!

Or more substantively, any of the "scandal" she has going on actually blossoming into more than GOP witchunting/throwing poo poo at the wall. The biggest thing at the moment is her private mail server, but so far there's been no damning product outside of bloviating RW pundits.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here is an easy way to make money right now: bet against Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump winning their nominations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wouldn't think her scandals would affect her performance against Bernie much, since he's running a positive campaign and unlikely to use them against her. People might appeal to them to argue she's less electable in the general or allude to how she's more shady than Bernie, but most of the scandals hanging around the Clinton name are fabricated right-wing garbage and a lot of Democrats will probably be resistant to making decisions based on them for that reason.

Well they're absolutely right, President Trump would probably turn Washington as we know it on its head. Heck even if he "just" won the nomination I think the political class would refuse to work with him even with the voters' blessing. Most career Republicans would probably rather take their ball and go home than bow down to Trump in a gaudy convention thrown in his honor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

Who comes out of the woodwork to replace Clinton if that happens? Biden? Biden would probably do pretty good at the debates at least and he hasn't said too many dumb things. Plus he'd have more of Obama's excitement behind him in terms of how people perceive him.

gillibrand would enter immediately if hillary somehow dropped out against all odds, maybe gore too

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Hodgepodge posted:

I could see him as Trump's VP pick.

People say Cruz, but he's the one guy in this race with a bigger ego than Trump's, and Carson plays to the same base.

The Republican primary seems to always have that candidate that the hardcore evangelicals love but has no chance outside that demographic when the rich guys like someone else. In 2008, it was Huckabee. In 2012, it was Santorum. Now, it's Carson.

But none of them have been the VP pick yet, so I don't know about that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 18, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

A nuclear apocalypse due to the hubris of a man being insulted by Putin or w/e is most definitely a type of change

free midis online
Oct 4, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I don't think scandals are the problem, it's more that she doesn't have any charisma and is seen as disgustingly status quo.

She still has a good chance of winning the primary, though I don't know how well she'd do in the general election.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Joementum posted:

New EE forum background?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Jim Webb will bring up the scandals in a heartbeat. He is the stand in Republican for the Democratic debates.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Thump! posted:

A nuclear apocalypse due to the hubris of a man being insulted by Putin or w/e is most definitely a type of change

Do you really think Trump is that short-sighted? He's playing the easily-aggrieved, aggressive prick right now because it's working for him, but if you think he'd actually launch a nuke over an insult, you're out of your mind.

He's, like, really, really rich, and you don't get that rich by refusing to compromise all the time and flipping your poo poo over every insult. Leadership is different from a primary campaign, and despite his failings, I think Trump knows the difference.

There are plenty of issues of importance to discuss with regards to Trump, like his bizarre plans for the Middle East, and his planned mass deportation of illegal and undocumented immigrants. Why bring up paranoid hypotheticals like nuclear war, ethnic cleansing and genocide, when these very real issues clearly exist?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It would be really funny for the nation stupid enough to go to war with Donald Trump, though. Hope it's Venezuela.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Here is an easy way to make money right now: bet against Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump winning their nominations.

You should do this especially if you want to see Bernie or the Donald win their nominations.

If they win, then you'll be out :10bux: (or whatever) but who cares, because your candidate got the nomination, so be happy.

If they don't win the nomination, at least you get :10bux:.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
"They have to go Chuck.

They have got to go."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

Thump! posted:

Ever seen a pic of Putin standing beside Obama? This isn't the one I have in mind, he looks more dignified in this one. But it'll do:

Basically, Putin isn't that hard to stand down when you're PoTUS. There's a reason he spends so much time posing as an uberbadass- it's compensation.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America has the finest armed military on Earth with 10x more might than anyone. They all hate us and we gotta be tough and smart.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Is this even arguable? Of course, out of the people listed on that poll, Donald Trump is most likely to change things. It doesn't specify that that's changing things in a positive way, mind.

Ben Carson would also change things, but only because he'd be a president with no idea of what the presidency does who doesn't actually know any of the movers and shakers in Washington.

Ted Cruz would also shake things up, probably by having tanks shell Congress when Congress doesn't pass legislation he wants.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

JT Jag posted:

and make insurance a more painless process for both people and corporations.

But you repeat yourself.

Hodgepodge posted:

Ever seen a pic of Putin standing beside Obama? This isn't the one I have in mind, he looks more dignified in this one. But it'll do:

Basically, Putin isn't that hard to stand down when you're PoTUS. There's a reason he spends so much time posing as an uberbadass- it's compensation.

I've heard, though I cannot remember where, that part of it is to native Russian speakers, Putin's accent is comes off as kinda wimpy, like having an unfortunate lisp in English. I have no idea if that's actually the case, but it certainly adds to the overcompensation side of things.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

Joementum posted:

At this point, I'm wondering how the GOP establishment is going to stop him. He seems to be getting enough momentum to win over the base even if he isn't everyone's #1 choice, but surely they'll have to flush the election down the toilet to stop him (especially if he runs as a third party, but the hit to turnout from shutting him out with a technicality alone would have to be pretty rough).

quote:

I've heard, though I cannot remember where, that part of it is to native Russian speakers, Putin's accent is comes off as kinda wimpy, like having an unfortunate lisp in English. I have no idea if that's actually the case, but it certainly adds to the overcompensation side of things.

Hah, that would make a lot of sense. Imagine being the only man in Russia who doesn't sound like he's bottled testosterone.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 18, 2015

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

OAquinas posted:

Exactly!

Or more substantively, any of the "scandal" she has going on actually blossoming into more than GOP witchunting/throwing poo poo at the wall. The biggest thing at the moment is her private mail server, but so far there's been no damning product outside of bloviating RW pundits.

I was under the impression it was absolutely confirmed that she mishandled classified information and possibly Top Secret level classified information.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Scott Walker's answer about birthright citizenship has just one teensy tiny problem....

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hodgepodge posted:

At this point, I'm wondering how the GOP establishment is going to stop him.

Voting, mostly.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!

Joementum posted:

Voting, mostly.

So his polling isn't going to translate into actual numbers, when it comes down to the primaries?

I guess if there's one thing he's good at, it's creating the impression of success.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Scott Walker: literally more retarded than Donald Trump about birthright citizenship.

I mean, at least Trump's representative had the good sense to blather on and on about the possible interpretations of the "under the jurisdiction" bit of the 14th amendment.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
These two clowns are voting for Carly.

(They are professional clowns.)

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why is north carolina being polled so early?

Because PPP is based in Raleigh, NC, so they have an affinity for the state. There's actually a GIF floating around of their head pollster getting really excited at a UNC baseball game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hodgepodge posted:

So his polling isn't going to translate into actual numbers, when it comes down to the primaries?

Correct. For example, he's still at 20% in Iowa with Walker close behind. You know who got 20% of the vote in Iowa? A man by the name of Dr. Ron Paul. Google him.

• Locked thread