Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Asking a Jew to admit Palestine has a right to exist is antisemitic, so all US presidents who have pushed for a two-state solution are antisemitic. SCIENCE FACT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Deliberately asking any Jewish musicians to declare Palestine has a right to exist while not requiring the same of any others would be pretty clear evidence of antisemitism. Asking a Jewish musician who has been outspoken on Palestine to do so without asking any other musicians who have made similar statements would be antisemitic. If there were other Jewish performers who didn't have this requested of them or no other performers who have made such comments then I think it would be pretty tough to argue conclusively that this was antisemitic.

Personally I think the optics are not great but if you start requiring things like this at concerts (declaiming Israel's actions/affirming the belief that Palestinians are entitled to a state) you are going to disproportionately affect Jewish people simply because they are far more likely to have been asked about and so have made public comments about the situation in Israel. In that regard a policy that only required it of musicians who had said pro-Israeli things previously certainly comes close to being antisemitic, this case doesn't seem to have been one of any actual policy however but a number of musicians who had reservations about performing alongside someone who they felt supported policies that went against the spirit of the festival. If the organisers had a quick choice between losing a number of musicians or losing one, it seems like they tried to effect a compromise solution that was unsatisfactory and chose the option that would be least harmful to the festival. I don't think it's actually antisemtic in intent but shows that such events need to start considering things like this beforehand and make an effort to come up with a solution that won't end up targetting a specific group.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We do require Palenstinians to admit Israel has a right to exist though.

e: Haven't read much into the story though, if the guy they're boycotting is non-Israeli then it doesn't make much sense.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 17, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

I have a hard time thinking he was the only artist there who'd ever made statements as offensive as "there wasn't a Palestine before Israel, right?" and "Israel actually gives a ton of aid to Gaza and doesn't deserve its bum rap (five years ago)." I can believe he was the most Jewy looking artist there, though. If being pro-Palestine was somehow important to the concert or the other artists, they should at least have asked everyone to make a "human rights are cool, let Palestine exist" tweet.

Given that some of the other artists involved in the festival were threatening to refuse to play if he was allowed to play, it's probably pretty unlikely that the other artists had voiced anti-Palestine views in the recent past. I feel this is an important point, because the festival wasn't just bowing to internet protesters - the actual musicians that had been signed for this music festival were offended enough by his views to stage a revolt. That's why the festival didn't ask everyone to make such a statement - because their intention was to get Matisyahu to say something that would placate the other artists so they could keep both Matisyahu and the other musicians, not to enforce a political orthodoxy on performers. When he refused, they were left with a choice between dumping Matisyahu or losing several other musicians.

Poor optics, maybe, but it's not like they fired a tenured professor over a pro-Palestine tweet or something! Speaking of which, I don't recall anyone complaining that the university was being racist against that (Palestinian-American) professor, nor do I recall any "loyalty oath" rhetoric being thrown around. Why is it different now? Why is punishing a Jewish American person for anti-Palestinian comments considered anti-semitic, but punishing a Palestinian American person for anti-Israel comments is just fine and not racist at all, even if it's in violation of the principles of tenure and academic freedom?

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 17, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Main Paineframe posted:

Given that some of the other artists involved in the festival were threatening to refuse to play if he was allowed to play, it's probably pretty unlikely that the other artists had voiced anti-Palestine views in the recent past. I feel this is an important point, because the festival wasn't just bowing to internet protesters - the actual musicians that had been signed for this music festival were offended enough by his views to stage a revolt. That's why the festival didn't ask everyone to make such a statement - because their intention was to get Matisyahu to say something that would placate the other artists so they could keep both Matisyahu and the other musicians, not to enforce a political orthodoxy on performers. When he refused, they were left with a choice between dumping Matisyahu or losing several other musicians.

I suppose it's more understandable if the other musicians were the ones asking, but the festival could still have handled it more gracefully than it did. Are there any numbers on how many artists were protesting him, or if there were other Jewish artists participating?

Main Paineframe posted:

Poor optics, maybe, but it's not like they fired a tenured professor over a pro-Palestine tweet or something! Speaking of which, I don't recall anyone complaining that the university was being racist against that (Palestinian-American) professor, nor do I recall any "loyalty oath" rhetoric being thrown around. Why is it different now? Why is punishing a Jewish American person for anti-Palestinian comments considered anti-semitic, but punishing a Palestinian American person for anti-Israel comments is just fine and not racist at all, even if it's in violation of the principles of tenure and academic freedom?

That was significantly more hosed up and I don't think anyone would contest that, outside of the established thread hypocrites.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

I suppose it's more understandable if the other musicians were the ones asking, but the festival could still have handled it more gracefully than it did. Are there any numbers on how many artists were protesting him, or if there were other Jewish artists participating?

That was significantly more hosed up and I don't think anyone would contest that, outside of the established thread hypocrites.

Hard to find good info, since I'm phoneposting, the primary sources are in Spanish, and most of the English sources are right-wing rags that are vague about the actual details. The best I can find is that either four or five artists dropped out in protest because of Matisyahu's inclusion. The festival was definitely facing considerable pressure from the musicians it had signed to perform, and it seems clear that their request for him to state some support for a Palestinian state was a desperate attempt to get him to appease the pro-Palestine artists who refused to perform at the festival, not a dastardly loyalty oath.

The part that gets me is the flavor of the rhetoric, though. While it's widely agreed that what happened to Salaita was "hosed up", it was also widely agreed from the beginning that it was exclusively about his political views, the principles of academic freedom, the university's fear of donor pressure. I've never heard anyone accuse the university of being racist, claim that they were discriminating against him because of his heritage, or cast it as requiring "loyalty oaths" from Palestinian-Americans - all accusations that have been made about the Matisyahu incident in the last page or so of this very thread.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

nopantsjack posted:

We do require Palenstinians to admit Israel has a right to exist though.

e: Haven't read much into the story though, if the guy they're boycotting is non-Israeli then it doesn't make much sense.

Of course not. In fact we require suspected zionists to state that Palestinians should be allowed to call for the death of Israel and banishment of Jews who migrated after 1882. Anything less is tantamount to supporting colonialism.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kajeesus posted:

This is google translated:

http://boicotisrael.net/bds/rototom-matisyahu/

"Just to mention the organizations and individuals participating in the festival have been positioned against Matisyahu's performance and / or have decided to cancel their participation, we collect to:"

"Pallas' s default (Social Forum -FS-)
Fernando Garcia Guereta (Rototom documentary Film Festival)
Legal Brotsanbert study (FS / Nonprofit)
DJ Bianco (Juanita Club)
Hassanna Aalia (FS)
FiSahara (FS)
The Gossa Deaf (Showcase Stage)
Engineers Without Borders (Nonprofit)
Periferies (Nonprofit)
Platform for food Sobirania (Nonprofit)
Xavi Lord (Castelló in Moviment, Nonprofit)
Campanya not to TTIP the districts of Castello and Platform Antifracking (Non Profit)"

"Along with other organizations who have contacted us and that in the coming hours will be pronounced."

As it was a Raggae festival, I doubt there would be any other Jewish performers as the Reggae/Jewish venn diagram probably has very little overlap, although it is a big festival and there seem to be a few white acts/groups so maybe there would be a few Jewish people. Frankly I haven't heard of any of them, let alone know their backgrounds. Most of them don't even seem to have wiki pages.

Personally I'm cool with what went on but I'd point out as this was the action of a single BDS group, as in not even the entire Spanish national movement let alone the international movement. I think anyone trying to take a negative view of the situation and paint the entire BDS movement with it is way way overreaching on two counts.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 17, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Of course not. In fact we require suspected zionists to state that Palestinians should be allowed to call for the death of Israel and banishment of Jews who migrated after 1882. Anything less is tantamount to supporting colonialism.

Yes, this is exactly what happened.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Contrari-contrariwise, the point of demanding a non-Israeli Jewish-American prove that he's "one of the good ones" by denouncing Israel is to turn Jews into pariahs.

Taking money away from people who support ethnic cleansing is inarguably a good thing.

Anyone arguing otherwise simply supports ethnic cleansing.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's cool, and good, that people in D&D unironically defend neo-nazis now to win internet arguments.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

-Troika- posted:

It's cool, and good, that people in D&D unironically defend neo-nazis now to win internet arguments.

Someone had to come to your defense eventually

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes, this is exactly what happened.

It is exactly how reasonable readers see what occured, yes. Sometimes antisemitic spainards are just that: antisemitic spainards.

Why do you deny that depriving a jew of his economic livelyhood for refusing to sign what is tantamount to an anti-jewish loyalty oath is antisemitism?

Ban and outlaw BDS as a hate organization.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

It is exactly how reasonable readers see what occured, yes. Sometimes antisemitic spainards are just that: antisemitic spainards.

Why do you deny that depriving a jew of his economic livelyhood for refusing to sign what is tantamount to an anti-jewish loyalty oath is antisemitism?

Ban and outlaw BDS as a hate organization.

The artistic scene in the USA must be in very dire straits if an American artist's economic livelihood depends entirely on participating in one Spanish festival. But never mind that. Do we agree that asking of someone that they recognize a country's right to exist is a hate crime, and that those who do engage in this kind of behavior should be banned and outlawed? Because this seems like a very interesting standard to see applied across the board, equally, for everyone.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

The artistic scene in the USA must be in very dire straits if an American artist's economic livelihood depends entirely on participating in one Spanish festival. But never mind that. Do we agree that asking of someone that they recognize a country's right to exist is a hate crime, and that those who do engage in this kind of behavior should be banned and outlawed? Because this seems like a very interesting standard to see applied across the board, equally, for everyone.

It depends upon the nation, and that nation's participation in normative, international practices.

Its a hatecrime when folks ask others to recognize the existance of ISIL.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

My Imaginary GF posted:

It depends upon the nation, and that nation's participation in normative, international practices.

I take it you don't recognise the existence of Israel.

You should really rethink that. Regardless of their war crimes, refusals to abide by international norms and their focus on racial purity they still exist and refusing to recognise reality just doesn't make sense.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Are you saying that supporting the existence of a Palestinian state is inherently anti-Jewish? In that case, the Prime Minister of Israel would be an anti-semite!

My Imaginary GF posted:

ISIL does exist, though. Refusing to recognize that they exist is about as stupid as refusing to recognize gravity. And since people are literally accusing each other of being Nazis right now, I don't see how much extra harm I could possibly do by engaging you with a good old round of pointless pedantry over a couple missing words.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

Are you saying that supporting the existence of a Palestinian state is inherently anti-Jewish?

It should be up to the individual Jew to determine their support of Palestine. They should not have to sign a pledge that they support Palestine in order to have gainful economic employment.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

It should be up to the individual Jew to determine their support of Palestine. They should not have to sign a pledge that they support Palestine in order to have gainful economic employment.

What about a pledge that they support Israel?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's not what you said, though - you said that tweeting support for Palestine was "tantamount to an anti-Jewish loyalty oath". Besides, I'm not aware of any rule that a organization is not permitted to cut ties with a public figure who has expressed controversial political views and then refusing to recant them.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

That's not what you said, though - you said that tweeting support for Palestine was "tantamount to an anti-Jewish loyalty oath". Besides, I'm not aware of any rule that a organization is not permitted to cut ties with a public figure who has expressed controversial political views and then refusing to recant them.

Forcing someone to tweet opinions which are not theirs, and which may conflict with their religious practice, in order to receiving a contract for gainful employment, is antisemitic in all ways that an act could be antisemitic.

Support for the right of Israel to exist is often a core pillar of judaic worship; to demand a public figure disavow themselves from how they choose to practice the Jewish faith, a practice entirely acceptable in the adult world, is just another example of BDS's underground river of antisemitic thought and motivation seeping to the surface.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Forcing someone to tweet opinions which are not theirs, and which may conflict with their religious practice, in order to receiving a contract for gainful employment, is antisemitic in all ways that an act could be antisemitic.

Support for the right of Israel to exist is often a core pillar of judaic worship; to demand a public figure disavow themselves from how they choose to practice the Jewish faith, a practice entirely acceptable in the adult world, is just another example of BDS's underground river of antisemitic thought and motivation seeping to the surface.

I'm not aware of any aspect of Jewish worship which prohibits the existence of a Palestinian state. They didn't ask him to deny Israel's existence, only to show some support for a Palestinian state - which would put him in the same camp as noted antisemite Benjamin Netanyahu.

He's free to refuse, of course, but the festival is also free to refuse to associate with him because, as a celebrity, he is a public figure whose controversial political statements can affect the public perception of organizations that choose to associate with him. This is not antisemitic any more than refusing to associate with an anti-abortionist is anti-Christian.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 17, 2015

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not aware of any aspect of Jewish worship which prohibits the existence of a Palestinian state. They didn't ask him to deny Israel's existence, only to show some support for a Palestinian state - which would put him in the same camp as noted antisemite Benjamin Netanyahu.

When BDSers single out a performer because he is a Jew and demand of him a written statement or video appearance where he condemns Israel or Zionism it is blindingly, inarguably antisemitic.

To absurdly suggest otherwise is to descend deep into "it's not racism, it's race realism" territory.

If Cat Stevens were singled out and forced to issue a strident condemnation of Muslim violence before being allowed to perform at a festival, it would sure as poo poo be islamophobic and so would anybody defending that move.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 17, 2015

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

When BDSers single out a performer because he is a Jew and demand of him a written statement or video appearance where he condemns Israel and Zionism it is staggeringly, inarguably antisemitic.

To absurdly suggest otherwise is to descend deep into "it's not racism, it's race realism" territory.

If Cat Stevens were singled out and forced to issue a strident condemnation of Muslim violence before being allowed to perform at a festival, it would sure as poo poo be islamophobic and so would anybody defending that move.

If Cat Stevens went on record saying "Death to the infidels, death to America, praise be to Allah," it would be absolutely reasonable to require him to issue a strident condemnation of Muslim violence before performing.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

The Insect Court posted:

When BDSers single out a performer because he is a Jew and demand of him a written statement or video appearance where he condemns Israel or Zionism it is blindingly, inarguably antisemitic.

Matisyahu got singled out for having a lovely pro-zionist attitude and trying to perform at a human rights festival, which is to say based on his actions. That's how it should be. Race doesn't come into it either way.

The only way it would make sense in your analogy is if Yusef Islam had made pro-Islamic terror comments in which case, yes, I think it's fair enough to clear that up before playing at a festival supporting humanitarian beliefs or to exclude him. Not that it would ever be necessary because the man is a national treasure and had said of 9/11:

"I wish to express my heartfelt horror at the indiscriminate terrorist attacks committed against innocent people of the United States yesterday. While it is still not clear who carried out the attack, it must be stated that no right-thinking follower of Islam could possibly condone such an action. The Qur'an equates the murder of one innocent person with the murder of the whole of humanity. We pray for the families of all those who lost their lives in this unthinkable act of violence as well as all those injured; I hope to reflect the feelings of all Muslims and people around the world whose sympathies go out to the victims of this sorrowful moment."

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

The Insect Court posted:

Do you really feel like any statement in support of Palestine is inherently condemning Israel?

Considering that Hatikva 6 hasn't been asked to make any statements, I'm pretty sure Matisyahu was singled out due to his professed political views, and not his race or his religion,

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

team overhead smash posted:

Matisyahu got singled out for having a lovely pro-zionist attitude and trying to perform at a human rights festival, which is to say based on his actions. That's how it should be. Race doesn't come into it either way.

Let's see what this filthy Zionist has actually said about the issue, shall we?

http://www.thejc.com/arts/music/33123/the-moment-when-matisyahu-lost-his-cool

quote:

Is he a militant Zionist?

"No," he replies, adding tetchily: "What does that even mean? That's getting into bigger questions, and I'm not going to do that. I'm a musician. My whole purpose is to bring people together; it's not about focusing on negative stuff. I just happen to be in England and this [Gaza incident] happened and I see how completely one-sided it is. It's emotional to me because it feels so wrong: that's why I'm speaking about it. I feel there's a lot of anti-Israel sentiment in the world and a lot of ignorance about what Israel is and does. But it's not for me to speak on Israel's behalf."

http://cornellsun.com/blog/2012/10/31/questions-for-matisyahu/

quote:

Sun: Your lyrics often center around ending conflict and bloodshed. Where do you stand on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

M: Well, as far as I understand, there was never a country called Palestine. There was the British occupation, but there was never a government. Palestine was a creation that was created within Israel, as Israel had already come about. That’s my understanding, but again, I’m not going to claim that I have the answer or the truth or the right knowledge. I’m a singer. I’m a musician, trying to find his own sense of balance in his own life, trying to write songs that inspire people. I love people and I love human beings, and I think if people could focus on that, it’d be great. But I have no answers as to who’s right and who’s wrong, and how we should deal with such huge issues that go back so far. All I know is that I have devout Muslim followers that love my music. To me, that’s what it’s about with modern people now, getting past who killed who, and knowing that God created this world in mercy. And if we could emulate that quality of mercy, we would be godly people.

What a monster. Definitely the exact equivalent of a Muslim performer praising ISIS.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yes, it is filthy hate rhetorics he is spouting, repeating the same justifying lies ("Palestine was never a country", "the Freedom Flotilla folks attacked Israel", etc.) and the "one-sidedness" he laments is the existence of media criticizing Israel, because if the only thing that existed was pro-Israel propaganda then it wouldn't be one-sided.

The equivalent would be someone talking about how sad it is that Western media only talk about the new Caliphate as a terrorist group instead of seeing all the good it is doing, erasing the old colonial borders and restoring faith and virtue in lands long oppressed by evil dictators. A complete white-washing of reality which nobody here would accept.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Well I am not history professor or something so my knowledge may be lacking. Could you please tell me when Palestine was a country?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Lady Morgaga posted:

Well I am not history professor or something so my knowledge may be lacking. Could you please tell me when Palestine was a country?

Well most countries in the world recognise it as a state now.

However that's not the point. The point is that he was asked a straightforward question of what he thinks about the Israeli Palestinian conflict in general (nothing about Palestine's historic status) and his answer was pointing out Palestine was never a country. It's a nonsense criticism designed to weaken an already disenfranchised people.

It's like being asked "What are your thoughts about a secret cartel of Jews ruling the world" and answering "From my experience in the USA Jews are statistically the wealthiest ethnic group, even wealthier than white non-jews". While technically true and not in itself racist, the implication is clear.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Well most countries in the world recognise it as a state now.

However that's not the point. The point is that he was asked a straightforward question of what he thinks about the Israeli Palestinian conflict in general (nothing about Palestine's historic status) and his answer was pointing out Palestine was never a country. It's a nonsense criticism designed to weaken an already disenfranchised people.
I think its hard to separate I/P conflict from history surrounding it. Eventually unlike BDS movement he didnt claim to have all the right answers. His sin apparently was saying a non-sequitur.

It's like being asked "What are your thoughts about a secret cartel of Jews ruling the world" and answering "From my experience in the USA Jews are statistically the wealthiest ethnic group, even wealthier than white non-jews". While technically true and not in itself racist, the implication is clear.
I think there are less valid answers to questions about secret cabal of Jews then to general questions about I/P conflict. Some people in D&D might disagree with me.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Lady Morgaga posted:

I think its hard to separate I/P conflict from history surrounding it. Eventually unlike BDS movement he didnt claim to have all the right answers. His sin apparently was saying a non-sequitur.

I think there are less valid answers to questions about secret cabal of Jews then to general questions about I/P conflict. Some people in D&D might disagree with me.

Hey, I'm no expert. I'm not sure if the jews deserved the holocaust.

All I'm saying is it takes two to tango.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Lady Morgaga posted:

I think it's hard to separate one Zionist action form the Zionist actions surrounding it like playing at a pro-zionist rally and criticising the Gaza peace flotilla.

His sin wasn't saying a non-sequiter and I think it's disingenuous to play it like that. If he'd said "monkey-cheese-bananas" then he'd be an idiot, but he wouldn't be taking an implicitly zionist stance and there wouldn't be an issue. The problem is that his answer actually does follow on and is a lovely thing to say and adds to the lovely zionist things he's done or said.

quote:

Okay, how about this. Someone says "What do you think about the issues with black civilians and police officers that has been kicking off in the USA recently" someone's response is "Well I think it's a big concern that so many Black people are criminals. Statistically they are WAY more likely to murder or rape you."

I mean I can keep on coming up with analogies and none of them will be exactly the same because they're analogies, so the entire point is they share key similarities but are a bit different. If you don't get how that answer isn't a non-sequiter but is a common 'observation' which is heavily tied into denying Palestinians self-determination.

Seriously, google 'never been a palestine' and check out the results you get. You have numerous zionist sites raising it as a reason to disregard the Palestinians and claim that there is no occupation and an article about Naftali Bennett using it as a rationale to try and annex the Occupied Palestinian Territories. It's a common pro-Zionist anti-Palestinian argument. He didn't follow it up with "and that's why we should ethnically cleanse the Palestinians" but the statement alone is enough to get alarm bells ringing, even putting aside his criticisms of the Gaza peace flotilla and willingness to play at Zionist events.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lady Morgaga posted:

There never was a universal black united African state in South Africa. There is only one answer to the question "does it loving matter" that doesn't make you a virulent racist poo poo. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether the other ones are acceptable when Jews are the ones denying civil rights/statehood.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Okay, how about this. Someone says "What do you think about the issues with black civilians and police officers that has been kicking off in the USA recently" someone's response is "Well I think it's a big concern that so many Black people are criminals. Statistically they are WAY more likely to murder or rape you."

What would you say when that person's defenders insist he never said he is a racist, that's he's merely talking about thugs and criminals who just so happen to be black, that he's got a black friend, that the real racists are the blacks who conflate the "thugs" with the good blacks and how those race hucksters bear much of the blame for racist violence and they're just trying to persecute and silence well-intentioned anti-thug activists like themselves? Would that sway you?

I will say that those sort of arguments don't sway me when they come from :freep:. I would say that they're racists because they legitimize the rhetoric of racism and adopt classical racist canards. Qualifiers and provisos like "it's about culture, not race!" or "I don't have anything against the good ones" are flimsy excuses.

And besides, if you want a meaningful thought experiment here, the analogy isn't about race it's about the reaction if a performer of Palestinian ancestry was singled out and told to issue a public statement recognizing the right of Israel to exist as a Zionist state and to engage in self-defense. It's pretty clear what the result would be. The same people shrugging at a Jewish artist being attacked as a "lover of Israel" and a "Zionist" would be tearing their hair out.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 18, 2015

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

And besides, if you want a meaningful thought experiment here, the analogy isn't about race it's about the reaction if a performer of Palestinian ancestry was singled out and told to issue a public statement recognizing the right of Israel to exist as a Zionist state and to engage in self-defense. It's pretty clear what the result would be. The same people shrugging at a Jewish artist being attacked as a "lover of Israel" and a "Zionist" would be tearing their hair out.

If the said performer said Israel didn't have a right to exist you would be livid that he was allowed to perform.

You aren't livid now because the performer instead hates Palestinians and thinks they should be wiped from the face of the earth, as do you.

I gotta say, this entire incident and the anti-Palestinian response is the best proof I've seen that BDS works. Kudos to the organizer of the concert.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

uninterrupted posted:

If the said performer said Israel didn't have a right to exist you would be livid that he was allowed to perform.

You aren't livid now because the performer instead hates Palestinians and thinks they should be wiped from the face of the earth, as do you.

I gotta say, this entire incident and the anti-Palestinian response is the best proof I've seen that BDS works. Kudos to the organizer of the concert.

I am saddened by the willingness to countenance an act of antisemitism. Just as I would be by a willingness to support similar anti-Arab racism with double standards for a performer of Palestinian descent.

It is unfortunate you cannot say the same, but please do not project double standards you hold onto me.

uninterrupted posted:

Hey, I'm no expert. I'm not sure if the jews deserved the holocaust.

Likewise, I would find 'ironic racism' like this just as objectionable if it were gross anti-Arab racism rather than antisemitism. I believe it's important to be intellectually consistent in matters like this.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The Insect Court posted:

What would you say when that person's defenders insist he never said he is a racist, that's he's merely talking about thugs and criminals who just so happen to be black, that he's got a black friend, that the real racists are the blacks who conflate the "thugs" with the good blacks and how those race hucksters bear much of the blame for racist violence and they're just trying to persecute and silence well-intentioned anti-thug activists like themselves? Would that sway you?
If the Black Panthers were still a powerful militant movement that encouraged, and occasionally themselves engaged in, violent attacks upon police officers and white communities while constantly issuing rhetoric saying all criticism of them was racially motivated and their attacks were really the fault of racism in the system, I don't think it would be unreasonable for people to argue that their rhetoric provided cover for actual racists to spout poo poo. At best your analogy confuses specific criticism of a political group and tactic with some generic blanket statement about an ethnic, religious or racial group. Since you're basically comparing this guy to Salaita (and aren't the first to do so in this thread), his tweet was a specific attack on Israeli rhetoric that tries to cast all criticism of Israel as antisemitically motivated. This musician has made comments that avoid specifically taking a stand on the issue of Palestine while repeating many of the sort of arguments used by pro-Zionists to discredit the idea of a Palestinian state or the legitimacy of Palestinian grievances.

The Insect Court posted:

IMO he's not someone who wants to take an outspoken stand on this issue but is clearly pro-Zionist and has problems with the idea of Palestine. That's a position that many who are performing and would be attending the concert feel is used to justify human rights violations and plenty of other acts that the festival is specifically supposed to oppose, in which case it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask him to publicly acknowledge that his position was simply one that was pro-Israeli without denying the legitimacy of Palestine (favouring a 2 state solution, something which is in no way inherently antisemitic). He wasn't willing to do that.

I'll happily say that the wording they used in their reasoning is pretty bad, I don't know how much that may be the result of translation issues and how much might be negative attitudes in these 'Spainards'

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

The Insect Court posted:

Likewise, I would find 'ironic racism' like this just as objectionable if it were gross anti-Arab racism rather than antisemitism. I believe it's important to be intellectually consistent in matters like this.

Sorry, don't see the racism there. All I'm saying is that I'm not an expert on whether or not the holocaust was warranted, the worst I could be accused of is bringing up a non sequitur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol poo poo's hosed

quote:

Last year, Hadas Kedar dug through the drawers in her parents' apartment, looking for proof of her family's life in Hungary during the 1920s. Eventually, she found several birth certificates and elementary school diplomas, put them in a folder, then sketched out a family tree and brought the paperwork to the Hungarian Embassy in Tel Aviv, Israel. Like thousands of Israelis, Kedar, a 50-year-old artist, is hoping to acquire European citizenship. Yet her application is unique—and symbolic: She is related to Theodor Herzl, the Hungarian-born journalist who was the founding father of the Jewish state.

In July, not long before the country was set to commemorate the 111th anniversary of Herzl's death, I visited Kedar at her apartment, situated near Herzl Street in central Tel Aviv. As we sat in her living room, overlooking the beach, Kedar showed me a highlighted copy of Herzl's published diary. She cherishes the text and doesn't see a contradiction between Herzl's ideas and her desire for EU citizenship. "His words were misused," she says. "His vision was taken over by right-wing political parties." An ardent liberal and supporter of a Palestinian state, Kedar made her decision out of frustration: The Israeli occupation seems firmly entrenched, the peace process irrevocably stalled. And in the near future, she and many others expect Israel to fight another war with radical Islamists in the region. "I wanted to open up options for me and my sons," she says. "I am not sure Herzl would have liked to be in Israel himself these days."

Kedar's left-wing views are in the minority in Israel, but her pursuit of dual citizenship has become more mainstream. Over the past 15 years, as the European Union has expanded while terrorism and war have continued to plague the Jewish state, Israelis have been rushing to acquire citizenship from the countries their relatives fled before and after the Holocaust. The Spanish government announced in July that it would grant citizenship to descendants of Jewish families that the nightmarish Inquisition in 1492 forced out, a move that is expected to bring even more applicants for a darkon zar, Hebrew for "foreign passport."

Between 400,000 and 500,000 Israelis have a European passport, says Yossi Harpaz, a doctoral student at Princeton University, more than double the estimated figure in 2000. Add that to the 500,000 Israelis who already have American, Russian and/or other passports, and that's about 1 million people, or roughly 1 in 8 Israelis, who have dual citizenship. Roughly 75 percent of the country is Jewish, and of that figure, nearly half trace their lineage to Europe. (The other half, known here as mizrahim, come from the Middle East and North Africa.) So for many Israelis, it seems the real two-state solution means holding a second passport.

This doesn't, however, mean that a large number of Israeli Jews will return to Europe for good. In fact, roughly the same number of Jews come to Israel each year as leave the country. Israelis acquire foreign passports in record numbers but seem to keep them for time of need; actual migration from Israel has not changed substantially. "I wouldn't rush to call it the end of Zionism," says Harpaz, "but it means that there is a different way to be Israeli." Yet some politicians warn that under the continued threat of terrorism, or the rise of a nuclear Iran, future generations of Israelis will eventually choose to leave. "I think the phenomenon is connected to the lack of security that Israelis often feel about the future of the country," says Ofer Shelah, a prominent member of the Knesset for the centrist Yesh Atid party. "I thought the state of Israel was created partly in order to release us from the historic fears of the Jewish people, but it seems they are still there."

Since the founding of Israel in 1948, the country has faced a variety of threats—from an attack by Egypt and Syria during the 1973 war to suicide bombings in nightclubs and cafés in the 1990s and 2000s. Today, roughly a year after the war in Gaza, the crowded coastal strip is quiet, but Israel's security seems more precarious than ever. Despite the recent nuclear deal between Iran and six world powers—or perhaps because of it—many Israelis fear Iran will acquire nuclear weapons. Closer to home, ISIS militants (and their proxies) have closed in on Israel's borders with Egypt and Syria. Palestinian attacks have created havoc in Jerusalem, and to Israel's north, Hezbollah has roughly 100,000 rockets aimed at the Jewish state. As one European diplomat tells me, speaking on the condition of anonymity: "The minute there is a war with Gaza, I start to get calls from Israelis with dual citizenship wondering if my government will evacuate them in time of need."

In his research, Harpaz found that the main reasons Israelis want a foreign passport are to have an insurance policy for the next war, to be able to study abroad and to possess it as a status symbol. "Unlike in other countries," he says, "the security rather than the economic situation seems to play a major role in the wish for foreign passports."

Not every Israeli with a foreign passport wants to leave, however. Sometimes, the opposite is true. In recent years, the number of foreign passport holders has grown in Israel in part because of the influx of French Jews fleeing anti-Semitism in Europe; 7,300 moved to Israel last year, according to data provided by the Jewish Agency for Israel. And after the terror attacks in January on Charlie Hebdo and a kosher supermarket in Paris, the number is expected to reach an all-time high this year.

On a recent Friday morning, I met some young Israelis waiting outside of the Polish Embassy in Tel Aviv. Among them: Maya Herzberg, a 28-year-old law student. She has been to Poland once, during a Holocaust remembrance trip in high school. "If Poland was not in the EU," she says, "I would have never done it. But this pass gives me an option to stay anywhere in the EU, and I am thinking of doing my master's somewhere in Western Europe."

Herzberg's mother, Sarah, is more concerned about her daughter's safety. "Things are not getting better here," she says, "and we wanted to take care of our daughters if Israel will become a dangerous place to live."

Scenes like this could soon be replicated outside of the Spanish embassy. The number of potential applicants, according to Israeli estimates, is several hundred thousand, a figure that includes some mizrahim whose families wound up in Morocco or parts of the Middle East after being kicked out of Spain. But since the process requires showing a cultural connection to Spain, among other things, the number could be substantially lower, say lawyers involved in the application process.

Kedar is expecting her passport any day now. "I have a fantasy," she says, "in which I go back to Budapest with my new passport. I go to the brewery that my family owned, which they sold for cheap before running away. I go there, and I tell them, 'We're back.' We tried living somewhere else for a while. It didn't work out. Let's start over."

• Locked thread