Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ri3mannZeta
Nov 18, 2010

ROCK N ROLL MARTIAN
speaking of architectural disasters, did grover's house ever fall down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Skinny King Pimp posted:

yeah, looks like an express lane or HOV lane and they open up every so often to merge back into regular traffic and sometimes have their own exits

plus that's not even that bad. spaghetti junction in atlanta is way more confusing and can be terrifying when there are huge trucks and nobody's letting you merge into traffic

I know there would be very good reason why each of roads are laid out as they are, but when ever I see these type of pictures, I always just really feel like cable ties for roads should be a thing.

Also I like how there seems to be a Government drivers licenses place right next to it. Good luck to any poor bastard who's first drivers test is navigating that mess.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

dr_rat posted:

I know there would be very good reason why each of roads are laid out as they are, but when ever I see these type of pictures, I always just really feel like cable ties for roads should be a thing.

Also I like how there seems to be a Government drivers licenses place right next to it. Good luck to any poor bastard who's first drivers test is navigating that mess.

When I got my license in Georgia back in 96, the practical part of the driving exam involved a closed course with no real traffic. Just signs, cut outs of people, and cars in parking spots (several spots away from where I was asked to demonstrate my abilities). Basically no one is going to be told "okay now to be able to legally drive, go around the perimeter and then drive to Vortex".

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Skinny King Pimp posted:

yeah, looks like an express lane or HOV lane and they open up every so often to merge back into regular traffic and sometimes have their own exits

plus that's not even that bad. spaghetti junction in atlanta is way more confusing and can be terrifying when there are huge trucks and nobody's letting you merge into traffic

I'm from a country where nothing is wider than 6 lanes. Both pictures makes me uneasy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I don't have much experience but I really do feel like all american suburbs need is decent cheap fast train runs into the city.

yeah it sucks that the closest stop on our high speed rail/subway is about as long a drive as it takes to drive into Boston itself, and that city has TWO stops on the T. Massachusetts is tiny that poo poo should go through the whole state, or at least the eastern part.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 17, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Honest question. What cities in the US are actually good for people who don't have cars? How good is public transit in most of Europe?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Accretionist posted:

Trees, I hope. The closer cityscape looks to forest, the better.

you might enjoy scenic anchorage alaska

no one else does, however

e: here's a close up the weird wedding cake in the middle

padijun fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 17, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Skeleton King posted:

Honest question. What cities in the US are actually good for people who don't have cars? How good is public transit in most of Europe?

boston, but you actually have to live IN the city. You can walk most anywhere, the T just makes it easier.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Honest question. What cities in the US are actually good for people who don't have cars?

New York. Philly's not bad. D.C. (although the metro there shuts down ridiculously early).

quote:

How good is public transit in most of Europe?

Something I think that people are missing is that while Europe moves far more people by rail, the USA moves a far higher proportion of goods by rail than Europe does. Something like 80% of all landbound freight in Europe goes by road, it's closer to 90% in the UK. A rail network optimized for moving freight sucks at moving people, and vice versa.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Honest question. What cities in the US are actually good for people who don't have cars?

I never needed a car when living in Chicago.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

What cities in the US are actually good for people who don't have cars?

San Francisco is good for no cars, except for certain outer neighborhoods. We could do much better if we killed one more freeway. San Francisco's bus and light rail system, MUNI, gets a bad rap from lots of locals who rely on it, which I find annoying. An extensive, crowded mass transit system is an indicator of good transit, mostly empty buses and trains are a bad sign, IMO. Point to point time isn't great, but it's not terrible either. Everything about transit in San Francisco could be improved if we eliminated a lot of free and cheap parking, and jacked up the price of the remainder. So says our lord and savior Donald Shoup, for ever and ever amen.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roy posted:

Genuine question. Where is the "hip" part of Houston? Is there any?
Montrose I guess.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The ones that are pretty good overall:

NYC
Boston
Washington DC
Chicago
San Francisco
Philadelphia

LA, Portland and Seattle have pretty good transit in some parts and bad public transit in other parts, as do some other cities. Everywhere else is complete poo poo with buses that come like once per hour, if they have buses at all. And outside of the big cities, high speed rail is considered to be an evil liberal communist gay illuminati conspiracy to enslave America.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Hermsgervørden posted:

Everything about transit in San Francisco could be improved if we eliminated a lot of free and cheap parking, and jacked up the price of the remainder. So says our lord and savior Donald Shoup, for ever and ever amen.

That wouldn't actually improve public transit though, it'd just make it better in comparison to driving which would become far more inconvenient.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

How good is public transit in most of Europe?

Prettu good overal and in comparison to thr US. That's because there is less sprawl and the cities are more compact.

I used to live in a city of less than 100,000 and I took the bus every day to uni. If you want to travel between cities you can take one of the frequent trains. Of course, if you live in a rural area you won't find too many buses and the trains may not stop but that's to be expected.

The difference to the US is that in Europe you could take a car, if you wanted to (car isn't necessarily faster), while in the US you pretty much have to, even in larger cities.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

I was shocked (shocked!) to discover how dumb I was upon searching for the original to only find that -was- the original. My only comfort is that I'm not as dumb as the traffic engineer that signed off on that flagrant kickback to the cement plant, good lord.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Reminds me of this: https://www.google.com/maps/@19.7775615,96.1196801,308m/data=!3m1!1e3, which also belongs here for being utterly useless I suppose.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

wyntyr posted:

When I got my license in Georgia back in 96, the practical part of the driving exam involved a closed course with no real traffic. Just signs, cut outs of people, and cars in parking spots (several spots away from where I was asked to demonstrate my abilities). Basically no one is going to be told "okay now to be able to legally drive, go around the perimeter and then drive to Vortex".

Atlanta drivers are loving poo poo too. It's like someone excised the most tumorous growth in LA and airlifted it across the continent only to drop it in central georgia. it's great and amazing and i take solace in the fact that i am, by default, the best driver on the loving road simply by virtue of being from somewhere else

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst part about American public transit is the people who think it would magically be better if it was suddenly really annoying to drive yourself places. Can you imagine being forced to walk a few blocks in a shithole like downtown Sacramento or Stockton.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Bogan Krkic posted:

That wouldn't actually improve public transit though, it'd just make it better in comparison to driving which would become far more inconvenient.

Actually it would, because the biggest source of slowdowns for busses is double parked cars, and cars circling looking for spots. Correctly pricing parking alleviates both those conditions, partly by discouraging car trips altogether, but also discouraging storing cars in curbside spots. Variable pricing which responds to demand helps to keep spots open, so cars can park without searching endlessly, saturating roads to gridlock and blocking transit routes. Buses (and cars) move faster through their routes, decreasing total trip times and increasing total route capacity.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

pik_d posted:

Reminds me of this: https://www.google.com/maps/@19.7775615,96.1196801,308m/data=!3m1!1e3, which also belongs here for being utterly useless I suppose.

Hey, I just watched that episode of Top Gear. At least it's good for a game of football or racing lorries.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Seattle has objectively garbage public transit, people only take it because the city is also horrible for driving.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

drat NIGGA posted:

I want to get off Mr. Eisenhower's wild ride

Why is it still congested? Is it just the pure numbers of cars, making it inevitable that jams will happen? Are big cities with really huge population doomed to these kinds of traffic congestion?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

toanoradian posted:

Are big cities with really huge population doomed to these kinds of traffic congestion?
Sensible cities mitigate it with efficient mass transit or incentives to use bicycles, mopeds etc. It works poorly in the US though, where the general mindset outside of a few specific cities is that driving your car everywhere is a god-given right and mass transit is only for poors who can't afford a car.

Also many US cities are massive sprawls with low population density so building mass transit becomes very expensive in relation to how many people each stop's pick up area can cover.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 18, 2015

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The best thing is when they put in a subway and rich neighborhoods actively don't want access to it, because they all have cars, and if the subway were there then those people might have an easier way into their fancy urban enclave. DC has a couple spots like this, it owns.

I also kinda love how Baltimore has all of one subway line, but one end of it is a few miles from my house and the other end is a few blocks from my office. I have basically the only commute in the entire stupid suburbs where public transit works for me, and I use that poo poo every day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ANAmal.net posted:

The best thing is when they put in a subway and rich neighborhoods actively don't want access to it, because they all have cars, and if the subway were there then those people might have an easier way into their fancy urban enclave. DC has a couple spots like this, it owns.

Fewer stops for the rest of us.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I wonder how many small cities have good public transit?

Like, I went to Linuxfest Northwest in Bellingham, WA and their bus coverage is better than most cities'. Next year, I don't think I'll even bring my car.

I'm pretty sure anyone working days or in the downtown could go for weeks in between having to use a car. And if they don't mind bicycling, they probably wouldn't even need one. And it's just a college town of 80K. I wonder how many generally unknown cities with good public transit there are?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Accretionist posted:

I wonder how many small cities have good public transit?

Like, I went to Linuxfest Northwest in Bellingham, WA and their bus coverage is better than most cities'. Next year, I don't think I'll even bring my car.

I'm pretty sure anyone working days or in the downtown could go for weeks in between having to use a car. And if they don't mind bicycling, they probably wouldn't even need one. And it's just a college town of 80K. I wonder how many generally unknown cities with good public transit there are?

The fact that it's a college town is probably a major cause of a good bus infrastructure.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

padijun posted:

you might enjoy scenic anchorage alaska

no one else does, however

e: here's a close up the weird wedding cake in the middle

That looks kind of nice, tbh.

Of course, it lies at about the same latitude as me but doesn't have the gulf stream and sheltered location to moderate the weather, so I imagine it will be kind of dreary for half the year.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 18, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rah! posted:

The ones that are pretty good overall:

NYC
Boston
Washington DC
Chicago
San Francisco
Philadelphia

LA, Portland and Seattle have pretty good transit in some parts and bad public transit in other parts, as do some other cities. Everywhere else is complete poo poo with buses that come like once per hour, if they have buses at all. And outside of the big cities, high speed rail is considered to be an evil liberal communist gay illuminati conspiracy to enslave America.
Minneapolis is pretty good for public transit. Most of the bus lines come every 10-15 minutes and there's a stop every other block. We have the light rail too, which would be a lot better if they actually had a stop where people live. For me, I'd have to drive 15 minutes downtown, find parking (ahahahaha, parking in downtown ever :suicide:), then take the light rail for 15-20 minutes to get to work. Or I could just drive from my apartment to work and be there in 20 minutes. I guess it works better if you commute from suburbs to the city rather than the opposite, but hey at least going the opposite way means traffic is fairly light both ways.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hermsgervørden posted:

Variable pricing which responds to demand helps to keep spots open, so cars can park without searching endlessly, saturating roads to gridlock and blocking transit routes.

Yeah, but when Uber does "variable pricing which responds to demand," people lose their loving poo poo.

toanoradian posted:

Why is it still congested?

Braess's paradox.

There's a thread for traffic engineering in A/T.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 18, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2015/aug/18/preston-bus-station-design-makeover

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

drat NIGGA posted:

I want to get off Mr. Eisenhower's wild ride

Thought maybe that was the 401 in Ontario. Welcome to North America's widest/the world's busiest highway!

Marvel at its 18 lanes of traffic!

Gaze in wonder at its seemingly nonsensical design!

Get stuck on it for hours after regular 40+ car pile-ups (available between Windsor and London on a 200km stretch of road hell during the 90's)!

See it with only one car after they begrudgingly closed it only because a giant propane factory exploded!

Be caught in its endless road widening and resurfacing!

But seriously, getting stuck on the 401 heading through or into Toronto for like 2 hours is something almost every Ontario driver gets to experience at least once.

ghosthorse fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 18, 2015

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, but when Uber does "variable pricing which responds to demand," people lose their loving poo poo.

I might be concerned about that if people weren't constantly losing their poo poo over parking already.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Roy posted:

Genuine question. Where is the "hip" part of Houston? Is there any?

Austin?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

ghosthorse posted:

Thought maybe that was the 401 in Ontario. Welcome to North America's widest/the world's busiest highway!

:stare: Mother of God.

It baffles me that the powers that be didn't realize more lanes aren't going to help by 12 lanes or so.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've been doing DC without a car since the beginning of the year, and though I sort of cheat because I have a motorcycle, my wife does not and it's been fine.

Of course, we spend 80% of what we'd spend on a car riding Uber...

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I've been doing DC without a car since the beginning of the year, and though I sort of cheat because I have a motorcycle, my wife does not and it's been fine.

Of course, we spend 80% of what we'd spend on a car riding Uber...

Buy your wife a motorcylce, it's cheaper than the impending divore imo.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cleveland has what I consider good public transportation for its size (300k people). The issue is that so many jobs left Cleveland for the suburbs, and the transportation system is definitely not good in the suburbs. Cleveland has three train lines, and buses all over the place, with one rapid bus line that takes people from downtown to two main ares, Cleveland Clinic and Case Western. Train coverage could really use some improvement, but that is unlikely to change, and the buses only come every 15-20 minutes. If they got their poo poo together with actually charging people, they might be able to afford a better system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

:stare: Mother of God.

It baffles me that the powers that be didn't realize more lanes aren't going to help by 12 lanes or so.

The actual Sim City transit guy is probably on the board in Ontario

• Locked thread