Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I'm loving AstroNest. If anyone is still playing, please add me on IGN RapnerSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I played about the first twenty levels of Angry Birds 2. The thing that pushed me into uninstall mode was how the levels are randomized, with the same level potentially having wildly different layouts each time you play it. I noticed this when I failed a level in the mid-teens: the first time I played it (and failed) it had a couple of very squat pyramids made from sturdy hard blocks, which I failed; when I retried, it had a couple tall skinny towers that were made of lighter material that I could just blow through with a single bird and send everything crashing and exploding all over the place. Yes, really.

I was never super into this series, but crap like that is the antithesis of what used to be a pretty ethical and consistent mobile developer. Copying all of the payment "encouragement" systems from games like Candy Crush will probably make them a lot of money, but aside from being completely unethical they have also destroyed the gameplay of their flagship product. RIP Rovio?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Astronest would be better if you could quit the battle animation.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Rovio can probably coast for a good while. They have cemented themselves as good childhood memories for a lot of people. They sell angry bird toys, backpacks, gummy snack, and all sorts of other crap. They have a lot crossover games and small studios are lining up around the block to pay to have to have the angry bird logo tagged onto their game.

Rovio will probably enjoy a very slow death into nothingness.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have played at least a dozen games of Fallout Shelter, and everything always falls apart around 16-18 dwellers. Suddenly, I can't match any resource requirements, everyone's dying and full of radiation, when literally minutes before, they were all at full health and happiness. I've looked at all the guides, even the ones that are Starting, and they all seem to assume you have the population to have all the rooms unlocked.

Also, gently caress all the long rear end hard to complete quests you can't dump that pay out 25 caps. Really? Equip 3 vault dwellers with hunting rifles? That's a quest you'll give me right at the start?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I have played at least a dozen games of Fallout Shelter, and everything always falls apart around 16-18 dwellers. Suddenly, I can't match any resource requirements, everyone's dying and full of radiation, when literally minutes before, they were all at full health and happiness. I've looked at all the guides, even the ones that are Starting, and they all seem to assume you have the population to have all the rooms unlocked.

Also, gently caress all the long rear end hard to complete quests you can't dump that pay out 25 caps. Really? Equip 3 vault dwellers with hunting rifles? That's a quest you'll give me right at the start?

Go slower. Only add a dweller or two at a time and see how you fair for a while. Don't expanded as quickly as possible.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I've never played before launch, I read nothing, and I have thriving vault of over 30 Dwellers on my original game. I have no idea what you're doing wrong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shwqa posted:

Go slower. Only add a dweller or two at a time and see how you fair for a while. Don't expanded as quickly as possible.

I went really slow in the most recent reset game. I took 3 days to get to 16 dwellers. A friend suggested what I do is any extra people that are crummy just keep sending them out intot he waste land until they find something and recall them. Keep doing this over and over, because he thinks people in the wasteland don't consume resources.

A lot of the guides say you have to try to make all your rooms 3 wide, but I find in a lot of cases, resources are consumed faster than you can replenish them at that size. You make more per finished period, but you've consumed more than that, so you can never get ahead.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I ended up starting the game about five times, one thing to be careful for is expanding early. The first few objectives that give you a lunchbox (and a ton of extra caps) can make it tempting to overexpand. I got to an early equilibrium point with a dozen or so dwellers, then spent a good bit of time just farming objectives and caps, and upgrading the existing facilities. Don't put people in the residential areas unless you specifically want them to breed; that's one way to get quickly overwhelmed with useless mouths.

Does anyone know what affects combat other than the damage value of the weapon? Any of the stats? If I'm going to load up guards in the entrance with gatling lasers, does it matter if they're wearing guard armor or could they be wearing nightclothes for all it matters?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I ended up starting the game about five times, one thing to be careful for is expanding early. The first few objectives that give you a lunchbox (and a ton of extra caps) can make it tempting to overexpand. I got to an early equilibrium point with a dozen or so dwellers, then spent a good bit of time just farming objectives and caps, and upgrading the existing facilities. Don't put people in the residential areas unless you specifically want them to breed; that's one way to get quickly overwhelmed with useless mouths.

Does anyone know what affects combat other than the damage value of the weapon? Any of the stats? If I'm going to load up guards in the entrance with gatling lasers, does it matter if they're wearing guard armor or could they be wearing nightclothes for all it matters?

There isn't an armor stat for the little people so I assume the higher the level they are the tougher they are. I would just concentrate on equipping them with some high damage weapons just cause.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Endurance is the stat that helps with wanderers so maybe that helps with combat defense in the vault too?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does luck do anything? It would be logical if that helped your explorers find stuff or increase the success rate of rushing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

twistedmentat posted:

Does luck do anything? It would be logical if that helped your explorers find stuff or increase the success rate of rushing.

That's pretty much exactly what it does, at least in terms of rushing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
If any goons besides PeaPotSA are still playing Simpsons Tapped Out please add me. I need more friends! My name is the name as my forum name. Also any tips on making cash faster are much appreciated.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

It helps tremendously to read the advices on the loading screens.

Luck helps your explorers find better loot.

But most important luck is the main stat to gain caps. Each time you collect resources you have a chance to get up to 250 caps based on the luck of your workers.

I posted it before and I'm sure this is the correct way to play the game:

Rush all your rooms up to 50% failure probability. And don't neglect the importance of good loot so send your best characters from the lunchbox in the wastelands for at least 8h.

Don't leave the game on idle. Turn it off. Mr handy are useless anyway excepted as an additional fire extinguisher.

When your dwellers start getting radiation you should be able to build a laboratory. When your stock of radaway is getting full they will be healed automatically.

I think the most important factor is to have at least one rare character from an early lunchbox, preferably with high luck. Restart if you don't get one.

I'm getting to 65 dwellers and no that have all training rooms I can see how important luck is and why it's the last stat you can train.

Also you can reroll a quest once if you don't like but then you have to wait to reroll again.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

what I've found is not to run out of water power or anything else. you want to be well above the "danger zone" for each resource before you make a baby or get a new dweller. I expanded too quickly with my 500coin lunchboxes and ended up effed in the A because I couldn't create power, then water then food.. WATER is super important, run out and everyone goes to 1/2 health and 1/2 rad. If you dont' have a science room your screwed, because they are less happy, and less efficient.

Basically what I've found is when things start going wrong, you're destined for failure because it's really hard to recover.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
This is pretty much my experience. Im on my second vault with 27 peeps. Every resource is constantly full and maxed out and life is good. Just take it really slow at the beginning, build up your labs and cafes until you're comfortable. The only thing is that I don't have many weapons and i'm sure I will get invaded soon enough.

I got lucky and had a character with decent luck, and a suit which boosted that to nearly full. I send him out to the wastelands with a kickass gun i got on in a lunchbox.

If you want to be sneaky, you can forward the time on your phone by a few hours and see what they get.

I've had my high-luck character that came in a lunchbox stud all the women in the vault, dude has like 9 kids.

henpod fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 18, 2015

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Don't leave the game on idle. Turn it off.

You mean look force stopping it turned off or just main menuing it from your vault?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Something distressing I've found is that if a disaster hits an empty room, it spreads nearly instantly to more than one adjacent room. This means, if you have a cluster of empty rooms, a single disaster can explode into a huge portion of your compound. Pair that with how hard it is to select individual dwellers and see their HP bars during an event, and how they don't automatically use health packs, and you end up with disaster scenarios where huge numbers of people die from a single molerat invasion.

Don't let this be you.

It seems like random radroaches and molerats only appear in external rooms (can anyone confirm?) So I'm planning to redesign my vault to have rooms that tend to be empty (such as storage and living quarters) in the central column, and rooms that usually have workers (such as power plants and water production) on the outer walls.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

If any goons besides PeaPotSA are still playing Simpsons Tapped Out please add me. I need more friends! My name is the name as my forum name. Also any tips on making cash faster are much appreciated.

The only way to make real money is by building house farms, mine is in the upper right. Build a bunch with various timers like 3, 8, 12 hour ones, so whenever I log in one of those groups will be ready to collect. Careful though, after you build a certain number of them the price skyrockets.

Never, ever, use donuts to speed things up. Make sure "Confirm Donut Spend" in the settings is ON.

You can grab friends here, you don't need 100 people, 50 is good though:
http://tstofriends.com/ultimate-friends-list-are-you-worthy/#more-9987

Checking your neighbours daily will usually net you a donut or two.
Get a couple of free donuts using this:
http://tstoaddicts.com/2013/08/19/how-do-i-get-the-jebediah-springfield-statue/

The current event is building the Monorail!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mr Newsman posted:

You mean look force stopping it turned off or just main menuing it from your vault?

Doesn't matter as long as the vault isn't on idle. Unless you have mr handys and workers with high luck to farm money there is 0 incentive to leave the game unattended.

Everything timer related will still progress when out of the game. It's even easier to manage resources by rushing to replenish you stock then quitting the game for a few hours than to keep playing continuously because when you quit your vault resources will stop depleting past a certain point.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 18, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Blasphemeral posted:

It seems like random radroaches and molerats only appear in external rooms (can anyone confirm?) So I'm planning to redesign my vault to have rooms that tend to be empty (such as storage and living quarters) in the central column, and rooms that usually have workers (such as power plants and water production) on the outer walls.

The in game tips explains that they attack from rooms in contact with earth.

Seriously everyone should read these tips its basically the real tutorial.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The tips at the opening screen go by too fast to read for me, and then I've never seen one in the other loading screen that says either of those. It's always "Send dewellers into the wasteland!" and "your most important resource is power!".

I am so bad at visiting my friends in tapped out. Though I'm worse in Quest for Stuff, mostly because my friends all have the cool Star Trek stuff, which i lost because I never saved it on the cloud on my iphone.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The in game tips explains that they attack from rooms in contact with earth.

Seriously everyone should read these tips its basically the real tutorial.

So, if you have your elevators on the outer edges of your vault, do they only come in from the bottom?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Poopy Palpy posted:

So, if you have your elevators on the outer edges of your vault, do they only come in from the bottom?

If so, this would be brilliant. Seriously, gently caress molerats.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Light Gun Man posted:

In under you. My code is wx5MMYmH

did you get the invitation reward? I want to see if codes are case sensitive

b/c you can register with an e-mail you don't need to confirm from the garena site, making rerolling presumably super easy (no uninstall, hopefully first draws are randomized). If codes are not case sensitive (my phone auto-capitalizes everything) then I can spam people with goodies while doing so. bye

Update: this works, but I have yet to get anything above C from the two free gacha draws hmm

MPLS to NOLA fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 19, 2015

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

twistedmentat posted:

The tips at the opening screen go by too fast to read for me, and then I've never seen one in the other loading screen that says either of those. It's always "Send dewellers into the wasteland!" and "your most important resource is power!".

Same. Once I saw "Assign Dwellers to Production Rooms to obtain resources!" for the fifth time, I stopped paying attention. However, I did find this: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/223904/what-does-each-special-stat-in-fallout-shelter-do

quote:

Strength
Vault: Decreased timer while working in power plants
Wastes: Needed to pry open lockers and boxes. May also affect damage done by guns.

Perception
Vault: Hit chance in combat
Wastes: Find stuff like abandoned buildings

Endurance
General: Health points (inside or outside vault), resist radiation and damage

Charisma
Vault: Reduced time to getting women pregnant.
Wastes: Also chance of befriending people in the wastes (Gives the xp but no damage taken), Interaction with groups of slaves

Intelligence
Vault: Med-bay (Stims and Radaway) production timers
Wastes: Heal/help people

Agility
Vault: Food production timer
Wastes: Run away from unwinnable fights taking less damage

Luck
Vault: Also amount of caps earned when work completed (also random whenever you make the caps)
Wastes: Amount of loot found outside vault

Which also leads to a Google Spreadsheet that hasn't been updated since July, but is so full of :spergin: that I'm willing to take it at face value.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Handy!

Also, what the gently caress. Everything was going great, all my stores were maxed, gotten a gun for everyone. Close the app to answer a text, come back, everyones dead. When I left, everyone was okay, and now they're dead. What the gently caress? This game is loving with me.

I guess its okay, because my lunch boxes in this game were complete poo poo. Yes thanks for 500 caps, I already have nearly 9000 right now. What I could really use is a rusty laser pistol.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new PC and Android Humble Bundle out, with a trio of games making their Android debut. The games this time are:

Crimsonland
Neverending Nightmares
Beat Buddy
Fotonica
TinyKeep (beat the average)
Crowntakers (beat the average)
Monster Loves You! (beat the average)

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I remember playing Crimsonland on a lovely eMachine tower way back in 2003 when it first came out. It's great... Worth the BtA just on it's own.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

If it's like the other Fallout games, luck makes everything unexpectedly better and is just generally awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If it's like the other Fallout games, luck makes everything unexpectedly better and is just generally awesome.

I sent someone who had high natural luck out with the fancy merc suit which gave them even more, and after 20 minutes they had already found 2 outfits.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

In DQMSL, I managed to capture the event monster on normal difficulty after about ten tries. I gave it a good 20 or 30 tries on easy, so the odds of getting him there have to be very low. I was only able to do it by fully exploring for healing items and running away from monster encounters. The monsters guarding the boss himself are kinda tough and can spam annoying spells. Definitely want to bring a healing monster and a couple of strong attackers.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Pac-Man 256, the endless Pac-Man game inspired by and co-developed by the Crossy Road people is out now on the Play Store.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Pac-Man 256, the endless Pac-Man game inspired by and co-developed by the Crossy Road people is out now on the Play Store.

Initial impressions: overall I like it. The freemium stuff is very tame. There's one of those regenerating energy mechanics, I didn't realize this at first because I thought 'credits' and 'coins' were the same thing. It's not anywhere near as terrible or exploitative as some other games, but you can't play unlimitedly unless you pay or watch ads.

The second powerup I unlocked (freeze) is kinda meh because it can work against you if ghosts get frozen in ways that they block you from going forward, and also when the freezing effect wears off they resume going full speed and it'll catch you off guard if you're not watching the duration timer closely and skirting too close to a frozen ghost.

Also the hitboxes seem to be a bit bigger than expected, it throws me off since a near-miss with a ghost that I'd pull off in Pac Man Championship will instead kill me in 256.

wall monitor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 19, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

wall monitor posted:

There's one of those regenerating energy mechanics, I didn't realize this at first because I thought 'credits' and 'coins' were the same thing. It's not anywhere near as terrible or exploitative as some other games, but you can't play unlimitedly unless you pay or watch ads.

You've probably already found it but there's actually a "free play" mode that quickly unlocks that doesn't need any credits to play and you can still earn coins/pellets but you can't use any power ups. You still need a credit to continue if you die however.

quote:

Also the hitboxes seem to be a bit bigger than expected, it throws me off since a near-miss with a ghost that I'd pull off in Pac Man Championship will instead kill me in 256.

Same. I have particular trouble running into Pinky because he seems so much faster than the other ghosts. I think while I still prefer Pac-Man CE DX over this I'm appreciating 256 more and more as I continue to play it.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 19, 2015

Antezulu
Mar 18, 2015
Seems like there's a maximum amount of items a dweller can bring back from the wasteland in Fallout Shelter. I had left one person out because they had only used a few radaway and no stimpaks, despite already being out there for 12 hours or so. Well, 21 hours now and they're heading back because it seems they've gotten rid of some gear.

They're level 31 with T-51b Power Armor and a Fat Man. Works pretty drat well, good draws from my first few lunchboxes.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

It seems that a big part of getting good at Pac Man 256 is learning what each color of ghost typically does. Like the pink ones wait in ambush and charge in straight lines but then don't follow you; darker ones also wait in ambush, move slower but do keep following you, etc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really wish there was a chance you could loot weapons from the Raider attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Somehow Fallout Shelter is even less interesting with the hacked 420 save.