Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

And then I got to the end of the thread and cried rereading the post where I sold the only car that's ever treated me right. Then realised start to finish that entire train wreck was almost exactly six months from purchase to sale and distinctly remember owning it for over a year :stare:

I've been chasing that fix ever since.

I dunno, the honda and crown vic seem to have treated you well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

I dunno, the honda and crown vic seem to have treated you well.

It's like paying a dominatrix extra to make sure she wears the tungsten tipped high heels for your ball stomping session later that night and when you show up she's in sweats and slippers telling you she's really just sort of in the mood for some Gilmore Girls reruns

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

He's not wrong though, but I mean in the long run what are you going to do about it?

Destroy the bourgeois I say

Or become the bourgeois. More fun than wallowing in self pity about how unfair things are.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bootstraps, bitch!!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Hello, AI chat thread. I'm here to tell you, having a degree and being in a job where you're competent enough to have fun with your hands every once in awhile when necessary while still being paid to gently caress off at your desk a lot is the way to go hth

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SuperDucky posted:

Hello, AI chat thread. I'm here to tell you, having a degree and being in a job where you're competent enough to have fun with your hands every once in awhile when necessary while still being paid to gently caress off at your desk a lot is the way to go hth

I find self medicating and substance abuse issues coinciding wth living paycheck to paycheck to be far more satisfyung5

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

SuperDucky posted:

Yes, it is.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I find self medicating and substance abuse issues coinciding wth living paycheck to paycheck to be far more satisfyung5
I like ducky's plan better.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I can't take desk work. I would rather stab myself in the balls than sit at a desk

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

Yes, it is.

I like ducky's plan better.

Duck boys plan is for losers with 401ks and decent medical coverage

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I can't take desk work. I would rather stab myself in the balls than sit at a desk

Then get a standing desk. It's like you people don't even try. "We tried nothing and we're all out of ideas"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I work a desk job and its absolutely loving soul sucking. 90% of my day is spent staring at emails asking myself how people can be this stupid while wondering if I anybody will actually notice if I go for another smoke break.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

1500quidporsche posted:

I work a desk job and its absolutely loving soul sucking. 90% of my day is spent staring at emails asking myself how people can be this stupid while wondering if I anybody will actually notice if I go for another smoke break.

You've taken the wrong sort of desk job, friend.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Absolutely. I'm constantly applying for city government union gigs, I just want to get paid half decent and collect a pension that isn't a scam. Every day at work when the phone rings my heart drops thinking I'm getting a call back for an interview that is the ticket out of this hell.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

When I went to the Team O'Neil rally school for their winter safe course one of their instructors was a mechanical engineer but said he quit when he found out that he "Couldn't drive a desk very well." My new job will still have a desk and lots of paperwork but it least I'll get to crawl around submarines too.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sitting at a desk owns because one screen is for work and the other screen is for hearthstone

(Add me battle tag is TimJim)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I just spent 11-12 hours today, in the sun in Phoenix, ripping apart that goddamn bus. then trying to figure out where the oil was leaking from, failed at figuring it out (all the seals looked good), replaced the seals I got to anyway (oil filler tube, fan/crank rear seal, oil cooler seals), and just came in from a 3-hour reassembly (reassembly always goes faster, doesn't it) session where I didn't finish exactly but it's close enough. Now I'm going to find some clothes that aren't 50% by weight petroleum byproducts, and take the other acvw to walgreens to buy some substances (because circleK, while closer, is dirtier and you need to respek yourself even if you're going out for some booze or icecream or sumthing) and then contemplate how I could gently caress up reattaching the fan who's bolt may or may not be stripped.

Also gently caress the type 4 engine if I had a second beetle engine I'd rip that poo poo out right now and chuck it for $1k (because they're expensive as gently caress holy poo poo) on craigslist.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

14 INCH SLIT posted:

No other way to live. I wake up Friday morning between 6 and 7 am with a nice chunk of direct deposited change in the bank. By 730 am I'm back to being poor again.

Nothing made me more put out with life than working two jobs (7 days a week) only to end up not only still being broke as gently caress, but also owing the government a nice chunk of change. Then there's fucks who do nothing and get returns and it just pisses me way the hell off.

That being said, the jungle is neutral.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

When I was young, I swore that I loved not working at a desk job. Then when the economy crashed and I ended up working outdoors doing various construction things, it was fun for a while, but by the time I got to my mid-40's working in the dirt outside, in Phoenix in the summer was just loving poo poo piled on steaming hot poo poo.

Now I love my loving office job, I wouldn't trade it for an outdoors job for twice the loving money, and every time I walk to my car to go to a nice restaurant for lunch in 114 degrees it reminds me how loving lucky I am to be able to sit in a comfy chair in the air conditioning all day long.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

*high fives*

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

Don't think I've ever been told to be more cynical. Therapy?

No amount of "therapy" is going to change the fact I'm right about the world and how it really works. If anything I'm not cynical enough.

Tusen Takk posted:

He's not wrong though, but I mean in the long run what are you going to do about it?

Destroy the bourgeois I say

It's facinating to read how when the starving proles revolt and overthrow the bourgeois, after the bourgeois are shot, the next step is always the former proles pick a side and then both sides shoot each other while the proles left behind starve to death. Reading about Mao last night was just another example case in point - the Great Leap Forward = 70 million dead. Lenin and Stalin? 30-40 million. Pol Pot and the Killing Fields? Another couple of million. Just right there, more dead than WW1 and WW2 combined. And the list of dead from revolutions and reprisals just keeps growing, just in the 20th century.

Possibly a solution is to tell the old men to go gently caress off and fight their own wars, stop getting millions murdered over land, power and trade disputes (eg... that's the real reason WW1 got going, it was a loving trade and land dispute). It's not perfect by any stretch but throwing those cunts in an arena Thunderdome style and tell em to leave us the gently caress alone isnt the worst place to start. The real flaw is the paragraph above, some rear end in a top hat will take their place and start the shitshow all over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a lot of cool poo poo going on in my life but with the two cancer cases it's getting hard to stay upbeat.

I also had a really vivid dream about my girlfriend deciding she wanted kids and that kind of hosed up my brain a bit as well since I already left one woman who changed her mind after swearing she never wanted kids.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hey guys have you considered just not being depressed ? its easy!!1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

I can't afford anti-depressants as the "Affordable" Health care people terminated my coverage due to what they called fraudulent pay stubs. You know what I can afford? Rum.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
my misery just stems from the horrible sadness of not having someone around anymore :smith:

I mean yea the world is terrible and things like this are a part of the season why

Enourmo posted:

yes, i drink

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm not depressed because I had quite a productive evening. I changed the oil and the v-belt on the pickup, walked the dog, and now I'm trying to figure out what the christ is wrong with the memory on my 2m mobile radio (the battery backup isn't backing it up)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

SuperDucky posted:

+

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Welcome to aircraft maintenance. Especially avionics. I've known quite a few guys with the 2-o'clock-palsy who are living gods at what they do, where they can hear the symptoms of an obscure problem, and tell you what's wrong before you even walk out the door to troubleshoot it; because they troubleshot the same problem in 1990, dredged it up out of hindbrain, and they just wanted the problem to go away and go back to browsing craigslist.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Where the hell do I find a replacement screw for my key fob? I already tried the "unhelpful hardware folks" and gave up after the 90 year old working that section opened every single box they had. It's off an 05 Baja.

I've struggled with depression in the past, but therapy and time worked for me. I hated antidepressants, though. Made me feel like I gave even less of a gently caress than I did when I wasn't on them.

Anyway, gently caress being depressed when Demolition Derby was this sunday!Sunday!!SUNDAY!!! and my wife got me tickets for my birthday and it was Celtic Fest so I wore a kilt for the whole weekend while eating fried food and drinking beer and scotch.

Have some pictures of cars smashing into each other:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vacw8snghw

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

holy poo poo :perfect:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, by the time I finish this post, I'll be very close to being Looks like I turned 37 about 22 minutes ago. Technically I was born around 3:15pm (Mountain), but hey, your birthday technically starts at midnight anyway, even if you're not living in the same time zone anymore, right?

Happy birthday to me, I guess. :tootzzz:

37, and still stuck slinging pizza. At least the store I'm at knows how to schedule, and I make drat good money most days. $85 today, on a 5 hour shift, on a Monday open shift.. (honestly we could have used another driver for about an hour, but I snuck a couple of triples in)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What's going on in the world does blow. But at the same time, you can't fix every thing. Hell even the Republican party would call Jesus a liberal because he gave out bread. (and they love Jesus).... Long story short, the world is a very hypocritical place at times, but its learning how to manage it all.

I'm in debt, gently caress it, I'll work on paying it off. I'm kinda fat, gently caress it, I can exercise more. My cars aren't very fast, oh well, I'll work on making them faster.

Worry about your slice of the world. Once you have that slice fixed, then worry about the rest. If you can't, leave it to people that can.

I'm making pretty good headway in my debt, and finally making payments on my IRS debt. My views are much the same - I worry about myself first, but I also find that helping others can be very therapeutic as well. Even just a simple gesture such as, say, when i'm in line at the grocery store, I'll let someone with a couple of items go in front of me. Or stopping and helping someone change a flat tire.

Also making good headway on blood pressure, weight, and well, my car is an underpowered econobox, but it's still fast enough to get me a speeding ticket. It'd be fun to have something faster, newer, something that handled better, etc, but I have a reliable car that gets me where I need to go, and with the manual transmission, it's still a little fun to drive.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

And for god's sake, stop using Facebook if you are depressed. Not only people post their best moments in life on there because hey - look at me be jealous - but it also gives you insight on how stupid people are.

I don't even bother looking at my news feed. The only thing I use Facebook for most of the time is instant messaging.

corn in the fridge posted:

Hmmm this seems to me like a very destructive attitude and i have disagree completely

Honestly, I agree with everything he said. The only way to really deal with it is to accept it for what it is, and know there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

People have different ways of dealing with it, as no two people view the world in exactly the same way. I choose to accept what I cannot change, and not let it get to me - and if I can change something for the better, I make an effort to do so.*

*Refers a bit to The Serenity Prayer, commonly used at AA/NA/12 step meetings. I'm not the religious type, but I believe in the message behind it.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I'd put that around 2006-7 or so, just after the 2002, during the E30 era, and from memory mere months before the tale of Lowered Expectations. Possibly as late as 2008/9, I'd have to check dates on photos to be sure.

You were pretty cute back then. :wmwink:

BloodBag posted:

Oh gently caress yes! My plumber checked my house and the neighbor's and found her AC condensate line is plugged and leaking into both our places. Once she gets that poo poo fixed I'll let my insurance company know and they'll pursue hers. :toot:

How the hell does her a/c drain being clogged flood your place?

Are you in a condo / duplex / quadplex / whatever situation where you share a wall? Or is your place so close that it's pouring out of the a/c overflow drain from her house and soaking in under the walls of your place?

Beats what I went through at one apartment - the a/c tray rusted through, causing it to dump water into the ceiling, and I'd been complaining to apartment management for over 3 months before half of the bathroom ceiling collapsed while I was in the shower (they'd kept telling me they had a "3 month backlog" on ordering new drainpans, since they had to be replaced in every apartment). I finally called the city, they went to the apartment management and threatened to condemn the entire building unless it got fixed ASAP. They managed to find a new drainpan within an hour of code enforcement showing up, and I had a new (very badly done) ceiling in my bathroom a few hours after that. There was a shitload of mold up there from months of water dripping, and in that apartment (much like a lot of apartments), the "return air duct" was the ceiling, with a vent hacked into a wall above a door to hold an air filter.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You seriously need to get more cynical because bluntly put, what I described is exactly how the world works. You are a nothing, we all are nothings, the world does not give a poo poo about you or problems, evil fat fucks think of new and exciting ways for the young men to die, Huxley's Brave New World AND Orwell's 1984 have come true, politicans and corporations rule your life like the Kings and slavemasters of old... and you can do absolutly nothing about it.

That is the bitter, cruel and harsh truth of the world Mankind has created.

Now if you want my "Yours and Yours alone" opinion, I view that there are escapes that seem obvious but you dont realize how difficult they are until you try them. Mine is "Don't be an rear end in a top hat". The world severely tries my patience and temper even on the best of days to say the least.

I wouldn't quite go quite as far as you have, but I do (mostly) agree. The only way I can remain at peace with myself (and others) is to know there's not much I can do that would affect anything, except cast a vote whenever it's voting time. And at the federal level in the US, the "popular vote" (people's vote) doesn't necessarily count; the second Bush lost the popular vote, but still wound up in office. The people's vote does count at state/county/city/district levels, at least for now.

One way to put it into perspective - will people remember what I did in 100 years? No. Will people outside of my family even know my name in 100 years? I'd be surprised if more than a few people in my family remembered me.

I often introduce myself as "Hi, I'm Sean, and I'm an rear end in a top hat". I honestly quite the opposite with friends and even most people I've known more than an hour, I'd give them the shirt off of my back. But if someone is a jackass, I've already admitted I'm going to be an rear end in a top hat. And honestly, unless you know my weird sense of humor, I do come across as a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Tusen Takk posted:

Related: I cannot stop pooping today

Thanks to my stomach, I generally poop more than I pee.

I really should go get an endoscopy; it'd be nice to have a solid once or twice a day poop, instead of half liquid/half solid 6+ times a day that destroys every toilet I run into. Or at least know the reason behind it. But I switched doctors a month ago... and I'm switching again after I caught my new one doing insurance fraud, they're billing for stuff they never did. My therapist is helping me find a new PCP that (a) accepts my insurance (being an HMO, I'm pretty limited) and (b) will prescribe the medications I need, since their staff doctor doesn't accept my insurance (the IOP facility as a whole does, I happen to have the only insurance that the facility accepts that their staff psych doesn't accept).

I see someone lost his berries recently.

mungtor posted:

Then get a standing desk. It's like you people don't even try. "We tried nothing and we're all out of ideas"

I would love to try a standing desk to be honest. I'm tempted to grab some cinder blocks and toss my desk* (a cheap plastic folding table) on them. My chair is literally falling apart anyway, it's a nearly 10 year old Ikea chair that's missing the armrests, with shredded leather. I could possibly raise the desk enough that the adjustable height on the chair could make up for it if I get tired of standing.

I prefer to either stand, or sit with my legs crossed in my lap ("Indian Style" as they called it when I was a kid, I'm sure that's not PC anymore). I dislike sitting in general, I'd rather be on my feet, or sitting with my legs crossed as mentioned above - barring that, give me a couch to lay down on. Sitting "normal" like most people sit in a chair just feels unnatural and uncomfortable to me.

1500quidporsche posted:

At my last desk job, I usually stood and walked in a small circle while on calls, once I had looked up account info, as long as I didn't need to do a remote desktop session. I got yelled at by HR several times for that, but it was much more comfortable for me to just stand up and walk around a little bit while talking to the customer, as long as I kept the headset wire clipped to my shirt and didn't wander off far enough to pull the phone off my desk (I could get about 2 cubes away, and the two neighboring ones were empty). Plus it gave me at least a LITTLE exercise.

Tusen Takk posted:

Sitting at a desk owns because one screen is for work and the other screen is for hearthstone

You can easily put 4+ monitors on a standing desk.

QuarkMartial posted:

No other way to live. I wake up Friday morning between 6 and 7 am with a nice chunk of direct deposited change in the bank. By 730 am I'm back to being poor again.

My employer is torn between direct deposit and "pay cards" (they actually polled each employee in the franchise). I bitched about the fees that usually go along with pay debit cards, but apparently the owner of the franchise, if he goes that route, will go with cards that have little to no fees for the employees.

I would much rather have direct deposit for obvious reasons. I think pay debit cards are a huge scam, and I'm pretty sure they'll cost the owner a hell of a lot more than direct deposit (and employees, since the only way you can truly get every single penny out is to know exactly what your balance is and charge that amount - it also makes it drat near impossible to move anything into a savings account). Any idiot can get either a checking account, or something close enough to one to where you can take a picture of a paycheck and deposit it to your prepaid card of choice (Serve, etc) or take it to Walmart if you have one of their prepaid cards.

Currently they print their own paychecks using a laser printer, so their only real cost (outside of labor to load the checks into the printer, the toner, then sort them by store) is the blank checks, and a courier to get them to each store in the area (8 of them locally, about 300 across the state). Direct deposit or pay debit cards will remove the courier fees (they'll be doing what Papa John's did, and doing away entirely with paper checks - either pay card or direct deposit, no other option) and reduce the costs down to just a processing fee for the deposits.

Rhyno posted:

I can't afford anti-depressants as the "Affordable" Health care people terminated my coverage due to what they called fraudulent pay stubs. You know what I can afford? Rum.

:smithicide:

I just got my subsidy increased back to roughly where it was last year, just by scanning a couple of recent paystubs. Even if I do wind up underestimating, my former employer withheld WAY too much, so I have over a $600 refund coming from 4 months of working for them alone, according to the IRS W4 calculator.

Now to find a doctor that isn't trying to scam the system, and one that actually accepts HMOs... :sigh:

Dannywilson posted:

Welcome to aircraft maintenance. Especially avionics. I've known quite a few guys with the 2-o'clock-palsy who are living gods at what they do, where they can hear the symptoms of an obscure problem, and tell you what's wrong before you even walk out the door to troubleshoot it; because they troubleshot the same problem in 1990, dredged it up out of hindbrain, and they just wanted the problem to go away and go back to browsing craigslist.

Guy who sat next to me when I was in school (currently on an extended leave of absence for rehab) works in aircraft - construction, actually. But he could name so much poo poo that sounded incredibly complex, and name something simple to fix it. He was both in assembly and QC, IIRC.

No idea why he wanted to go from that to I.T., he would be taking a decent paycut for at least a few years.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 18, 2015

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

37, and still stuck slinging pizza. At least the store I'm at knows how to schedule, and I make drat good money most days. $85 today, on a 5 hour shift, on a Monday open shift.. (honestly we could have used another driver for about an hour, but I snuck a couple of triples in)

Nice. I don't know what it is about Mondays but they seem to get all the good tippers for whatever reason. Did 90 on a close shift today. Sightly annoying in that half of it was the last two hours before closing time when I was the only driver but I'll take it. Also a customer figured out that a 90 minute delivery time means we don't actually want to take the order and called me out on it when I showed up in 30. :v:

Oh, and congrats on turning 37. :toot:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No amount of "therapy" is going to change the fact I'm right about the world and how it really works. If anything I'm not cynical enough.

In my head I can picture you yelling this at me. You're standing too close, I can see spittle leaving your mouth and you have a deranged look on your face.

Really it's just boring to talk about world views, especially when it's not like that's what people are coming here to learn about. I think we can do better guys! Or is this what we're left with when we have too many megathreads?

I mean, come on, you're making corn in the fridge's low effort posts not look like a bad carbon copy of bape culture's posts! :v:

Anyone besides me really curious to see what the Roadkill magazine is going to be like?

Thread saved? I'm pretty sure that guy is more committed to KSP than I am to anything.

Happy Birthday STR!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
http://www.masqueunauto.com/english/

Free badges for your 'toyota'

My buddy had a set sitting on his table so its legit.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
good morning everyone i hope you all slept well

i know i did 😊

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sleep is for the weak

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
good sleep is essential for maintaining ones health and mental well-being

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Counterpoint poo poo starts getting all sorts of entertaining once you pass that hundred hour mark

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

corn in the fridge posted:

good morning everyone i hope you all slept well

i know i did 😊

I can't get up in the morning cause I suck at dropping off to sleep lol

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not hard to wake up if you haven't slept by definition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A lot of people down on antidepressants ITT, but that's cool. Not everything works for everybody.

Week four of Lexapro, and I feel better, flirting with a cute girl, and I haven't had the urge to commit suicide for a week now. It's amazing how good it feels to not have that particular monkey on my back.

• Locked thread