Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm no Star Wars expert, but didn't the empire get blown up in the last movie? Why is there still a resistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The empire didn't get blown up, the emperor did. In the 30 years since the movie, the empire has reformed into the First Order, and the forces assembled against them are (collectively known as?) the resistence.

Thats all we know, whether the resistance inlcudes any new republic or anything like that is completely up in the air at this point

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

fadam posted:

I'm no Star Wars expert, but didn't the empire get blown up in the last movie? Why is there still a resistance?

Death Star was lost, but that whole fleet was still mostly intact and could've bailed out once the rebels broke the Empire's shiny new toy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

fadam posted:

You're asking a bunch of questions about a story and movie that isn't slated to be released until December.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Oh man, that looks really cool. It fits too as wave 9, since I think they announce waves as the previous one releases and wave 8 is very soon, and it takes about 6 months for a wave to release after the announcement. I can't wait.

(Edit: I bet FFG was waiting until wave 8 actually released, so at most this was early by less than a month tops)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Panzeh posted:

I have a feeling that x-wing is gonna be pretty pricey.

21 pts

0 pt title to mod the old x-wings to have Boost

alg posted:

now which one has the X-Wing fixes

:getin:

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Oh, I didn't notice Wave 8 is supposed to come out Q1 2016. So we might have to wait longer for this maybe, unless their slipping this in between like the Imperial Hunter, which wasn't part of a wave I think. (My guess this is what it will be, siucne they want to time it with the movie release, also Christmas.)

Also, looking at the dates for fellow math nerds. it looks like time between announcements and release is between 4-6 months (average 4.833). And time between a release and announcement. (average of 1.14 months)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This is probably for Force Friday Sept 4

(they said as much at GenCon)

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Local store is doing a 400pt 2-player Epic tournament next month. Since it's more for fun than competitive, I kinda want to put as many buffs in for the CR90 as possible, and would love advice on what to add. I was thinking Jan Ors HWK, Dutch Vander Y Wing, Biggs X Wing, Ethan Abaht E Wing... Really, what's the stupidest combo you can make at 400pts?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

susan posted:

Local store is doing a 400pt 2-player Epic tournament next month. Since it's more for fun than competitive, I kinda want to put as many buffs in for the CR90 as possible, and would love advice on what to add. I was thinking Jan Ors HWK, Dutch Vander Y Wing, Biggs X Wing, Ethan Abaht E Wing... Really, what's the stupidest combo you can make at 400pts?

Are youn in my area? My local store is doing exactly the same.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
33 tie fighters/z95s

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

willus posted:

33 tie fighters/z95s

Sadly, acccording to the rules you only can have a max of 8 of the same ship.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

bunnyofdoom posted:

:smith:

susan
Jan 14, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Are youn in my area? My local store is doing exactly the same.

Olympic Cards and Comics in Lacey?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

susan posted:

Nope. The Armoury in Gatineau. So, I guess great minds think alike.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

susan posted:

drat, it is a small world. I just got sucked into the Tuesday night fun times at Gabi's myself!

It's interesting that they seem to be changing up the damage deck in the new set, and a boosting x wing just seems like too much fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The new core set should be released immediately after the new movies so they can fill all the B&N and Target aisles with it. Looks like all new asteroid fields too. :peanut:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Some lists that will fit:
  • 8xLN 8xOmicron (or 8xTempest) 7xAlpha (w/up to 5 AT)
  • BBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAA (or Ax7 w/ autothrusters)
  • BBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZXXXXXX
  • 8xZ (feedback) 8xThug (w/ autoblaster + unhinged) 8xCartel Spacer
  • 4xIG (kitted to 200) 6xZ 6xThug (auto+unhinged)

Shooting last against other swarms might suck!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 18, 2015

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Stickman posted:

Some lists that will fit:
  • 8xLN 8xOmicron (or 8xTempest) 7xAlpha (w/up to 5 AT)
  • BBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAA (or Ax7 w/ autothrusters)
  • BBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZXXXXXX
  • 8xZ (feedback) 8xThug (w/ autoblaster + unhinged) 8xCartel Spacer
  • 4xIG (kitted to 200) 6xZ 6xThug (auto+unhinged)

Shooting last against other swarms might suck!

i like you

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Things about the new X-wing that have me drooling for joy.

3 green forward
Native boost action (authothrusters! :toot:)
That template has a 2 s-loop printed on it. Maybe?
3/2/3/3 stat line.
Unique pilot that can use a hard 1 when boosting.

I'm just waiting for it to be like 30 points. :smith:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

Things about the new X-wing that have me drooling for joy.

3 green forward
Native boost action (authothrusters! :toot:)
That template has a 2 s-loop printed on it. Maybe?
3/2/3/3 stat line.
Unique pilot that can use a hard 1 when boosting.

I'm just waiting for it to be like 30 points. :smith:

That does feel very E-wing-ish price-wise. I doubt it'll be less than 25 points.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Honestly I'd be pretty goddamn ecstatic if it was 25 for the lowest PS generic.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Panzeh posted:

That does feel very E-wing-ish price-wise. I doubt it'll be less than 25 points.

To be fair, the basic X-Wing is overpriced for what it is. This is adding a 3 green (okay, but not something massively impressive, a shield, and the boost action. 24-25 wouldn't be unreasonable. Compare to a Star Viper which is 25 points (and overpriced imo).

Edit: the E-Wing is also overpriced by a point or two TBH. Corran is the only one worth taking.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Gate posted:

To be fair, the basic X-Wing is overpriced for what it is. This is adding a 3 green (okay, but not something massively impressive, a shield, and the boost action. 24-25 wouldn't be unreasonable. Compare to a Star Viper which is 25 points (and overpriced imo).

Edit: the E-Wing is also overpriced by a point or two TBH. Corran is the only one worth taking.

The starviper's definitely overpriced, particularly on the generics. I think FFG tends to be cautious when costing ships(scyk, e-wing, starviper are notables), though, so I doubt it'll be less than 25.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

wave 7 shipping

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Question: Does Dutch Vander's ability work on the CR-90? I'm a little unclear on what counts as a 'Free Action' and is therefore not allowed.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dutch's ability isn't an action, it's just a free target lock. No action mentioned.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Strobe posted:

Dutch's ability isn't an action, it's just a free target lock. No action mentioned.

Excellent... Tentative 200pt list (my brother/teammate will have the CR-90 under his control):

Etahn A’baht + R2-D2 + Push the Limit + Engine Upgrade (43)
Biggs Darklighter (25)
“Dutch” Vander + Ion Cannon Turret (28)
Jan Ors + Ion Cannon Turret (30)
Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit + Autothrusters (17)
Gold Squadron Pilot + Ion Cannon Turret (23)

So, lotsa attack dice, lotsa target locks, lotsa crits, lotsa harassers, lotsa Ion, and Biggs takes a few hits for the CR-90 before he goes down while hiding behind it at 3 Agility. Should theoretically work/be fun maybe? Suggestions for changes because I have no idea what I'm doing?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A friend just linked me these

Did the opening crawl for the new movie just get leaked on this packaging? That first paragraph seems like the first and last parts of the opening crawl with some character specific mentions and plot points removed from the middle.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
There's a wonderful rant about the leak on the FFG forum and it's the most amazing bit of nerd rage i've read in quite a while.

quote:

(Forward to moderator and admin personnel. I understand if this thread needs to be removed, locked, or other wise resolved. But I feel it in the best interest of reminding the community of some nuances of its self sanctified motto "Fly Casual". I write peacefully and with full responsibility. Thank you.)

I am so beyond disappointed in so many of the community right now. No, this is not a troll thread. It's my opinion, which I'm leaving in this forum for you to take or leave as we all do here in the interest of upholding the great community that we have built. For those involved with the initial leak, and more so with everyone who through social media and other outlets continued it, what the hell were you thinking.

Disney, and FFG, basically designed for us a Christmas in September. And you all blew it. Here we all are thinking and speculating and about it having a good time. Planning midnight release parties. Dreaming of what could come. And then bring up the web to be bombarded with a two week premature death of what was going to be the best day in gaming of the year, if not the decade. Because many of you didn't have the common courtesy to even put the, should have been obvious, Spoiler tag in your thread titles or use the spoiler function in your posts.

I'm sure many of you are going to reply to this thread saying things like:
It's no big deal
Everyone already knows
It's not our fault/problem

That in mind, you all need to understand something. Those are all false statements. X-wing is an international game. Your part of a community that numbers tens, if not hundreds of thousands. So yeah it's a big deal.

No everyone doesn't already know. UNTIL you tell them! And the responsibility is on us to keep the secret IF we find out some how. So yes it is our fault. It is our problem.

Once those boxes left FFGs factories and warehouses and offices, who's job do you think it was to keep it under wraps? Disney and FFG? Get real man, they don't have the manpower to post guards on every product. The shipping companies? They don't care what's in the box. The stores? They have instructions they pass down but they aren't under any obligation per se to enforce it in any wa except to guard their reputation. You know who that leaves? Us, the consumers. It was our job to not look in the box, and let the mini holiday we were going to be given just happen.

It was simple guys: Don't. Look. In. The. Box. That's it. But I'll give you this one cause I know it's hard to not look. OK so you looked. No big deal. Really. Until you go blabbering about it with out telling people 'hey, spoiler alert!'. Okay so maybe you got excited and forgot to say heads up. That's understandable in a way. But then you just put the guy or gal you told in the same situation. Now they got to deal with keeping the secret. And on goes the chain.

Now this is where you could have flown casual. Secret surprise in a box? Fly casual, don't look in it. Looked/caught a peak/completely ripped open the package and threw the contents under a microscope? Fly casual, keep your mouth shut. Somebody tells you what's in it after they looked? Ooh well, sad for you, happy for you, but fly casual, don't repeat it. It was all our job to maintain the gift for those who wanted it. Even if you weren't interested in it. And it wasn't even an imposition. Heck, you actually spent more energy spilling the beans than if you had just kept it under wraps.

You were offered a experience of a lifetime in gaming. A hundred percent covert release with out spoilers and you blew it. Not just for your selves, but for anyone who even just lurks on these boards. And further caused a nightmare for the companies who were trying to do something nice for you, as they frantically have to try and another it if for nothing else then forms sake. Is this really how you thank the makers of your favorite game? Not to mention the company that owns the IP and came up with the whole idea? By spurring their gifts for you? And all the effort it has taken to create that? I feel sorry for the ones who won't get that experience thanks to a few, at this point many, select words of your choice that botched the whole thing.

Well congratulations those involved. You just won the prize for losing the hardest in my book. So go ahead, bring your hateful and resentful posts to berate my opinion. Wantonly post spoilers to reiterate my point. I'll sleep soundly tonight knowing that I didn't perpetuate this travesty. That I stood on my principles and said my piece with dignity. I wonder, though I am not asking, not do I care to know the answer even. But I wonder how you will all sleep tonight.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

But my surprise :qq:

Guy probably still believes in father christmas.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:eyepop:
I never really cared about finding and consuming spoilers or other small tidbits but I don't write papers about it either. I've always hated the trend of grainy cell phone pics made by a distributor or store, though. Like, oh man, you got your hands on product. Congrats.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is the new Core set going to be announced in September 4th, or actually in stores for sale on September 4th? Has that been leaked yet

That rant seems to imply that sales were going to start on the 4th.

I hope it is later on, as I want a couple weeks to mess around with Wave 7 and the TIE Advanced title before having to add in Wave 7.5 (or whatever they are calling it).

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
it was a gift to you, that you could have bought for sixty five of your own Australian dollars

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Orvin posted:

Is the new Core set going to be announced in September 4th, or actually in stores for sale on September 4th? Has that been leaked yet

That rant seems to imply that sales were going to start on the 4th.

I hope it is later on, as I want a couple weeks to mess around with Wave 7 and the TIE Advanced title before having to add in Wave 7.5 (or whatever they are calling it).

Nobody knows

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If I want to proxy some upgrade cards for casual play are there any good resources I can use or do I basically have to guerrilla style print them off of the wiki?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I don't even know what a better option would look like. You just type the name of the card you want and there it is.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
TIE fighter expansions are half off at miniature market for the summer sale thing if anyone wants to get their swarm on.

I checked the whole sale list and that was the only X Wing related thing I saw on sale.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
Looking for some storage options.

I currently play the Imperials, but with the devistator and the Lamba I am having a little bit of an issue storing and transporting all my ships. Anyone come up with a reasonable solution that doesn't have me purchasing the foam cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope you saved your plastic cases. I used to have a cutout of them inside a toolbox before I won a foam bag from a regional.

• Locked thread