Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

LOL Trump doubles up Bush on who is best to handle ISIS 32 -16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!
It's still bullshit, at least out of context. You're an official seeking higher office meeting with lobbyists, but you're treating them with contempt instead of offering to let them write legislation because they don't have money.

Maybe it reads better in context. Like if she offers some ongoing engagement with her campaign or closer ties to the party to begin promoting and enacting tangible
reforms in tandem with shifting the political climate around the issue, then she's just explaining that they're a lobby group that she's willing to work with even though they don't have a ton of money.

It's probably bad if there's that much ambiguity left over in a wall of text like that, though.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

babypolis posted:

that article is trash from an actual trump supporter and general facist lover

i dont think hes that smart. i mean hes obviously inteliigent but his success comes from being a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat who actually had the money and power to back off his silly posturing. and americans love a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat who "tells it like it is"

You have described literally millions of people, but this dumb guy you are describing, uniquely among them all, has ten billion dollars.

People like Trump have made their fortune off people like you underestimating them. Every "misstep" right now on his part, and every misstep towards him on the part of his opponents has been calculated. Don't kid yourself into thinking Trump is a mean-spirited dummy - that's a character he plays to great effect.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mirthless posted:

You have described literally millions of people, but this dumb guy you are describing, uniquely among them all, has ten billion dollars.

People like Trump have made their fortune off people like you underestimating them. Every "misstep" right now on his part, and every misstep towards him on the part of his opponents has been calculated. Don't kid yourself into thinking Trump is a mean-spirited dummy - that's a character he plays to great effect.

Considering people talking about their personal relationship with the Donald reinforce the mean spirited blowhard part of his personality I'm going to say that at least is real. His "positions" and posturing are probably just good theater though.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Well yeah Trump is probably still a jerk. Just saying, the dude projects the image of somebody in way over his head, it's easy to forget he's probably rich for a good reason. Nobody becomes a self made billionaire on accident

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Vince Foster White Water Benghazi emails that the GOP insist broke some rules/laws that weren't even in place until after she stepped down as SoS.

Clinton is the posterchild for "look at all these scandals (that are trumped up garbage), she must be dirty!" While Trump would just blow them off and talk poo poo about how the people bringing them up are a bunch of pathetic fuckers Clinton won't for better or worse.

Okay let's review:

David "more like betray us" Petraeus - Federal criminal conviction for keeping a few handwritten notes that contained classified information securely locked up in his house.

Hillary "is 44" Clinton - Hundreds if not thousands of emails with classified information on potentially insecure server at her house, connected to the Internet 24/7. "Trumped up garbage guys come on"

The Benghazi angle is just icing on the cake - Christie made the point yesterday that people would have rightly lost their poo poo if he'd had direct oversight over which emails went to the people investigating bridgegate. This is even worse because relevant emails have been cropping up by subpoenaing their recipients that somehow ended in the Clinton "delete, low level format, nuke hdd from orbit" pile.

Keep minimizing and defending this bullshit, her approvals haven't gone from 60s to 30s because of Fox News viewers.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Sinestro posted:

That's a willfully odd reading of that quote. She clearly means that they deserve more than they'll get if they just speak out and fail to interact with the actual framework of law.

Dogstoyevsky posted:

I think that's either an error in transcription or a verbal slip on Clinton's part, the jist of the quote is clearly: we need legislative priorities. She's asking BLM for political proposals I think.

No, I totally understand what she's trying to say. But why would you say it that way?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Mirthless posted:

Well yeah Trump is probably still a jerk. Just saying, the dude projects the image of somebody in way over his head, it's easy to forget he's probably rich for a good reason. Nobody becomes a self made billionaire on accident

Does inheriting a large real estate company count as being self made now? And his father, oddly enough, benefited a ton from the federal government, primarily the FHA. Can read more here

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mirthless posted:

Trump is not a "self-made" billionaire.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

FairGame posted:

No, I totally understand what she's trying to say. But why would you say it that way?

Watch the video, it makes a bit more sense if you do. I get what she meant to say--

quote:

But if that’s all that happens, we’ll be back here in 10 years having the same conversation. We will not have all of the changes that you deserve to see happen in your lifetime. [End clause.] [These changes that you deserve to see happen in your lifetime] because of your willingness to get out there and talk about this.

i.e. you deserve to see these changes because you're speaking out.

It's just a bit clumsy because she's speaking off the cuff.

Edit: obviously the sentiment is a bit off, but it's not like apocalyptically lovely or anything IMO.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

It's still bullshit, at least out of context. You're an official seeking higher office meeting with lobbyists, but you're treating them with contempt instead of offering to let them write legislation because they don't have money.

Maybe it reads better in context. Like if she offers some ongoing engagement with her campaign or closer ties to the party to begin promoting and enacting tangible
reforms in tandem with shifting the political climate around the issue, then she's just explaining that they're a lobby group that she's willing to work with even though they don't have a ton of money.

It's probably bad if there's that much ambiguity left over in a wall of text like that, though.

Luckily, you can read the context for yourself instead of simply speculating on what it might be.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mdemone posted:

Trump is not a "self-made" billionaire.

Yes, he is. He started with millions, turned them into billions. The difference between the numbers is pretty staggering, but the way you goons are framing it, the only thing keeping you from being richer than Trump is your starting point rather than your business savvy.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Hodgepodge posted:

Bear in mind it's a transcript of a personal conversation. Take any accurate verbal transcript of a complicated discussion and it'll be a loving mess. People, not even veteran politicians, talk in neat little clauses and tied-up thought packets when they're engaged in actual human interaction. There's a whole side of it we're not getting by not being in the room, hearing the tone, seeing the expression. I'm not saying this to defend Hillary exactly, it's possible she delivered it like a robot, turned around and walked off. But I think looking at any conversation transcript and complaining about it being messy and poorly delivered is dumb; that's how humans talk.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Look I don’t believe you change hearts. I believe you change laws, you change allocation of resources, you change the way systems operate. You’re not going to change every heart. You’re not. But at the end of the day, we could do a whole lot to change some hearts and change some systems and create more opportunities for people who deserve to have them, to live up to their own God-given potential, to live safely without fear of violence in their own communities, to have a decent school, to have a decent house, to have a decent future. So we can do it one of many ways. You can keep the movement going, which you have started, and through it you may actually change some hearts. But if that’s all that happens, we’ll be back here in 10 years having the same conversation. We will not have all of the changes that you deserve to see happen in your lifetime because of your willingness to get out there and talk about this." ~ Hillary Clinton, part of the full transcript of her meeting with Black Lives Matter activists.

That's actually a very good way of putting it. Un-scripted? She knows it by heart by now?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

That's okay, you're not alone in being bright enough to hear the words he's saying and realize that on their face they're often nonsensical, but not bright enough to grasp what he's really doing and saying.

This is a short article summing up some of it up.

I agree that Trump probably isn't going to actually win enough votes to go anywhere, or that if he begins to the GOP will probably sacrifice the election by going scorched earth on him and his base, but he really is more intelligent than all the other doofuses in the Republican primary. Depending on how the economy and the conflicts in the Middle East go over the next few years he may end up winning in 2020 if he's really serious about this.

quote:

I also saw some Internet chatter about the idea of picking Mark Cuban as Vice Presidential running mate. If that happens, Republicans win. And I think they like to win. There is no way Trump picks some desiccated Governor from an important state as his running mate. I think Cuban is a realistic possibility.

I might for real leave the US if this happens. Cuban needs less power, not more. Dude is a piece of poo poo.

Although, it'd be funny if Hillary chose Castro as her running mate.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Keep minimizing and defending this bullshit, her approvals haven't gone from 60s to 30s because of Fox News viewers.

It's almost like approval rating is largely tied to whether someone is running for office as a partisan and how visible that person is within that context! Also her approval is more like 40%

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So Hillary vs Trump would be an election between candidates >50% americans hate

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mirthless posted:

Yes, he is. He started with millions, turned them into billions. The difference between the numbers is pretty staggering, but the way you goons are framing it, the only thing keeping you from being richer than Trump is your starting point rather than your business savvy.

Trump has actually lost money if you compare to where he would be if he'd simply parked his whole inheritance in an index fund and forgotten about it.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 18, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Okay let's review:

Hillary "is 44" Clinton - Hundreds if not thousands of emails with classified information on potentially insecure server at her house, connected to the Internet 24/7. "Trumped up garbage guys come on"

I wasn't aware there was any number attached to how many potentially classified emails were on the server, this sounds like news.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

6:30pm. We in 'MERICA don't cotton to yer crazy hours higher 'en 12. Ain't natural. Ain't in the Bible.

In my defense, the sign doesn't say that...

Also, 'cotton'? I've tried pronouncing it in my head with several different drawls and accents, but I can't figure out which word you're going for there.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Look I don’t believe you change hearts. I believe you change laws, you change allocation of resources, you change the way systems operate. You’re not going to change every heart. You’re not. But at the end of the day, we could do a whole lot to change some hearts and change some systems and create more opportunities for people who deserve to have them, to live up to their own God-given potential, to live safely without fear of violence in their own communities, to have a decent school, to have a decent house, to have a decent future. So we can do it one of many ways. You can keep the movement going, which you have started, and through it you may actually change some hearts. But if that’s all that happens, we’ll be back here in 10 years having the same conversation. We will not have all of the changes that you deserve to see happen in your lifetime because of your willingness to get out there and talk about this." ~ Hillary Clinton, part of the full transcript of her meeting with Black Lives Matter activists.

LOL.

Same old, same old, the Democrats will N-E-V-E-R actually do anything because they like things just the way they are. They're real good at whispering sweet nothings and collecting votes on election day. Meanwhile iron-fisted control and ZERO Republican roadblocks mysteriously aren't enough for them to do jack loving poo poo in many places.

Look at the Democrat's current joke of a POTUS candidate - Martin O'Malley.
Governor of Maryland for 8 years, 2007-2015.
423rd through 427th assemblies - State Senate - 33 Democrats, 14 Republicans. State House of Delegates - 104 Democrats, 37 Republicans.
428th through 431st assemblies - State Senate - 35 Democrats, 12 Republicans. State House of Delegates - 97-98 Democrats, 43-44 Republicans.
Mayor of Baltimore - Democrat. ZERO Republicans on the city council since 1942.

Gee Golly, I bet Baltimore is a bastion of progress for Black Americans. Those mean ol' do-nothing Republicans didn't have a shred of power while O'Malley was running the entire state. The mayor is always a Democrat, the entire city council is always made up of ONLY Democrats, and their wonderful, progressive Democratic party has a stangle-hold on the state assembly, with the Republicans being the minority in both the Senate and House for almost AN ENTIRE CENTURY (1917 was the last time the GOP controlled a majority - in the House of Delegates).

When good ol' Martin O'Malley was governor, this man who is totally qualified to be President and a real go-getter, I'll bet black lives REALLY mattered and things were just so swell. I'll bet the loving, caring, Democratic party used their iron-fisted control of the city (AND state) during all those years to really make a difference. I'll bet that today, the government schools that black families have no choice but to send their kids to are a model for the nation. I'll bet SAT scores and college admissions for the community are sky high. I'll bet that economic prosperity is blessing them all thanks to the Democrats. The neighborhoods probably look like something out of Leave it to Beaver. Crime is probably non-existent. Employment is probably through the roof.

I'm sure black Americans living in Baltimore are totally bewildered by the black lives matter movement. They probably don't understand how educational and economic outcomes for their fellow black Americans can still be lagging so far behind, because THEY have been blessed and privileged to live in a Democratic Party wonderland.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

richardfun posted:

In my defense, the sign doesn't say that...

Also, 'cotton'? I've tried pronouncing it in my head with several different drawls and accents, but I can't figure out which word you're going for there.

It's a uniquely southern way of saying "we don't put up with/take kindly to"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Okay let's review:

actually, her approvals are in the low 40s :smug:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trump has actually lost money if you compare to where he would be if he'd simply parked his whole inheritance in an index fund and forgotten about it.

Bingo. The richer you are when you start out, the easier it is to get even richer by just sitting on your rear end, and the more time you have to sit on your rear end, the more money you'll make. There's definitely a certain amount of money beyond which any more money you make has very little to nothing to do with how good you are at making money and more a factor of just having a shitload of money and the system being rigged in your favour.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mlmp08 posted:

Also known as "no one gives a poo poo about your Facebook likes and YouTube hits if it doesn't result in actual legislative action or court victories."

Pretty much what I've been saying, and I have no illusions about my political brand as a :newt:ish condescending white man.

Hillary's gotta embrace the gonzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIX0BIuRYGo

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Tonk posted:

I might for real leave the US if this happens. Cuban needs less power, not more. Dude is a piece of poo poo.

Making White House meetings with lobbyists public and streaming them like episodes of Shark Tank would be amazing

So you say Black Lives Matter...I think you're still in the early stages of a concept I can't get behind. I'm out.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Mirthless posted:

It's a uniquely southern way of saying "we don't put up with/take kindly to"

Ah. Learn something new every day I guess.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

babypolis posted:

that article is trash from an actual trump supporter and general facist lover

i dont think hes that smart. i mean hes obviously inteliigent but his success comes from being a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat who actually had the money and power to back off his silly posturing. and americans love a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat who "tells it like it is"

:lol: This is extremely high level and intelligent analysis from forums poster "babypolis" who can't even spell fascist

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I wasn't aware there was any number attached to how many potentially classified emails were on the server, this sounds like news.

They're about 1/5 of the way through the emails she didn't delete and have found 305 emails with potentially classified information.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

They're about 1/5 of the way through the emails she didn't delete and have found 305 emails with potentially classified information.

It really is a non-story if you are at all familiar with how higher ups generally handle classified info and gently caress up regularly.

As long as it wasn't stolen or given to people who it shouldn't have been, no one should really care. You have morons sending this kind of poo poo through their gmail account and worse. Though to be fair the insistence that she did nothing wrong and the stubborn resistance in not giving govt. investigators access only made it worse.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trump goes after Frank Luntz

quote:

Donald Trump’s feud with GOP pollster Frank Luntz escalated Monday – with Trump calling on Fox News to fire Luntz from overseeing its post-debate focus groups, and Luntz launching a profanity-laden tirade to describe the real estate showman turned renegade presidential candidate.

In an interview with POLITICO, Luntz said Trump — and Democratic presidential insurgent Bernie Sanders — are “delivering a big ‘f—- you’ to the elites in America.
Story Continued Below

“And that resonates on both sides,” Luntz said. “But ‘f—- you’ doesn’t solve anything. ‘F—- you’ doesn’t make life any better. ‘F—- you’ makes you feel good, but it doesn’t get you where you need to go. ‘F—- you’ doesn’t make America strong. ‘F—- you’ doesn’t solve anything.”

Trump responded by accusing Luntz of harboring a long-held vendetta because Trump refused to do business with Luntz’s polling firm.

“I caught him cold,” Trump told POLITICO. “And frankly, if I was [Fox News President] Roger Ailes, I’d fire that guy so fast for what he did that his head would spin.”

Monday’s war of words, another chapter in a series of Trump vs. Luntz moments, was touched off when POLITICO asked Luntz about private comments that seem to call into question his objectivity as the man who facilitates the focus groups that appear on Fox News.

Luntz has insisted in an interview with Business Insider he has nothing against Trump and is only interested in accurately assessing the race.

But sources told POLITICO that, in the days before the Aug. 6 Fox News presidential debate where a Luntz-run focus group panned Trump’s performance, the pollster told a closed-door gathering of major conservative donors in Southern California that Trump was dangerous to Republicans and was “turning what we believe into a joke.”

People present at the gathering, which was organized by the political network helmed by billionaire industrialists Charles and David Koch, said Luntz argued that Trump is not a true conservative, but is “addicted” to the limelight and is likely to become increasingly enticed by the prospect of launching a third party presidential bid the longer he stays in the race.

I hope Trump nails that fucker to the wall :dance:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's no real way to know if her server was ever hacked or not unfortunately.

I think the media's main issue is actually that unlike the real state department emails, they never got access to Hillary's.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

greatn posted:

I think the media's main issue is actually that unlike the real state department emails, they never got access to Hillary's.

If logging was setup properly you would see the server access.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mirthless posted:

This reminds me of that senator who was railing against a raise in the minimum wage because "I used to make two dollars an hour in 1956, and that was plenty of money to live on", or whatever she said.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Joementum posted:

Yes, her point is that raising awareness isn't enough. The whole transcript is worth reading.

This is especially poignant after the death of Julian Bond, who successfully parlayed a school cafeteria sit in in college to being nominated for VP on the convention floor by age 27. (yes, he wasn't actually old enough to hold the office)

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

The media's main issue is "Is this the Next Big Clinton Scandal we've all been hoping for? Can we finally take Hillary down with this? Huh? Can we? Oh please oh please".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

FWIW, while the whole Email thing seems extremely incompetent, she wasn't intentionally passing secret documents to her lover to keep that sweet sweet affair going and to get a super glowing biography.

loving Petraeus, man.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Mirthless posted:

Nobody said it was by accident, but if you think he couldn't gotten anywhere near his current wealth without having a wealthy father and upbringing then you're incredibly delusional, plain and simple. Otherwise you'd have to claim his business savvy is somehow inherent.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

greatn posted:

I can't be arsed to pay attention to yet another HRC scandal, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

fosborb posted:

This is especially poignant after the death of Julian Bond, who successfully parlayed a school cafeteria sit in in college to being nominated for VP on the convention floor by age 27. (yes, he wasn't actually old enough to hold the office)

All that stuff happened after months/years of raising hell, though. Rosa Parks didn't have any agenda other than "I can sit where I want on a public bus." The agenda of the BLM folks in that transcript is to get Hillary to acknowledge that there is a direct, unambiguous line running from her support for the racist prison and criminal "justice" system to the deplorable state of affairs today, and that action on that must be taken. That is a clear goal, a clear plan, a clear articulation of what Hillary--the person who seeks the power to do it--can pledge to do.

• Locked thread