Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Michi88 posted:

So I gave the Montana another go, and I am alittle sad to say, that playing it as a mid- long range sniper works.... I feel... dirty.

I don't have it yet but it feel a bit under armored. The Yamato seems like a funnier T10 with his armor and secondaries.

Also why are there so many Yamato but so few Izumo in games...it seems Amagi evolve directly into Yamato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, I'm trying to join SEAMN, but apparently my EU account is not known to the NA website. Is there a workaround for that or am I locked to EU?

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

Krogort posted:

I don't have it yet but it feel a bit under armored. The Yamato seems like a funnier T10 with his armor and secondaries.

Also why are there so many Yamato but so few Izumo in games...it seems Amagi evolve directly into Yamato.

Yeah, i havent played it enough to feel it out, but it does seem like it should be an armored beast not just a slightly bigger Iowa. I think you can do better with Montana, but the Yamato is just funner?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Zo posted:

If hes playing dd hunting in a nicholas that's over two minekazes killed per match!

Actually that has to be what's happening since i have much higher average damage in my minkaze but slightly less average exp (unless premium/first win influences those stats)

What talking about Exp gains people should always mention the base exp, which unfortunately does not show on the main AAR screen but you can find it on the team scoreboard.
Wargaming should really add the base exp to the main screen, and then show which multipliers are active.

When playing US destroyers I spend the whole earlygame to actively hunt enemy DD's, preferably IJN but I'll chase the US too. This might not give me the best personal exp but keeping those enemy DD's in check can really makes it safer for your big friends.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Think I hit the point where I am struggling to enjoy carriers. I love that US fighters at the same tier will murder jap fighters but I really really hate dive bombers because they don't do jack poo poo for damage. So I am stuck with 1 fighters and one torp plane. Running no fighters has been suicide every time I have tried it. Any advice (besides go Japanese)

Also applied (again) to SEAMN in game name Nastrado

Raged fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 18, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Raged posted:

Think I hit the point where I am struggling to enjoy carriers. I love that US fighters at the same tier will murder jap fighters but I really really hate dive bombers because they don't do jack poo poo for damage. So I am stuck with 1 fighters and one torp plane. Running no fighters has been suicide every time I have tried it. Any advice (besides go Japanese)

Are you on Bogue? Hold out, as the US Carriers do gradually get better. Once you get Independence, you get double the reserve planes, become a lot faster and have a 1/1/1 build. US fighters get a big jump in speed, HP and damage at tier 7 as well. Bogue is probably one of the more frustrating carriers to play in the US line.

Once 4.1 goes live carriers will always get matched with other carriers. This makes 'fighter' heavy carriers a little more useful.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
Any word on when gold and free xp integration with Tanks goes live? I'm not exactly over the moon about driving a stock Fuso, for example.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Panfilo posted:

Are you on Bogue? Hold out, as the US Carriers do gradually get better. Once you get Independence, you get double the reserve planes, become a lot faster and have a 1/1/1 build. US fighters get a big jump in speed, HP and damage at tier 7 as well. Bogue is probably one of the more frustrating carriers to play in the US line.

Once 4.1 goes live carriers will always get matched with other carriers. This makes 'fighter' heavy carriers a little more useful.

I hope they fix the carrier imbalance in matchmaking. It's kinda ridiculous and almost a guaranteed loss when you have a carrier disadvantage, especially at lower tiers where you don't have much aa, so unless the other team is extraordinarily bad, you can expect to be harassed freely by torps all game long.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I have added everyone who recently applied to SEAMN. Anyone who applied during 'the dark days' your application expired due to WG's inability to deal with our clan name/description issues in a timely manner. Please reapply and I will take care of it before they re-write the rules to accommodate us as rule breakers.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Kuntz posted:

Any word on when gold and free xp integration with Tanks goes live? I'm not exactly over the moon about driving a stock Fuso, for example.

any day now, honest

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krogort posted:

There are so few Izumo because it's a terrible ship. Judging by datamined player stats on the SEA server, it's literally the worst ship in the game. I believe someone a few pages back mentioned that he'd messaged the players he knew with a Yamato about what to do with the Izumo, and they were saying with dead seriousness to free exp/buy your way past it. It's just plain terrible.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Izumo is a tier nine punching bag with no redeemable qualities other than it is one tier away from the Yamato. This is the feedback I have gotten from everyone I know that has played through it. By played through I mean gave up and blew all the free xp they could to save them from having to endure more time in it.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

demonR6 posted:

I have added everyone who recently applied to SEAMN. Anyone who applied during 'the dark days' your application expired due to WG's inability to deal with our clan name/description issues in a timely manner. Please reapply and I will take care of it before they re-write the rules to accommodate us as rule breakers.

reapplied as BItterBeard

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

Bitter Beard posted:

reapplied as BItterBeard

Accepted.

Also I loving love my Omaha. I'm never selling it.

Seekhay fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 18, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Proving once again that no matter how hard you carry, some teams just do not want to win. 182k damage loss. I killed the enemy Ranger within the first 5 minutes of the game by rushing from SW to SE. Unfortunately the battleship morons starting in SW went NW and derped into Aoba and Myoko torps with a side of Cleveland fires.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Raged posted:

As someone who has suffered this same experience, I'd say there really is no good solution here. If you go with the fighter loadout, you can get consistent (but low-ish) XP by killing off their aircraft and making efficient use of your dive bombers. If you're paired with another carrier, try to piggy back on their air strikes. If their torps/bombs hit and cause fire/flooding, most players will pop their repair right after to stop the damage. This is when you can step in with your bombers to start another fire, which if allowed to burn can actually do respectable damage. This concept also works with ships that are slugging it out with your allies or who recently disengaged from a fight. These make good targets for DBs.

Mainly with dive bombers, I'll try to focus on just getting in as many drop attempts as possible. With torp planes, it sometimes takes a little extra time to finesse a good manual drop, but for dive bombers, I usually just auto attack those fuckers and keep on moving. I'm sure in the hands of a good player, you could consistently hit with 4-5 of your bombs on each manual drop, but I've found the auto attack reliably gets 1-3 hits, especially on larger ships. Your mileage may vary, but that strategy has worked okay for me. :shrug:

If you stick with 1 fighter and 1 torp bomber, you've just got to get really good with your torp bomber. You can also focus on improving your basic CV tactics, like learning to maneuver close enough to the enemy for damage efficiency but far enough to not get murdered. It also helps to pay attention to exactly which ships on each team have good AA, for the purpose of avoiding damage and for defending your planes through allied AA protection.

grrarg posted:

Which destroyer, Minekaze or Nicholas? They require different tactics. Upload some replays to Dropbox so goons can give feedback.

I'm using the Nicholas. I mean, obviously I'm not the world's greatest botes player, but I manage a decent 55-60% win rate in the Omaha and only do just under 25k average damage per game in it. So it seems weird that 22.5k damage in the NIcholas nets a 25% win rate.

It could just be small sample size (like 30 battles in each ship), but it seems like I'm just doing damage to the wrong players at the wrong times and so don't have a positive effect on the battle. Although on the hand, I'm probably overthinking it, and I should probably just focus on doing a whole shitload more damage. I'll see if I can get some replays uploaded sometime.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cknoos posted:

Accepted.

This guy is going places.. what's your IGN so I can promote you to something more fitting.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

demonR6 posted:

This guy is going places.. what's your IGN so I can promote you to something more fitting.

I's be Seekhay emissary of all hot shots.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is three games in a row I've had 4 torpedo bomber wings go for my Kuma. I don't know why they keep cross-dropping my T4 light cruiser whenever I get into T6 games.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Is the secondary range and accuracy upgrade worth it for cruisers for AA or should I stick to the accuracy mod for main guns?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

This is three games in a row I've had 4 torpedo bomber wings go for my Kuma. I don't know why they keep cross-dropping my T4 light cruiser whenever I get into T6 games.

Probably because you don't have much AA to speak of while T6 cruisers, Cleveland especially, can actually shoot your squadrons out of the sky would be my guess. Easy target so to speak.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

axelord posted:

Is the secondary range and accuracy upgrade worth it for cruisers for AA or should I stick to the accuracy mod for main guns?

Depends on how much you hate things in the air, and how (in)accurate you main guns are.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

axelord posted:

For secondaries? No. AA Range is an ok choice for the Pepsicola and later US CAs, as they get some pretty crushingly strong short range AA, and it extends the reach of your 5 inch guns so you can better protect your allies with Defensive Fire. AA range is less desirable on the IJN CAs, since their AA is a bit weaker, but both IJN and US can always go with the fire control mod for better sniping of citadels.

Speaking of cruisers...

Highlights are the Des Moines complaining about how they didn't stand a chance of winning and blaming MM. Except for the whole "5 CAs vs 4 DDs" thing. I guess sometimes you have to be ferociously bad.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pubbies, I can only do so much! 120000 damage. 120000 damage! I cannot do more, pubbies! How do you lose this!?

In other news, the Kongo is amazing.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cknoos posted:

I's be Seekhay emissary of all hot shots.

Seekhay you shall henceforth and hitherto be known as 'Personnel Officer Seekhay, Wrangler of Drunken Seamen'.. go forth and spread your news.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

This account is at 42% (39% in its highest tier ships) and averages less contribution per game in them than an average SEA player in a tier 1. It's not a bot but I doubt an idle bot would do any worse. Anything much below that 39% is probably from bad player divisions or small sample size.

You're at the average player range in all those ships, so unless you're playing in divisions a lot both the 25% and 60% win rates are probably flukes.

Just deal more damage if you want to win more, unless you specifically try to damage farm without helping your team it'll improve. It's not easy to get high damage per game without helping your team win. Apropos of nothing, try firing more AP at equal- or lower-tier cruisers in your Omaha.

Hazdoc posted:

For secondaries? No. AA Range is an ok choice for the Pepsicola and later US CAs, as they get some pretty crushingly strong short range AA, and it extends the reach of your 5 inch guns so you can better protect your allies with Defensive Fire. AA range is less desirable on the IJN CAs, since their AA is a bit weaker, but both IJN and US can always go with the fire control mod for better sniping of citadels.
There's a less obvious advantage to AA range on Japanese cruisers. They only have the 25 mm guns for light AA, so besides the DP guns all their AA has 3 km range. It's less total damage than US AA, but US ships have lots of 20 mm guns with only 2.1 km range. On some Japanese ships the DP+25 mm guns actually have more damage than the DP+Bofors on their US counterparts.

With advanced firing training or the AA mod the 25 mm guns have better range than unupgraded Bofors. You still don't have the damage from the 20 mm guns, but in a lot of situations (especially when your ship isn't the one being bombed) you're out of 20 mm range anyway.
It's also possible that 25 mm guns with AFT and the AA module have enough range to benefit from AA barrage.

Granted that's a better argument for Advanced Firing Training on Japanese cruisers than for the AA module.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
So is the B hull on the Nicholas worth the loss of a turret? I like the sound of the faster torps, but I also like sending IJN DD's to the bottom with guns. How bad is the dropoff in firepower?

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

The Minekaze is fun and good

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

TSBX posted:

So is the B hull on the Nicholas worth the loss of a turret? I like the sound of the faster torps, but I also like sending IJN DD's to the bottom with guns. How bad is the dropoff in firepower?

It looks like the ROF boost from the upgraded guns should more than make up for the loss of the turret.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Polyakov posted:

It looks like the ROF boost from the upgraded guns should more than make up for the loss of the turret.

I think we all know better with WG but with the loss of the turret and increased ROF did they decide to sneak in a 'lets dick with the accuracy because hilarity!'

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Re-Applied as Astroniomix.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Welcome aboard filthy SEAMN.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
:toot: Progress

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't understand how I can kill 4-5 of the enemy team and my pubbies can still fold so completely. The Kongo's might is immense, but I fear it has cursed me for my hubris with the dumbest pubbies on earth.

Also, I hit a Furutaka 5 times in one volley with it at 5km and every shell did no damage. That was astonishing.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

cknoos posted:

Accepted.

Also I loving love my Omaha. I'm never selling it.

I'm horrible with the Omaha and I just want to get through it to the Cleaver. Help me UNDERSTAND!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm horrible with the Omaha and I just want to get through it to the Cleaver. Help me UNDERSTAND!

You must dance. Dance for your life. You are a better armed, somewhat tougher Phoenix. Play it like one and you will find joy, victory, and dead botes.

Seriously, though, the thing has a great ability to fire while going directly forward or backward and it's fairly nimble, use this for power.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

Dark Helmut posted:

Step 1: Load AP
Step 2: Shoot cruisers in their meaty citadels
Step 3: Profit!

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Night10194 posted:

You must dance. Dance for your life. You are a better armed, somewhat tougher Phoenix. Play it like one and you will find joy, victory, and dead botes.

Seriously, though, the thing has a great ability to fire while going directly forward or backward and it's fairly nimble, use this for power.

I play BBs and CVs a lot and conversely I'm bad with DDs and cruisers so I've got to get better with them since I need breaks from the hellish grind through the Colorado and Lexington.

I will try this "dance" that you speak of.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dark Helmut posted:

I play BBs and CVs a lot and conversely I'm bad with DDs and cruisers so I've got to get better with them since I need breaks from the hellish grind through the Colorado and Lexington.

Is the Lexington bad? What's wrong with it? Is it just that it always gets shat on by IX-X boats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dark Helmut posted:

One thing to try is, remember how CAs will dodge your shots in a BB? How they suddenly change direction and can change speed fast? Do the things CAs do that most annoy you when you're in a BB and you will find joy.