Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I wonder if Sony will publish P5 in the EU. It would make sense, they need some Christmas exclusives over here, and ATLUS sure as hell aren't going to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

littleorv posted:

What would you call it? It's the loving Atlus tax.

Tom Clancy's THE ATLUS IMPERATIVE

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Free the Games, Persona 5 coming to OUYA

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Everytime I think about Persona 4, I remember how underused that "REACH OUT TO THE TRUTH" theme is.

All the truths that they learned in the game is inane as hell, who the hell cares that you hate the countryside or that you're passive aggressively controlling your friend.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tired Moritz posted:

or that you're passive aggressively controlling your friend.

Which one was that? I've forgotten

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Bowl cut girl.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

littleorv posted:

What would you call it? It's the loving Atlus tax.

It's the price of all the quality voice acting in a 3DS game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Excels posted:

that already came out and the diehards have already beaten it 100% i'm sure

I'm like 35 hours in and apparently like 30% of the way through the main story

And they just added New Game +. And there's DLC coming.

Also it's probably the most I have ever enjoyed an open world game. Like I don't give a poo poo about Fallout 4 of Xenoblade Chronicles X anymore because I'll just play more Witcher 3.

Persona 5 is different though I wanna play more 100 hour games

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Snowcow posted:

There weren't many PS3s sold in Japan at that point and a pretty good amount of them were backwards compatible anyway. It's a niche series in the west (even more so back then) so a PS3 version would have been a waste of money for sure.

Yeah I got a PS3 for MGS4 in like, September 2008 and ended up playing Persona 4 on it more than anything else as soon as that came out

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cdyoung posted:

I'd call it the price of a translated game.

I don't really care if the games are a little more expensive because I like them enough to pay the price, but it's not some bonus charge for the translation. They don't even charge more for every game; pretty sure the Arena games were at most $60 on release.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

cdyoung posted:

I'd call it the price of a translated game.

I wish game companies would just translate games and not bother doing the voice acting. Seems like that would shave off a huge time and resource sink for localizing games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress no. A game like Fire Emblem Awakening would be way worse off without the English dub.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

No voices = more dialogue tree options = better than

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

No voices = more dialogue tree options = better than

that doesn't matter when they're translating a game that already had voiced dialogue

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ban full voice acting. flavor clips only

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Terper posted:

gently caress no. A game like Fire Emblem Awakening would be way worse off without the English dub.

Well I meant more for games that would otherwise not get released at all. I'm sure any fan of Japanese games would settle for translated text and JP voices over no localization ever purely because of the cost of voice actors

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

I wish game companies would just translate games and not bother doing the voice acting. Seems like that would shave off a huge time and resource sink for localizing games.

You know what would also save that time and money? Not localizing them. We should just do that because some people like to ask for loving stupid things.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like beyond the fact that some Japanese companies specifically ask for dubs of the games, the process of localization is not even taken up that much by voice acting. That is a separate thing entirely from the rest of the process since there are people specifically hired for that part of things. It does take more money yeah, but that's a dumb thing to bitch about in an industry where everything costs an arm and a leg to do.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Save money on voice acting by outsourcing to Sentai Filmworks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please never use Houson voice actors unless they're Brittney Karbowski.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A game that is not dubbed will lose sales. This may or may not be an issue but you never know when a seemingly minor game will blow up.

Persona 3/4 is a great example because having a dub was pretty essential to it doing reasonably well because a sub-only release would have scared some of its audience off and left it as even more niche than it already is. You can skip a dub if you know you're not even going to attempt to sell outside that audience but you might regret it later.,

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Have everyone voiced by Yuri Lowenthall.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

Have everyone voiced by Yuri Lowenthall.

Yuri Lowenthal for male characters, Steve Blum for females

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Licensing jp voices is more expensive than a dub or flat out impossible some of the tine

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Voice Acting: It's For Chumps.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Voice Acting: It's For Chimps.

I think we've cracked the code, people.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Volt Catfish posted:

Which one was that? I've forgotten

2nd worst waifu

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

quote:

M: Is a PC release impossible?

J: Depends...do you have ready access to an infinite improbability drive?
From AtlusUS.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I get that the 2015 date for Persona 5 is confirmed, but what is actually known about the game? I remember:
- four party members, one of them a cat
- there are Personas
- students by day, cat burglars by night
- you are to steal back your future

Is there any more info about battle system, S.Links (are there any?), costumes, general gameplay?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Szurumbur posted:

I get that the 2015 date for Persona 5 is confirmed, but what is actually known about the game? I remember:
- four party members, one of them a cat
- there are Personas
- students by day, cat burglars by night
- you are to steal back your future

Is there any more info about battle system, S.Links (are there any?), costumes, general gameplay?

I think the best we can say about the party members at the moment is that there's at least 4. I'd expect there'll be more than that.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I can't believe I'm considering getting a PS4 just to play Persona 5.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I can't believe I'm considering getting a PS4 just to play Persona 5.

Isn't it also on PS3?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Isn't it also on PS3?

I can't believe I'm considering getting a PS3 just to play Persona 5.

EDIT: Atlus, please port to PC.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Most ps3 games worth playing are getting or already have enhanced ports on ps4. Might as well just get the new poo poo.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
If P5 on PS4 runs at even just one more FPS or performs in any way better than the PS3 version I'm getting a PS4. I'm ashamed of myself for that, but that's the truth of things.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

If P5 on PS4 runs at even just one more FPS or performs in any way better than the PS3 version I'm getting a PS4. I'm ashamed of myself for that, but that's the truth of things.

It'll likely be identical to the ps3 version except it runs at 1080p. Maybe cynical but it wasn't announced for ps4 initially.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

It's going to have one hundred extra costumes. They will all be Sanic t-shirts.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

projecthalaxy posted:

It's going to have one hundred extra costumes. They will all be Miku t-shirts.

ftfy

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

EDIT: Atlus, please port to PC.

As someone who's already had to get a Vita for P3/4 and is probably getting a PS3 for Arena, I concur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted: