Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Nonetheless, this was in a few months making and Oliver is the best guy to pull off a "let's start a mock church" without coming off as a punchable :smug: atheist.
The fact that he's not really criticizing Christianity, but a few exploitative assholes inside it has a lot more to do with this than it being John Oliver. I think a lot of religious folk could watch that kind of segment and come away with a pretty clear idea of who the assholes are in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Ya'll motherfuckers need Satan.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That's a sweet story about him and his wife, I'd never heard that before.

On a less sweet note, I feel a little conflicted about the people getting hosed over by these televangelists. There's a part of me that thinks if you're that stupid you kinda deserve it. I know ignorance can come from outside factors, it isn't something people necessarily choose, but just...goddamn. It's obviously extra hosed up to be promising cancer cures, but if you're clearly just funding private jets for God...

So many sweaters!

(Jumpers.)

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Ya'll motherfuckers need Satan.

Please don't take the motherfucker name in vain.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

That's a sweet story about him and his wife, I'd never heard that before.

On a less sweet note, I feel a little conflicted about the people getting hosed over by these televangelists. There's a part of me that thinks if you're that stupid you kinda deserve it. I know ignorance can come from outside factors, it isn't something people necessarily choose, but just...goddamn. It's obviously extra hosed up to be promising cancer cures, but if you're clearly just funding private jets for God...

The thing is that it's not really like the lottery, where everybody knows the odds are incredibly slim but wants to hope anyway. Televangelists will tell people that their "donations" will pay off WITH CERTAINTY, and if they don't it's just because they haven't given enough. It's easy to say "well only stupid people fall for it", but that's not actually true. There are a lot of reasons why even smart people can have blind spots when it comes to certain topics and religion is one of the bigger ones. One of the bigger issues is that for a lot of people who can't afford it, they do it because they really DON'T have any better options in their life and they'll jump at something that seems like it might, because it's easier than trying to figure out what to do when you can't do anything. Of course it won't work, but even a smart person can be willfully ignorant as a defense mechanism against giving up hope altogether.

What makes these people monsters is that they know all of this and deliberately prey on it; they intentionally reach out to people who have run out of options and act as if they're the easy solution they've been looking for to get that money flowing in.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Josh Lyman posted:

Was there a content reason for filming it twice or maybe something technical like bad video/audio?

They said it was because they wanted to get different camera angles. Content-wise the two takes weren't really any different, but John and Rachel were mostly ad-libbing their lines which is why I felt one was funnier than the other.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

VagueRant posted:

So many sweaters!

(Jumpers.)

Sorta feel the same, on the one hand I don't want to victim blame, but on the other hand they are the ones stupidly sending their money to these guys in the first place of their own choice.

It's like trying to feel sorry for someone who sent 3,000$ to a nigerian prince.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Sorta feel the same, on the one hand I don't want to victim blame, but on the other hand they are the ones stupidly sending their money to these guys in the first place of their own choice.

It's like trying to feel sorry for someone who sent 3,000$ to a nigerian prince.

But religious people are often indoctrinated from birth to believe things like this. It wasn't like they chose to made to believe at a young age in biblical inerrancy. And it is an extension of this that causes them to believe that preachers are somehow blessed by God and able to things like this. Its like blaming someone who was on the internet for the first time and told to invest in the Nigerian prince by friends for falling for the Nigerian prince thing.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 18, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The only difference is that the televangelists found a legal way to con people out of their money.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The people who pay for these scams might also have children (like that goon a couple pages back) so even if you are jaded enough to be cool with assholes praying on the gullible and misfortunate, there's no excuse for taking food out of children's mouths.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Openly exploiting naive and/or desperate people should probably not be allowed, or even rewarded with tax exemptions. It's a bit too much like social darwinism

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Conning cancer patients out of money isn't something I'd put down as "Oh well the stupid fuckers deserve it" and more deliberately exploiting people at their most vulnerable.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Kenneth Copeland bilked my dementia-ridden grandfather out of a ton of money, leaving my grandmother with crippling debt and working for minimum wage at 75 years old.

I hope Kenneth Copeland and his dumbass wife get hosed in hell with a bicycle made of fire and nails forever and ever amen.

I have known about and hated Kenneth Copeland for 12 years. I will not actually know true happiness until I know of his end.

E: He literally believe that a) his brain would get better and b) if he "claimed it" then God would give it to him. Because Kenneth Copeland and that disgusting bag of surgically tightened flesh he pals around with "claimed" their riches. I was 17 when my grandfather, on a postman's pension, wanted me to take him to the Mercedes dealership where he tried to purchase one without financing. As he tried to "claim it" like Kenneth "claimed" his loving jet and millions of dollars from people who are literally mentally ill, I had to call my parents to come pull him out of the dealership physically where he proclaimed that none of us would ever see heaven since we didn't allow him to do what God wanted.

We committed him on my 18th birthday.

gently caress gently caress gently caress KENNETH COPELAND

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 18, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Krowley posted:

Openly exploiting naive and/or desperate people should probably not be allowed, or even rewarded with tax exemptions. It's a bit too much like social darwinism

I'm not saying these scammers shouldn't be punished, just that it's really stupid that these people are giving their money to the blatantly obvious scams in the first place, even if they think they need the false hope of it.

I just want it to be clear I think the televangelists should go to jail and their false money grubbing churches to be against the law

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 18, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

i hope to one day learn your real name so i can learn what stupid poo poo you do when you're out of touch with society and the speed at which it moves in your 80s.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's not blatant to them. These are holy people who they have been brought up to trust their whole lives.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

i hope to one day learn your real name so i can learn what stupid poo poo you do when you're out of touch with society and the speed at which it moves in your 80s.

... What?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You're blaming people for falling victim to something that you can see and understand is wrong, but they may not. But since you can see it, they must be stupid for not being able to recognize and avoid it.

I'm simply saying that if that is your attitude, I hope to one day be able to roll around in the irony of you getting bilked out of something when you're old and society works in ways and allows things that you don't fully understand.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do feel bad about what happened to your grandfather with dementia though and how he was taken advantage of, I also think these people and any future people like them should be jailed for what their doing, I wasn't thinking about people with dementia or similar problems.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

It's pretty simple, people who fall for this are just stupid or senile. Being ill and desperate doesn't preclude you from being an idiot either, sorry to say. And there's plenty of fine, life-long religious folks not throwing money at the scam artists. Probably the standard collection plate instead.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

It's pretty simple, people who fall for this are just stupid or senile. Being ill and desperate doesn't preclude you from being an idiot either, sorry to say. And there's plenty of fine, life-long religious folks not throwing money at the scam artists. Probably the standard collection plate instead.

Taking advantage of stupid people in any other context is still illegal and considered fraud. This should be as well. There shouldn't be a "stupid tax" and these fuckers shouldn't be the ones to gain from one.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do feel bad about what happened to your grandfather with dementia though and how he was taken advantage of, I also think these people and any future people like them should be jailed for what their doing, I wasn't thinking about people with dementia or similar problems.

It's fine. I've just been dealing with this attitude from people for like 10+ years now and a lot of the time people don't stop to think about what else could be the cause and what other lives could be ruined as well. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't come up often, but when it does it's always the same poo poo.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Taking advantage of stupid people in any other context is still illegal and considered fraud. This should be as well. There shouldn't be a "stupid tax" and these fuckers shouldn't be the ones to gain from one.

Since when is taking advantage of stupid people illegal? Overtly scamming, sure, but I'm not aware of what you're referring to.

This isn't a stupid tax, they're throwing money at these people. I'm not defending the scammers, they're the scum of the earth, but if you have any common sense then you know better than to give these fuckers a dime.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The big issue is the US Government giving legitimacy and leeway to their scams by classifying them under a religious organization. By doing so, not only are they tax free money factories, they also don't have to deliver on their product sold.

If they weren't religious, they WOULD be illegal as they are literally lying to people in order to take their money. We have laws preventing that sort of thing. Wrapping it around religion just makes it all go away.

It's also likely that these televangelists ARE running afoul of what little financial rules that are there, but since the audit rate is so low, they don't get caught.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing is, most churches run off donations anyways, so it's not that weird of an idea to send money to the dude who's preaching at you, but these televangelists have just slipped in some crazy junk of their own in some kind of bizarre spiritual pyramid scheme.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Imagine I answered "welcome to the Republican party!" to every single post ITT blaming the victims.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So it's bad that my biggest takeaway from the piece was "poo poo, I wish I'd thought of doing that"?

Katana Gomai posted:

Imagine I answered "welcome to the Republican party!" to every single post ITT blaming the victims.
Well, that hurts.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

The big issue is the US Government giving legitimacy and leeway to their scams by classifying them under a religious organization. By doing so, not only are they tax free money factories, they also don't have to deliver on their product sold.

What is the product? Spiritual fulfillment? A sense of community? Philosophical enlightenment?

?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ITT: People call senile old men, and people raised in religious homes loving retarded. Goons React.

New Thread Title: The Jon Oliver Show: Goons React.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The thing is, most churches run off donations anyways, so it's not that weird of an idea to send money to the dude who's preaching at you, but these televangelists have just slipped in some crazy junk of their own in some kind of bizarre spiritual pyramid scheme.

Most churches generally also use that money for things like charity work, or at the very least basic building maintenance and paying reasonable living wages to full-time church employees. They also explicitly consider it as a donation and not some kind of bizarre investment in the bank of Jesus where you're meant to expect some kind of windfall later because of it.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Most churches generally also use that money for things like charity work, or at the very least basic building maintenance and paying reasonable living wages to full-time church employees. They also explicitly consider it as a donation and not some kind of bizarre investment in the bank of Jesus where you're meant to expect some kind of windfall later because of it.

I'm the chairman of my synagogue's finance committee. 100% of our donations go towards compensation to the rabbi, building maintenance/utilities, running our religious education program (paying teachers and supplies), fees for things like payroll services, publishing, fundraising efforts, dues in the URJ, and charity. That's it. We do require member families to pay dues, which are entirely income based. If you can't afford to pay dues, you don't pay them, but you're allowed to participate in everything the temple has to offer including educational programs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole thing is a gray area because nobody wants to be the one who decides whether or not a church's beliefs are valid.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

How about we stop giving exemptions to churches. Let's just stop that poo poo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

muscles like this? posted:

The whole thing is a gray area because nobody wants to be the one who decides whether or not a church's beliefs are valid.

Me. I want to decide. Prosperity Doctrine churches are not valid. This is now the law, whatever that means.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

No Butt Stuff posted:

for reals, this is the answer. if the argument is that churches help people and are charitable, well then they can open up a branch of their church that is a charity, but is scrutinised that the money is actually going to charity and not into the pockets of the church leaders and has to conform to all the standards that NGOs have.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

No Butt Stuff posted:

Tax-exempt status is given to a ton of organizations that don't really deserve it, and the very concept of full tax exemption in the United States should probably be reformed or abolished in favor of large tax credits if your organization can provide reasoning for why they deserve them. Non-profits that primarily do charity work would be able to get a 100% tax deduction in this way, and so forth. But it'd be audited.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Stupid people don't deserve to be scammed out of their money.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

When you're desperate, or down and out, a lot of pipe dream quick fix schemes can seem reasonable. The brain tries to protect itself by believing that a presented solution to an insoluble, crushing problem can work, even if critical thought would reveal that it really can't. And a scam is only obvious when you've read a lot about scamming and know the signs - plenty of people haven't and don't, especially if they're not very internet-savvy.

The fact that these churches use religion as a vehicle for their scam makes it even easier for victims to get sucked in. Plenty of people, especially older people, are accustomed to trust religious figures by default, and if you do believe in God then a promise that God can cure your disease or fix your financial situation seems far less outlandish because, after all, he can do anything!

Basically yeah, these churches prey on the vulnerable who have no alternative but to believe in some solution to their problems, and abuse their belief in a higher power to do it. Blaming the victims is the wrong idea here, because many of them are in terrible circumstances capable of causing normally sensible people to do foolish things out of desperation.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Austrian mook posted:

Stupid people don't deserve to be scammed out of their money.

controversial, but i agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Android Blues posted:

When you're desperate, or down and out, a lot of pipe dream quick fix schemes can seem reasonable. The brain tries to protect itself by believing that a presented solution to an insoluble, crushing problem can work, even if critical thought would reveal that it really can't. And a scam is only obvious when you've read a lot about scamming and know the signs - plenty of people haven't and don't, especially if they're not very internet-savvy.

The fact that these churches use religion as a vehicle for their scam makes it even easier for victims to get sucked in. Plenty of people, especially older people, are accustomed to trust religious figures by default, and if you do believe in God then a promise that God can cure your disease or fix your financial situation seems far less outlandish because, after all, he can do anything!

Basically yeah, these churches prey on the vulnerable who have no alternative but to believe in some solution to their problems, and abuse their belief in a higher power to do it. Blaming the victims is the wrong idea here, because many of them are in terrible circumstances capable of causing normally sensible people to do foolish things out of desperation.

Just to add to this, if you google for a list of psychological triggers used by scam artists to trick people out of their money they also perfectly match the behaviour of these televangelists: obligation via reciprocation, incremental commitment, social/peer pressure, semblances of authority, etc etc.. Those letters sent to John Oliver by the televangelist were textbook examples of most of these triggers.

• Locked thread