Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

You go to order a hot dog. A man beckons you into what appears to be a hot dog store. When you enter, your eyes glaze over. There's all kinds of spices and ingredients from what appears to be everywhere the world over. Upon closer inspection, however (and under the gaze of the eerily smiling proprietor), these ingredients appear to be what the proprietor thinks the ingredients actually are. The Ghost Pepper jar is empty, with the owner telling you that there is literally the ghost of a pepper in the jar, which is sitting next to a bag with whitish bits in it called "God's Teeth" which are really just mint Chiclets. You pass on the ominously titled "future spices". He attempts to sell you all manner of fake sausages, from smoked raccoon (it looks like a hot dog) to centaur burgers (wait a minute, is this actually a veggie burger?) His smile never leaves his face, not even upon encountering your now-bewildered countenance. You ask him to just make you a hot dog, but then he asks "What kind do you want?" You look for a menu, but can't see one. "What kinds are there?" you ask foolishly. He laughs, smiling even bigger. "Why, anything you imagine, you reckless dreamer!" He attempts to offer you one whose recipe he claims to have gained from a robot-chick riding a space-cycle shooting a Kamehameha at a dragon. You decline, and ask for a basic hot dog.

There are no hot dog buns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LuiCypher posted:

You go to order a hot dog. A man beckons you into what appears to be a hot dog store. When you enter, your eyes glaze over. There's all kinds of spices and ingredients from what appears to be everywhere the world over. Upon closer inspection, however (and under the gaze of the eerily smiling proprietor), these ingredients appear to be what the proprietor thinks the ingredients actually are. The Ghost Pepper jar is empty, with the owner telling you that there is literally the ghost of a pepper in the jar, which is sitting next to a bag with whitish bits in it called "God's Teeth" which are really just mint Chiclets. You pass on the ominously titled "future spices". He attempts to sell you all manner of fake sausages, from smoked raccoon (it looks like a hot dog) to centaur burgers (wait a minute, is this actually a veggie burger?) His smile never leaves his face, not even upon encountering your now-bewildered countenance. You ask him to just make you a hot dog, but then he asks "What kind do you want?" You look for a menu, but can't see one. "What kinds are there?" you ask foolishly. He laughs, smiling even bigger. "Why, anything you imagine, you reckless dreamer!" He attempts to offer you one whose recipe he claims to have gained from a robot-chick riding a space-cycle shooting a Kamehameha at a dragon. You decline, and ask for a basic hot dog.

There are no hot dog buns.
My best guess is World of Synnibarr, but the hot dog vendor needs to claim he's a polymath genius and a martial arts master.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Halloween Jack posted:

My best guess is World of Synnibarr, but the hot dog vendor needs to claim he's a polymath genius and a martial arts master.

If I do that, then I need to add Jedi to the list of qualifications as well.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Slimnoid posted:

Or you can just be a Bisontaur.

That owns.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
You go to a hot dog stand. The owner swears up, down, and sideways that they do things with hot dogs that no one has ever dreamed of before. No matter what you order, you get a hot dog with ketchup and mustard, but sometimes the condiments are dyed different colours.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Selachian posted:

Gamerprinter and his Japanese ghost thing.

You win.

Your friends all really like hotdogs and encourage you to try one even though you are a vegetarian. The vendor is excited that you're going to be trying hotdogs but rather than letting you choose which hotdog you want, you are forced to have your hotdog chosen for you at random. You end up with a frankfurt chillidog covered in bacon bits. You explain that chillidogs aren't really for you, and the vendor insissts that he can eat half your hotdog for you so you'll still enjoy it. You nibble the bun, make yummy noises and then take it home and put it in the trash. You have four voicemails from the hotdog vendor telling you more about hotdogs and then asking you out. He later makes a post on his blog about how you didn't stop talking about being a vegetarian and that you're ruining hotdogs for everyone. Your friends urge you to get another hotdog the following week because it will be different this time and it's not always like that.

The hotdog is the hobby as a whole.

Hotdog.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Error 404 posted:

That owns.

What makes it great is that this is the artist's first venture into D&D/PF and asked flat-out "can I be a Bisontaur?" and the DM said "why not?"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Oh my god how long has it been since Osiris shat up a thread? I think the last time was a long previous grogs txt too! Nostalgia~

He's been making GBS threads up the GW death thread for awhile. You're right though, he's why I closed my own grogs.txt.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Rampant sexism and weird fantasy racism aside even, my group is in Menzoberranzan right now and let me tell you drow etymology is a loving nightmare. my campaign notes are just alphabet soup at this point

Nope! There's actually a printed drow grammar and lexicon in Ed Greenwood's Drow of the Underdark for 2e. If you're confused I recommend starting there.

The drow "pot" is pretty confused by some printing errors in that book and just how many people have worked in that corner of the Realms. A lot of the time people confuse Greyhawk and FR drow concepts or names, which doesn't help. Still, stick to a clear lineage of sources and you should be fine.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Just, a whole bunch of people who appear to have read the book, yet somehow have not read the book. And also plenty who have clearly and even proudly not read the book.

quote:

My only issue is two fold. A magical deer gets to select the leader and the fact you hunt down shadow souls. Your banishing people for having a different opinion. Not to mention people can change their opinion at any time for any reason so any one can become a shadow soul. You are playing as thought police while hiding behind the shield of good intentions. We all know what the road to hell is paved in.

quote:

My issues are thus:
1) Utopias are dull.
2) gently caress anthropomorphic animals (the proper definition, not "furries), even moreso when they're infallible and omniscient.
3) I have no use whatsoever for "romantic fantasy".

quote:

I'm really not interested in running grim dark crap sack worlds, but I'm too realistic or cynical if one prefers, to run a utopia. The closest things that work for me are

Star Trek in the mold of TOS or TNG, where the Federation are basically good, but fallible and occasional plagued by the bad guy or deluded fanatic from within, but even they may be occasionally be helped to see the error or their ways.

• Star Wars, where the Rebel Alliance is basically good, but they are fighting a civil war and their are some folks that are possessed by hate or revenge and take things too far. But equally redemption is still possible.

• Pendragon, where the King Arthur and the Round Table are forces for good, redemption is possible, but the members are still fallible humans who occasionally screw up, you have Lancelot and his betrayal of Arthur and doomed romance with Guenivere and Mordred, who is a villain.

Anything more Utopian than that is just too implausible and falls into Kiero's rule #1 - internally it is dull.

I'm fine with romantic fantasy, a la Sabatini, Weyman, or Orczy.

quote:

That was my main issue with it. Not to mention that my sense of how society works says that the Blue Rose kingdom gets crushed within a week, without it's Magic Deer God protector keeping them safe, because the entire set up is incredibly naive, and surrounded by two forces that are much more combat savvy.

quote:

And that's the problem. The Blue Rose Kingdom with their newly elected queen, has no guile, no cunning and no willingness to understand that their foes are just waiting to pounce on them. And given just how likely those two factions are described in the old RPG, it's only by Plot Armour that BR hasn't been crushed and divvied up like sandwiches on a platter.

Simply because the enemies are ruthless, murderous bastards that want nothing more than to crush them, and neither of them are of the 'Warlord' variety. Meaning they'll use things like assassinations, sabotage and other tricks to weaken it. There will be no brute force invasions until after their prey has been softened, which would likely end up in a two and half way war that would decimate all three kingdoms.

And the only reason they haven't done it? Because of Plot Armour. Sole reason, and I simply cannot reconcile that in my head. It's either that, or that the other two factions are so 1960's Batman incompetent that they're living jokes, and no country can survive that.

quote:

the part that I find to be inconsistent is that Aldis has "consistently thwarted it's enemies schemes" thanks to an "extensive spy network" and quickly "rooting out any shadow influences when they appear" (as the Aldis-apologists said on this thread) and yet we're supposed to pretend Aldis ISN'T a thought-control police state.

A more realistic portrayal of Aldis would be that there is NSA-style spying everywhere, "for you own good", and citizens are encouraged to tell the Queen's guards about anyone suspicious especially if they're showing any kind of dissent against the Utopian System, as that's a probable sign of "Shadow-influence".

Spying (but not really) on hostile enemies and fighting them: Thought police.

quote:

Someone who knows Blue Rose help me out here...

This is my biggest objection to the setting.

I read somewhere, that anyone can become a Noble. All it takes is Education, passing some kinda test and being judged as not a Shadow Soul by the Queen's magic scepter...

If this is true, it leads to this very unfortunate implication...

Everyone who is not a Noble is either Stupid, Evil, or both...

If all it takes to become a "Noble" is education and being good...well most of society should be Nobles...unless Aldea is denying education to some of their citizens, which would in turn make them kinda evil... So then the reason has to become everyone has a Shadow Soul...which would mean most of the citizens are evil/selfish...

If neither is the case...you end up with a Hand Wavium setting caveat of "Well most of the citizens are just good little souls who know not to step above their station. They're education and good of heart and are much more happy pledging themselves to assist their nobles than trying to become Nobles themselves.."

Which to me is classicist as Hell and sets off all kinds of warning bells for me.

But I could be coming at this from a very limited understanding...if I am, please feel free to correct me.

Apart from the admitted lack of having even read the game, here's a guy who doesn't seem confounded by the fact that everyone in the world is too stupid/evil to get a $100k+ engineering job. What a classist!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

These guys seem to be really unwilling to accept the power of magic. :smaug:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Space Marines are male-only pretty much "just because", whereas (for all its faults) Buffy's slayers are women-only because the creator was actively resisting stereotypes.

quote:

Not just as bad, no, but still bad. I don't accept that privileging any group is a good thing. In fact, it can make it more difficult to break down barriers in some contexts by making it 'acceptable' to have marginalized groups in the media but only in those specific areas where they are 'allowed' to be the exception.

There is a wider spectrum than 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable'. Exclusivity on the basis of any trait is bad. Exclusivity on the basis of being the privileged white male may well be worse, partly because it is more prevalent in the real world and in fiction, but that doesn't make exclusivity based on being female good. It just makes it less bad; which is still bad, and therefore should be discouraged.

#WhatAboutTheMen? #Equality~~~

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

These guys seem to be really unwilling to accept the power of magic. :smaug:

I really love the wildly varying levels of just made-up poo poo from the haters, especially from the ones who profess to have actually read the book.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah they always seem so quick to dismiss claims about the unreal-ism of D&D and what should be a massively inflated gold based economy, or the possibility that ubiquitous magic would change the world into a far different place than medieval Europe. It's almost like they have some sort of agenda.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If all it takes to become a world-class neurosurgeon is an education and a willingness to follow the Hippocratic oath it stands to reason that anyone who isn't a neurosurgeon must be stupid and willing to harm others.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

If all it takes to become a world-class neurosurgeon is an education and a willingness to follow the Hippocratic oath it stands to reason that anyone who isn't a neurosurgeon must be stupid and willing to harm others.

would not be surprised if that's what they actually think

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kai Tave posted:

Well, I'm stupid and violent, and I'm not a neurosurgeon. QED

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Ben Carson getting that crucial Trad Games endorsement.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, he's a fallen neurosurgeon. Couldn't resist the sweet temptation of stem cell research.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sandman the Bernbarian.

What is best in life?
To crush inequality
See corporations driven before you
And hear the lamentations of their shareholders.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Plague of Hats posted:

I really love the wildly varying levels of just made-up poo poo from the haters, especially from the ones who profess to have actually read the book.
Yeah I'd say Aldis is actually an example of how even a small amount of magic could make a profound difference in a community. The magic deer is presumably not an "item" but could probably be considered some kind of friendly local spirit or deity, and that magic baton is basically "cast Detect Evil at a high nuanced level, with the nuances pretty well understood; no caster needed, works once per subject."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I think it's Rifts.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That'd be a guy selling you a hot dog from a cart and while it's clear the wrapper says "Pinks" on it, the cart vendor has taped on a page-long foreword where he takes credit for inventing hot dogs.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wait, so what did Kevin Siembieda take credit for in terms of TRPG history, assuming that's what you're riffing on? (I know about the many disputes with his writers.)

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Slimnoid posted:

Or you can just be a Bisontaur.

I see your Bisontaur and raise you a Beartaur.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Foglet posted:

I see your Bisontaur and raise you a Beartaur.

As the F Plus has taught me, that is a bear demitaur, at least according to the Fetish Matrix.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Plague of Hats posted:

that is a bear demitaur, at least according to the Fetish Matrix.

Dunno, search engines seem to prefer semitaur, but still are understandably vague on the topic.

(To speak nothing of the fact that beartaurs are severely lacking in the -taur, that is, -bull, department, but so do centaurs, and their etymology is weird anyway)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Halloween Jack posted:

Its a trick. Its a passage from the rare appendix to the Principia Discordia: "Fevered Dreams of the Middle Malaclypse".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

NGDBSS posted:

Wait, so what did Kevin Siembieda take credit for in terms of TRPG history, assuming that's what you're riffing on? (I know about the many disputes with his writers.)

I'm pulling this off the current Palladium books page, just so so you know I'm not cherry-picking old claims. These are claims they put forth right now.

Kevin Siembieda posted:

Palladium was the first to launch one universal game system starting with The Mechanoid Invasion® in 1981 and followed by The Palladium Fantasy RPG® (1983) and Heroes Unlimited™ (1984). This fact is missed by some people because Palladium Books started out so small and had to slowly build and release its game settings slowly. Nor did we advertise the fact as a marketing angle at first, again, largely because Palladium had a minuscule ad budget and Kevin was learning everything from publishing to marketing as he went along.

Incorrect; Basic Role-Playing beat him to the punch by a year, and also was explicitly generic, unlike The Mechanoid Invasion.

Kevin Siembieda posted:

World building. Palladium was one of the first game companies to create RPGs with unique and original settings rather than the norm of doing “generic” ones. This started, again, with The Mechanoid Invasion® in 1981 and followed by The Palladium Fantasy RPG® (1983). This approach became abundantly obvious with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles® (1985), After the Bomb® (1985), Robotech® (1986), Rifts® (1990) and many other titles. It’s funny, because today, unique world settings is the norm, but back in the 1980s this was the exception. In fact, Palladium had distributors and friends warn against such an unprecedented move right up through the release of Rifts®.

Arguably true, but games like Runequest, Empire of the Petal Throne, and Traveller beat Palladium to the worldbuilding punch by a good long while. It's true it wasn't popular when they originally did it, but there were a fair number of game worlds before Mechanoids.

Kevin Siembieda posted:

Softbound books. One of Kevin Siembieda’s proudest innovations is one that changed the way the RPG industry packaged product: the softcover book. Palladium was the first to introduce the perfect bound, trade paperback format to the RPG industry. It started with The Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game® (1983), but was something Kevin wanted to do from the very start in 1981.

True as far as I know, but I've never researched this. I can't think of any perfect-bound softcovers before Palladium, hardcovers or stapled softcovers were the norm.

Kevin Siembieda posted:

Mixing genres. The art of mixing different genres started for Kevin Siembieda back at the Detroit Gaming Center when people insisted you couldn’t combine magic and technology. Kevin thought that was ridiculous and went about proving the point in his fabled Defilers campaign, which combined the two quite well with amazing results. It would be a theme repeated in the games he’d design and publish at Palladium. Of course, the ultimate mixed genre role-playing game is Rifts®.

Whether or not he did it in his private campaigns, it didn't show up in The Palladium RPG, so I'm saying false. Worlds of Wonder predated The Palladium RPG, so even if you count it, it wasn't the first. Lords of Creation, another multiversal RPG, came out around the same time. And, of course, both games predated Rifts by nearly a decade.

Kevin Siembieda posted:

Dynamic artwork. This was another no-brainer for Kevin. As an artist himself, he wanted to see the quality of RPG art raised to a higher standard. By 1989, Palladium Books and TSR (the D&D publisher) had, arguably, the best art in the business. Palladium also paid some of the best rates, second only to TSR, a company 10 times its size. This led more than one competitor to complain to him about it. One fellow even compared Kevin to George Steinbrenner, owner of the New York Yankees major league baseball team famous for spending more than anyone else on his players, lamenting that Kevin’s practices of paying artists well and using high caliber art were hurting the industry.

This is largely true. Comparing Palladium's art budget to TSR's at all is pretty laughable, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Worst RPG system you have ever played?

quote:

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

I have a lot of nostalgia for this, my first RPG, but it was awful. Thieves start off completely useless at picking pockets (about 15% chance to succeed so there's no point in doing it), then there's a complicated system which has zero relation to the Skills to add % chance increments, with modifiers for race and Dexterity bonuses for particular things instead of a straight stat bonus for Dex. Skills either allowed you to do or not do something - no gradients. Non-humans are heavily restricted in class and have upper level limits for no apparent reason. Combat is lethal and contains no options until you get the advanced rulebook for combat options, which then mainly adds ridicculously cumbersome rules for bleeding and body-parts.

Anyone who thinks that there are no objectively bad systems should be pointed to A,D&D and asked if this could be preferable to Pathfinder. It's a clear loser, with no benefits and plenty of down-sides.
Like, you maybe wouldn't even disagree with the guy up until that very last sentence when it takes a sharp left turn.

quote:

quote:

I dunno man - I've had some pretty awful experiences with DND and pathfinder with RAW situations. Being a good GM for those systems isn't just about being fun and flexible: it's literally about ignoring and modifying rules that don't work. I mean look at treasure and CR for 3.5. People playing RAW out of the monster manual could end up with some pretty horrible encounters that aren't balanced, easily TPK, and give out totally random useless treasure.
Wow, it's almost kind of like real life which doesn't magically adjust itself to always give you fair challenges and rewards!

Also, being a good GM for DnD means never using the encounter, wealth/level, and treasure tables. Ever.

What? What?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

gradenko_2000 posted:

Worst RPG system you have ever played?

Like, you maybe wouldn't even disagree with the guy up until that very last sentence when it takes a sharp left turn.

With the way some of my friends describe AD&D its definitely sounds worst than Pathfinder.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've learned that it's impossible to argue about AD&D as a system, because almost nobody actually plays AD&D RAW. I used to get wrapped up in arguments about how AD&D is supposedly simpler than 4e (because it has a hundred kludge rules instead of keywords and powers), or it's super-simple because only the DM needs to actually know the rules, and other just completely absurd defenses of it.

I think a lot of people essentially played AD&D as Basic with the AD&D races and classes, and select rules the DM liked. It's pretty telling that 2e dispensed with a lot of the combat rules (the ones that are conveniently forgotten by people trying to tell you that AD&D is simple and elegant). But you just can't talk objectively about AD&D to people who love it. You get wrapped up in talking about "the subset of AD&D rules my group actually used" or how some hypothetical, spherical gaming group in a wind tunnel used the AD&D books to play.

MadScientistWorking posted:

With the way some of my friends describe AD&D its definitely sounds worst than Pathfinder.
The main thing AD&D has going for it over Pathfinder is useful fighters and much less spellcaster supremacy. But so does Basic.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Whether or not he did it in his private campaigns, it didn't show up in The Palladium RPG, so I'm saying false. Worlds of Wonder predated The Palladium RPG, so even if you count it, it wasn't the first. Lords of Creation, another multiversal RPG, came out around the same time. And, of course, both games predated Rifts by nearly a decade.

Plus Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, which came out years earlier and was based on pre-existing Greyhawk sci-fi stuff.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Foglet posted:

Dunno, search engines seem to prefer semitaur, but still are understandably vague on the topic.

(To speak nothing of the fact that beartaurs are severely lacking in the -taur, that is, -bull, department, but so do centaurs, and their etymology is weird anyway)

Centaur basically means "Bullkiller", as opposed to being anything about being half-horse. Which mostly just means that Centaurs are -so in to killing cattle- that they named them for that instead.

Which basically means that there needs to be a modern supernatural conspiracy/monster hunters type adventure where centaurs are behind cattle mutilations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The 3.5 chick turned out to just be having a bad day and was frustrated that lots of people didn't want to do 3.5 (people wanted Pathfinder instead mainly). Money match dude is still trying to brag while chickening out of local tourneys though. :allears:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Bizarre Palladium claims
I don't think the argument that Palladium was "one of the first" companies to build an original or adapted setting holds up. I mean, it wasn't one of the first ten companies to do this. As for universal systems, not only did Chaosium beat him to the punch, you'd have to ignore The Fantasy Trip, Rolemaster, and a few obscure games that were "universal" for a particular genre.) And genre-mixing? D&D is a genre mashup!

I'm surprised he doesn't claim to be the king of licensed settings. They weren't one of the first to do that, either, but they did it very successfully.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think the argument that Palladium was "one of the first" companies to build an original or adapted setting holds up.

As long as you're only counting full worlds and not implied worlds, I think you're over estimating the number of game settings in 1981. There was Glorantha, Empire of the Petal Throne, Greyhawk, and arguably Traveller? And then Mechanoids. There were also things like City-State of the Invincible Overlord, but that was more a single city you could plop down in any setting, and I would count it more as a proto-setting than a setting itself. Most games by 1981 just had "implied settings" at best, where you know this setting has elves or marines or superheroes because that's... what the game has rules for, or what you see in this adventure, but there wasn't much in the way of game worlds outside of private campaigns.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The roleplaying hobby was still coalescing at that time, and there were a lot of products that were neither fish nor fowl. You had systems without settings, settings without systems that assumed you'd use D&D, rules modules and minis rules that assumed you'd use them to complement or replace parts of D&D, settings developed through series adventure/location modules, and wargames with roleplaying tacked on as an afterthought.

Even if you restrict the definition to games that included a setting and a system in one core book, Metamorphosis Alpha, Ysgarth, Superhero 2044, and The Morrow Project all beat Mechanoids to the punch. Not to mention adaptations of John Carter, Flash Gordon, Star Trek, and Dallas that had been published. The Wilderlands of High Fantasy had also been published as an eponymous book by that point, not just the CSotIL module. And there were several adapted games (including CoC) that came out in 1981, too.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Alien Rope Burn posted:

As long as you're only counting full worlds and not implied worlds, I think you're over estimating the number of game settings in 1981. There was Glorantha, Empire of the Petal Throne, Greyhawk, and arguably Traveller? And then Mechanoids. There were also things like City-State of the Invincible Overlord, but that was more a single city you could plop down in any setting, and I would count it more as a proto-setting than a setting itself. Most games by 1981 just had "implied settings" at best, where you know this setting has elves or marines or superheroes because that's... what the game has rules for, or what you see in this adventure, but there wasn't much in the way of game worlds outside of private campaigns.

Prior to the 80's you had Star Trek and Morrow Project. And just talking about the early 1980's you had Melanda, Starfleet Voyages, Thieves World, Elric, etc. I guess you could also count Dallas if you really wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Which basically means that there needs to be a modern supernatural conspiracy/monster hunters type adventure where centaurs are behind cattle mutilations.

Since another popular cryptid is just named "goat-sucker" this would work pretty well.

• Locked thread