Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Then how do you explain his 29% approval rating among non-whites? Which minority vote IS he attracting?

Donald Trump is hilarious and famous. If it comes to a situation where he could actively win the presidency, the dude who went nuts about Mexican Rapists will probably see his non white support shrink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

Aliquid posted:

measuring minority vote split between 17 candidates in a 300-person poll for the republican nomination means it will all be statistical noise. there would have been roughly 30 minorities polled in that scenario

This is completely irrelevant, since I was asking about approval ratings.

Zelder posted:

Donald Trump is hilarious and famous. If it comes to a situation where he could actively win the presidency, the dude who went nuts about Mexican Rapists will probably see his non white support shrink.

I suppose this could be true, though.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Alkydere posted:

So, I'm seeing the following outcomes when it comes to the 2016 election:

1) Trump flares out ("quits on his own terms"), ending up with one of the GOP hopefulls (likely JEB!) boring the base to sleep even as they try to work up excitement for him, end result is likely a repeat of 2012.

2) Trump stays in, but is forced out of the GOP and runs third party, voter base is split, commence laughter as GOP vote is hilariously gutted.

3) GOP grudgingly accepts Trump as their best candidate causing moderates/wall street money to jump ship to Hillary because she likely won't rock the boat (and their paychecks) too much. Result is worse for the GOP than 1 but not as hilariously humiliating as 2.

4) The stars align and both Trump and Bernie secure the party nominations. Results: I have no loving clue and I'm not sure if I want on this wild ride, but it'll sure be exciting while it lasts.

Obviously 1-3 assume Hillary leads/takes the Dem nomination. Is this about what the rest of the thread thinks are the likely outcomes?
To be mostly serious, yeah I'd agree with this.

Hilariously, the only thing I disagree with is that I'm starting to seriously doubt that Jeb! would end up with the nomination just because of how hard he's hosed up the Iraq question everything so far:

quote:

Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush invoked the controversial case of Terri Schiavo at a conservative conference in Washington, DC Friday morning, reminding the audience of his role in the case when he was governor of Florida.

"I stood on the side of Terri Schiavo," Bush said at the Faith and Freedom conference. Bush rarely brings up the Schiavo case on the campaign trail but his brief mention of it was made to a religious, conservative audience receptive to his role in the case.

http://www.ibtimes.com/jeb-bush-next-president-should-privatize-social-security-1969720

quote:

Jeb Bush thinks the next president will need to privatize Social Security, he said at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire on Tuesday -- acknowledging that his brother attempted to do so and failed.

Because it can't be said enough: Iraq War architect Paul Wolfowitz in bright red (Iraqi blood).

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/11/politics/jeb-bush-isis-speech/

quote:

Jeb Bush, laying out his strategy to combat ISIS on Tuesday, called for establishing a no-fly zone over Syria, defeating President Bashar al-Assad's regime, and embedding U.S. troops with Iraqi forces, all the while expanding U.S. engagement across the globe.

In a foreign policy address at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, Bush invoked the former president's description of communism to label ISIS "the focus of evil in the modern world."

DaveWoo posted:

Quote of the Day - "I'll tell you, taking out Saddam Hussein turned out to be a pretty good deal." ~Jeb Bush

We are only one debate into the primary and Jeb! has already provided enough ammunition against him to arm/destroy the entire Middle East. (Just like he'd do as president!:v::hf::suicide:)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 18, 2015

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

GlyphGryph posted:

Then how do you explain his 29% approval rating among non-whites? Which minority vote IS he attracting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_EmM-rLWgQ

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

not sure where you got that number but:

quote:

Among Hispanics, however, his negatives are soaring. Just 13 percent said they have a positive opinion of Trump, who last month said undocumented immigrants who are “rapists” and “killers” are coming across the border from Mexico and other countries. Eighty-one percent of Hispanics said they have an unfavorable impression of him.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/poll-donald-trump-favorability-increasing-120139.html

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The hispanics love Donald Trump

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

euphronius posted:

Why are you projecting Trump against Sanders. They are not in the same primary.

Because, as goons, we need to wank over our general election fantasies on occasion.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

That may mean he'll get like 10% (or whatever outlier number compared to trendlines you think he's going to get) of the Hispanic vote, or it may mean he'd get just about as much as any other Repub, whatever that is.

Earlier in the thread I was criticizing favorability metrics as indicators or predictors of real value. They also fluctuate a bit too much for my liking. When you can ask a question "Who do you plan to vote for?" and the answer to that answers your question, well, there you go. Use that. Don't ask a completely different question and then use hundreds of words to rationalize that it answers that question.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 18, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

fade5 posted:

To be mostly serious, yeah I'd agree with this.

Hilariously, the only thing I disagree with is that I'm starting to seriously doubt that Jeb! would end up with the nomination just because of how hard he's hosed up the Iraq question everything so far:

We are only one debate into the primary and Jeb! has already provided enough ammunition against him to arm/destroy the entire Middle East. (Just like he'd do as president!:v::hf::suicide:)

Oh, I fully agree. I think the neocon establishment really wants to push the Bush family into a proper dynasty so it will be a good while before they admit that JEB! just has no legs. He finds political landmines that should be obvious and instead of dodging them with minimal before-hand prep he'll jump up and down on them to make sure they go off.

We all know JEB!'s biggest contribution to the Republican process is deciding how badly the will lose, but convincing his powerful family and family's friends of that will be a long, painful, hilarious process.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Are we starting to see the crazy ramp up to last ditch levels now? Being stuck at the kiddy table for the second debate would be pretty much the death rattle for the likes of Perry or Jindal's campaigns.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

Are we starting to see the crazy ramp up to last ditch levels now? Being stuck at the kiddy table for the second debate would be pretty much the death rattle for the likes of Perry or Jindal's campaigns.

Jindal's campaign was always dead. The only person who didn't seem to realize it was Jindal.

He's too brown, and the wrong kind of brown, to ever win a Republican primary in his lifetime.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
The latest CNN poll, it was posted 2 pages ago.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
If Trump runs third party, what pull from the D column will he get? To act like it would be zero is ridiculous.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

SirPablo posted:

If Trump runs third party, what pull from the D column will he get? To act like it would be zero is ridiculous.

neo liberals

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Alkydere posted:

Oh, I fully agree. I think the neocon establishment really wants to push the Bush family into a proper dynasty so it will be a good while before they admit that JEB! just has no legs. He finds political landmines that should be obvious and instead of dodging them with minimal before-hand prep he'll jump up and down on them to make sure they go off.

We all know JEB!'s biggest contribution to the Republican process is deciding how badly the will lose, but convincing his powerful family and family's friends of that will be a long, painful, hilarious process.

Jeb being the dumb one is never going to stop being funny. Bush (The Dubster) exploited his image as a dummy to get him into and keep him in the white house for eight years. Jeb came into this as a quiet intellectual and every time a camera turns his way he says something tactless and idiotic. Dude just doesn't know when to shut up.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 18, 2015

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Mirthless posted:

Jindal's campaign was always dead. The only person who didn't seem to realize it was Jindal.

He's too brown, and the wrong kind of brown, to ever win a Republican primary in his lifetime.
That announcement video where he showed himself telling his kids he was going to run for president and they could not give less of a poo poo was so pathetic I almost feel bad for the guy, but then I remember how he keeps repeatedly loving over his state in a desperate attempt to get conservatives to like him. gently caress Jindal, that guy is poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SirPablo posted:

If Hilldogg loses five percent and the Rs lose 10 percent, Hillary wins in a comical landslide of apocalyptic proportions. I think in that scenario she takes Texas.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

SirPablo posted:

I think he'll have the market cornered on ironic voting

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Accelerationists, racists, sexists, hipsters.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

JT Jag posted:

Accelerationists, racists, sexists, hipsters.

In the event the sandstorm happens, antisemites

There are a lot of liberals with wrong opinions about Jews

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

All in all, probably enough to peel away 1-5 of the 49-odd percent the Dems would normally get on election day.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Going by Perot's split (our only real example), it'd be around half as many D votes as R - so as Nessus said, 5 points off the D ticket versus 10 off the R. And that may be slightly optimistic given the large minority base of the Dems and Trump's rhetoric. Even if it was 1:1 or 2:1 though, it would be an absolute disaster for the GOP given their current demographic disadvantages.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

New topic of conversation. Favorability numbers for candidates in the context of electing said candidates exist almost solely (realized or not) to give the media something to talk about or an excuse to talk about something. Agree? Disagree? Let's discuss...

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 18, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dahbadu posted:

New topic of conversation. Favorability numbers for candidates in the context of elections exist almost solely (realized or not) to give the media something to talk about or an excuse to talk about something. Agree? Disagree? Let's discuss...
Every contrivance exists solely to give the media something to talk about and fill time.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Wait, Hispanics don't like Trump just because he's racist against them and exploits them?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation

Dahbadu posted:

New topic of conversation. Favorability numbers for candidates in the context of elections exist almost solely (realized or not) to give the media something to talk about or an excuse to talk about something. Agree? Disagree? Let's discuss...

Disagree, they exist solely to give us something to talk about, even if the pollsters collect them for what they imagine is a different reason.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

JT Jag posted:

Every contrivance US politics exists solely to give the media something to talk about and fill time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

What was the point of this emptyquote

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Yeah, Trump running 3rd party would be awesome and I hope it happens. Don't think it will. :(

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

SirPablo posted:

It seems very unlikely that Trump would pull more voters from Democrats than Republicans, and that's disregarding the possibility that a Trump candidacy would increase voter turnout.

I have a hard time believing that Trump's comments on Latinos would be anything other than a positive for the Democrats.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dahbadu posted:

Yeah, Trump running 3rd party would be awesome and I hope it happens. Don't think it will. :(

I think if there is anyone in the world as arrogant as Perot, it's Donald loving Trump

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

New topic of conversation. Favorability numbers for candidates in the context of electing said candidates exist almost solely (realized or not) to give the media something to talk about or an excuse to talk about something. Agree? Disagree? Let's discuss...

I think in a crowded field they might have some value in prognostication. Basically they could help indicate where votes will start accumulating as the field winnows down. Of course you can also poll people on second choice candidates to get a similar type of information, so I dunno.

Beyond that, I suppose they at least provide one additional dimension of information about voter preferences. For example, let's say I have an unfavorable view of Democratic Candidate X but will vote for him/her over any Republican. So you could read a few things into a situation in which X has low favorability yet polls ahead of all Republicans: For example, maybe it illustrates voters' tendencies to vote their party even when they say they don't care about party affiliation. Maybe it indicates that support for X is grudgingly given, making him/her more vulnerable (from primary challengers and in the general) than he/she would be with enthusiastic supporters. A candidate who sees that might, perhaps, take away a message that the platform they have on offer is not appealing to their party's base. Or, more realistically, that they need to sell their unpopular policies harder or whatever.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's going to be so great when Trump finally reveals himself to be Sacha Baron Cohen

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Mirthless posted:

I think if there is anyone in the world as arrogant as Perot, it's Donald loving Trump

Yeah, I don't think it's going to happen because Trump is going to get the nom. :(

I want Joe to be right and I want to be wrong. Let's see if I'm a fool. I seriously hope I am. And there is hope, it is still quite early in the race! :)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

James Garfield posted:

It seems very unlikely that Trump would pull more voters from Democrats than Republicans, and that's disregarding the possibility that a Trump candidacy would increase voter turnout.

I have a hard time believing that Trump's comments on Latinos would be anything other than a positive for the Democrats.

yeah theyve polled clinton-bush-trump and trump steals like 4 or 5% from clinton and like 15-20% from bush. last one i saw was clinton 44%, bush 25% and trump 24% (lol)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah theyve polled clinton-bush-trump and trump steals like 4 or 5% from clinton and like 15-20% from bush. last one i saw was clinton 44%, bush 25% and trump 24% (lol)

Who knows if that's still true though--that was back when Bush was #2 (he's still #2 in our hearts, in every way that counts).

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

At this level, the election would basically be a 1984 Reagan level landslide for Hillary. (Or Bernie.):getin:

Please go third party Trump. You know you want to.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

trump running independent and beating the republican a la teddy would be pretty hilarious

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

God this would be AMAZING. I'm not religious but the thought of this scenario makes me feel like praying to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Can somebody link that debate video with the crystal moderating and Rand with a gas mask and the creepy talking baby? My YouTube searches are coming up with nothing. Thanks!

• Locked thread