Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

I don't get why you guys are so annoyed that people are discussing a TV show we like in a thread dedicated to that TV show. People are just expressing how they understood the show, what's wrong with that? Also I think the writing people are doing is pretty fun and funny. If you don't want to talk about the show maybe you shouldn't seek out a thread about it?
Its just, well, theres a lot of words in most of these posts.

Far too many. And when compared to the wit of the show, it's a real wet blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Because everyone is missing the point of a joke. There is a set up, and a punch line. That's it. There isn't anything to theorize or speculate about because it's purpose is to be as clear as possible. It's like if you did this with every joke...

"Hmm, well, I'm not entirely sure why a black man and a KKK member would enter a bar...they have completely different perspectives on life! Perhaps the KKK member ate a bunch of tacos and had to take a big dump?..."

it's empty, you guys.

Maybe they enjoy things differently than you, maybe it's interesting to some people to wonder why the black man and the KKK member would enter the same bar. Not only that but comedy isn't "just a joke", lots of people analyze jokes all the time, you guys are just being a whiney babies high horsing us.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

KoRMaK posted:

Far too many. And when compared to the wit of the show, it's a real wet blanket.

Agreed. Let's just quote Rick between episodes.

AIDS!

Grass.... tastes bad!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

KoRMaK posted:

I dunno, KoRMaK, I mean, it's, you know, people like to watch shows and stuff, and sometimes they, you just want to give your opinion on it, and I kinda think that's alright, to, uh, to express yourself about something you like, you know?

No one asked my opinion, JT Jag

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

a shameful boehner posted:

On rewatch, apparently a floating ethereal head appears above Earth, booming out "Show me what you got!" and causing all sorts of natural disasters until the planet can prove it can produce a hit song. Rick is shown performing a song with Morty (on synth and tambourine) while one of Rick's lines is "ohhhhhh yeahhhhh, you gotta get schwifty, heyyyyyyy, take your pants off, its schwifty time today". I think Keith David is back as the president also

Edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUB5aVxulTk

VV How dare you, sir.

Wow thought you were joking

e: holy poo poo it looks great. an epsidoe where they go do something good for earth - a depature from the main cast centric stuff

Bust Rodd posted:

I want to highlight Beth's drunk fumbling of Wife/Life Coach into Wife Coach because it just highlights how every scene in this episode was on point and really drives home how Beth is clearly a Sanchez.
Yea that was a great capture of drunk fruedian poo poo

Dan harmon is crazy but I watch harmontown every week because of poo poo like that. He's really self aware and just rips apart every insecurity he has in an insightful way.

also he likes to rap and they are bad but funny, and you can see that in r&m because they take that improv stuff then polish it

i posted a bunch of words.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 19, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I dunno, KoRMaK, I mean, it's, you know, people like to watch shows and stuff, and sometimes they, you just want to give your opinion on it, and I kinda think that's alright, to, uh, to express yourself about something you like, you know?

No one asked my opinion, JT Jag

yea, yea i know what ya mean ya little fart crusted wet blanket

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe they enjoy things differently than you, maybe it's interesting to some people to wonder why the black man and the KKK member would enter the same bar. Not only that but comedy isn't "just a joke", lots of people analyze jokes all the time, you guys are just being a whiney babies high horsing us.

But what are you working toward? What's the goal?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not working towards anything, what do you mean? I guess I'm just defending the people who're making jokes and asking questions and poo poo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Convo is gettin too meta in a tedious way

anaylyzin the analyzin

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Stfu and let people talk about the show you freaking jerk!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm not stopping anyone though. I'm just venting frustrations because I really love the Poopy Butthole joke and It's bumming me out that it didn't work for you guys.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm sure you can see how it makes things toxic if everyone's questioning why people are posting what and telling them that they're doing it wrong if it isn't in line with their opinions about how people should discuss the show though. Like right now. Instead of talking about the show we're posting about posting. Great job all.

If you don't enjoy a line of discussion you can just not join in on it. Imo that's a lot better than trying to shut it down or insulting the people who are enjoying talking about it but that's just me!!

and yes I'm breaking my own preferences right now and I hate myself for it. Kill me. Pull the loving trigger DO IT.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 19, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How do none of you see this video of Cooking by the Book when Summer and her flying cat go to funland or wherever it was.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really love this episode. It's fine. I'd watch it before network animated comedy any day, but it isn't what I really love about Rick and Morty.

The flashback thing felt like a midway point between Rixty Minutes and Family Guy cutaways. But the Rixty Minutes segments were ad-libbed (and it showed) and I felt like that just landed better on being surreal. The parasites that got a little development were good, Jerry's plot was one of the best things that has been done with his character. But I didn't really get a lot of the intricacies that a lot of other characters on this show have gotten before.

I get the feeling I'm objectively wrong here. Like the True Detective thread I probably don't know how to watch TV right. The episode did have its moments. Summer's 'yep' was wonderful. Morty seems to be getting much smarter than last season, that's cool. I wonder if, when Rick was screaming at Morty to kill him, he wasn't looking for death again, that would be three episodes out of four he's nearly died.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JT Jag posted:

Rick and Morty pretty undisputedly is the best adult-oriented animated comedy on TV right now

actually it's just animated comedy, nothing even comes close

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

ElCondemn posted:

I don't get why you guys are so annoyed that people are discussing a TV show we like in a thread dedicated to that TV show. People are just expressing how they understood the show, what's wrong with that? Also I think the writing people are doing is pretty fun and funny. If you don't want to talk about the show maybe you shouldn't seek out a thread about it?

Rick and Morty: Poopy Butthole Chat

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really love this episode. It's fine. I'd watch it before network animated comedy any day, but it isn't what I really love about Rick and Morty.

The flashback thing felt like a midway point between Rixty Minutes and Family Guy cutaways. But the Rixty Minutes segments were ad-libbed (and it showed) and I felt like that just landed better on being surreal. The parasites that got a little development were good, Jerry's plot was one of the best things that has been done with his character. But I didn't really get a lot of the intricacies that a lot of other characters on this show have gotten before.

I get the feeling I'm objectively wrong here. Like the True Detective thread I probably don't know how to watch TV right. The episode did have its moments. Summer's 'yep' was wonderful. Morty seems to be getting much smarter than last season, that's cool. I wonder if, when Rick was screaming at Morty to kill him, he wasn't looking for death again, that would be three episodes out of four he's nearly died.

I'm with you. It was a fun episode, but I kept mentally comparing it to Rixty Minutes, which I liked more.

The Jerry subplot was choice though. Jerry is so weak that he somehow got cuckholded by a telepathic worm.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

The Jerry subplot was choice though. Jerry is so weak that he somehow got cuckholded by a telepathic worm.

And liked it. Don't forget that part.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
So are Jerry's homosexual tendencies going to be a real thing that gets developed or was this a one off thing that was played for a joke?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Not an Owl posted:

So are Jerry's homosexual tendencies going to be a real thing that gets developed or was this a one off thing that was played for a joke?
This is actually the second time it's come up! Remember the Titanic episode when he mentioned being bad-touched by a hairy Russian man in weirdly detailed terms?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not an Owl posted:

It's character development, showing how desperate he is for some kind of actual connection. It's in fact quite sad as well as hilarious.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Free Nintendo stuff!

https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/comments/3hbwk3/i_work_at_the_pokemon_world_championships_and/

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

This is beautiful. Reddit is sometimes good for something.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh man I feel like this is on the tip of my tongue, what happened in this episode?

The alien pretended to be a beloved fellow soldier but then felt guilty for fooling Col. O'Niel

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

KoRMaK posted:

This one was good, but felt almost like a clip show.
This episode was a parody of clip shows and the saccharine sitcoms that most egregiously overuse them, down to the "characters are trapped in a tedious situation and must reminisce their way out of it" cliche. Of course, the characters get their way out only through memories that are entirely unfitting for that genre of TV. Jerry is a weak child and would rather live a fiction, but we've already seen that played out in the M. Night Shamylan episode.

snucks fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 19, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know what would be a cool thing a show like R&M could pull off would be to somehow have alternate versions of the episode that are queued up randomly each time you stream them so the people discussing them on the internet afterwards can never agree on the events.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Strobe posted:

This is beautiful. Reddit is sometimes good for something.

That guy (?) has got to be the most insufferable guy in medical school, as all super fans of Pokemon are.

AIDS!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KoRMaK posted:

This one was good, but felt almost like a clip show.

I think that was kind of the idea.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am pretty sure this thread exists to balance out the awesomeness of the show.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
The best part about Jerry's gay flashback is that it didn't create any new characters. Just some beautiful man loving.

Everything about them flashing back to to terrible family memories loving killed me. The kick in the balls, the jerking it in the kitchen, that hobo with a knife.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

All the nuances of the episode were great.

I like when morty revealed the secret and you could see rick was caught off guard but then started taking credit for it and being a dick.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The best part about Jerry's gay flashback is that it didn't create any new characters. Just some beautiful man loving.

Everything about them flashing back to to terrible family memories loving killed me. The kick in the balls, the jerking it in the kitchen, that hobo with a knife.

The jerking in the kitchen was hilarious.

:byodame: Your not the victim here!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

The kick in the balls was a byproduct of jerking it in Summer's room too!

edit: Oh, nope it was just going into Summer's room.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

It was a broken bottle.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My guess is that Sleepy Gary was one of the smarter parasites. First he replaced Jerry has Beth's husband giving him an airtight backstory, then when he discovered that Jerry is such a gullible sap (making him the perfect host her a psychic parasite) he started up a fake gay affair with him. He had two very strong fake relationships established, and he even managed to trick Rick into respecting him ("I've known you for 15 years, don't make me hurt you" is probably the nicest thing Rick has ever said to any version of his son in law real or fake.)

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Sleepy Gary exist because it is easier for everyone to believe that Beth is happily married to Sleepy Gary then for all these happy memories to exist with Jerry as the husband. The parasites fake a marriage/gay love affair because that is happier than trying to get all the other parasites to exist in a world where Beth and Jerry are happily married.

I noticed in the intro that Mr. Poopy Butthole was added, along with the butler. I would assume that those happy memories are of the Butler and that Mr. Poopy Butthole was added to further the illusion that everything changing is correct.

Like the way it is easy to discuss Fry’s Dog from Futurama as a great episode that tells a sad story that makes a person tear up, Rick and Morty decided that their “Fry’s Dog” was going to be Mr. Poopy Butthole. “Sorry you didn’t have any bad memories of me” is a super dark and very good twist to a superb story. I suppose you should just always trust Rick, he was correct about six people being in the house. Rick and Morty are the best at taking regular TV set-ups and taking the viewer for a chaotic ride.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Justin Roiland's greatest triumph is making a character named "Mister Poopy Butthole" a legitimately tragic figure that people discuss seriously.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Pakled posted:

Justin Roiland's greatest triumph is making a character named "Mister Poopy Butthole" a legitimately tragic figure that people discuss seriously.

1 like 1 prayer

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Beth pouring wine at the end was great. When I was putting this GIF together I noticed how complex the animation was. The timing is all over the place on this, and the effect is hilarious. I tried to get some of that back, but gently caress man, :effort:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bust Rodd posted:

Hamurai was the funniest one, but Sleepy Gary and Jerry's vacation bummed me out really hard.

Probably bummed Jerry out really hard, too.

Escape Addict posted:

The plot from this episode is an almost exact copy of the Torchwood episode "Adam" in which the titular character is presented to the audience as a member of the cast who has been there all along, and he's everybody's best friend. Only people who are familiar with the show would notice the change. Like in this episode, he is an alien memory parasite. I like how R&M took the same premise and expanded it 10000% and used it as a vehicle for hilarious vignettes.

Buffy did it first.

• Locked thread