Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

GlyphGryph posted:

Jeb! isn't going to be the candidate at this point though.

Without getting too obnoxiously theoretical, NO ONE (and EVERYONE) is going to be the candidate at this point. The entire field of (viable) GOP contenders is locked in an electoral Schrodinger's Cat box at the moment. It's silly to discount anyone who isn't just a weirdo fringe candidate and/or that has oodles of money on hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Señor O'Malley's troll offensive commences.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The X-man cometh posted:

Mr Hootington and the rest of you brave goons going to events:

Any time a candidate mentions the importance of STEM education, can you ask them a simple math/science question? Like the sine of 2pi or the volume of a cone. Maybe what printf does.

I think it'd be fun to see how bad they flub them.

"A better question than whether I remember math I learned 40 years ago would be asking why we have our youth going into tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to get degrees that don't translate to jobs and leave them unemployed or underemployed with crippling debt.

Also lol look at this nerd"
-a candidate

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:lol: if you think any Republican crowd is gonna let you mouth off the moment you sound like a libtard.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 22, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GalacticAcid posted:

Señor O'Malley's troll offensive commences.

I hope trump just ignores him completely

or hires aiden Gillian to make an attack ad

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

2) It's unclear who may have had access to the server. This includes administrator types without security clearance as well as l337-hax0rs.

Ah now this is definitely a legitimate concern but the FBI should have a pretty easy time answering that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GlyphGryph posted:

"If I just repeat this often enough, I won't be wrong". An impressive argument. Still wrong, though.

It was very nice to see you make a joke, I am glad you managed to say something funny for once. It also conveniently clarified exactly how wrong you were, since the actual definition of the word is pretty integral to the joke.

Yes I agree that your argument is wrong despite your repetition of it. Glad you noticed it as well.

It really isn't, sorry that you think everyone uses words identically in 2015 as in 1879 though, you must be terribly confused at all times.

GlyphGryph posted:

I think the conservatives have hosed themselves over here. The email thing should be a big deal, but the response I've seen most often is that people just don't care. Outrage fatigue. They've been after her for so long over so many nothings and nothing has ever stuck, so anyone who is likely to be swayed by this can easily write it off as the same thing as the last hundred times they've made stuff up about her.

In what hosed up way do you think minor procedural details of email should be a big deal?

Gyges posted:

Hillary did a thing that previous Secretaries of State had done, but to a greater degree. When the inevitable outrage machine started up, she stonewalled because that's what Clintons do when face to face with the outrage machine. While not a particularly good idea, totally shady, and wrong, Clintons actions will turn out to be technically legal or at worst nonpunishable. We've got a few more weeks or so of EMAILGHAZI before a new round of scandal starts up. The new scandal will of course range in severity from Chipotle tipping to Vince Foster.

This is 100% correct.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I think most people understand the severity of EMAILGHAZI! Most people who have a work email account, use it for work...when you use your personal email for work it's probably because you don't want it being seen. I work in IT for a local government, we have strict rules about how long these things have to be retained in case we get audited, sued or an information request. If I saw someone regularly using personal email for work reasons, I would be obligated to report it to my higher ups.

The problem for republicans is that no one cares. After 2 years of Benghazi and 13 congressional hearing, anyone who isn't already sour on :shillary: just sees it as more of a desperation witch hunt to keep our most-likely next president out of the white house. After 30+ years of being in the public eye, I think everyone has formed a solid opinion on Clinton and unless some republican can find a picture of her accepting a large sack of money with a dollar sign on it, I don't think any scandal is going to sink her.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The Nastier Nate posted:

I think most people understand the severity of EMAILGHAZI! Most people who have a work email account, use it for work...when you use your personal email for work it's probably because you don't want it being seen. I work in IT for a local government, we have strict rules about how long these things have to be retained in case we get audited, sued or an information request. If I saw someone regularly using personal email for work reasons, I would be obligated to report it to my higher ups.

The problem for republicans is that no one cares. After 2 years of Benghazi and 13 congressional hearing, anyone who isn't already sour on :shillary: just sees it as more of a desperation witch hunt to keep our most-likely next president out of the white house. After 30+ years of being in the public eye, I think everyone has formed a solid opinion on Clinton and unless some republican can find a picture of her accepting a large sack of money with a dollar sign on it, I don't think any scandal is going to sink her.

Your metaphor breaks down when your workplace has an explicit exception for the Secretary of State, which the Dept. of State does actually have.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

Donald Trump is defending his controversial immigration plan, telling Fox News’ Bill O'Reilly that the 14th Amendment — which guarantees citizenship to all people “born or naturalized in the United States,” including children whose parents came to the country illegally — is unconstitutional.

“It’s not going to hold up in court,” Trump said on The Factor Tuesday.

Trump is the greatest thing ever, god I am so tempted to buy one of dumb hats.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Señor O'Malley's

http://www.aacounty.org/Aging/activeSeniors/omalley.cfm

:confused:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes I agree that your argument is wrong despite your repetition of it. Glad you noticed it as well.

It really isn't, sorry that you think everyone uses words identically in 2015 as in 1879 though, you must be terribly confused at all times.

:allears: This is just precious. :allears:

I've got my example, your example, and the actual dictionary definition of on my side, still waiting to hear an argument on yours that goes beyond how you must be right because you're the one saying it.

Nintendo Kid posted:

In what hosed up way do you think minor procedural details of email should be a big deal?
Are you arguing that it would have had less of an impact on a different Democratic candidate? I'm pretty sure it would have been a bigger deal for someone like Bernie than it's going to be for Hillary.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

tbf didnt rasmussen end up way off in 2012?

Gallup had Romney +5 for a lot of the last month of the election. It's quite clear their polling methodology was being influenced by the GOP- Romney's campaign had the same polling errors.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

The X-man cometh posted:

Mr Hootington and the rest of you brave goons going to events:

Any time a candidate mentions the importance of STEM education, can you ask them a simple math/science question? Like the sine of 2pi or the volume of a cone. Maybe what printf does.

I think it'd be fun to see how bad they flub them.

Just gotta remember that cos is horizontal and sin is vertical on the trig unit circle

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Honestly I'd be more concerned about candidates having a basic understanding of human biology

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Xelkelvos posted:

Someone fill me in on the joke since it seems like I'm missing something.

I'll happily take any chance to repost this:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

HuffPo has about 8% undecided or with no opinion on her over various polls. Given that she's probably THE most well known name in field besides Trump, it's likely there's few to no people that's still on the fence on her and the only thing that can be done is to convince people on the other side which is only a matter of degrees as while she may be disliked by a large number of people, most of those may hate her opposition more.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, what exactly are the "new" parts of the Obama coalition that didn't vote D before 2008? Other than people who were 17 and younger in 2007.

The aging populace matters, though. The average Bill O'Reilly viewer is 72. Even though they dependably vote Republican, Baby Boomers are declining in numbers as they pass away or fall into infirmity. (Although I haven't seen any hard data either way about how generational shifts affect the electorate - definitely post if you have anything.)

Alter Ego posted:

We have Republicans turning off minorities at a record pace, choosing retarded hills to die on like birth control and gay marriage, and Donald Trump.

To be fair, mainstream Republicans have been learning to shut up about gay rights and soften their rhetoric when they get cornered. They seem to have recognized they've lost the battle.

Birth control is a safe punching bag as long as Americans refuse to accept that yes, most people are having sex, and that's including your teenage kids, even if you try to pretend they aren't, and it's better for everyone if they have access to information and medicine. There's also the unspoken acceptance among the moderate left that, even if abortions should be legal, they're still tragic and morally ambiguous and should be avoided whenever possible.

funtax posted:

Again, strictly speaking, I have no idea (and neither does anyone else). I think the right GOP nominee could absolutely appeal to a decent chunk of Hispanic voters. Other cohorts are harder to appeal to, for a variety of reasons.

DaveWoo posted:

I could certainly see a candidate like Jeb! picking up enough of the Hispanic vote to put himself over the top, yes.

This is where I strongly disagree - even before Trump, the GOP leaned hard into nativism and crypto-racism against Hispanics, and since 2012 even modest attempts to move back to the center on immigration have been aggressively shot down. And my sense is the supposed conservatism of Hispanic families is hugely overstated (though I'd be interested to see data suggesting otherwise). Frankly, I think the Republicans have killed their brand with Hispanics, beyond the point of recovery.

But how do you think the GOP could appeal to Hispanics? I'm very interested in hearing arguments or seeing some polls.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mitt Romney posted:

Gallup had Romney +5 for a lot of the last month of the election. It's quite clear their polling methodology was being influenced by the GOP- Romney's campaign had the same polling errors.

ah yeah it was gallup i was thinking of, not rasmussen

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
I'm surprised Walker is doing as poorly as he is right now. He's easily the worst excuse for a human being in the race and would undoubtedly be the shittiest president we've ever had so it's weird Repubs haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

HappyHippo posted:

Hillary should just pick Bill as her VP, the collective aneurysms and subsequent mass die-off of millions of republican voters would have them coasting to victory. Then, in a 5-4 decision the supreme court rules that you can have a former 2 termer as your VP. Scalia, Thomas and Alito's heads explode and she makes three appointments. :getin:

I like the way you think, friend.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Indie Rocktopus posted:

This is where I strongly disagree - even before Trump, the GOP leaned hard into nativism and crypto-racism against Hispanics, and since 2012 even modest attempts to move back to the center on immigration have been aggressively shot down. And my sense is the supposed conservatism of Hispanic families is hugely overstated (though I'd be interested to see data suggesting otherwise). Frankly, I think the Republicans have killed their brand with Hispanics, beyond the point of recovery.

But how do you think the GOP could appeal to Hispanics? I'm very interested in hearing arguments or seeing some polls.

George W. Bush received 44% of the hispanic vote in 2004, I don't see why Jeb couldn't match that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GlyphGryph posted:

:allears: This is just precious. :allears:

I've got my example, your example, and the actual dictionary definition of on my side, still waiting to hear an argument on yours that goes beyond how you must be right because you're the one saying it.

Are you arguing that it would have had less of an impact on a different Democratic candidate? I'm pretty sure it would have been a bigger deal for someone like Bernie than it's going to be for Hillary.

Yeah and your example is wrong, simple. You tripped all over yourself trying to be contrarian.

The email "scandal" is a minor procedural matter that no one could or should ever care about if they were sane. Theft of a ream of paper would rank higher. What's next, the scandal about how O'Malley parked like a dick once in a government vehicle? The time Lincoln Chafee took home a pen?

Tell me, why do YOU care so so much about the emails?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

RIP, football kid

not pictured: Rubio screaming "bootstraps bitch, get up!" immediately after

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The number of Canadian jobs I'm applying for this cycle is increasing in direct proportionality to Donald Trump's head-to-head polling against Hillary, completely by accident. I really hope I'm not clairvoyant.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Daduzi posted:

I'll happily take any chance to repost this:

Just realized the lady in the green shirt was filming, too. WHERE IS THE SECOND TAPE? WHAT IS RUBIO HIDING?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

mdemone posted:

The number of Canadian jobs I'm applying for this cycle is increasing in direct proportionality to Donald Trump's head-to-head polling against Hillary, completely by accident. I really hope I'm not clairvoyant.

Do you really think you would have sunk this low in life if you were?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah and your example is wrong, simple. You tripped all over yourself trying to be contrarian.
Evidence, buddy. Stop simply saying stuff and actually support your claims. Provide a single piece of evidence that supports a "model" anything being the same as the "common" anything (preferably in the context we're using it here, but hell I'd settle for a lovely attempt at this point) or stop posting your wrong opinions on the English language.

quote:

Tell me, why do YOU care so so much about the emails?
I don't care about the e-mails at all. Unsurprisingly, you seem to be wrong again.

Also, very classy moving to "anyone who places import on something I think is unimportant must be literally insane". You're hitting it out of the park today, pal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brannock posted:

According to a Cursory Google Search, 52% of illegal immigrants are Mexican, and another 26% are Latin American who, as you said, come through Mexico, so it's easy to point at the Mexican border as the culprit. That on top of the drug war doesn't help matters.

The remaining 22% are split between a variety of countries and don't really draw much attention or cause trouble, so it's not really that surprising that Republicans aren't concerned about these groups.

What do you mean "cause trouble"? Illegal immigrants are less likely than Americans to engage in crime, border towns are generally safer than the majority of the US, and illegal immigrants actually pay more into government programs than they could ever hope to take out.

Trump is racist as gently caress because he tars a whole people with unjustified assertions ("WHOS DOING THE RAPING THEN") and slander. He's the most outright racist presidential candidate we've seen in at least a generation. And yes, I'm including Pat Buchanan.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Spaceman Future! posted:

Do you really think you would have sunk this low in life if you were?

:negative:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shageletic posted:

What do you mean "cause trouble"? Illegal immigrants are less likely than Americans to engage in crime, border towns are generally safer than the majority of the US, and illegal immigrants actually pay more into government programs than they could ever hope to take out.

Trump is racist as gently caress because he tars a whole people with unjustified assertions ("WHOS DOING THE RAPING THEN") and slander. He's the most outright racist presidential candidate we've seen in at least a generation. And yes, I'm including Pat Buchanan.

Via The American Prospect, a feature essay immigration with some good data backing up Shagelectic's assertions here.

quote:

Third, we showed that living in a neighborhood of concentrated immigration was associated with lower violence (again, after taking into account a host of correlated factors, including poverty and an individual’s immigrant status). Rather than generating crime, high concentrations of immigrants appear to reduce it. An average male is almost 25 percent more likely to engage in violence if he lives in a high-risk neighborhood without many immigrants than if he lives in a high-risk immigrant neighborhood.

These findings are broadly consistent with other research in criminology and provide a potential explanation of the sweeping crime drop. As foreign immigration to the United States, especially from Mexico, rose sharply in the 1990s, the proportion of first-generation immigrants increased, and that change helped reduce overall crime and improve well-being.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

please stop arguing about the semantics of common or model or whatever, no one cares

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

George W. Bush received 44% of the hispanic vote in 2004, I don't see why Jeb couldn't match that.

I'm glad to hear that you woke up from your coma of the past fifteen years. You missed a lot. Hope you get up to speed!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Frankly, I think the Republicans have killed their brand with Hispanics, beyond the point of recovery.

I doubt they can win a majority of Hispanic votes any time soon, but they can certainly compete and not simply concede preposterous margins to the Democrats. This nonsense about eliminating birthright citizenship won't still be a thing once the general election begins. It's visible to politics nerds at this point, but most people won't tune in until much later in the cycle. Look at previous general election campaigns and you'll see this happen time and time again.

quote:

Jeb speaks fluent Spanish, has Hispanic children and grandchildren (and, obviously, a Hispanic wife) and is generally not a bomb-thrower on immigration. He doesn't favor mass-deportation and doesn't spend time talking about building giant walls or hunting down and/or breaking up families of undocumented immigrants. If he became the nominee, he'd just shuffle immigration off to the side and focus on other issues, which is what his brother did.

As for polling, again, it's too early for that to really be meaningful in terms of specific candidates, but we know that while immigration is important to Hispanic voters, it's not the main issue they care about. It tends to be a potential disqualifying issue for many Hispanic voters (i.e. if a candidate's position is too extreme, it can "leapfrong" over issues the voter cares about more on a personal level), but if a potential GOP nominee has a sufficiently muted approach to immigration reform, then it's entirely possible to have 40-45% of the Hispanic vote be up for grabs.

There are lots of issues like this. Abortion, for example. Very few people consider abortion to be anywhere near the top of their list of priorities, and if a candidate can stay near the middle on either side of the debate, it's unlikely to have any impact on them. But if you stake out an overly-extreme position, it can suddenly become the only thing that people care about in your campaign.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

please stop arguing about the semantics of common or model or whatever, no one cares

I kinda like the email chat because it serves to remind me that HIllary would get in more trouble for getting her dick sucked than for skirting National Security guidelines.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i'd suck a younger hillary clintion dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't care about the e-mails at all. Unsurprisingly, you seem to be wrong again.

Your post earlier this afternoon seems to say otherwise:

GlyphGryph posted:

The email thing should be a big deal, but the response I've seen most often is that people just don't care.

How is that not you saying that you agree that it's a big deal?

Also yeah, the only people who "care" are Republicans who also believe she killed vince foster and so on, so they would in fact be insane.

• Locked thread