Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Congress has had an approval rating below 30% since forever. The prevailing anti-politician cynicism in the west has finally caught onto the US presidential election as well. This is the same phenomenon Trump is riding.

Edit: If anything, in retrospect Obama feels like a huge aberration in the 2000s, a candidate people wanted to vote for instead of voting against the other guy.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it's hilarious that Trump is both the most favoured and the most unfavoured of the GOP candidates. That makes no loving sense at all.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

I think it's hilarious that Trump is both the most favoured and the most unfavoured of the GOP candidates. That makes no loving sense at all.

Really? I'm sure that was true of, say, Rob Ford in Toronto vs John Tory.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PT6A posted:

To paraphrase,

quote:

Researcher: The average likely voter listens for eighteen minutes. The average Donald Trump voter listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
Priebus: How can that be?
Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Priebus: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Trump?
Researcher: Good point. The average Trump hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
Priebus: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

LOL Even better than the last one.

I hope Jeb!'s desperate ad buy spurs team Trump to start airing TV ads this fall too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PT6A posted:

People definitely have an opinion on him, whereas many people don't feel strongly either way about, for instance, Kasich.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

OAquinas posted:

To paraphrase,

Double Effffff Oh Ex.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Also known as "no one gives a poo poo about your Facebook likes and YouTube hits if it doesn't result in actual legislative action or court victories."

Truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2g19ZTr3gc

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

...he hasn't said that exactly. But yeah, if he lets insurance companies sell between state lines, that will drive prices way the hell down for consumers.

Wanna talk more about this? I was always under the impression that allowing the above would shred regulations and protections set up for the protection of consumers by state legislatures, i.e. being the difference between what you are expected to get in New York versus something like Mississippi.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Joementum posted:

Hillary Clinton, part of the full transcript of her meeting with Black Lives Matter activists.

Thanks for posting this. I read the whole article, and my opinion on the conversation is:

1.Clinton was doing a bit of rhetorical and psychological gymnastics excusing bad policies/laws her or her husbanded supported. I don't think she was doing it in a malicious manner, it's just human nature to rationalize. Progressives like Bernie saw some of these bad policies/laws for what they were at the time, so pleading ignorance or hindsight doesn't sit well with me for certain topics.
2. BLM: "We're angry. poo poo's broke and some if it's your fault. We need change and we need you to fix this."
3. Clinton: "Yeah, poo poo's broke, I've made mistakes in hindsight. What do you want me to do? Give me an action plan or a policy paper." ... and repeat
4. BLM: "We're angry. poo poo's broke and some if it's your fault. We need change and we need you to fix this."
5. Clinton: "Yeah, poo poo's broke, I've made mistakes in hindsight. What do you want me to do? Give me an action plan or a policy paper."

I wasn't impressed by Clinton morally and she seems like someone that's spent too long in the bubble of wealth/power. In terms of my criticism of BLM, speaking from experience, if you get a meeting with "the boss" and you're angry about something and trying to present a problem and want a solution implemented, come truly prepared. This means action plan, metrics (if possible), bullet points, something written up that they'll take seriously.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 18, 2015

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 3 years!)

lol ben carson thinks that planned parenthood targets blacks to control the population.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Dahbadu posted:

Thanks for posting this. I read the whole article, and my opinion on the conversation is:

1.Clinton was doing a bit of rhetorical and psychological gymnastics excusing bad policies/laws her or her husbanded supported. I don't think she was doing it in a malicious manner, it's just human nature to rationalize. Progressives like Bernie saw some of these bad policies/laws for what they were at the time, so pleading ignorance or hindsight doesn't sit well with me for certain topics.
2. BLM: "We're angry. poo poo's broke and some if it's you're fault. We need change and we need you to fix this."
3. Clinton: "Yeah, poo poo's broke, I've made mistakes in hindsight. What do you want me to do? Give me an action plan or a policy paper." ... and repeat
4. BLM: "We're angry. poo poo's broke and some if it's you're fault. We need change and we need you to fix this."
5. Clinton: "Yeah, poo poo's broke, I've made mistakes in hindsight. What do you want me to do? Give me an action plan or a policy paper."

I wasn't impressed by Clinton morally and she seems like someone that's spent too long in the bubble of wealth/power. In terms of my criticism of BLM, speaking from experience, if you get a meeting with "the boss" and you're angry about something and trying to present a problem and want a solution implemented, come truly prepared. This means action plan, metrics (if possible), bullet points, something written up that they'll take seriously.

Can you point to some specific statements from Clinton that made you not impressed morally? Or at the least expand on what you meant? Was it just because she didn't fully acknowledge the role her husband's administration played in mass incarceration and other bad policies, or was there more?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CuteJen96 posted:

lol ben carson thinks that planned parenthood targets blacks to control the population.

It's amazing. Every time one of these geniuses opens their mouth, except perhaps Kasich because he seems abnormally sane for a primary candidate, Trump looks better and better by comparison.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Really? I'm sure that was true of, say, Rob Ford in Toronto vs John Tory.

I still don't understand how John "I wannabe the next Mike Harris" Tory won that election.
Crackhead or not, Ford was still the lesser of the two evils.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And more people move to the Donald's loving, comparatively sane embrace...

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

And more people move to the Donald's loving, comparatively sane embrace...

Where do you get this misconception that sanity has anything to do with the current GOP field?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Well that does make more sense than Rand Paul's plan involving a chainsaw, at least.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Is Santorum aspiring to the giddy heights of Rand Paul's single-digit polling by copying his stunts?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hillary did an interview Friday for Ipr' show river to river airing today. It is in depth policy talk. The guy seems to be grilling her a bit and she gave a few answers others here may or may not enjoy.

I'll toss up the link later if no one else does.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

theblackw0lf posted:

Can you point to some specific statements from Clinton that made you not impressed morally? Or at the least expand on what you meant? Was it just because she didn't fully acknowledge the role her husband's administration played in mass incarceration and other bad policies, or was there more?

I can't speak directly to their own unimpressment, but I can sympathize a little, as she's previously spoken on Bill's contribution to mass incarceration policy but didn't really do the same in what I've read/heard of that particular meeting. It comes off as just politically canny, as the concept of "it's OK to change your mind if you realize you were wrong before and are seeking to remedy that wrong" hasn't reached sufficient saturation in the electorate so she's basically doing the tapdance around "I was wrong then, I've changed since and want to make it right" by saying "the environment was different back then and things that were going on then aren't the same now, etc."

Folks would be right to be morally unimpressed (or underwhelmed, etc) because it's a pretty lukewarm response.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Spaceman Future! posted:

Where do you get this misconception that sanity has anything to do with the current GOP field?

Just an assumption on my part that even GOP primary voters don't want a complete lunatic. I could be wrong.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

Just an assumption on my part that even GOP primary voters don't want a complete lunatic. I could be wrong.

Your assumption is invalid Allen West served in office.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

theblackw0lf posted:

I don't want to get into the weeds of it right now. But suffice it to say, that a lot of Clinton policies/laws were reactionary products of their time, some driven by sensationalist media narratives or catering to the center to avoid attacks from the right. Legit progressives called some of the bad policy for what it was.

For example, the way to reduce crime? Living wages, make sure people have stable housing, easy access to health services, empowered public schools, and more cops on the street (preferably from the community they're policing). In their defense, they got the "more cops" part right.

Edit:

Keep in mind that I'm not one of these people that think the Clintons are evil or horrible or whatever. If Clinton wins the primary, I'll be drat sure to vote for her. I'm just not putting a Clinton bumper sticker on my car.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 18, 2015

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

CuteJen96 posted:

This is in general consensus among Freeper types. To them Planned Parenthood is a eugenics program targeted towards blacks that was funded by the Bush family.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Who?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

Your assumption is invalid Allen West served in office.

Isn't that, like, the flash, or something

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Montasque posted:

This is in general consensus among Freeper types. To them Planned Parenthood is a eugenics program targeted towards blacks that was funded by the Bush family.

So you're saying they support it? :freep:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

It may jog your memory if you change the ad to "Flush the tax code"

Ignite Memories posted:

Isn't that, like, the flash, or something

naw dog thats Barry Manilow

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well that does make more sense than Rand Paul's plan involving a chainsaw, at least.

Don't forget, Rand also used fire.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Dahbadu posted:

I don't want to get into the weeds of it right now. But suffice it to say, that a lot of Clinton policies/laws were reactionary products of their time, some driven by sensationalist media narratives or catering to the center to avoid attacks from the right. Legit progressives called some of the bad policy for what it was.

For example, the way to reduce crime? Living wages, make sure people have stable housing, easy access to health services, empowered public schools, and more cops on the street (preferably from the community they're policing). In their defense, they got the "more cops" part right.

Edit:

Keep in mind that I'm not one of these people that think the Clintons are evil or horrible or whatever. If Clinton wins the primary, I'll be drat sure to vote for her. I'm just not putting a Clinton bumper sticker on my car.

Oh I agree with your view of the Clinton administration. I just thought you were talking about what she said at the meeting.

If you look at the bills she's supported as Senator she seems to be have been addressing some of what you just mentioned.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So you're saying they support it? :freep:

You would think so... But Freep seems to really like the "one of the good ones" candidates if you get my drift... They also love saying that liberals are the true racists, and that they see black people as equals who are capable of BOOTSTRAPPING to greatness.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

PT6A posted:

Only Nixon could go to China, etc. Plenty of people see the monsters running the world and assume it's a job requirement, so they back people they loathe because dicks gently caress pussies and also assholes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shageletic posted:

Wanna talk more about this? I was always under the impression that allowing the above would shred regulations and protections set up for the protection of consumers by state legislatures, i.e. being the difference between what you are expected to get in New York versus something like Mississippi.

If it were combined with more stringent federal regulations it might drive down prices and increase quality by improving the bargaining power of the insurers vs regional hospital monopolies who are in large part driving the crazy growth in health care costs, but we all know that the GOP doesn't want that to be a part of the deal.

So what would happen is insurers would do what credit card companies did and move to whatever state gave them the loosest regulations. Insurance would be useless but at least the premiums would be cheap!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mirthless posted:

Well yeah Trump is probably still a jerk. Just saying, the dude projects the image of somebody in way over his head, it's easy to forget he's probably rich for a good reason. Nobody becomes a self made billionaire on accident

He's not self made or whatever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
We kind of missed our chance in 2012 to see a republican candidate rape the tax code.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Sign him up for the Bears I guess.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

euphronius posted:

He's not self made or whatever.

People in this very thread are in so deep on the Trump Express that it's making them unironically shill for him, it's ker-razy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I just kind of assumed that was walker from the bald spot. Dang rubio I'm sorry for your loss dawg

• Locked thread