Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Goku not being on earth led to seven long years of complete peace. He chose to live away from his family and friends in order to protect them and the earth from the the crazy poo poo he attracts, and it completely worked

The opposite reading is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I accept that Goku isn't actually a bad dad, but choose to believe he is because I find it funny.

I will continue to post Goku is a bad dad in internet discussions about DBZ.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxBRduVj3CM

you guys should try watching the actual show instead of DBZA

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxBRduVj3CM

you guys should try watching the actual show instead of DBZA

Are you implying that the Abridged Series is bad? If you are,then :frogout:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Goku not being on earth led to seven long years of complete peace. He chose to live away from his family and friends in order to protect them and the earth from the the crazy poo poo he attracts, and it completely worked

that's bs and you know it. goku has brought danger on earth through just his existence only once (raditz/vegeta/nappa). the rest of the times things threatened earth it was because he left business unfinished by loving around (frieza/dr gero). maybe goku could have lived with his family and stop loving around with his enemies instead of disappearing from his family for years and leaving his enemies ample time to get revenge on him. hell, did freeza even come to earth for goku the first time? goku was still on yardrat and freeza was more than happy to murder his family with him not around (and only trunks saved them from that fate). hell, goku's choice to ditch earth made it easier for the buu situation to get much worse thank to having to rely on a stopgap measure to help everyone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

VolticSurge posted:

Are you implying that the Abridged Series is bad? If you are,then :frogout:

:shibe:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the problem is the show isn't really aware of how weird Goku comes off. Like he has the Cell scenes, the completely inexplicable wife and children and the general unawareness of anything unrelating to punchmans, but then it still writes scenes where he's this wholesome family guy everyone loves even though this never seems to be the case at any other time. I mean seriously, show me one scene in the entire show where he and Chi Chi have the slightest bit of chemistry and they actually have a reason to care about each other, it's just not there

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Darko posted:

- Goku's idiocy and disconnect with family makes perfect sense, since he had a "father" for like 4 years that taught him martial arts before he killed him by stepping on him, and grew up as a wild kid in the wildlands for the rest of his life. Vegeta aint much better, really, but still. The idea is that Goku has a good heart, but he's still going to always be that wild kid, and not fully "civilized."

Huh, I never thought about it, and I know this is way overthinking things, but this is a lot like reactive attachment disorder. It's a rare thing, but if a child fails to form normal attachments with their caregivers during their first few years, for whatever reason - including abrupt separation - kids can develop this really, really awful disorder that's extremely difficult to treat and permanently, seriously fucks up their ability to have any kind of appropriate relationship with other humans.

But, point is, there's two types. It can either present as inhibited form, or as disinhibited form. Disinhibited presents as "indiscriminate sociability, such as excessive familiarity with relative strangers", "poorly modulated peer interactions", "not having a discriminated, preferred attachment figure" (arguable, but I'd say Goku treats Roshi/Kami/King Kai as pretty interchangeable) "not checking back after venturing away from the caregiver", "lack of reticence with unfamiliar adults", "a willingness to go off with relative strangers", etc.

In other words, Goku's actually just a pretty realistic representation of what a kid raised by wolves might actually act like.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Condiv posted:

that's bs and you know it. goku has brought danger on earth through just his existence only once (raditz/vegeta/nappa). the rest of the times things threatened earth it was because he left business unfinished by loving around (frieza/dr gero). maybe goku could have lived with his family and stop loving around with his enemies instead of disappearing from his family for years and leaving his enemies ample time to get revenge on him. hell, did freeza even come to earth for goku the first time? goku was still on yardrat and freeza was more than happy to murder his family with him not around (and only trunks saved them from that fate). hell, goku's choice to ditch earth made it easier for the buu situation to get much worse thank to having to rely on a stopgap measure to help everyone.

dr gero is really not fair since hardly anyone knew he existed, much less that he was alive.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

daily reminder that almost immediately after Goku gave his speech about how the earth will be safer without him bojack nearly killed everyone.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

XboxPants posted:

Huh, I never thought about it, and I know this is way overthinking things, but this is a lot like reactive attachment disorder. It's a rare thing, but if a child fails to form normal attachments with their caregivers during their first few years, for whatever reason - including abrupt separation - kids can develop this really, really awful disorder that's extremely difficult to treat and permanently, seriously fucks up their ability to have any kind of appropriate relationship with other humans.

But, point is, there's two types. It can either present as inhibited form, or as disinhibited form. Disinhibited presents as "indiscriminate sociability, such as excessive familiarity with relative strangers", "poorly modulated peer interactions", "not having a discriminated, preferred attachment figure" (arguable, but I'd say Goku treats Roshi/Kami/King Kai as pretty interchangeable) "not checking back after venturing away from the caregiver", "lack of reticence with unfamiliar adults", "a willingness to go off with relative strangers", etc.

In other words, Goku's actually just a pretty realistic representation of what a kid raised by wolves might actually act like.

Neat! I somehow doubt this is intentional, but cool analysis.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Man, this DB Multiverse special has really just taken a nose dive straight into the loving toilet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

daily reminder that almost immediately after Goku gave his speech about how the earth will be safer without him bojack nearly killed everyone.

I don't like to argue about canon, but in this case it's really worth bearing in mind the movies aren't canon

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

and actually nappa and vegeta weren't there for goku, they were there because of the dragonballs. raditz was the only danger goku ever attracted just by existing on earth

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I think the problem is the show isn't really aware of how weird Goku comes off. Like he has the Cell scenes, the completely inexplicable wife and children and the general unawareness of anything unrelating to punchmans, but then it still writes scenes where he's this wholesome family guy everyone loves even though this never seems to be the case at any other time. I mean seriously, show me one scene in the entire show where he and Chi Chi have the slightest bit of chemistry and they actually have a reason to care about each other, it's just not there

Their honeymoon episodes if you're talking about the show.

In the manga, there isn't really a disconnect. Goku only barely acts different from the kid fishing with his tail that Bulma ran into, and is pretty much going to stay that character.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Vegeta and Goku are both terrible dads compared to Krillin. I trust we can all agree on this

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Farecoal posted:

Vegeta and Goku are both terrible dads compared to Krillin. I trust we can all agree on this

poo poo, Krillin actually IS the best human.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Farecoal posted:

it'd be hard for them not to be, krillin's the best period

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goku owns and you are all dorks.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Krillin is a kung fu cop with a heart of gold

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Goku owns and you are all dorks.

goku does own, that doesn't change the fact that he's a poo poo dad

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kelp Plankton posted:

Krillin is a kung fu cop with a heart of gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmKfA3tO8dg

:allears:

i reallly really really hope krillin gets god ki in super

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Condiv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmKfA3tO8dg

:allears:

i reallly really really hope krillin gets god ki in super

it was loving bullshit that we couldn't see 18 in action in that movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krillin is sort of absurdly the winner of life. Yeah, he died a couple times but the end result is that he basically has a dream life while also being pretty much strong enough to effectively be a god in any other series.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I wonder how many paparazzi Vegeta killed before Bulma explained what they are to him. And then how many more he killed after he found out.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
YOU STUPID!!! HE WANTED TO SAVE YOU!!!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Monaghan posted:

it was loving bullshit that we couldn't see 18 in action in that movie.

Yeah it's dumb she keeps getting sidelined

We got robbed of a chance to see 18 vs Frieza which would be rad

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

if dbs had an arc dedicated to krillin's family just loving around, fighting bad guys and hanging out i would be ok with that

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bacontotem posted:

I wonder how many paparazzi Vegeta killed before Bulma explained what they are to him. And then how many more he killed after he found out.

I don't know Vegeta might almost like a fan club that'll treat him like the Prince he thinks he is.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cop Krillin should get at least as many episodes as Great Saiyaman did

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Man, this DB Multiverse special has really just taken a nose dive straight into the loving toilet.

god it's so boring

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
18 vs Freeza probably would have been better than anything else in Resurrection F.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

18 vs Freeza probably would have been better than anything else in Resurrection F.

You really into watching women get beat up or something? Freeza one punched Gohan who was still probably the strongest of the bunch. 18 would have gotten sprawled the se way the rest of the cast was in battle of the gods.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

It's the only place you can go when you start on the toilet seat. Nearly every special is boring except the Gast one and I guess Bad Art Bojack.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Caros posted:

You really into watching women get beat up or something? Freeza one punched Gohan who was still probably the strongest of the bunch. 18 would have gotten sprawled the se way the rest of the cast was in battle of the gods.

Don't Kinkshame

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darko posted:

Their honeymoon episodes if you're talking about the show.

In the manga, there isn't really a disconnect. Goku only barely acts different from the kid fishing with his tail that Bulma ran into, and is pretty much going to stay that character.

The original Dragonball never got a run when I was a kid so I didn't see the honeymoon stuff, but that he never really changes from the preteen kid is kinda my point, which is that he's a perpetual manchild who just likes fighting that the plot occasionally pretends is a functional adult person

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Squallege posted:

It's the only place you can go when you start on the toilet seat. Nearly every special is boring except the Gast one and I guess Bad Art Bojack.

And from the looks of it, it's going into another special immediately afterwards? :cripes:

At least the main artist is doing this next one, so it won't look like poo poo.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Since Dragon Ball Heroes has playable Kai characters, I was thinking of adding them to Parallels. The question is, do I call them "Kai" or "Shin"? Or "Shinjin", I guess, but that's too close to "Saiyan" for my liking.

I'll probably stick with "Kai".

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Speaking of, the surprise new character for the Dragon Ball Heroes update is...

...youth restored Kami. Or Young Kami. Or something. An interesting choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

bobjr posted:

The bad parent thing comes more from giving Cell a senzu than anything else I think. There's believing in your son, then there's giving the enemy who wants to kill him a full heal.

I always thought of that as Goku trying to be a good dad but failing like "Gohan is going to have so much fun fighting Cell, gotta make sure he's at full strength or Gohan won't have fun"

• Locked thread