Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

ghosthorse posted:

Thought maybe that was the 401 in Ontario. Welcome to North America's widest/the world's busiest highway!

Marvel at its 18 lanes of traffic!

Gaze in wonder at its seemingly nonsensical design!

Get stuck on it for hours after regular 40+ car pile-ups (available between Windsor and London on a 200km stretch of road hell during the 90's)!

See it with only one car after they begrudgingly closed it only because a giant propane factory exploded!

Be caught in its endless road widening and resurfacing!

But seriously, getting stuck on the 401 heading through or into Toronto for like 2 hours is something almost every Ontario driver gets to experience at least once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OquSczOMkO4&t=118s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Hey guys, let me link you to The Something Awful Forums Discussion Ask / Tell › Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer! for all your road planning needs.

And let's return to the finer details of post-soviet DIY architecture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Default Settings posted:

Hey guys, let me link you to The Something Awful Forums Discussion Ask / Tell › Ask me about being a Traffic Engineer! for all your road planning needs.

And let's return to the finer details of post-soviet DIY architecture.

What happened there? Did the building owner decide to build an extension with whatever he had lying around?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Angela Christine posted:

What happened there? Did the building owner decide to build an extension with whatever he had lying around?

It's a seed, where a new Kowloon can spur up one day.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Angela Christine posted:

No, I am sure this has all been thought through well, and permitted by proper authorities.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Default Settings posted:

No, I am sure this has all been thought through well, and permitted by proper authorities.

Holy poo poo. Are those 4" diameter poles or 2x4s (with no anchor in the concrete I see) (not that it would matter). Either way, that's insane. If any one of those flexes, that whole poo poo-show is coming down.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Don't forget I-5 just North of San Diego.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9127623,-117.2335355,430a,20y,90h,41.63t/data=!3m1!1e3

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Larry Parrish posted:

The worst part about American public transit is the people who think it would magically be better if it was suddenly really annoying to drive yourself places. Can you imagine being forced to walk a few blocks in a shithole like downtown Sacramento or Stockton.

gently caress you. Sacramento and stockton are in no way comparable.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 19, 2015

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

ghosthorse posted:

Thought maybe that was the 401 in Ontario. Welcome to North America's widest/the world's busiest highway!

Pick up the pilot of burning french airliner from the side of the highway and give him a ride to the hospital!
(This actually happened)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dre2Dee2 posted:

the crown jewel in the Jersey crown
Uhhm... thats not a "crown". Its an infected head wound... that a bird poo poo on.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bird in a Blender posted:

Cleveland has what I consider good public transportation for its size (300k people). The issue is that so many jobs left Cleveland for the suburbs, and the transportation system is definitely not good in the suburbs. Cleveland has three train lines, and buses all over the place, with one rapid bus line that takes people from downtown to two main ares, Cleveland Clinic and Case Western. Train coverage could really use some improvement, but that is unlikely to change, and the buses only come every 15-20 minutes. If they got their poo poo together with actually charging people, they might be able to afford a better system.

I'm interested in knowing about these buses and poo poo because my city in the UK has about the same amount of people and there's a billion buses to everywhere running all day long from early morning to late at night. I've never been in a US city and used public transport, I've always had a car. LA seems like a nightmarish place to try and traverse if you don't own a car.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

88h88 posted:

I'm interested in knowing about these buses and poo poo because my city in the UK has about the same amount of people and there's a billion buses to everywhere running all day long from early morning to late at night. I've never been in a US city and used public transport, I've always had a car. LA seems like a nightmarish place to try and traverse if you don't own a car.

I think Cleaveland is like if Liverpool in the 80's just kinda stayed that way until modern times and all the regeneration instead happened in a giant belt of suburbs around the city.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I find the differences between Europe and America in architetual failures very interesting. However there is a general truth to both cases.

In Europe, the two main influences are modernism and war.
Take Germany. Every big city was pretty much entirely gone. Of course the rebuilding phase was in the 60's, so the architecture looks like poo poo. It's obvious now that everything which was restored looks good and everything which was done new in the 60's and 70's is poo poo.

In France, specifically Paris, approaches like le Corboursier are rationally understandably. If you live in Paris as I do, you see that it is incomparably dense. Compare it to cities like Berlin, there is literally half the space and twice the amount of people. It is reasonably well organized as could be possible in these circumstances, but it will always be full and dirty no matter what you do.
Take the Olympiades

That project was about as well done as could be, but it is ugly as gently caress and today only immigrants live there. Was supposed to be luxury appartements.

One has to ask: Why was it not obvious that the 'modern' architecture looks like poo poo compared to the beautiful buildings in Paris? But wait! What are they building now? If you look closely and step back, you'll see that they are doing the same poo poo now. Look at this

This is what they build a lot. Okay it's Berlin so they are pretty much building a zillion buildings at the same time, but maybe that's the problem.
I am almost convinced that we will regret this in twenty years.
I mean it's even more so: Restoring the Industrial heritage for example in the Ruhrgebiet, looks much more beautiful even now, fourty years after, than new buildings in "post-modern" style.

So what seems true: If we go ahead and rennovate, remodernize or even rebuild in the old style, especially in Paris, Berlin, Brussels etc, we would have MUCH more beautiful cities. These old styles span quite a time which is why there is a lot of variety already included. But it flows with the image we have of our city and the current style. Any new building in Paris which does not conform to this will ultimately be a disaster. Berlin, well, it's already ugly but restoring something like so

Compare to the one above. Now tell me which one will look like poo poo in twenty years....

Wen I look at America, the problem is a bit different. Many cities basically never got to grow organically into big cities before modern architecture happened. There is less old substance to build upon and less old architecture and city styles which we must conform to. For cities like Houston, presented earlier itt, there really is no style which has grown over centuries which we can emulate. Of course for cities like NYC this is different, but then the issues in NYC are as well. Also there are some east-coast cities I like.
But most of the land is not East-Coast. And especially when I visited the Mid-West and Texas, I was pretty appalled.

In my opinion, and this is controversial, the median city in the USA should build an inner city which is pretty much like Main Street USA in Disneyland. I know I know, but I think this style is distinctly American and it offers architectual beauty and unity which is not found in modern architecture. The advantage of having an inner city/center (or several) furthermore is that it ties together the city and gives it character, which, sorry to say, most cities in the USA completely lack.

I have seen midwest small to medium sized towns which are just laughably lovely compared to their European equivalents. Either a run down main street as a center, or that concept is already given up on and one just builds around a Highway and a Wal-Mart.
That is no way to live or design a city.
Cities should model either New-England style architecture (hence Disneyland) or maybe Latino style inner cities centered around plazas and the like. In any case, many cities do have hundreds of years of history and can expect hundreds of years of future. Now would be the time to start building the substance in a style we know is beautiful and fitting, which are the ones I said above.

So really, look at the cultural roots and style of cities and even country which has been grown and adapt it with gentle innovation. Everything else looks like rear end - if not now, then in twenty years.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 19, 2015

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Just to show it isn't just americans that can gently caress up suburbs: a fun story about a london suburb being built without transport, shops, or anything other than houses link
It's still a whole other level compared to US suburban sprawl.

This is a pretty dense area, and "without transport" for this area means 24 hour buses running every 5 minutes during the day, every 30 minutes or so at night. I've been there and it's really not that bad. It's too bad that the rail transport still hasn't been built, but it's still quite easy to get in and out.

It's good to see that it finally has a shop or two now as well. There's still a lot to be done but hey, it's quite cheap for London so I'm sure it'll develop and eventually get some sort of atmosphere.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Boner Slam posted:

I find the differences between Europe and America in architetual failures very interesting. However there is a general truth to both cases.

In Europe, the two main influences are modernism and war.
Take Germany. Every big city was pretty much entirely gone. Of course the rebuilding phase was in the 60's, so the architecture looks like poo poo. It's obvious now that everything which was restored looks good and everything which was done new in the 60's and 70's is poo poo.

In France, specifically Paris, approaches like le Corboursier are rationally understandably. If you live in Paris as I do, you see that it is incomparably dense. Compare it to cities like Berlin, there is literally half the space and twice the amount of people. It is reasonably well organized as could be possible in these circumstances, but it will always be full and dirty no matter what you do.
Take the Olympiades

That project was about as well done as could be, but it is ugly as gently caress and today only immigrants live there. Was supposed to be luxury appartements.

One has to ask: Why was it not obvious that the 'modern' architecture looks like poo poo compared to the beautiful buildings in Paris? But wait! What are they building now? If you look closely and step back, you'll see that they are doing the same poo poo now. Look at this

This is what they build a lot. Okay it's Berlin so they are pretty much building a zillion buildings at the same time, but maybe that's the problem.
I am almost convinced that we will regret this in twenty years.
I mean it's even more so: Restoring the Industrial heritage for example in the Ruhrgebiet, looks much more beautiful even now, fourty years after, than new buildings in "post-modern" style.

So what seems true: If we go ahead and rennovate, remodernize or even rebuild in the old style, especially in Paris, Berlin, Brussels etc, we would have MUCH more beautiful cities. These old styles span quite a time which is why there is a lot of variety already included. But it flows with the image we have of our city and the current style. Any new building in Paris which does not conform to this will ultimately be a disaster. Berlin, well, it's already ugly but restoring something like so

Compare to the one above. Now tell me which one will look like poo poo in twenty years....

Wen I look at America, the problem is a bit different. Many cities basically never got to grow organically into big cities before modern architecture happened. There is less old substance to build upon and less old architecture and city styles which we must conform to. For cities like Houston, presented earlier itt, there really is no style which has grown over centuries which we can emulate. Of course for cities like NYC this is different, but then the issues in NYC are as well. Also there are some east-coast cities I like.
But most of the land is not East-Coast. And especially when I visited the Mid-West and Texas, I was pretty appalled.

In my opinion, and this is controversial, the median city in the USA should build an inner city which is pretty much like Main Street USA in Disneyland. I know I know, but I think this style is distinctly American and it offers architectual beauty and unity which is not found in modern architecture. The advantage of having an inner city/center (or several) furthermore is that it ties together the city and gives it character, which, sorry to say, most cities in the USA completely lack.

I have seen midwest small to medium sized towns which are just laughably lovely compared to their European equivalents. Either a run down main street as a center, or that concept is already given up on and one just builds around a Highway and a Wal-Mart.
That is no way to live or design a city.
Cities should model either New-England style architecture (hence Disneyland) or maybe Latino style inner cities centered around plazas and the like. In any case, many cities do have hundreds of years of history and can expect hundreds of years of future. Now would be the time to start building the substance in a style we know is beautiful and fitting, which are the ones I said above.

So really, look at the cultural roots and style of cities and even country which has been grown and adapt it with gentle innovation. Everything else looks like rear end - if not now, then in twenty years.

So basically you prefer nostalgic post modern abortions over actual interesting architecture, got it.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Roy posted:

So basically you prefer nostalgic post modern abortions over actual interesting architecture, got it.

The thing about Le Corboursier and the likes is that even in the "successful Signaporian" project posted earlier, the actual buildings still look like poo poo. So you might prefer that, I do not

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Looking at those highway pictures, I'm never going to complain about Auckland traffic again. :stare:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

88h88 posted:

If you want, you can visit the Cleveland RTA website and see everything for the buses.
http://www.riderta.com/routes/Bus

This is the entire system map, so it gives you an idea of coverage.
http://www.riderta.com/sites/default/files/pdf/maps/System_Map_Main.pdf

Some buses run 24 hours, but those are on only the major lines. The trains tend to run on essentially a 22 hour schedule. They're usually down between 2 AM and 4 AM. It could definitely be worse, and it would be a lot better if Cleveland was back at its old density. This is a city that peaked at 900,000 people and it's now 400,000. Population density is 5,100 per square mile, whereas a city like Liverpool has 465,000 people, but 10,000 per square mile.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Anticheese posted:

Looking at those highway pictures, I'm never going to complain about Auckland traffic again. :stare:

It definitely makes drivers into insane assholes too, driving in Houston for a couple weeks took years off my life and I can never complain about local traffic again either.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Roy posted:

Nobody wants to live in a hive. It doesn't matter how "interesting" or "efficient" it's supposed to be. People keep creating human hives and then are loving baffled when everyone with any money leaves. If eaves and shutters help a building feel more like a home then just go with it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

88h88 posted:

Downtown LA is quite good for walking. I stayed at a friend's apartment there for a week and had an easy time getting places. Just don't plan on good transit outside of downtown.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Skinny King Pimp posted:

yeah, looks like an express lane or HOV lane and they open up every so often to merge back into regular traffic and sometimes have their own exits

plus that's not even that bad. spaghetti junction in atlanta is way more confusing and can be terrifying when there are huge trucks and nobody's letting you merge into traffic

Man, the sad thing about this: this isn't the only spaghetti junction in Atlanta. This one is in the center of the metro area where I-20 and I-85 cross, but there is a second one at the north side of the metro area where I-85 crosses the I-285 perimeter highway that circles the city. It's just as stupid looking and I believe is the one that Outkast wrote a song about on Stankonia

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pead posted:

Man, the sad thing about this: this isn't the only spaghetti junction in Atlanta. This one is in the center of the metro area where I-20 and I-85 cross, but there is a second one at the north side of the metro area where I-85 crosses the I-285 perimeter highway that circles the city. It's just as stupid looking and I believe is the one that Outkast wrote a song about on Stankonia

I think it's the almost-symmetric-but-not that offends me the most about it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pead posted:

This looks like a failed attempt at building a cloverleaf junction.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
As a native of southern CA it's cute seeing everyone freak out about your little freeways.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

flosofl posted:

I think it's the almost-symmetric-but-not that offends me the most about it.

The thing that kills me is they made an exit that provides two separate ways to get back to the same highway you just left since it's so hard to cross lanes heading into the thing, especially during rush hour

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Bar Crow posted:

Nobody wants to live in a hive. It doesn't matter how "interesting" or "efficient" it's supposed to be. People keep creating human hives and then are loving baffled when everyone with any money leaves. If eaves and shutters help a building feel more like a home then just go with it.

I'll point again to the Barbican in London.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

blowfish posted:

This looks like a failed attempt at building a cloverleaf junction.

From a traffic standpoint, cloverleafs are terrible compared to flyovers like that. They have much tighter radius turns and substantially more conflict points.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

They are building both of these styles in areas of downtown D.C. these days, and there's even a hybridization of the two. While the top on looks sleek and modern, I'm having trouble picturing it looking shifty in 30 years (though i have no doubt it will). The hybridized styles look like subdued versions of post-Communist presidential mansions ( I'm thinking of the ones in central Asia).

The sad/weird thing is that so many of D.C's brownstone townhouses are now historical buildings that cannot be torn down is that they're jacked up and moved into nearby parking lots to make room for the new building developments. I don't think there's much thought given to what happens next.

ghosthorse posted:

Marvel at its 18 lanes of traffic!

Gaze in wonder at its seemingly nonsensical design!

Get stuck on it for hours after regular 40+ car pile-ups (available between Windsor and London on a 200km stretch of road hell during the 90's)!

See it with only one car after they begrudgingly closed it only because a giant propane factory exploded!

Be caught in its endless road widening and resurfacing!

But seriously, getting stuck on the 401 heading through or into Toronto for like 2 hours is something almost every Ontario driver gets to experience at least once.

I read all of this as an MST3K back-and-forth between Servo and Crow with Mike Nelson commenting for the last paragraph.

Backweb fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 20, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
No traffic you post will ever compare to the carefully crafted torture-scape contained herein:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

88h88 posted:

Getting around LA in public transit really isn't too bad. I had a car when I lived there but did all my commuting via transit and it was always clean, frequent, and on time. This was mainly around downtown and the east side for the record.

Edit: The best part of the LA highway map is east of downtown where the 5, 710, 10, 60, and 101 all mash together.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 20, 2015

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
It's always been my home and I love it here, but L.A.'s skyline is pretty 80's. It looks like Oklahoma city or some other midwest city.

So we put this building up.

Bonus ugly building

818 whatup

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Munin posted:

I'll point again to the Barbican in London.

Yeah but that's in the loving middle of London. People would pay to live in a shantytown on the same location.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

drat NIGGA posted:

Bonus ugly building

1100 Wilshire was also converted into condos in 2007 and was super vacant for quite a while (dunno if it still is).

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah but that's in the loving middle of London. People would pay to live in a shantytown on the same location.

Flats in this old beaut are going for £375,000. It's not even that central.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mark-tower.html

People who think everyone will always hate brutalism are hilarious.

People just associate it with poverty. The reason why some people dislike it is the same reason why white people in general don't wear gang colours or addidas tracksuits.

Roy fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 21, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Again, it's loving Zone 2 London. And "not even that central" my rear end, it's right on the loving Circle Line.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 21, 2015

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Here's the latest monstrosity from London:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/aug/19/take-a-dip-35-metres-up-in-londons-sky-pool#img-1

OK, it's a cool idea in theory, but having an outdoor pool in the UK is utterly ridiculous. It'll be completely packed about 2 weeks of the year when we actually get summer weather, and abandoned most of the year. The apartment blocks themselves just look ugly, a bit like student accommodation, so you're paying a huge amount just for this novelty pool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roy posted:

white people in general don't wear gang colours or addidas tracksuits.

That's racist against slavs.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

netally posted:

Here's the latest monstrosity from London:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/aug/19/take-a-dip-35-metres-up-in-londons-sky-pool#img-1

OK, it's a cool idea in theory, but having an outdoor pool in the UK is utterly ridiculous. It'll be completely packed about 2 weeks of the year when we actually get summer weather, and abandoned most of the year. The apartment blocks themselves just look ugly, a bit like student accommodation, so you're paying a huge amount just for this novelty pool.

True, but with a gimmick like that you can charge an even higher price from the foreigners who will inevitably buy all the flats as investment objects only to let them sit empty for 360 days a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

drat NIGGA posted:

It's always been my home and I love it here, but L.A.'s skyline is pretty 80's. It looks like Oklahoma city or some other midwest city.

So we put this building up.

Bonus ugly building

818 whatup

I <3 LA but with an SFV number... tsk tsk tsk

Also I am literally in the AON building right this second.

• Locked thread