Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sanglorian's monster creation table basically lets you create monsters according to the DMG's guidelines without going through the DMG's 22-step process.

The HP counts are high because the DMG's guidelines will really give you high HP monsters unless you gently caress around with the offense/defense balance to create the glass cannons that you see in the MM.

I'd like to put forward my own method for monster creation: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=447144677

It throws out the official method completely, but I do explain where I deviated from the party line and how I got to my own numbers.

Thanks. I thought you had put out some stats, but I couldn't find where.

I just made a couple of GIth conversions from the 4E Dark Sun Creature Catalogue based on your tables, and some stuff from the Sanglorian tables. They can be found here if anyone has any feedback. Note: I am ignoring the fact that there aren't encounter powers in 5E and using them anyway, gently caress 5E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
i know this isn't a thread for edition wars, but is there anywhere i can find some balanced comparisons between editions?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

bencreateddisco posted:

i know this isn't a thread for edition wars, but is there anywhere i can find some balanced comparisons between editions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/wiki/choosing_an_edition is very pro-5e but is otherwise decent enough at looking at them? It has its problems but it's not a terrible overview.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I explained the one pushing 5e, that 4e would be really cool, that we could do 5e later, and that a lot of the stuff they see in the youtube special is home ruled! They agreed to 4e!

:D

I guess this is goodbye thread, I will be going to the 4e thread for advice and tips, since it's been forever and a half since the last 4e game.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Decided to go through and give all the classes without 6th level spellcasting some quality of life improvements, as well as collect my thoughts on houserules in general.

Some of this stuff is just "why, why would they do that?" like the comparison between a warlock's Dark One's Own Luck and the Fighter's Indomitable, or the Sorc's ability to fly at thanks to their 14th level subclass ability compared to the Barbarian's ability to "fly while raging, but fall at the end of your turn, so if you fly up to hit that dragon with your axe, you take 4d6 damage when your rear end hits the ground".

Basic idea is to just make all of the features work like they should have in the first place. Indomitable is on a short rest cooldown and works 100% of the time. Stroke of Luck recharges every round instead of every day because capstones should be loving awesome. Trying really hard to make the features powerful while also not making the characters then so powerful that the math breaks down. Not even trying to make them on par with casters in terms of pure burst and utility. Just...you know...not so full of suck.

Anyways, here's what I have so far, with comments added that explain my reasoning for each change/buff: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ROIsLEoB-3Ovlxmb7PA2G3gFBTkALmrgXAyHQdkTeMc/edit

Looking at this sounds pretty interesting so far. So for the Barbarian if they had 20 Str and Con before 20th level they jump to 30 in each?

Champion, Remarkable Athlete how does this work in relation to skills that you already had proficiency in? Triple the distance you can jump is a lot better than adding str mod in feet, also is comparable/equal to the bonus from Jump. Though it begs the question what happens if they have Jump cast on them?

Gaining some of these high level features is nice, especially with more ASIs, or getting ASIs when you would get Extra Attack from a mutliclassed class since in those situations you normally end up getting no feature.

Still really like the better expanded crit range on the champion. I would love to play a high level Champion Fighter or Bear Barbarian, level 20 Bear Barbarian, maybe Goliath for the even more increased carrying capacity. Quadruple carrying capacity with 30 strength oh yeah.

Brutal Critical for the Barbarian normally gives them an extra die at various levels, you have it giving an expanded crit range, is it just the expanded crit range? Or both?

I am having trouble telling what all the suggestions/explanations on the side are actually linked to.

Relentless change reminds me of how I think it was at one point in the playtest.

Feral Senses...you are just giving the ranger advantage on all attack rolls? That seems a bit good. Foe Slayer is nice.

Kind of confused on Slippery Mind. Most things with saves that continue have you make a save at the end of each of your turn's each round, if that isn't what you mean but actually mean each turn as in even on ally and enemy turns, might want to be clear about that.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Looking at this sounds pretty interesting so far. So for the Barbarian if they had 20 Str and Con before 20th level they jump to 30 in each?

Yep. +100 hp and +5 attack/damage. Had a general philosophy of "the druids at-will wildshape isn't a wild outlier, but the baseline" and "Wizard being able to cast Shield at-will to gain a +5 AC bonus and 45 temp hp is totally valid".

quote:

Champion, Remarkable Athlete how does this work in relation to skills that you already had proficiency in? Triple the distance you can jump is a lot better than adding str mod in feet, also is comparable/equal to the bonus from Jump. Though it begs the question what happens if they have Jump cast on them?

If you already proficient in the skill, then you don't get an extra bonus.

quote:

Gaining some of these high level features is nice, especially with more ASIs, or getting ASIs when you would get Extra Attack from a mutliclassed class since in those situations you normally end up getting no feature.

Yeah, I think that generally something at higher level should be better than the stuff you get at lower levels. Each character should still have holes, but they should master their niche.

quote:

Still really like the better expanded crit range on the champion. I would love to play a high level Champion Fighter or Bear Barbarian, level 20 Bear Barbarian, maybe Goliath for the even more increased carrying capacity. Quadruple carrying capacity with 30 strength oh yeah.

For the Champion, philosophy of "simple but effective". With Indomitable letting the fighter shrug off three effects and unloading something like a dozen attacks per round, each of which crits, they can do what they said they'd do in the design goals. In theory, at least.

quote:

Brutal Critical for the Barbarian normally gives them an extra die at various levels, you have it giving an expanded crit range, is it just the expanded crit range? Or both?

Both.

quote:

I am having trouble telling what all the suggestions/explanations on the side are actually linked to.

If you click on each suggestion, it'll scroll the comments to the linked explanation. I think?

quote:

Relentless change reminds me of how I think it was at one point in the playtest.

Yeah, it's powerful, but at that level you'll be burning through dice quickly even with it.

quote:

Feral Senses...you are just giving the ranger advantage on all attack rolls? That seems a bit good. Foe Slayer is nice.

It's to compensate the Ranger only being able to attack 4 times at most when they use their 5th level slot for Swift Quiver.

quote:

Kind of confused on Slippery Mind. Most things with saves that continue have you make a save at the end of each of your turn's each round, if that isn't what you mean but actually mean each turn as in even on ally and enemy turns, might want to be clear about that.

There seems to be quite a few effects that don't. I went ahead and changed it to being proficiency plus immunity to charmed, plus the ability to cast Nondetection and Nystul's Magic Aura on yourself at-will, since looking at it, Rogue was pretty behind the others.

Thanks for having a look through, updated it to make things more clear. Would probably be easier to read if I just write up each class from scratch with the changes incorporated but...this is easier on my end.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Haven't checked the updates but I generally like the changes. Though Remarkable Athlete not having a benefit if already having a skill does make it worse than expertise and means that if they have Athletics or a dex skill that skill pick is wasted unless they get to replace those skills with new skills.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

Haven't checked the updates but I generally like the changes. Though Remarkable Athlete not having a benefit if already having a skill does make it worse than expertise and means that if they have Athletics or a dex skill that skill pick is wasted unless they get to replace those skills with new skills.

I see it as a contrast of jack of all trades and the specialized expert. Rogue should be the best there is at what he does. When it comes to those skills they're specialized in, they should reign supreme.

Champion on the other hand is just a paragon of physical might. In terms of strength, toughness, and agility, they're good at everything. You're right though that it would make skill picks wasted. I'll fix that.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/19/9178637/what-the-lead-designer-of-dungeons-and-dragons-is-learning-from-destiny

quote:

"I would love to create a world where D&D matched that in the same way. We tried doing that in the Dungeon Master's Guide to some extent. It’s not just a +1 sword. It’s a sword with a history.

Huh.

1. This has never been done before.

2. If you want it to be special why do half the monsters in the MM need a magical weapon to be hit

3. Learning design lessons from an MMO sounds like a dangerous path to go down, Mearls!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
How the gently caress did he get that from Destiny?

quote:

First, their world building being so vivid is fantastic.

:laffo: ok buddy.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

How the gently caress did he get that from Destiny?

I know, right? Everyone knows it's the latest Blizzard game that the latest D&D is too similar to.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What, Heroes of the Storm?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Siivola posted:

The joke is that every edition since 3rd was compared negatively to a Blizzard game. 3e was sneered as being "Diablo on paper," and we all know how 4e fared regarding WoW comparisons.

Of course the actual hilarity is that AD&D2e had an actual Diablo book, and 3e had two different Warcraft game lines running for it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm like 80% sure that 3.x also had a Diablo book, and the Warcraft still having Vancian goddamned casting is the worst example of non-genre emulation I've ever seen.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm like 80% sure that 3.x also had a Diablo book, and the Warcraft still having Vancian goddamned casting is the worst example of non-genre emulation I've ever seen.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I encountered it at some point. Basically every famous fantasy setting got a d20 port in the 3.X era, including some I'd never heard of before, like Thieves' World (which is actually pretty good for early d20 stuff).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

thefakenews posted:

So a friend of mine has asked me to run a 5E game for his birthday, as he is usually a GM and wants a chance to play. I have agree to to run it, but from a GM perspective 5E isn't really my game. I'm planning to run Dark Sun and am planning to loosely convert monsters from 4E (with the aim of having more interesting monsters than the basic 5E stuff).

I've been looking at the monster creation table posted by Sanglorian, and hoping I can use that to come up with reasonable stats. Are there any posts explaining or testing the maths behind the listed hit point values. They seem awfully high compared to WotC's own monsters. I know the MM is full of glass cannons, but I want to make sure that table won't result in fights that are too grindy.

How are you gonna deal with the lack of Psinonics in 5E? Just play without it?

Also I highly suggest using the Heavy Metal soundtrack and Blue Oyster Cult in general to set the mood. I always saw Dark Sun as drawing heavily from the crazy euro comics of the 70s and 80s (like Arzach), and the heavy use of Psinonics only add to that.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

Y'know thinking about it, I wouldn't really mind a MOBA-inspired tabletop game. It'd mean you could have rocket-tag from both sides without it being the worst thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

The 3.0 diablo book had some neat mechanics, nerfed casters, and gave the noncasters cool poo poo. It was honestly one of the best-balanced splats.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

How are you gonna deal with the lack of Psinonics in 5E? Just play without it?

Also I highly suggest using the Heavy Metal soundtrack and Blue Oyster Cult in general to set the mood. I always saw Dark Sun as drawing heavily from the crazy euro comics of the 70s and 80s (like Arzach), and the heavy use of Psinonics only add to that.

One of the players will be using the Mystic class from the Unearthed Arcana article. NPCs with psionics will have 4e style monster powers, since I'm converting all the monsters over from the 4E Dark Sun monster book.

I will also be using a modification of the wild talent rules that are contained in here. I'm not convinced about the balance, but it's only a one shot and I am limiting all of the wild talents to once per long rest.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Finally got the 5e books off my friend and now I see what you all meant about the 'natural language' crap. So annoying to see "once you have used this power, you can't use it again until blah blah blah" after every ability.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ProfessorCirno posted:

3e was sneered as being "Diablo on paper," and we all know how 4e fared regarding WoW comparisons.
3e was anime. 4e was an MMO.

IMMA OGRE-DRAGON NINJA SAMURAI WIZARD ASSASSIN PALADIN!
(poor boy didnt realize that sorcerer was the correct choice for his anime dragonman)

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

I'm glad that Mearls made the Dungeons and Dragons video game analogy so easy to continue by making a paper-based DikuMUD.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm still amazed he took all that poo poo from Destiny.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe Ryan Dancey can astroturf a movement to go "see? 5th edition is video game bullshit for babby casuals! Mearls admits it!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Out of curiosity, how is 5e being taken? I know it started out as a financial success, but how well has that sustained? How well has it sustained otherwise like player response, critically, etc. ?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
No idea how about financial numbers, but my experience from other forums tells me that it's fairly well regarded: not only is it the latest D&D, it's also a D&D that's been released after recent changes in social media and the general zeitgeist regarding nerd hobbies (feel free to roll your eyes out of your head while reading this!)

I'd say it's something like the Diablo 3 Release Syndrome where shittons of people bought because it's named Diablo/D&D, and most reviews are going to hail it as really good because they don't have the time to really dig into the flaws nor the inclination to call out such an important cultural touchstone or whatever.

And then the layman is also going to say it's good and easy because they don't know any better (not that I begrudge them this) while at the same time I keep seeing threads of people getting confused about the most basic concepts like the action economy or what you add to an attack roll.

There is a non-trivial number of people who will call it out as being not good, either because of the flaws that we've discussed at length in this thread or because it's D&D in general (as in the whole six stats, AC, skill checks model), but the prevailing viewpoint I see is that it's cool and good because of a combination of "it's easy and simple to play", "it's very well balanced (because it was playtested so much)" or again, that this is someone's first D&D and they don't have anything to compare it to.

Of course, this is just from the internet, so vocal minority and perception and anecdotes and all those grains of salt.

EDIT: The internet also powers a lot of homebrewing and houserules discussion, because gutfeels creature statting means you can throw together a monster quickly and then natural language means you get to play armchair designer a lot and boy do people love their houserules.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 21, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Good to see homebrews stick to the "gently caress non-casters" mindset of 5E.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Hi folks,

I put up a web version of Microlite5E, just so you don't need to download a PDF to read it (better for phone and so on).

Looking on it with fresh eyes, I find my own monster creation rules confusing - they don't mention save DCs, it's not clear whether the bonus to attack rolls also applies to save DCs, it's not clear whether or when proficiency bonuses apply to saving throws, etc. I think when I created them, I had my head in 5E, and I certainly don't anymore.

Are there parts of the rules that others find confusing? Any tips on how to tighten up the language?

https://grimportents.wordpress.com/2015/08/21/microlite5e-online-version/
https://grimportents.wordpress.com/2015/08/21/microlite5e-monsters/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think your character creation section should detail spellcasting rules. That is, how many spell slots you have (and maybe progression) or the Microlite way of spells costing HP. Characters could maybe also have a preselected set of spells, because even if this isn't supposed to be a complete replacement for PHB-guided character creation, spell selection is, at least IMO, the most tedious part of character creation.

For the monsters, I think you could state more explicitly or have an example of how to compute save DCs.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Jesus christ cr 2? Average 10 damage on a hit with +6 to hit, you can't run from it, it is immune to one physical type and takes half damage from the other 2. That'll 1-shot most classes at level 1, 2-shot mostly everything that is level 2, and is going to live through a bunch of hits. Also has darkvision.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

ZypherIM posted:

Jesus christ cr 2? Average 10 damage on a hit with +6 to hit, you can't run from it, it is immune to one physical type and takes half damage from the other 2. That'll 1-shot most classes at level 1, 2-shot mostly everything that is level 2, and is going to live through a bunch of hits. Also has darkvision.

Spoken like a true Fighter. Any proper spellcaster will just take it out with a Sleep spell. :smaug:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ZypherIM posted:

Technically nothing says it can't become immune to a damage type like fire.

I mean it's still stupid as hell especially at its CR, and the default resistances to all nonmagical damage is pretty much the lovely cherry on top, but it may be immune to nonphysical types too.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah it doesn't say it immunes againt only physical, it could do any type. The stats are bullshit though.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

"What, no our lovely presence at GenCon is just another sign of our great success! We're really popular online these days, you see."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Polygon's Charlie Hall is a worthless bootlick for 5e and Pathfinder. He's been called out in comments for taking press releases and adding editorial language (such as referring to Pathfinder as "the true successor to D&D") and then releasing them as "News". It's not surprising that he's carrying Mike Mearl's water for him.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That was pathetic. We're not at our major convention because it's all about boardgames now and we're famous on the internet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also, our players are younger than ever. We're building the next generation of role-players.

No, you can't see the numbers, stop asking!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A fanbase composed entirely of Unseen Canadian Girlfriends.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ZypherIM posted:

I feel like I should start whipping up a batch of magically resistant creatures just to give fighters something to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Soylent Pudding posted:

I feel like I should start whipping up a batch of magically resistant creatures just to give fighters something to hit.

Magic resistance just gives you advantage on saving throws against spells. It's completely useless against spells which use attack rolls, or which just automatically work like Sleep and Magic Missile. This should really come as no surprise to anyone, but spellcasters face less obstacles than ever before. The only casters who have to deal with magic resistance are those who never even tried to overcome it.