Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't play the PSP version it has some of the worst loading times I've ever seen in a game, like there's a loading pause in between lines of dialogue. Even if you have the digital version.

the windows 8 version is perfectly fine and fixes that problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think Wild Arms 2 was hosed before there ever was a translation

after disc one was about fighting a terrorist organization, I just had to stop a nuclear weapon that's a dragon and now I learned that Filgaia is being devoured by a stain, and dragons are metallic and come from the Dragon Dimension

the stain comes from The Other World which is an intangible concept so the heroes solution is to use the world's mana to create a tangible life form to trap the intangible World into and then kill it

yep

Wild Arms 2 is awesome.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Thanks peeps, I was just curious cause I saw someone on my friends list who had a platinum in it and it confused me.

---

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I have people on my PSN friends list who've platinumed Time and Eternity. Does that mean it's a good game?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I have people on my PSN friends list who've platinumed Time and Eternity. Does that mean it's a good game?

no

e:
noooooooo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it means you have mentally ill people on your PSN friends list

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

seriously, this isn't even the "everything is poo poo" games meme. time and eternity is infamously terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

it means you have mentally ill people on your PSN friends list

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please do not play Time and Eternity.

Please do not play it in an ironic 'lol, it's so funny bad' way. Please do not play it to spite me. Just don't play it. It is very bad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Looks like poo poo too. Like an early From Software game but with someone glueing an wriggling anime to the screen to make it look third-person.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Looks like poo poo too. Like an early From Software game but with someone glueing an wriggling anime to the screen to make it look third-person.
Enchanted Arms?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

time and eternity is another game that's better than ni no kuni

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

what's so bad about time and eternity, apart from the anime, and the battles seemingly taking forever, and the cheap graphics/dialogue?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Such Thing posted:

what's so bad about time and eternity, apart from the anime, and the battles seemingly taking forever, and the cheap graphics/dialogue?

"Literally everything but the music, which is good."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I got to the vacillating in the blood part of wild arms 2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is just a random question that popped into my head. It's no exaggeration or lie to say that, generally, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger are considered the best SNES JRPGs with many saying they are the best JRPGs of all time. I'm not making claims to their actual quality, just stating what I've observed.

But with the PS1, I've seen much less consensus. What are the fan favorites of the PS1? FFVII would seem an obvious choice ut it has its healthy share of "it's not as good as everyone says." Suikoden II kinda seems like FFVI and CT in that I see nothing but undying love for it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
7 is the mainstream favorite, Suikoden 2 is the cult favorite. FFT is also fairly universally praised, and the only real arguments over it come up over translation preferences. Everything else has its fair share of contention, but even the folks who talk poo poo about 7 generally agree that it was a good game; just maybe undeserving of all the praise it gets.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Strictly JRPGs? Final Fantasy 9, Star Ocean, first disc of Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden 2 and that Lunar Blue something or another are all p good. To stretch out a bit, Final Fantasy Tactics just owns even past nostalgia's sake.

There's also Breath of Fire games, Front Mission(s), Wild Arms, and Vandal Hearts for games maybe not the first thing people think but are well regarded for the most part.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 20, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I really liked BOF4 but I know some people think BOF3 is a lot better

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"Literally everything but the music, which is good."
Also the unironic trailer narration.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's all sorts of reasons for that, during the SNES period very few RPG's got translated so you generally got 'the cream of the crop', during the early PS1 period translations took a real nose dive so even games like FF7 ended up with localisations worse than a SNES game, companies ended up getting weird and experimental with RPG's around then so you end up with a lot of games that are more flawed but interesting than actually good.

Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile and like maybe a couple of the PS1 Tales games are the only ones I could recommend without a giant 'but'.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 20, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

7 is the mainstream favorite, Suikoden 2 is the cult favorite. FFT is also fairly universally praised, and the only real arguments over it come up over translation preferences. Everything else has its fair share of contention, but even the folks who talk poo poo about 7 generally agree that it was a good game; just maybe undeserving of all the praise it gets.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Strictly JRPGs? Final Fantasy 9, Star Ocean, first disc of Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden 2 and that Lunar Blue something or another are all p good. To stretch out a bit, Final Fantasy Tactics just owns even past nostalgia's sake.

There's also Breath of Fire games, Front Mission(s), Wild Arms, and Vandal Hearts for games maybe not the first thing people think but are well regarded for the most part.

Back in the day Chrono Cross would have been a solid contender for Best PS1 JRPG. Now you can't talk about it anywhere without people making GBS threads on it.

Sakurazuka posted:

Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile and like maybe a couple of the PS1 Tales games are the only ones I could recommend without a giant 'but'.

Are you talking more kind of obscure titles or would you lump FFVII and FFIX into that"but" category?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I like Persona 2 a lot but I'm not sure it holds up as well as some of these other PS1 JRPGs getting mentioned here. Of course, it's been 15+ years, so maybe they're all pretty ragged.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Since I don't like card games FF8 has no redeeming qualities for me apart from some nice music and FMV's and is one of my least favourite FF games, FF9 is a good game with the fatal flaw of running on a PS1 so it moves at about half the speed it should.
I was including pretty much everything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:ninja: "I heard nothing like that at our secret HQ"
:ninja: "HOW DO YOU KNOW ABOUT OUR SECRET HQ!?" :psyboom:.

I had to sit and think for a moment to work out what' was so wrong with that camera - your screen is just a floating barebones camera with an anime girl pasted on, rather than any actual effort made to track the character itself.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was one of my top 5 games for a very long time. Then Innocent Sin came out. I've tried to play through that game 3 times and have failed every time. It just grinds me down. And the two games are not so different that I can say 'I bet I could still pop EP in and play through it without problems'.

Of all the PS1 RPGs, Valkyrie Profile and FFT have probably aged best.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Goddamnit, I forgot to get ChopChop in BoF2. :doh: It's not that bad to me, though; I consider it a sign that I like the game so much that I kept going through the story so I could see what happens next instead of having my eyes glued to a guide 24/7 so I can get everything the first time though and make thing super-easy.

Also missed Cure2, because apparently the game thinks murdering one of the villagers in cold-blood is saving them. :v:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Thing I just realized: Secret of Mana is more like a beat em up than an rpg. How cool would it have been if, instead of charge attacks, you unlocked moves you could execute with combos. Also no attack magic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shibawanko posted:

Thing I just realized: Secret of Mana is more like a beat em up than an rpg. How cool would it have been if, instead of charge attacks, you unlocked moves you could execute with combos. Also no attack magic.

That's why Tales games are so good. Also Seiken Densetsu 3 and Legend of Mana started moving in that direction before Square went nuts and made nothing but bad Mana games after that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Since I don't like card games FF8 has no redeeming qualities for me apart from some nice music and FMV's and is one of my least favourite FF games, FF9 is a good game with the fatal flaw of running on a PS1 so it moves at about half the speed it should.
I was including pretty much everything.

So you're just not a fan of the PS1 era? That's when I first fell in love with JRPGs, and Japanese stuff in general, so it's kinda always been my personal golden era for the genre.

I guess it helps I like experimental stuff a lot.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

closeted republican posted:

Goddamnit, I forgot to get ChopChop in BoF2. :doh: It's not that bad to me, though; I consider it a sign that I like the game so much that I kept going through the story so I could see what happens next instead of having my eyes glued to a guide 24/7 so I can get everything the first time though and make thing super-easy.

Yeah, it's not that big a deal. It does fixed damage and not all that much of it, so it's mostly useful against a small handful of enemies with low HP and high defense, or as a replacement for Nina's normal attack when you want to conserve AP.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I started jRPGs on the PSX, but really got into it with SNES RPGS like FF4 and Chrono Trigger.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

So you're just not a fan of the PS1 era? That's when I first fell in love with JRPGs, and Japanese stuff in general, so it's kinda always been my personal golden era for the genre.

I guess it helps I like experimental stuff a lot.

No I love lots of games from there, my two favourite RPG's are Xenogears and Vagrant Story, I also acknowledge that they're fundamentally flawed games I just don't care about the flaws.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

No I love lots of games from there, my two favourite RPG's are Xenogears and Vagrant Story, I also acknowledge that they're fundamentally flawed games I just don't care about the flaws.

Xenogears is also one of my favorite games ever. I can definitely see what you mean. Whenever I recommend Xenogears I do have the courtesy of adding "it's not for everyone." So yeah, from that point-of-view, I get what you're saying now.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, it's not that big a deal. It does fixed damage and not all that much of it, so it's mostly useful against a small handful of enemies with low HP and high defense, or as a replacement for Nina's normal attack when you want to conserve AP.

Ah, well that's not a problem. AP won't be that much of an issue, since I make mage-type characters chug as many mana-restoring items as possible because of how useful spells are in games.

The only problem is that I'll have poor Nina OD on AP-restoring items by the end of the game. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can nitpick Suikoden 2 (bugs in the US version, translation does its job but no more) and Valkyrie Profile (Hard is easiest difficulty level, the conditions for the good ending are conveyed in the vaguest way possible) as well because nothing is ever perfect, the question is always wether the good outweighs the bad.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

For me the bugs in Suikoden 2 are almost charming in an odd sort of way, and at least one can be super useful if you're willing to exploit it. Others can be more frustrating but mostly only if you're an OCD completist going for all the recipes or something. The localization is harder to excuse but not unique in the series (Suikoden 3's was nearly as bad) or the genre back then. It's just a bit more egregious in this case, probably all the excess punctuation and exclamations. It's harder to ignore a bad translation when it's being shouted at you.

It's an unfortunate black mark on what's probably my favourite game on the PS1.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hoo hah hah!!!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!!!!!!!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

That's why Tales games are so good. Also Seiken Densetsu 3 and Legend of Mana started moving in that direction before Square went nuts and made nothing but bad Mana games after that.

Yeah. I also think the Soul Blazer series basically tried to go for that, Terranigma had some pretty complex moves you could pull off. SD3 felt more like Chrono Trigger and went more in an RPG direction I think.

Basically I don't like hybrid RPG combat systems like FF6 or Chrono Trigger where they tried to make it feel real time, that just makes me wish I could play an action game or something. I want it to be either purely cerebral, turn based calculation or an action game with RPG elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I never really got into the Soul Blazer series past the first game. I tried Illusion of Gaia, but something never clicked for me and I dropped it early in the game.

Same with Secret of Mana.