Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gearman posted:

The pre-draft pre-season madness is always a wonderful time.

Fun question for everyone:

Imagine you're in a league where you have to declare keepers three weeks before the draft. Imagine a keeper like, say, Kelvin Benjamin, were to tear an ACL in practice (I know, totally unthinkable, but bear with me here) after he was declared a keeper but before the draft. Should the owner of that player be allowed to drop that keeper? They don't get to declare a new keeper, just get the pick back for a guy that will most likely be in a wheelchair for the next eight months.

This is exactly what happened in my league. I argued against allowing the owner to drop Benjamin and regain his draft cost. The commish overruled my (and others) objections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

Gearman posted:

Imagine you're in a league where you have to declare keepers three weeks before the draft. Imagine a keeper like, say, Kelvin Benjamin, were to tear an ACL in practice (I know, totally unthinkable, but bear with me here) after he was declared a keeper but before the draft. Should the owner of that player be allowed to drop that keeper? They don't get to declare a new keeper, just get the pick back for a guy that will most likely be in a wheelchair for the next eight months.

I'm going to go with:

He should be able to drop him (so as to open up another spot to draft someone), but not be able to declare another keeper. Everyone has the same rules. This is why, in my league, I set up keeper locks the Sunday before the first game.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Gearman posted:

Although it would be the compassionate thing to do (give you back a round or give you back a penalized round in some way), it opens the door for other people to request special accommodations should another incident occur that is not properly defined by league rules rules. The commissioner has to consider "protecting the shield" of remaining owners and not just your specific occasion. It's definitely an opportunity to clarify things or tighten up the declarations & draft schedules for next season so that this can be avoided.

Bylaws shouldn't exist to account for every situation, so it would be league-fair for you to just accept the loss and move on. It doesn't sink your chances as much as you think it would, although it sure feels that way at first and I don't blame you for asking.

buffalo wing pizza

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Guy in my league chose to keep Benjamin over Jordan Matthews. We let him drop Benjamin but not claim Matthews. Personally I think we should have let him pick a new guy but I think it's dumb to declare keepers three weeks before the draft. He's the commish though so props to him for biting the bullet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This happened in my league. We declared keepers the day before Benjamin got hurt. We let the guy who was keeping Benjamin choose another keeper because we aren't giant assholes.

I don't know how you wouldn't allow him to change this, unless you just want to be a dick.

The only reason to declare keepers early is so people have an idea of what the draft board will look like. That's it.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Personally I think that if you decide to declare keepers this early, you should be stuck with whatever happens. Tough poo poo.

(Coming from a KB keeper owner that had to declare last week...)

e: The lesson here is don't have a mid-August keeper deadline.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Keeper leagues should have IR spots imo, so he should keep him and shelve him. If you don't have IR spots, then dropping should be allowed. I don't mind letting him re-pick, but I can see how that could rub other league members the wrong way, so a league vote would be best.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Dynasty question.

Did a startup last week, and my RBs are as follows (.5 PPR):

Foster, Gore, Abdullah, Ivory, Mathews, Polk, Herron, Dunbar

I spent big on Gronk (though I got really nice value on him) and Dez and focused on grabbing value where I saw it otherwise, so I didn't have a ton of budget to spend on any one RB. RB is definitely my worst position currently.

A guy in my league who has an even worse RB situation is offering me a Woodhead (who I'm high on, at least for this year) and a 1st round pick for Gore, which seems like a pretty awesome deal value-wise, except it would make my RB situation much more questionable than it already is and makes competing this year even tougher.

Until Foster gets healthy, I'm stuck rotating Abdullah, Mathews, Ivory and Woodhead in by matchups unless Gore gets hurt or Polk steps up as a three down back while Foster is out. I should note that I'm really high on Gore this year in the Indy offense, and probably value him higher than most.

I'm still pretty new to dynasty valuations, as this is my first time playing this format. Accept or decline?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cervixalot posted:

competing this year even tougher.

Do you think your roster is good enough to win you a title this year? If yes, keep what you have. If not, take the trade and start building for the future.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Do you think your roster is good enough to win you a title this year? If yes, keep what you have. If not, take the trade and start building for the future.

TBH, healthy Gore is probably the lynchpin of making my team competitive this year, which is why I am having trouble hitting accept. If I can coax RB2/3 production out of Abdullah/Ivory/Mathews until Foster comes back down the stretch, I should be able to compete.

Starters:

QB: Rivers
RB: Gore/Abdullah (until Foster comes back)
WR: Dez, DJax, Allen Robinson, Landry (Steve Johnson, Larry Fitz, Marvin Jones as bye week plug-ins)
TE: Gronk

Edit: I'm thinking I stay put. Gore should be a solid RB2 with RB1 upside at least for this season, and I don't like the idea of committing to a rebuild before the first season even starts.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 20, 2015

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Where should I target Benjamin in my league going keeper? Late round, or not even because he may never be the same, but lets hope not. Late mid if nothing is intriguing maybe, idk.

e; I am only doing this if I can get keepers based on rounds pushed through. Then I will take him and Josh Gordon and wreck the league next year! probably won't wreck anything

Michael Corleone fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 20, 2015

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Josh Gordon went in the 13th round in my draft last year so I think that's about right.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ZIGfried posted:

Guy in my league chose to keep Benjamin over Jordan Matthews. We let him drop Benjamin but not claim Matthews. Personally I think we should have let him pick a new guy but I think it's dumb to declare keepers three weeks before the draft. He's the commish though so props to him for biting the bullet.

In my league we started allowing keeper resets before the draft because we only have one keeper and let's be honest nobody wants one team to start behind the 8-ball due to an injury. It has never been a problem.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

FWIW I argued that they should be allowed to drop the keeper but not declare a new keeper. It doesn't solve the problem of the keeper rules being dumb anyway (keepers three weeks before the draft, whyyyy), but you shouldn't be force to hold a player on your roster before the draft has even started. I'm all for laughing at the misfortune of other owners (especially he guy that drafted both AP and Ray Rice last year) but I don't agree with the notion that you shouldn't be able to drop a guy that will be in a wheelchair for most of the year. That's not to say that people should be free to drop players after keepers have been declared just because they feel like it, but if a keeper ends up in the position where they're going to miss more than one game of the regular season, I think an owner should be allowed to drop that player before the draft. All of this can really be solved by just having the keeper deadline to within an hour of the draft, and if something happens in that small amount of time, tough poo poo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There's literally zero reason to not let someone A) drop an injured keeper B) Choose a new keeper, except for intentionally being a dick.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

RCarr posted:

There's literally zero reason to not let someone A) drop an injured keeper B) Choose a new keeper, except for intentionally being a dick.

Dropping really. I 100% think that after the deadline you dont get to pick another keeper. What would be the point? Who gets to decide what is worth bending the rules for. If you set a date stick to it, but not letting them drop him is just mean.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Just got the first pick in my big money league :negative:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MacheteZombie posted:

If you can get a 1st rounder and a player for a 32 old rb in dynasty you take it and run away laughing unless you're a stone cold lock for league champ or there's a ton of money on the line. Gore is generally considered to be worth a mid to late second.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

RCarr posted:

I agreed with this until the dude posted he kept KB over Jordan Matthews and now i believe in punishing him

Axl Rose
Apr 29, 2013
Auction League Question:

If the number of teams in the league increases, how should that affect your spending in the draft? My initial thought is you should spend slightly more on the highest end players since they're that much more valuable, but then again, it's already hard enough to fill a decent 6 spot bench in a 14 man league.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Dropping really. I 100% think that after the deadline you dont get to pick another keeper. What would be the point? Who gets to decide what is worth bending the rules for. If you set a date stick to it, but not letting them drop him is just mean.

The point would be the guy gets a keeper, just like everyone else in the league. What's the reason not to let him pick another keeper? The only two I can think of is "Because I want an advantage" or "Because gently caress you".

Literally the ONLY reason people declare keepers early is to know who will be on the board for the draft. It affects nothing else.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

RCarr posted:

The point would be the guy gets a keeper, just like everyone else in the league. What's the reason not to let him pick another keeper? The only two I can think of is "Because I want an advantage" or "Because gently caress you".

Literally the ONLY reason people declare keepers early is to know who will be on the board for the draft. It affects nothing else.

Because the keeper deadline has past. If you let one person break the rules now, then why not let someone break the rules week 12? If he wants to keep KB then he can, but it defeats the point if keepers arent final.

Counter solution is to not make the deadline so early in preseason.

We had our redraft last weekend and the guy who got KB is obviously upset. Tough poo poo though. We had to move the draft up because of another owner going to jail :a2m: otherwise it would be later. But it is what it is, everyone is taking the same risk.

e. the example of the guy who literally picked him the day before could be an exception. Sorry I cant tell which we are talking about.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
If the rule is established before a situation like this then I have no problem with somebody swapping out or dropping a keeper (and even have this rule in a hockey league that I run)

My thinking is basically that I would never change the rule or make an exception because someone's keeper blew out his knee a day after the deadline. A deadline is a deadline, and whether it happens 3 weeks before the draft, 1 minute before the draft, or 1 minute into the first game of the year, that player is yours and if you're unlucky enough for him to get hurt that really loving sucks, but you kept him. Adjust accordingly.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Because the keeper deadline has past. If you let one person break the rules now, then why not let someone break the rules week 12? If he wants to keep KB then he can, but it defeats the point if keepers arent final.

Counter solution is to not make the deadline so early in preseason.

We had our redraft last weekend and the guy who got KB is obviously upset. Tough poo poo though. We had to move the draft up because of another owner going to jail :a2m: otherwise it would be later. But it is what it is, everyone is taking the same risk.

e. the example of the guy who literally picked him the day before could be an exception. Sorry I cant tell which we are talking about.

I get what you are saying but how would you change keepers in week 12? It all comes down to being a stickler just for the sake of it, and ruining/hurting one of your league-mates season in the process. You are 100% right that making the deadline later is the correct solution though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This also highlights why keeping one and only one player is just silly. Players get injured all the time, so it's a given that in any year, 12 teams with one keeper each, probably two of them are gonna get injured and one will be season-ending. Or something along those lines.

Keep like four players, or go full-dynasty and keep everyone you want. Also the deadline for declaring keepers should be like 24 hours before the draft, and the draft should be less than a week before the beginning of the regular season, if at all possible.

I have opinions.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I kind of agree with the fact that a deadline is a deadline. What if Bell or Lacy or Antonio Brown blew their ACL? Everyone has the same risks to take when deadlines are stuck to. If it wasn't you it would be someone else's player. You got F'ed this time, but in the future it will happen to someone else.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

RCarr posted:

I get what you are saying but how would you change keepers in week 12? It all comes down to being a stickler just for the sake of it, and ruining/hurting one of your league-mates season in the process. You are 100% right that making the deadline later is the correct solution though.

I just think once you set a deadline you need to stick to it. Otherwise where do you draw the line on exceptions, and if so why not just make that the deadline?

the week 12 poo poo was just hyperbole.

"Keep like four players, or go full-dynasty and keep everyone you want. Also the deadline for declaring keepers should be like 24 hours before the draft, and the draft should be less than a week before the beginning of the regular season, if at all possible.
"

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Gobias Ind. posted:

If the rule is established before a situation like this then I have no problem with somebody swapping out or dropping a keeper (and even have this rule in a hockey league that I run)

My thinking is basically that I would never change the rule or make an exception because someone's keeper blew out his knee a day after the deadline. A deadline is a deadline, and whether it happens 3 weeks before the draft, 1 minute before the draft, or 1 minute into the first game of the year, that player is yours and if you're unlucky enough for him to get hurt that really loving sucks, but you kept him. Adjust accordingly.

The owner is actually still keeping KB, who will most likely go straight in to the IR slot. My point is that, for an entirely artificial reason, we're forcing an owner to keep a player that they might have good reason to not want to keep. They still lose out in a scenario where they're allowed to drop that keeper, because they're most likely not going to get the same kind of value in that draft spot, so I don't see a reason why an owner needs to be double punished for this sort of thing. After the draft, all bets are off. You can at least add/drop guys to make up for a guy blowing out his knee. In this instance, the owner doesn't even have that option.

Leperflesh posted:

This also highlights why keeping one and only one player is just silly. Players get injured all the time, so it's a given that in any year, 12 teams with one keeper each, probably two of them are gonna get injured and one will be season-ending. Or something along those lines.

Keep like four players, or go full-dynasty and keep everyone you want. Also the deadline for declaring keepers should be like 24 hours before the draft, and the draft should be less than a week before the beginning of the regular season, if at all possible.

We share very similar views on how a keeper/dynasty league should be run.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I have opinions.

My league has a "preliminary" deadline two weeks before the draft so that people can try to organize trades and set draftboards accordingly, but keepers aren't official until they're written on the board before the draft starts the day of (which is never before the 3rd pre-season week because we are not savages).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Tell us the strip club wings story again! :allears:

Sure one time I was at a strip club with all you can eat wings buffet but there was no wings in the trays so I pulled a girl aside and said when are more wings coming and she didn't answer me and I got no more wings

Michael Corleone posted:

I kind of agree with the fact that a deadline is a deadline. What if Bell or Lacy or Antonio Brown blew their ACL? Everyone has the same risks to take when deadlines are stuck to. If it wasn't you it would be someone else's player. You got F'ed this time, but in the future it will happen to someone else.

We had this weird issue in my league a few years back where two guys wanted to swap Harvin for FJax straight up. The one owner who was getting FJax wanted him to be on his team that week but they missed the trade deadline by like an hour. So then they come to me saying that if either player gets injured they want the trade canceled. I say no, FJax of course blows out his ACL that week after putting up some points, the current FJax owner is happy and the receiving FJax player is pissed, everyone gets mad, and I placate both owners by forcing the trade and letting the FJax owner get first waiver wire.

From then on I made it a permanent rule that every move is final. Every single one. If you don't make deadlines, if you accidentally cut a dude, if you make a bad trade, too bad. It's made the league so much better.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Doltos posted:

From then on I made it a permanent rule that every move is final. Every single one. If you don't make deadlines, if you accidentally cut a dude, if you make a bad trade, too bad. It's made the league so much better.

This is how it should be. Make one exception and the poo poo snowballs. Everyone will then want an exception.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I commission a keeper league and the deadline is always set three days before the draft. Unfortunately, the draft was last Saturday instead of in two weeks like usual due to traveling and whatnot. If our draft was in two weeks and Benji had torn his ACL during the 3 day period between the draft and the keeper deadline, I would allow an injury replacement. However, we already drafted so tough poo poo, Mike. My league has 3 keepers so it's not a huge problem to allow a keeper sub. I think it would have to depend on how many keepers an owner is allowed to keep. I've noticed that in 1-3 keeper leagues, owners generally use every keeper slot. Beyond that, it gets more random so I think there's a point where disallowing keeper subs after the deadline should be considered although I haven't encountered that point yet.

Honestly, the main factor is the keeper deadline. If it's a week or more before the draft and said draft is fuckin' early, then subbing keepers should be allowed. As a RULE. Shame on you owners who haven't planned for all possible scenarios. loving scrub bitch.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 20, 2015

Enforka
Dec 24, 2004
I traded Benjamin away to move up to a top 3 pick in the first round five days ago. We're a two keeper league. Nobody said anything, as they generally don't for most of the trades that go through. The commissioner even put Benjamin up on the draft board as a keeper for the other guy. Now the guy I am trading him to says the trade should be cancelled because it was never voted on and people did not have the time to see it. We are two days away from the keeper deadline.

Am I right in thinking this is kind of bullshit?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Enforka posted:

I traded Benjamin away to move up to a top 3 pick in the first round five days ago. We're a two keeper league. Nobody said anything, as they generally don't for most of the trades that go through. The commissioner even put Benjamin up on the draft board as a keeper for the other guy. Now the guy I am trading him to says the trade should be cancelled because it was never voted on and people did not have the time to see it. We are two days away from the keeper deadline.

Him accepting the deal trumps whatever bullshit he throws against the wall about the league not having voted on it. He is absolutely grasping here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

Him accepting the deal trumps whatever bullshit he throws against the wall about the league not having voted on it. He is absolutely grasping here.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Enforka posted:

It is utter bullshit. Hopefully your commissioner has a clue and ignores his protests. Anything else, and I'd flat out quit.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Enforka posted:

its bullshit

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

If the trade got approved, then presumably it went through following whatever protocols the league has in place. The trade makes it different from a mere "injured keeper" issue. You can't undo trades because you got hosed by injury. That's not okay during the season and isn't okay during off-season. And it's not like he is stuck with Benjamin as his keeper. poo poo like this is why I do commissioner veto only. Owners can talk to me about what they think, but, at the end of the day, it comes down to me (also I've never vetoed a trade[maybe once, I can't remember]).

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 21, 2015

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Enforka posted:

It is bullshit. Also, voting on trades is stupid and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

escalator dropdown posted:

It is bullshit. Also, voting on trades is stupid and bad.

hth qtiyd

• Locked thread