Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he is a libertarian who doesn't like that word and is a-ok w/ loving 13 year olds

uh. i think you'll find the correct term is ephebotarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah we'll ramp up sewage treatment phosphorus reclaimation before that ever becomes a problem

I would like to learn more.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah we'll ramp up sewage treatment phosphorus reclaimation before that ever becomes a problem

hopefully, i just mean to say that there are finite things on earth that we aren't working to preserve currently, so the post-scarcity goal is really, really far away. if phosphorous preservation goes as well (badly) oil then it remains to be seen if we can handle it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ryde posted:

people and animals poop out phosphorus

we've known for a long time that you can collect the poop slurry during treatment in such a way as to produce a phosphorus-rich poop product

but this doesn't typically happen b/c there are cheaper ways to get phosphorus like mining it outta the ground

essentially it's unlike peak oil b/c you're able to recycle phosphorus

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ryde posted:

phosphorus is key part of plant fertilizer and totally necessary for mass agriculture. it passes through human and animal digestive systems, so you can just lay down the fertilizer, eat the food you grow, then collect the phosphrus from your own poop and grow some more food (yum!). this is how all farming used to work until the big bad industrialization of farming. phosphorus is now plundered from the earth through mining, but there is a limited amount of it, and some think we'll run out within the next 50 years. the solution would be to return to fecal fertilizer on a massive scale before we literally flush all this phosphorus down the drain.

if we don't, we will probably see an apocalyptic famine

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we've known for a long time that you can collect the poop slurry during treatment in such a way as to produce a phosphorus-rich poop product

Is reclamation 100% renewable or do you tend to get losses? In other words, does it extend our usable phosphorous resources indefinitely or "long enough"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
phosphorus won't be a problem so long as you all keep posting

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

PleasureKevin posted:

:toot:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gum posted:

uh. i think you'll find the correct term is ephebotarian

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

ryde posted:

Is reclamation 100% renewable or do you tend to get losses? In other words, does it extend our usable phosphorous resources indefinitely or "long enough"?

"long enough"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

phosphorus is key part of plant fertilizer and totally necessary for mass agriculture. it passes through human and animal digestive systems, so you can just lay down the fertilizer, eat the food you grow, then collect the phosphrus from your own poop and grow some more food (yum!). this is how all farming used to work until the big bad industrialization of farming. phosphorus is now plundered from the earth through mining, but there is a limited amount of it, and some think we'll run out within the next 50 years. the solution would be to return to fecal fertilizer on a massive scale before we literally flush all this phosphorus down the drain.

Basically we'll go back to the old ways and feed our human waste back into agricultural production. Extracting the nitrogen and phosphorous and other minerals out of our waste and feeding the remaining slurry to animals as mother nature intended.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

if you want to know more still, there's the overall concept of planetary boundries, a model that tries to find the acceptable operating range for humans to live on earth.

here is our status on that

we've crossed 4 of these boundaries (out of the ones we have quantified, we may have passed more), and notably phosphorus ( 3b ) is really close to crossing the boundary. RIP everyone

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

essentially it's unlike peak oil b/c you're able to recycle phosphorus

not if it's all flushed into the ocean. i imagine recycling phosphorus from the ocean would be like recycling oil from carbon in the atmosphere from burning fossil fuels (maybe not ahah i'm talking "out my rear end" here)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ryde posted:

the ocean will eventually give back the phosphorus slowly over time. but currently we use almost 10X what the ocean gives back in the same time period. so if we run out of phosphorus, there will be a huge famine with massive die off, but if anyone can hold out on canned spaghetti long enough, we could eventually begin again, maybe

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
"sound money" is right up there with "men with guns" who "put you in cages" when it comes to tipoff phrases that the person you are talking to has no ideas of any merit so you should just have fun with it

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

duTrieux. posted:

Please summarize

actually, don't

quote:

I thank you in advance.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

PleasureKevin posted:

not if it's all flushed into the ocean. i imagine recycling phosphorus from the ocean would be like recycling oil from carbon in the atmosphere from burning fossil fuels (maybe not ahah i'm talking "out my rear end" here)

oil is valuable because it releases large quantities of energy when consumed. you can't recreate oil without spending more energy then you would get out, while phosphorus reclaimation actually aquires more phosphorus.

peak oil is a problem because we run out of ridiculiously cheap energy, not because we run out of some particular combination of carbon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PleasureKevin posted:

the ocean will eventually give back the phosphorus slowly over time. but currently we use almost 10X what the ocean gives back in the same time period. so if we run out of phosphorus, there will be a huge famine with massive die off, but if anyone can hold out on canned spaghetti long enough, we could eventually begin again, maybe

Humanity could probably do with a good culling

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Fat Marky is back in the news.

Mt Gox CEO May Face Rearrest Over $2.6 Million Customer Fund Theft

quote:

The CEO of bankrupt bitcoin exchange Mt Gox may face fresh embezzlement charges from Japanese police tomorrow, reports claim.

Mark Karpeles has been in custody for three weeks, the maximum time suspects can be detained without formal charges, following claims he manipulated volumes on the once-leading exchange prior to its collapse last February.

New allegations, reported by the Yomiuri newspaper, claim the 30-year-old embezzled ¥321m ($2.6m) of customer deposits to support other personal projects, including a 3D software company. If enforced, these will 'reset the clock' on how long the Tokyo Metropolitan Police can hold Karpeles, giving him up to another 23 days in custody.

Poor Tibanne.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:rip: marky mark

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

PleasureKevin posted:

phosphorus is generally a limiting factor in sea life and i'm pretty sure a significant percentage of oceanic phosphorus is entrained in such

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mido posted:

bithcoin

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ah yes, the completely agreed upon exact amount of carbon dioxide in the air in ppm that is within acceptable parameters

edit: your first 2 are also the same thing basically

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

bitcoiners will usually just talk your ear off

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Hey, you can't say no to science, you denialist! Haven't you heard yet? It's all about consensus now. How else would that study of literally 16 people made the news rounds a few weeks back?

Oh, and peak oil is good since it will solve global warming; just snuff that candle of industrialized civilization right out and you can get back to those pre-industrial levels right quick.

I think I'm doing it right, but I feel like I need to use a thesaurus to add even more smuggo

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
china as a beacon of hope for sustainability
loving hilarious to anyone who has ever been to china

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

univbee posted:

you know he's probated for another 23 hours, right?

it'll be like a splinter

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

hobbesmaster posted:

does mike tyson knock you out and take your wallet when you try and buy a bitcoin?

no no no, george foreman is the one who knocks out the fiat.

i am recycling my jokes, so we don't pass any more thresholds and die.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Sentient Data posted:

Hey, you can't say no to science, you denialist! Haven't you heard yet? It's all about consensus now. How else would that study of literally 16 people made the news rounds a few weeks back?
wait did goddamn Nature actually publish a study that used 16 test subjects

science is dead, I guess

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
has the planet crossed the buttcoin boundary yet

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

AlbieQuirky posted:

remember when china held the olympics and painted their entire mountain green
like with for sure definitely lead based paint
just painted an entire goddamn mountain so it'd look pretty from a huge distance

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AlbieQuirky posted:

to be fair, a lot of press about china is racist nonsense that toes the usual "those inscrutable chinese" line

like, it's finally coming out that a lot of the panic about china's air quality is drastically unfounded and the measurements have been miscalculated for years

Krinkle posted:

remember when china held the olympics and painted their entire mountain green
like with for sure definitely lead based paint
just painted an entire goddamn mountain so it'd look pretty from a huge distance

also like this poo poo here - straight up lying because racists find it plausible and frightening

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/feb/14/china
is the guardian a real newspaper or

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

not particularly no

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
everything is pointless and terrible lmao

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
actual stymie here to fill in for bitcoin stymie while he's on probation

also lmao that that guy is in his late 20s or something, from his posting i thought for sure he was a typical dumb, smug 14 year old

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The thread stopped talking about bitcoin and now for real Stymie is here to teach us about China, good job you chucklefucks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

The thread stopped talking about bitcoin and now for real Stymie is here to teach us about China, good job you chucklefucks

i loving told y'all like two weeks ago but you didn't listen, lol

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
chinese air quality is quite apparent when you are in china

or i guess my lungs are racist

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

big scary monsters posted:

actual stymie here to fill in for bitcoin stymie while he's on probation

also lmao that that guy is in his late 20s or something, from his posting i thought for sure he was a typical dumb, smug 14 year old
here is a little trick: when you were 14, did you fantasize about other 14-year-olds, or did you fantasize about people who had gone through puberty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

anthonypants posted:

here is a little trick: when you were 14, did you fantasize about other 14-year-olds, or did you fantasize about people who had gone through puberty

when i was 14? i fantasized about anything that was a lady of any type basically

if it had boobs i was on board

• Locked thread