Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Raluek posted:

He's also got a supercharged 6.0 chevy colorado and a rear-engined 3800 swapped (I think?) vw gti :q:

I wondered why that thread never got updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BloodBag posted:

Seatpost chatte: I found that most of the road vibrations you feel are largely dependent on your wheels/tires. When I rode gatorskins on lovely mavic cxp22's the ride was harsh as gently caress, that's with carbon fork/seatpost. I changed to conti GP4000S on easton EA70's and it was like a whole different, much better riding bike.

I'll change the wheels around on bikes and find the lovely ride comes with the wheels and I can't even feel the difference in the frame. I'll put the oval concepts 978's (78mm carbon/alu clincher) with vredestein fortezza tricomps on my soul faith and the soul rides like poo poo. I put the eastons back on and it rides like a dream. Put the eastons on my all carbon fuji and it rides like a dream. Wheels/tires make such a huge difference in ride that I can't overstate it.

I have Mavic Open Sports (whichever one has the 105 hubs). Interesting about the wheels, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

Fuzzkill. (70s, right?)

Confirm. 1971
Thread is in archives, though: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2813206

There is this:
http://fuzzkill.com/KE25/

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Guys, I feel like I really need one of those rad dual sport motorcycles in my life. I keep watching videos of dudes thrashing them down trails and having a blast and it's basically the perfect thing for where I live because they're street legal dirtbikes. I assume there's some horrible downside here that i'm missing, but man they look cool :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It'll get stolen.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Phone posted:

It'll get stolen.

Nah, just chain it to like a 400 lb block of concrete or something.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo my back hurts today. Been a couple months without any discomfort until last night.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

T1g4h posted:

Guys, I feel like I really need one of those rad dual sport motorcycles in my life. I keep watching videos of dudes thrashing them down trails and having a blast and it's basically the perfect thing for where I live because they're street legal dirtbikes. I assume there's some horrible downside here that i'm missing, but man they look cool :v:

I've got a Suzuki DR200 dual sport, and yeah the thing is rad, super light and indestructible. The only downside to it is that it's slow (200cc) and I can't get my bike license with it because then I'll be able to get a bigger bike. I want to sell it and get a DRZ400 and then turn it into a supermoto, or just get a bigger dual sport, or gently caress bikes entirely and get an old Datsun/Toyota/Mazda.

If Dual Sports didn't exist then I wouldn't give two shits about bikes.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

MustardFacial posted:

I've got a Suzuki DR200 dual sport, and yeah the thing is rad, super light and indestructible. The only downside to it is that it's slow (200cc) and I can't get my bike license with it because then I'll be able to get a bigger bike. I want to sell it and get a DRZ400 and then turn it into a supermoto, or just get a bigger dual sport, or gently caress bikes entirely and get an old Datsun/Toyota/Mazda.

If Dual Sports didn't exist then I wouldn't give two shits about bikes.

I just want something that:

A. Can support my giant lanky rear end (6'5" and 220lbs)
B. Can be driven on the street and then taken down any interesting dirt trails I spot
C. Won't loving kill me :v:

I know I definitely will never get one, but lately I have this massive soft spot for Ducati Scramblers in particular. They just look so good :h:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geirskogul posted:

3800s in ALL THE THINGS.

I love that engine for some retard reason, I don't know why.

My neighbor just pulled the head from his wife's old Buick (late 90's I think, 200k miles on it) with a 3800 in it (I think, a V-6 that he says is 3.8L). It was overheating, and they just kept pouring the terrible Buckeye tap water in it, until it finally got to a constant state of overheating, and then finally started showing water in the oil.

I need to get some photo's, but the water passages in the head are 100% completely full of brown 'dirt like' deposits. No water was flowing through the head at all. The passages on the block side are really not bad looking at all, no blockage to speak of, so I guess it all just condensed into the heads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Equal odds on whether that was due to the tap water or Dexcool.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

T1g4h posted:

I just want something that:

A. Can support my giant lanky rear end (6'5" and 220lbs)
B. Can be driven on the street and then taken down any interesting dirt trails I spot
C. Won't loving kill me :v:

I know I definitely will never get one, but lately I have this massive soft spot for Ducati Scramblers in particular. They just look so good :h:

A. Good god, you're like gigantor. you'd probably be fine with anything above a DRZ400. A buddy of mine is 6'2" and fits just fine on his Triumph Tiger. I'm only 5'7" so I've got the opposite problem.
B. They all do this. Get something bigger than a 200cc. (mine barely hits 80km/h)
C. Oh they're all gonna kill you. All bikes are loving deathtraps. :v:

I share your love for the Scrambler. If I had the cash, and was more of a status seeking prick I'd probably get one of those.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Geirskogul posted:

3800s in ALL THE THINGS.

I love that engine for some retard reason, I don't know why.

You know all the bus engine problems you're having?...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Came so loving close to having all of tomorrow's work saved as draft emails for working from home and I just got hit by a hurricane of "RUSH" emails in the last half hour.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BloodBag posted:

Seatpost chatte: I found that most of the road vibrations you feel are largely dependent on your wheels/tires. When I rode gatorskins on lovely mavic cxp22's the ride was harsh as gently caress, that's with carbon fork/seatpost. I changed to conti GP4000S on easton EA70's and it was like a whole different, much better riding bike.

I'll change the wheels around on bikes and find the lovely ride comes with the wheels and I can't even feel the difference in the frame. I'll put the oval concepts 978's (78mm carbon/alu clincher) with vredestein fortezza tricomps on my soul faith and the soul rides like poo poo. I put the eastons back on and it rides like a dream. Put the eastons on my all carbon fuji and it rides like a dream. Wheels/tires make such a huge difference in ride that I can't overstate it.

23c to 25c is just the best upgrade, no matter what the tyres. Unfortunately winter has meant I needed to be on Gatorskins but now spring is juuuust around the corner I'll go back to Turbo Pros and latex tubes. Be nice to be back on good rolling tyres, Gatorskins might deal with poo poo roads but hoy they are crap at everything else.

My present bike is a dream to ride - despite being a so called full blooded S-Works Tarmac race bike, it's really nice to ride. I put on a 3T Aeronova Stealth bar and it pretty much removed any residual hand numbness from vibration. When I get good roads I switch to a set of Xentis carbon wheels and it really is just amazing how well it absorbs road noise.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Are there any newer free MMO's out there that are halfway decent. Been fighting the urge to get my old gaming rig from my parents and load up some SWTOR.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

23c to 25c is just the best upgrade, no matter what the tyres. Unfortunately winter has meant I needed to be on Gatorskins but now spring is juuuust around the corner I'll go back to Turbo Pros and latex tubes. Be nice to be back on good rolling tyres, Gatorskins might deal with poo poo roads but hoy they are crap at everything else.

My present bike is a dream to ride - despite being a so called full blooded S-Works Tarmac race bike, it's really nice to ride. I put on a 3T Aeronova Stealth bar and it pretty much removed any residual hand numbness from vibration. When I get good roads I switch to a set of Xentis carbon wheels and it really is just amazing how well it absorbs road noise.

I ride 23s. I have a pair of those s-works monoos(25s) on some lovely alex wheels and I feel like I'm riding through mud all the time. I hate them. Also, after almost 10 years of riding on gp4000's I've gotten one puncture. In one month of these stupid SWORKS!!! tires, I've gotten three. Anecdotal, but gently caress those pieces of poo poo. I'm also not convinced 25's aren't poo poo meant for fatties so they don't pinch flat all the time, because fat.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Are there any newer free MMO's out there that are halfway decent. Been fighting the urge to get my old gaming rig from my parents and load up some SWTOR.

New Final Fantasy is supposed to be pretty good. Few of my co-workers are currently enjoying it. (Edit - poo poo, missed the free part, never mind.)

On another note, Gale Banks is on the new Smoking Tire podcast - it is very much worth a listen. Dude is basically our Patron Saint.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Get ready for the last game you'll ever play.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

one of us... one of us...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Marvel Heroes (although it's an MMO ARPG)

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Marvel Heroes (although it's an MMO ARPG)

Concurred. Marvel Heroes is a lot of fun.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:nws: Click here if you want to see my ingrown toenail!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think my favorite thing about the 3800 is how many things you can put it into due to GM, Dodge, AMC/Jeep, Toyota, and Aisin laziness.

Oh and the fact that the last-year supercharged one made like 260hp.

3800 into anything that came with a Toyota R series, Jeep/Dodge AX15, Isuzu/Pontiac/GM AR5/MA5, etc 5 speed manual? Sure. You want to put it in a Supra? Go ahead. You can partsbin the transmission together and I'm reasonably certain the clutch and flywheel can be partsbinned too.

3800 into anything that came with a Toyota/Lexus A340 or Jeep AW4? Sure. That means everything under the sun, BTW.

I'm pretty sure there are ways to put an S10 T5 or whatever GM RWD auto came behind them back there stock too, basically just anything that came behind an iron puke.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Niiice. I had one in 9th grade, it went away for good when I accidentally smacked my big toe against the tub faucet. Huge chunk of skin got ripped off and after the immediate pain subsided, the pressure was gone and my toe has been mostly normal ever since.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I used a razor to cut my toenail to a chisel edge, dunked it in peroxide daily, and let it slowly cut its own way through, then heal around the nail*. It kinda hurt but 15 years later it still hasn't come back.

Once you get it to stop doing that (by whatever means), cut your toenails square, not as short as you can. It seriously helps.

* I bet no one is surprised by this, but everyone will still tell me peroxide is bad, blah blah blah, words words words words. Has always worked fine for me, mine looked about like that and a few hours later the swelling was almost gone when I peroxided the poo poo out of it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Aren't most of the 3800s FWD? I looked into them a bit for my truck but it looked like a lot of trouble.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Most are, but the BH pattern is the same, and if you're swapping it needs customizing anyways... IIRC you have to play some games with the intake or something, and make motor mounts and exhaust.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Most are, but the BH pattern is the same, and if you're swapping it needs customizing anyways... IIRC you have to play some games with the intake or something, and make motor mounts and exhaust.

Like, say, routing it through the firewall with a passenger footwell CAI (cabin air intake).

That Corolla is still, like, top 3 for my favorite project ever.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Well poo poo. I got rearended on monday and got an estimate today for repairs and more than likely my truck is going to be totalled out. loving sucks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But the intakes have a maf right on the throttle body and they're awesome at A/F compensation so you can put anything on and it'll work.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Every single time I mention that my dog isn't too friendly with other people their first loving instinct is to stick their hand right in front of my dog's mouth. What the gently caress do these people expect to happen?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Well poo poo. I got rearended on monday and got an estimate today for repairs and more than likely my truck is going to be totalled out. loving sucks.

How does that work? Does that mean you get a new truck?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Reaching over the fence to pet the barking, bristling-hackled dog is always a smart move.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BloodBag posted:

I ride 23s. I have a pair of those s-works monoos(25s) on some lovely alex wheels and I feel like I'm riding through mud all the time. I hate them. Also, after almost 10 years of riding on gp4000's I've gotten one puncture. In one month of these stupid SWORKS!!! tires, I've gotten three. Anecdotal, but gently caress those pieces of poo poo. I'm also not convinced 25's aren't poo poo meant for fatties so they don't pinch flat all the time, because fat.

Literally every bit of data on 25c shows they ride better and roll faster and are more aero. Basically riding 23c is nuts esp with a wide rim.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Under/Over on the number of goons who were on Ashley Madison

:forkbomb:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jeherrin posted:

UK goon here, the family takes the car over to Provence every year or so (so we can bring back lots of wine). I like driving in France. It's pretty sedate, lane discipline on the motorways is excellent, road surface is good, and they have sensible speed limits (130kph in the dry, 120 or 110kph in the wet). The best thing, however, is the aires. Large road-side pull-off stops, set back from the road and separated by trees, with toilets, benches, greenery, and generally lots of space. It's literally quiet enough to nap, and that's intentional.

I'm driving to France tomorrow for a weeks holiday with some mates :)

However I have already driven 600 miles this week going to work and back, and I only got home at 8pm today and it is now 00:30 and I have just finished sorting out my insurance and packing and am now knackered.

My mate is driving my car down to the tunnel leaving at 8am tommorrow (I hope I can sleep a bit in the passenger seat), and then I'm taking over for calais to paris-ish tommorrow afternoon, and then paris-bordeaux the day after.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Bikechat: riding a bike sounds like a lot of fun, but I have an embarrassing confession - I never did learn how to ride a bicycle. Every summer from the time I was five until I was twelve, I'd climb on a bike, try to learn, hit the tiniest little bump and panic and stick my legs straight out and fall over and cry because it hurt. Finally I just gave up and learned to enjoy walking everywhere.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Goober Peas posted:

Well you need to be in a relationship to have an affair so zero.

E: now if we're talking about AnimeWaifuSwap.com then all. All of the Goons.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Goober Peas posted:

That implies that any goons have a partner to cheat on in the first place, so...

e:f,b

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 21, 2015

• Locked thread