Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zorglorfian posted:

So pumped for this. Does anyone know if Boss battles can be done so far as those similar to mario 3 and mario world?

You probably can't do scripted battles like in Mario World, but you could have a room where you stuck in a big enemy who you would have to defeat to progress, I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zorglorfian posted:

So pumped for this. Does anyone know if Boss battles can be done so far as those similar to mario 3 and mario world?

Kind of, Bowser has different properties depending on the graphic style

SMB1: Bowser just jumps and shoots fire- his fire can come from off screen through the level iirc
SMB3: Does the buttstomp as well as shoots fire
World: Shoots fire but he can aim at the sky and make fireballs like his world boss battle rain down and stay on the field
NSMBU: Can shoot waves of fireballs that destroy terrain and can jump around.

Bowser Jr alternatively
First 3 I'm not sure on but in NSMBU he can do ground pounds that stun you if your standing on the floor and shoot tiny fireballs that pass through terrain.
If you put him in the clown copter in any style he acts like Bowser from World and will duck into it and throw two green shells on either side of him instead of mecha koopas.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish someone around here would break street date

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Eonwe posted:

I wish someone around here would break street date

You'd have to play a bunch of levels made by reviewers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

All reviewer levels are getting deleted when the game launches anyway

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I get irrationally angry watching these reviewers play the game terribly by loving up basic jumps or just not seeing where they're supposed to go :argh:

That Game.CX guy was ballin' though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Has anyone seen if you can make bosses drop win condition items, like Boomer did in Mario 3? I figure that'd be the best way to make proper boss stages

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Has anyone seen if you can make bosses drop win condition items, like Boomer did in Mario 3? I figure that'd be the best way to make proper boss stages
There doesn't seem to be a "victory item" like the "?" ball in SMB3 and SMW - the only way to finish a level is with the end of level flagpole/goal box/goalposts/bridge axe.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

A Steampunk Gent posted:

A door or obstacle than you can set to disappear or self-destruct when the boss dies would work too.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
IGN is streaming mario maker for the next ~2 hours

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Mario Kart and Mewtwo. Wheeee

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

It's kind of silly to think Super Mario Maker is the only game where you can play as Mario, Pikachu, Sonic, Megaman, Chibi-robo and Waluigi.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Spectacle Rock posted:

We've yet to see what happens (if anything) when an Amiibo Costume Mario gets a regular Super Mushroom. Probably nothing, but it'd be neat if they got "bigger."

I'd rather see what happens when an Amiibo Costume Mario gets a Skinny Mushroom.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Have we seen anyone who's unlocked one of the amiibo costumes through 100 Mario Challenge yet?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Have we seen anyone who's unlocked one of the amiibo costumes through 100 Mario Challenge yet?

Yes, at the end of this video he unlocks Pit.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Color Printer posted:

I wonder why they didn't use his NES sprite?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Willo567 posted:

I wonder why they didn't use his NES sprite?

I'm guessing it's out of scale with small Mario. Same reason the mega man sprite is edited.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So here is a interesting video of a dude that made Metroid like level using the Super Mario Bro's 3 title set. The player has to collect various power ups (mushroom to break blocks, fireflowers to get past blocking enemies, etc) and even includes a miniboss.

Really show how far the level design can be taken.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

BexGu posted:

So here is a interesting video of a dude that made Metroid like level using the Super Mario Bro's 3 title set. The player has to collect various power ups (mushroom to break blocks, fireflowers to get past blocking enemies, etc) and even includes a miniboss.

The clock really kills this, I hope they eventually let you make levels with no clock, but other than that this is freaking genius

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

BexGu posted:

this is cool as hell

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BexGu posted:

Andre from GX made a pretty cool flying level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5fcDHnhOU

This game has so much potential if reviewers could make stuff like this after having it a few days. Still hoping for SLOPE DLC though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I just saw this and I think it's a neat idea for a level. I like how adding wings to enemies changes their behavior.

edit: goddamnit, beaten

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

This game makes me glad that bayonetta 2 got me to buy one of these things. Smash and Mario cart have been great, but I'm really looking forward to a game with essentially unlimited single player fun.

Game looks rad as hell.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Color Printer posted:

Man, I am going to get so much mileage out of the 100 Mario mode. I love the idea of getting a steady stream of random levels without getting kicked back to the menu to search for more.

I'm hoping they're good about slipping in lesser played levels. Other level editor games make it a bitch to get people to sample your level after it falls off the 'what's new' page.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The metroid-style level is really cool, and the scrolling shooter with functional boss battle is really rad. I'm glad you can set a trigger to change to boss battle music, that's super awesome.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Apparently there's sound effect triggers for boss fight music and bonus room music, and they play based on proximity (not time) after you touch them. But you can just place them some distance apart along the area and they play continuously. Pretty neat!

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 21, 2015

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I had no idea winged Spinys could do that. I foresee lots of bullet hell levels.

Never thought I'd type that about this game, but I'm stoked the engine is robust enough that you can do something like that.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

BexGu posted:

This is incredible.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Andre from GX made a pretty cool flying level.

This game has so much potential if reviewers could make stuff like this after having it a few days. Still hoping for SLOPE DLC though.

This is also incredible. Knowing that I have to wait to own this game then wait longer to unlock all the objects is starting to hurt.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 21, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BexGu posted:

They have to let you turn of the clock right!? Come on!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Suspicious Cook posted:

This is also incredible. Knowing that I have to wait to own this game then wait longer to unlock all the objects is starting to hurt.

You can mess with the clock to unlock stuff faster. It's like five minutes per day, so a little over 45 minutes to unlock everything.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Sam Faust posted:

You can mess with the clock to unlock stuff faster. It's like five minutes per day, so a little over 45 minutes to unlock everything.

Really? Nintendo always makes you suffer if you mess with the system clock. I can't believe they'd overlook that.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Suspicious Cook posted:

Really? Nintendo always makes you suffer if you mess with the system clock. I can't believe they'd overlook that.

I mentioned it earlier here if you want video proof.

Sam Faust posted:

In case you were wondering about whether or not Mario Maker respects your powers over time and space, I found an answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CszEpvTb5BM&t=239s

Also notice that some of the youtuber/reviewer videos have everything unlocked even though they had the game for only a few days.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Delaio posted:

This game makes me glad that bayonetta 2 got me to buy one of these things. Smash and Mario cart have been great, but I'm really looking forward to a game with essentially unlimited single player fun.

Game looks rad as hell.

I bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and never bought bayonetta 2.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

J-Spot posted:

Man, I am going to get so much mileage out of the 100 Mario mode. I love the idea of getting a steady stream of random levels without getting kicked back to the menu to search for more.

I'm hoping they're good about slipping in lesser played levels. Other level editor games make it a bitch to get people to sample your level after it falls off the 'what's new' page.

I'm just confused as to why 100 Mario mode is the only way to play the game in a long-form manner. It seems the only ways to play are the aforementioned 100 Mario mode (ie steady stream of random levels) or browsing/searching and picking a specific level to play.

I've seen in videos that the game allows you to create full "mario games" (ie a progression of World 1 featuring 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 followed by 2-1, 2-2, etc), so why not let you upload these full games in entirety? Maybe in the DLC.

Also it's entirely possible that you CAN already do this and I just haven't heard about it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Regy Rusty posted:

They have to let you turn of the clock right!? Come on!

I don't recall whether anyone said you could turn the clock off, but we know you can increase the clock beyond 500 (presumably to 999).
The majority of levels I've seen are set to the default 500 so apparently the clock is in 'one weird menu setting location, Nintendo doesn't want you to know!'

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm pretty sure you just tap the clock icon. It should also be the same menu you turn on auto-scroll.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How come people have the game so early.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

They have review copies

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I pledge to make ghost houses only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
I've never changed the clock before to unlock stuff early. How does it work again? Can I just set the date to next month and everything will be unlocked? And then change it back to this month and it'll be fine?

• Locked thread