Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Last I checked motorcycle licenses were broken down into 3 categories: <50cc, 50-250cc, 250+cc. The <50cc license is the easiest to get; you just have to pass the written test. The 50-250cc license requires the written test and then a short practical test on a tiny little course. The hardest part about it is driving in a straight line at a low speed for a minimum amount of time to prove you won't fall over. You won't be able to get the 250+cc until you've had the <250cc license for a year (again, last I checked) and that requires a separate test.

You're really not going to want to take a 50cc scooter out of town. You'll see lots of Taiwanese people doing all sorts of crazy stuff on a 50cc scooter (easily identifiable by its green license plate), but they're tiny and don't have a lot of power. Some of them are barely big enough for two people. Most people get by on a 100-150cc scooter. You can get around the greater Taipei area on one of those without issue. If you go all the way up to 250cc, you can get a pretty deluxe scooter. It should be noted that the license does not distinguish between scooters or motorcycles, so you could take the practical on a 100cc scooter and then immediately hop onto a 250cc crotch rocket. However, no bike of any size can use the freeways (高速公路) so any island driving you do has to be on local roads. There are certain expressways (快速道路) that scooters can go on, notably one that runs from the Yingge/Tucheng/Taoyuan area to the outskirts of Taipei, but it won't really be ideal for lengthy trips around the island. That isn't to say people don't do it, but it's the kind of thing you'll need to block out a week for with plans to stop at several hotels along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm the guy in Yingge, and I drive to Taoyuan on my scooter a few times a week, sometimes all the way to the Costco in Nankan. Actually, just got back from driving there right now. I've never driven my scooter all the way to Taipei, not because of difficulty or possibility, I just never bothered since there's a train station right here. I've ridden my bicycle to Taipei and even out to Tamsui from here, so, uh, it's not impossible. Zhongli is not that much further far away versus Taoyuan.

Scooter-wise, Haraksha Atlas Hugged has already answered it pretty well. Taking the written test for a 50cc beater is enough to just get from point A to point B in the area, but if you're gonna be carrying passengers/a lot of stuff for longer commutes, you've definitely gotta take the practical test and at least get a 100cc, which works for me but most here will say you need 125-150cc at a minimum.

I can't speak to rent in Zhongli, but out here in Yingge I have a big 2 floor, 3 bedroom apartment for about NT9000 a month, but it's in an older building that is a bit off the main drag. Works for me. :shobon:

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Yeah, for example Zhubei/Chubei/Chupei/Jhubei/Jubei are all actual ways I've seen the Hsinchu suburb with the HSR station labeled on various maps and signs. Some of those aren't even correct in any common romanization system.

Atlas Hugged posted:

However, no bike of any size can use the freeways (高速公路) so any island driving you do has to be on local roads.

>550cc motorcycles can use the highways, right? IIRC they're also treated like cars for parking and probably other regulations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm not sure what "highways" qualify as here. I know there are a bunch of elevated streets that link parts of Taipei that >550cc bikes can use. I don't know if there's an equivalent that stretches across the island. But it's been awhile since I seriously looked into the laws.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

USDA Choice posted:

>550cc motorcycles can use the highways, right? IIRC they're also treated like cars for parking and probably other regulations.

From my research, I think both Yellow and Red can be used on expressways (for certain the red plates can). The central government made it "legal" to drive Red plates on the Freeways, pending approval by the Taiwan highway or transportation ministry. I think there was a brief few months where this was the case, before all the local cities and municipalities raised hell about it and the transportation ministry reversed course. I'm not sure if there's a push to reopen the freeways to red plates, but it seems to be the perfect bureaucratic limbo in that people who would demand it can't get angry at the President/Parliament because they passed the law; and trying to get the DOT or whoever to approve it is going to be a loving headache that many aren't willing to deal with, because you can't just vote those assholes out.

A lot of older folks (ie, those in government), it would seem, cannot come to grips that a motorcycle can safely maintain highway speeds, and when they hear about "driving a motorcycle on the freeway" they seem to think it means grandpa and his oil-burning 50cc going 30km/h down freeway 1. Speaking with one of my older Taiwanese friends, the push back to the idea I got was "there aren't any scooter lanes on the freeway." This, even after having visited the USA and having experienced driving on the highways with motorcycles.

Otherwise, "highways" are the blue-shield surface roads that are everywhere. "expressways" are raised highways, with a red shield instead of a blue shield, and normally go in an East-West direction, but some go North-South. "Freeways" are the flower-shielded limited access dual roadways.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

And when you hit them on a scooter you have to go through some kind of labyrinthine system of curves and tunnels to get to the other side instead of just spending 10 seconds on it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

Otherwise, "highways" are the blue-shield surface roads that are everywhere. "expressways" are raised highways, with a red shield instead of a blue shield, and normally go in an East-West direction, but some go North-South. "Freeways" are the flower-shielded limited access dual roadways.

All of this makes total sense when you're actually on the roads in Taiwan. I think part of the problem is that highway, expressway, and freeway get used interchangeably in English even when they have official definitions and are supposed to be distinct things.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I spent a considerable amount of time in Taoyuan earlier this year and still spend time there every other weekend. It's not a terrible town and north western Taiwan is basically one large megalopolis. I rely on mass transit, so getting out of Taipei on weekends and holidays really sucks. Before the last typhoon it took me about 2 hours to get there from North Eastern Taipei. You should keep in mind that Taiwan "closes" down early for most folks and you may have trouble making it back home if you do decide to live in Taoyuan.

https://www.facebook.com/debbies3151019 - Debbie's has gotta be my favorite restaurant in town. I'm visiting the US right now and just had breakfast at sit down restaurant just down the road and it didn't hold a candle to Debbie's. There's also plenty of decent places to go camping/barbecuing by river sites, and I hear there is a place to drive go-carts as well.

I would like to pitch you a somewhat crazy idea I had before moving to Taiwan:

Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea are all part of the 90 day visa waiver program. Thailand gives you a month and I've never been to the Philippines before.

Since your income is based in the USA, you could theoretically rotate among these countries every 3 months and not deal with immigration. With the right connections, and you have the SA network, you could bounce between places. The biggest hurdle to this is finding housing. In Taiwan, most places want a contract + 2 months deposit. You can find places for short term, monthly rentals in Korea. I have no idea about Japan. Maybe you could get a monthly Airbnb rental, but I wouldn't want to pay a ton more than the "market" rate. $300-450/month.

Granted, you'd have a language barrier, but there are so many expats who never learn the local language and end up living in these countries for decades.

Using low cost carriers, you could keep your travel costs down to less than a $1,000/year (travel to and from airports adds up).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Thailand has a long history of digital nomads, but it also may not be the best place to have on a shortlist these days. The political situation is a bit unpredictable and somewhat unstable at the moment and there was just a major bombing at a popular shopping and tourist location. However, the currency is plummeting in value so if you are earning USD then you would be in good shape to live how you wanted.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

edit: actually, does anyone know anything about Chengchi's Mandarin program? This is supposedly the site, but it's been broken: http://mandarin.nccu.edu.tw/

I was at Chengchi for a year (2013-2014) and highly recommend it. 15 hours of class per week, small classes (7-9 people), and it's in a great location on the edge of Taipei, right against the mountains but still close to the MRT.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Atlas Hugged posted:

All of this makes total sense when you're actually on the roads in Taiwan. I think part of the problem is that highway, expressway, and freeway get used interchangeably in English even when they have official definitions and are supposed to be distinct things.

I still catch myself calling freeways Interstates from time to time. It just feels unnatural to call them something else.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I have wonderful news, everyone

Denny's, Carl's Jr., and Arby's are coming to taipei

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:tviv:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

I have wonderful news, everyone

Denny's, Carl's Jr., and Arby's are coming to taipei
:tviv::tviv::tviv:
:tviv:POST YOUR SOURCE:tviv:
:tviv::tviv::tviv:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
My boss said he saw it on the news :shrug:

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

kenner116 posted:

I was at Chengchi for a year (2013-2014) and highly recommend it. 15 hours of class per week, small classes (7-9 people), and it's in a great location on the edge of Taipei, right against the mountains but still close to the MRT.

No sweat if you don't know the answers to these questions, but I have to ask, since their site is completely offline for some reason.

Do you remember the schedule at all? It sounds ridiculous to most people, but I basically need to choose a program based on whether or not I could do it entirely in the morning and be back at my apartment by like 1pm local time.

What would you call the neighborhood its in? I see it's in the southeast corner, I just don't know anything about the area. How is it? What's rent like?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

quadrophrenic posted:

FIND THE YOUTUBE OF THE REPORT

you loving tease

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

quadrophrenic posted:

I like Carl's Jr a lot and also Arby's a lot despite pop culture generally telling me it's bad. I would like this to be true but your boss is a jerk and I dunno if I can trust him

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'd look it up but I don't know how to say "explosive diarrhea" in chinese

Jk I totally do it's 爆瀉

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

No sweat if you don't know the answers to these questions, but I have to ask, since their site is completely offline for some reason.

Do you remember the schedule at all? It sounds ridiculous to most people, but I basically need to choose a program based on whether or not I could do it entirely in the morning and be back at my apartment by like 1pm local time.

What would you call the neighborhood its in? I see it's in the southeast corner, I just don't know anything about the area. How is it? What's rent like?

You'll either have classes at 8-11 AM or 12-3 PM. If you're given an afternoon class it shouldn't be hard to switch to a morning one.

The neighborhood is in Muzha 木柵 which is a part of Wenshan District 文山區.

I lived in a regular dormitory right on the main street (ZhiNan Road 指南路) which only cost 14000 NTD per three months, which came to about 5 USD per day. Two people per room and you just have to pay extra for AC and heat. Single apartments in the area ranged from 5000 NTD per month up to 10000.

Here is the Google street view at the main gate on Zhinan Rd.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

kenner116 posted:

You'll either have classes at 8-11 AM or 12-3 PM. If you're given an afternoon class it shouldn't be hard to switch to a morning one.

The neighborhood is in Muzha 木柵 which is a part of Wenshan District 文山區.

I lived in a regular dormitory right on the main street (ZhiNan Road 指南路) which only cost 14000 NTD per three months, which came to about 5 USD per day. Two people per room and you just have to pay extra for AC and heat. Single apartments in the area ranged from 5000 NTD per month up to 10000.

Here is the Google street view at the main gate on Zhinan Rd.

Thanks a ton!

I don't have a good handle on the MRT...how convenient is it to get downtown?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What even is considered "downtown" in Taipei? Seriously, I've lived here 2+ years and I have no idea. 101? Zhongxiao road? The government district? Banqiou?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

What even is considered "downtown" in Taipei? Seriously, I've lived here 2+ years and I have no idea. 101? Zhongxiao road? The government district? Banqiou?

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Thanks a ton!

I don't have a good handle on the MRT...how convenient is it to get downtown?

The MRT is a 7 minute bike ride away, right at the zoo. But it's actually faster to take the 1 or 16 bus though the mountain to get to Taipei 101.

The other downtown for me was Gongguan which was also more direct by bus.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

kenner116 posted:

The MRT is a 7 minute bike ride away, right at the zoo. But it's actually faster to take the 1 or 16 bus though the mountain to get to Taipei 101.

The other downtown for me was Gongguan which was also more direct by bus.

Hmmm, awesome. The neighborhood looks really cool and livable based on google maps streetview. Last two questions I can think of:

What's tuition for the mandarin program at Chengchi? Sorry to ask, but again their site is down.

And...I forgot the other. It was a general Taiwan question though. I'll think of it.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Hmmm, awesome. The neighborhood looks really cool and livable based on google maps streetview. Last two questions I can think of:

What's tuition for the mandarin program at Chengchi? Sorry to ask, but again their site is down.

And...I forgot the other. It was a general Taiwan question though. I'll think of it.

29200 NTD with insurance (2 years ago).
Tuition was a bit less in the winter semester (Dec-Feb) since it was a couple weeks shorter.

And here's a nice video of a ride up Zhinan Lu.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Sweet, I just got my scooter license! I'm legal to drive "Ordinary Heavy-Duty Motorcycles". As it seems all the information I could glean from internet and other things was at least two years old, I figured I'd relate my very recent experiences as to how I got my license, as it may help others on the same path.

I'm new here? Can I get a license?
No. You can only get an International Permit/License. You have to get the IDL from your nation's national auto club (In the USA, that'd be AAA), and then "transfer" that into a Taiwanese IDL for it to be valid for longer than 30 days.
To get a license, you must have a valid period longer than a year on your ARC; that is, issue date to expiry date must be greater than 1 calendar year. Alternatively, if your passport shows that you have been in the country, continually, for more than a year, you may also apply.

What documents do I need?
ARC, Taiwan "passport style" photos (like the ones you take for your ARC), and a "driver's physical." This was the first tripping point for me, as I was told by my boss and one of the older expat teachers that they were able to use their ARC physical, but the DMV here in Chiayi City rejected it, gave me their form and told me to get another physical. This one is basically just height, weight, and eyesight; so don't sweat it. Cost me NT$55 at the local hospital, but other goons mentioned the bigger cities might actually conduct this "physical" at their respective DMVs. Point is, your ARC physical is not a valid document, so don't spend the extra money to get an extra copy unless you really want to know the state of your health (you do).

What tests do I need to take?
To get the license I did, which allows you to drive anything under 250cc, you must take the written and practical tests, and sit through a hour and a half long presentation with a quiz and survey at the end.

Is this all in English?
The written test is available in Chinese, English, Vietnamese, and a few other languages, so don't sweat it. Practical test site has all of the rules written in English, but the instructor might not speak English. The Presentation and Quiz weren't in English for me, but the quiz is ancillary and not actually required for your license (seriously, they're busy making your license while you're watching the video).

So, walk me through this.
First, you register for the tests. It's $250. You take the written test, which is actually on a computer, and you'll know if you pass or fail. Afterwards, is the practical. Again, you'll know right away if you pass or fail. Last is the Presentation, if you've made it this far you've already got the license.

Tell me about the written test?
There are 50 questions, pulled randomly from a bank of something like 2,000. This was increased recently, more questions and more things to ask about. They include road sign recognition, road marking recognition (what do the lines in the road mean?), traffic warden hand signals, driver hand signals, what to do in situations, penalties for violating rules, who pays who in an accident (the injured passenger always gets money), basic first aid (including CPR), and general road courtesy questions. Hardest thing for me was the penalties and first aid; with traffic wardens, just remember it's the warden's left and right, not your left and right when observing him. You have 50 minutes to complete the test, and must pass with, I think, an 85. I highly recommend taking the online practice test which you can take as many times as you want in a single setting. It's basically how I "studied" for the test:
https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-simulator-drv/

Tell me about the driving test?
Two parts, very straight forward, and hasn't changed. First part is the balance test. You have to ride in a straight line on a 10 meter long by 50cm wide strip, and must take longer than 7 seconds to complete this task. There might be a bump at the beginning, so watch out. I think it's best to enter a little faster and basically slow down through the length. Also, remember the number 1 rule for riding any motorcycle look where you want to go! Reading other people's experiences, I think this is the number 1 thing that trips them up. I've read people who lean over to see where their wheel is and lose balance because they're not sitting correctly. Just focus on the far end and make small adjustments.
Second part is the simulated road. You must use your turn signals when you turn. If the traffic light is flashing green, you must stop. Everything else is easy enough to do even if you got your first license from a Cracker Jack box.
You have two attempts to do this test, and must score 70 or higher. Note: some violations will demerit 32 points, there are some things that will automatically fail you!

At this point, if you've passed, you've got your license. All you have to do is...

Tell me about the video/PowerPoint/presentation?
Another item that I got a lot of people saying "I didn't have to do that," and so on. It's an hour and a half long presentation about basic road safety that features videos of accidents, and basic driver safety stuff like "don't drink and drive" as well as when and where to do the "box turn". The video was about 45 minutes long (made longer by the presenter pausing and talking every now and again to show us more videos of wrecks) and a PowerPoint that seemed more locally focused, as one slide was, I think, traffic fatalities per year here in Chiayi City and Chiayi County (actually on the decline for the past three years!). There's a survey and quiz at the end, but I didn't have to take it because it's in Chinese and I'm a dirty foreigner; so I'm assuming the quiz is not actually required to get your license, perhaps just another way to gauge the quality of the instructor/class.

The DMV here in Chiayi only had the "class" part twice a day, so I had to come back the following day due to work. It may be a good idea to check with your local DMV to see if this is the case so you can plan your day.

Okay, so when do I actually get my license?
After you watch the presentation, go to the issuing/payment counter, give the nice person there NT$200, and they'll give you your nice shiny new General Heavy-Duty (<250cc) Motorcycle license! Total time spent at the DMV: approx 3~4 hours.

What if I fail?
You must wait 1 week to try again, and I believe you must pay the NT$250 again. If you fail the written, you don't take the driving test. If you pass the written, but fail the driving test, you only have to retake the driving test.

But I've got this awesome Driver's License from (place), can't I just transfer to a Taiwanese license?
This you have to research on your own. I believe only about 10 states in the US (including Texas and Florida; Ohio is not included) have reciprocity with Taiwan. I think Canada also has reciprocity with Taiwan. It may vary, but at least with the two states I mentioned, you must surrender your driver's license in exchange for a Taiwanese one, otherwise you'll have to take the tests if you want to keep your "home" driver's license.

Can I transfer up my IDL/IDP into a full "permanent" license?
No.

Okay, that's the culmination of all my research and experience. It really does seem odd that every "source" seems to have part of the information, but not every bit of it, and no where did I once see a listing of the fees ($250/$200). If I've left anything out, let me know. Now I've got to research about getting a car license and getting a Large Heavy-Duty Motorcycle (>250cc) license, and I've got a ton of questions about both. Yipee!

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

Whole lotta stuff

So, what are the limitations of an IDL? What can/can't you do with it?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Barracuda Bang! posted:

The IDL you get in Taiwan will reflect the IDP issued to you by your local auto-club. So, if you have a motorcycle endorsement, it'll grant you that. The only thing that doesn't transfer are CDL classes, as there is a law in Taiwan banning foreigners from operating heavy commercial vehicles.

The IDP you get from home is only valid for the first 30 days you enter Taiwan, then you must go to the DMV to get it transferred over into a Taiwan IDL, which will be valid for the duration of your visa/ARC, but not for more than 1 year. I had mine extended to 90 days with my visa, and then again to the full year when I got my ARC.

Now, this part may have changed, as apparently Taiwan has changed the rule that use to be if you got a car license (Taiwanese or foreigner alike) you automatically got the 50cc (green plate) scooter license. That is no longer the case with getting a car license here in Taiwan, so if your IDP doesn't show an endorsement for 50cc scooters, you might not be able to drive those legally. My IDL permits me to operate cars or 50cc scooters because that's what my IDP says, because that's what my Ohio Driver's License allows me. So basically, your IDP should reflect your home driver's license, and the Taiwan IDL will reflect your IDP.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

The IDL you get in Taiwan will reflect the IDP issued to you by your local auto-club. So, if you have a motorcycle endorsement, it'll grant you that. The only thing that doesn't transfer are CDL classes, as there is a law in Taiwan banning foreigners from operating heavy commercial vehicles.

The IDP you get from home is only valid for the first 30 days you enter Taiwan, then you must go to the DMV to get it transferred over into a Taiwan IDL, which will be valid for the duration of your visa/ARC, but not for more than 1 year. I had mine extended to 90 days with my visa, and then again to the full year when I got my ARC.

Now, this part may have changed, as apparently Taiwan has changed the rule that use to be if you got a car license (Taiwanese or foreigner alike) you automatically got the 50cc (green plate) scooter license. That is no longer the case with getting a car license here in Taiwan, so if your IDP doesn't show an endorsement for 50cc scooters, you might not be able to drive those legally. My IDL permits me to operate cars or 50cc scooters because that's what my IDP says, because that's what my Ohio Driver's License allows me. So basically, your IDP should reflect your home driver's license, and the Taiwan IDL will reflect your IDP.

Hmm, so does that mean you would basically need a full M endorsement on your US license if you wanted to legally ride scooters, of any size, on an IDL? This is because I don't think many states have any levels between "standard car" and "motorcycle."

edit: actually, at least in New York, you can ride scooters that go up to and including 30mpg top speed with a regular license. No idea what cc rating that equates to, though.

Barracuda Bang! fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 26, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Hmm, so does that mean you would basically need a full M endorsement on your US license if you wanted to legally ride scooters, of any size, on an IDL? This is because I don't think many states have any levels between "standard car" and "motorcycle."

Pretty much, yeah. Check your local laws, and check with AAA. Ohio, for example, allows anyone with a valid license to operate motorcycles and mopeds under 50cc capacity, but anything above you need the endorsement. If you have a full M endorsement, though, you'll be allowed to drive anything and everything including red-plates, so there's that.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Looks like you get 1 year of use, and you can't own a scooter or car yourself. (source: tealit post)

IDPs are different, you have to get it stamped by the DMV, then it's good for 6 months to a year depending on the country/state it's from. They're otherwise ok for first 30 days.

e: that link seems pretty informative for both general scooter and car license info

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
It used to be that if you were ok to drive a car, you were automatically ok to drive a 50cc, but I think I heard that that changed recently (within 3 years) due to some people getting hosed on scooters because they could, in fact, not drive them. Still, it could've just been some article about "we're thinking about changing this rule" and they haven't actually pushed the change through yet.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Unless you really want to go over 250cc/drive a car, or you're also planning to go to other countries, it's almost certainly easier to just take the test here.

go slow, turn, turn, stop, stop, turn, you are licensed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9fe-lccEW8

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

duckfarts posted:

It used to be that if you were ok to drive a car, you were automatically ok to drive a 50cc, but I think I heard that that changed recently (within 3 years) due to some people getting hosed on scooters because they could, in fact, not drive them. Still, it could've just been some article about "we're thinking about changing this rule" and they haven't actually pushed the change through yet.

I believe that change was made official this June or July, in addition to adding more questions to the pool for the written test.

Also, in the USA at least, AAA will issue IDPs for a nominal fee of about $20 US. That's where I got mine anyways.

E: also, the IDL can only be made valid up to a year, because the IDP is only valid for a year.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Practice that driving test beforehand, the part where you have to finish the narrow track in over 20 seconds is surprisingly difficult.

Speaking of scooters, thought I'd just throw this out there - After I moved to Taipei I basically never drove my scooter again because I just take mass transit everywhere. So it's been sitting in front of my apartment building for the past few years. Tires are flat, starter doesn't work, the last time I kick-started it was probably about 6 months ago. It's got a few traffic tickets on it as well.

If anybody wants it, they can have it for free (except for any repairs and tickets). All I ask is that since it's in my name you know how to get ownership legally transferred.

tl;dr: Who wants a "free" scooter?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Anybody know if that new PX Mart ghost month commercial is on YouTube? It's great

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsIQTWAFKuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uc8iNlAkc0

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Yesssss that Jason one. There's a follow up one too apparently you can see from a suggested video that pops up at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
:siren:Correction about International Driving Permits:siren:

I finally dug mine out. Mine was issued by AAA, so I'm not sure if it varries by country or issuing agency, but here's how mine looks. It has five categories:
A: Motorcycles not exceeding 400kg/900lbs.
B: Passenger vehicles with occupancy of at most 8 seats (in addition to driver) or GVWR less than 3,500kg/7,700lbs; with light trailer.
C: Motor vehicles for transporting goods with GVWR exceeding 3,500kg/7,700lbs; with light trailer.
D: Passenger vehicles with occupancy greater than 8 seats in addition to the driver; with light trailer
E: Categories B, C, or D with anything other than a light trailer.

I remember the lady actually asked me if I wanted the motorcycle category, but I don't have the endorsement on my driver's license so I said no. Otherwise, yeah, I'd imagine you'd legally need the endorsement on your driver's license to get it on your IDP. If you stay in Taiwan longer than 30 days you have to go to the DMV to get a International Driver's License, which is just paperwork, but will reflect your IDP in the permissions it grants (except for commercial vehicles, foreigners specifically cannot operate commercial vehicles, so I imagine categories C, D, and E won't be granted).

Moon Slayer posted:

Practice that driving test beforehand, the part where you have to finish the narrow track in over 20 seconds is surprisingly difficult.

It's 7 seconds! It's a rodeo, not sex! :argh: