Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

JerryLee posted:

It sort of irks me that they're doing that sort of work when they still have so much of their range waiting to be made in Bones at all. I mean, Reaper will do what Reaper will do and there's already so much more cool stuff out in Bones than I could have possibly imagined when it was 4 years ago and they just had like a werewolf and a purple worm, so it feels kind of petty to be saying this, but given that there's a de facto limited number of spots for new tooling, it seems like they should be expanding the line rather than redoing little details.

poo poo, if you want to revisit older Bones, start remaking the floppy-weapon-havers in rigid Bonesium. There's a significant quality increase.

Would that just be a matter of using different materials, rather than entirely new tooling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Did Reaper ever achieve their actual stated goal from the first of moving the plastic casting operation to Texas, or have they given up that pretense and now it's all just a free for all for cheap monstermans?

I mean, I don't care that much, I will buy cheap monstermans, but I am curious how much of that was just an ostensible reason to justify the crowdfunding aspect for that sweet KS monies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think they ever planned to have the entirety of manufacturing here, but the majority, eventually.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Otisburg posted:

Did Reaper ever achieve their actual stated goal from the first of moving the plastic casting operation to Texas, or have they given up that pretense and now it's all just a free for all for cheap monstermans?

I mean, I don't care that much, I will buy cheap monstermans, but I am curious how much of that was just an ostensible reason to justify the crowdfunding aspect for that sweet KS monies.

The first one paid for a machine to make bones figures. I think they call it Thomas or something because it looks like a train.

These kickstarters are basically to fund the creation of the molds themselves. They're very expensive to make, so they're having us foot the bill for the creation of those molds, paying us in subsidized monstermans. Instead of tooling a few dozen molds a year, they can do a couple hundred at once thanks to the kickstarter funds. Though, since there's so much to make for the rewards, their single machine has no way in hell of making them all, so the kickstarter figures are all made in China.

They do make some stuff in Texas, supposedly, but who really knows.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

About the Fire Giants

quote:

From Bryan (or whomever is currently posting form the Project Creator account currently):

@Bench - Larger versions of the models from Bones 1. Now that we understand the material and process better, we wanted to redo them in the size the Monster Books say they are.

@R Statler - new sculpts (because the originals weren't digital and cannot be upscaled easily) but we anticipate the same poses and a greater level of detail to go along with the increased size.

So the same, but not the same

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Pretty much what Ravendas said. Bringing manufacturing over was never listed as one of their primary goals. It was just a "Hey, we've got enough extra money to start this process." Actually getting manufacturing moved over is something that's going to take at least another five or ten years and involves a lot of pretty big issues that need to be solved. The fact that injection molding machines are expensive is just one. Another is that it takes time to learn to use these machines, though they're getting more proficient at it. They also have almost all of their molds over in China right now. Also, a minor issue, but all of the molds have "Made in China" impressions. They're figuring out exactly how best to fix that when they begin making them in the US.

Right now, they make the bases in their own factory. I believe they intend to make the weapon sprues with Thomas as well. Hopefully they can keep moving forward and eventually have sufficient in-house production for Bones, but it's going to be a good long while yet.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

Pretty much what Ravendas said. Bringing manufacturing over was never listed as one of their primary goals. It was just a "Hey, we've got enough extra money to start this process." Actually getting manufacturing moved over is something that's going to take at least another five or ten years and involves a lot of pretty big issues that need to be solved. The fact that injection molding machines are expensive is just one. Another is that it takes time to learn to use these machines, though they're getting more proficient at it. They also have almost all of their molds over in China right now. Also, a minor issue, but all of the molds have "Made in China" impressions. They're figuring out exactly how best to fix that when they begin making them in the US.

Right now, they make the bases in their own factory. I believe they intend to make the weapon sprues with Thomas as well. Hopefully they can keep moving forward and eventually have sufficient in-house production for Bones, but it's going to be a good long while yet.

Yep. They're doing the simple stuff in-house while they get things figured out.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's me, I'm the idiot that didn't read up on Bones before priming the model with my cheap rattlecan and now it's a tacky pile of poo poo that won't hold paint. What's the best fix for this?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I don't think anyone's found a good solution. You can try stripping it and hoping it'll fix it, but I think it pretty much ruins the mini.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

I don't think anyone's found a good solution. You can try stripping it and hoping it'll fix it, but I think it pretty much ruins the mini.

RIP.

Wash them with soap, water and a toothbrush to get the mold release off of them. Then, paint should just stick right to it. The 'new' thing is to just put watered down Reaper Brown Liner over the entire things as a base coat that makes the details pop out. For whatever reason, Brown Liner sticks really, really well to the bones, and acts as a good primer.

Here's my first use of it, after hearing about it in the Kickstarter comments section:

Watered down a bit, it acts a bit like a wash, so it's already pre-shadowed if you paint thinly over it!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Boo. Good thing these things are cheap.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I did the same thing with an orc while searching for a viable rattle can primer (they're out there, but it requires testing.) Among other things, I tried a varnish over the top of the forever-tacky primer, and it had basically no effect. So now there's this one lone all-black orc foreverial primed up and fully paintilized sitting in my spray booth, catching whatever happens to land on him.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I made the mistake of rattlecan priming an unpainted Bones once, and after stripping as much of it as I could with Simple Green and then letting the rest sit for a while, I was able to paint over it and now you can't tell it was ever tacky. So I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Filling out my pledge manager I just couldn't bring myself to get a huge Mal'drakar to sit with my other unpainted capstones, so I swapped it out for a bunch of smaller stuff.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Paolomania posted:

Filling out my pledge manager I just couldn't bring myself to get a huge Mal'drakar to sit with my other unpainted capstones, so I swapped it out for a bunch of smaller stuff.

I'm really tempted to do the same, but then every time I seriously consider it, I'm like, poo poo, tiamat.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I figured that, realistically, I am never going to put this on a table in front of players. It is a display piece that I'm never going to paint or display.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Honestly, that's largely the reason I haven't finished my pledge yet. I'm all excited at the idea of that thing, but the reality of it keeps preventing me from puling the trigger with any finality.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I've looked a few times at the big Bones display (3 racks of them) at my FLGS. I finally bit the bullet and bought a model and some paints. (Actually my second bones figure now, since I got one free at a painting workshop at Dragonflight,. A cool guy was teaching it). My goal is get a bunch of different types (Sword and board, duel wield, spears/pole-arms, ranged weapons) for prototyping a miniatures game I'm designing, and modding some to fit in with the game world.

Basically, I love bones figures now, cheap and easy to paint.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Bad Munki posted:

Honestly, that's largely the reason I haven't finished my pledge yet. I'm all excited at the idea of that thing, but the reality of it keeps preventing me from puling the trigger with any finality.

I am 100% in the same boat. It's just so huge for $60, too. Like, the part of my brain that assesses the value of even this kind of thing just seems to be short-circuited by it. Tiamat!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There's no rush on the pledge manager is there?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

There's no rush on the pledge manager is there?

Not that I know of.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

With bones 2 which wrapped up in October of 2014, I pledged one USD and was able to complete it in May of this year adding whatever I wanted, pay the difference, and get my monsterman toys.

I assume this will be largely the same.

So I heard they're doing a prepaints KS? That might be worth looking at, particularly if they do it adequately (full basecoat, some detail/highlight, and a dip/wash). I mean let's be real most of us who pledge to this end up with bins of bare white plastic, at least with that they'll probably cost a bit more but actually be likely to see the table.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Bones 3 pledge manager closes in June 2016, so no, not even remotely any kind of rush

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I said gently caress it and pulled the trigger on mal'drakar.

My haul

Horror Bonesylvanians x1
Mouslings x1
Ma'aldrakar, Dragon Tyrant x1
Dagon x1
Lycanthropes I x1
Lycanthropes 2 x1

Very modest this time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What is up with the pledge manager?

All the options are +$5 or more than they were in the campaign. Is there something I am missing?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

What is up with the pledge manager?

All the options are +$5 or more than they were in the campaign. Is there something I am missing?

:confused:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I have 2 different KS accounts. The higher prices are for my account that didn't pledge to the KS. How very odd...

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I have 2 different KS accounts. The higher prices are for my account that didn't pledge to the KS. How very odd...

Per KS update #52:

quote:

We have received many reports of backers seeing higher prices, and not seeing a credit for their initial pledge.
IF this is happening to you, this is because our system cannot find your original pledge, because the e-mail address you are logging in to our pledge manager with is not the same as the one you use at kickstarter.com, and our Manager is trying to match you to your pledge by matching e-mail addresses.
The ONLY way to fix this is to log in to the pledge manager, go to the Account Details page, and change the email address you use to log in to the pledge manager to match the one you use to log in to Kickstarter.com.
Once you have done this, you should see the correct prices, and a credit for your original pledge in the pay box.
After you do this, if you need to change your e-mail address back, you will be able to do this without losing the original pledge credit.
Thanks,
Reaper

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

They did an update about that

;efb

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh right, I forgot about that update, didn't think that IB might be suffering from the multi-account issue.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Man, this is tempting. I notice the goals say $100, but the calculator says $150. has the price gone up for late comers? I'm assuming for $150 still is a good price per figure. How many is there? I count 111, plus scene pieces and weapons. What would the ballpark value of this set be? It seems like probably well over $150.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am trying to focus on terrain this time around, so I am definitely picking up the Graveyard set and the Mythic Circle. I am probably going to end up up with the Mythos set as well though, plus a couple random adds. It's so easy to feel like grabbing $6 and $12 options like popcorn.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Foolster41 posted:

Man, this is tempting. I notice the goals say $100, but the calculator says $150. has the price gone up for late comers? I'm assuming for $150 still is a good price per figure. How many is there? I count 111, plus scene pieces and weapons. What would the ballpark value of this set be? It seems like probably well over $150.

If you didn't back while the kickstarter was live, then you're paying the increased amount, which is still less than retail.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Well I done goofed and pledged about $250 to the campaign while it was still live (rather than the $1 'and see how it goes' pledge) so I'm in it to win it with Tiamat and a bunch of hero & monster models. Not sure about the scenery stuff because although it's cheap most of it isn't anything I can't make custom for myself.

Sent emails to a couple of goons who want just a few pieces, to see what they want to get...if anyone else in the UK is thinking about getting just a few things I'll think about getting orders from other goons to further split the shipping costs. I'm in on Wave 1 so I have the cheaper model costs.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

krushgroove posted:

Well I done goofed and pledged about $250 to the campaign while it was still live (rather than the $1 'and see how it goes' pledge) so I'm in it to win it with Tiamat and a bunch of hero & monster models. Not sure about the scenery stuff because although it's cheap most of it isn't anything I can't make custom for myself.

Sent emails to a couple of goons who want just a few pieces, to see what they want to get...if anyone else in the UK is thinking about getting just a few things I'll think about getting orders from other goons to further split the shipping costs. I'm in on Wave 1 so I have the cheaper model costs.

I'm sorely tempted.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

krushgroove posted:

I'm in on Wave 1 so I have the cheaper model costs.
Are there cheaper prices for people in earlier waves? :confused:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sorry, I meant 'I have the cheaper pricing of campaign backers, rather than the higher pricing non-backers will see'

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Oh that makes sense. I was momentarily saddened that in addition to waiting until next Christmas for my stuff, I'd also be paying a higher rate. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ashcans posted:

Oh that makes sense. I was momentarily saddened that in addition to waiting until next Christmas for my stuff, I'd also be paying a higher rate. :v:

Oath thread tax imo :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Oh, can I buy add-ons without having to buy the core set and mix and match? Because a lot of these in the core set don't interest me as muich, but I'd like to get a bunch of the heros and some monsters.

• Locked thread