Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God I hope Lord English himself gets to talk later and it's just nothing but giant flashing text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thanks, everybody. I ripped through the entire comic in a week, the last before the Gigapause ended, and I missed a lot of subtleties. I've reread multiple times since, but I'm still missing subtleties and obviousies.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Prison Warden posted:

I personally think it's fine to assume that ZenMaster realizes a bunch of the reasons why Hussie might have done stuff and still think it's bad rather than always acting like he just doesn't "get it". The troll ancestors stuff and the "everyone wants the retarded kid's dick" are legit not fun to read.

Yeah I mean I understand

Plom Bar posted:

Those things are actually jokes in themselves though.

The troll ancestor history lessons are purposely overwrought, jargon-filled blather that Hussie once described as himself writing bad fanfiction for his own story. It's his take on all the backstory fanfics out there and how god damned self-important they all are, right down to a cheesy Christ allegory. It's even acknowledged in the narrative that the poo poo is tiresome and self-indulgent even by Homestuck's own standards.

But most of the trolls and their conversations in that chapter are/were kind of already overwrought (Some seem to be less purposely than others) jargon-filled text filler that was (at the time) super self-indulgent. It comes in the middle of a chapter that already feels like that and just makes it a slower more agonizing read. He then goes on to use those parts as set up for events later that are already set up. Every time Equius talked or a did a thing it already felt like Hussie just doing some big dumb poo poo for the sake of doing the big dumb poo poo and all of that sets up his death and uselessness fairly well. The troll ancestors stuff just feels kind of...weirdly lacking in self-awareness for something penned by Hussie.

"I'm going to write something ironically long winded, self-important, and unfun to make a character seem more cool and likable and important!" he thought, not turning around to read the 50 troll textlogs he had just written about how Karkat hates himself so much he from the future comes in to yell about how lovely and pathetic of a leader he is. I mean usually those had enough jokes to cover up that poo poo, but a lot of the troll session conversations wear that thin veneer of comedy away quickly and fall right into over-wrought crap.

And re: Jake's shtick I understand the big meta joke on his part, but because of that he kind of made 3 of the 6 characters we would be spending a long time with almost elusively (What, at least a fourth of the entire loving length of the comic) spend most of their time as one note jokes with very little interesting about them as people. That kind of sucks when 2 of the other characters were the Cherubs who are 1-joke characters by design. I like Roxy, but she didn't have a snowball's chance in hell in dragging up the three anchors she was stuck with back into being funny and not a bad read. The fact that that went on so long and went almost nowhere and then TRICKSTER MODE happened kind of made it feel that writing the Jake love triangle teen drama stuff had kind of just gotten away from Hussie. Which, whatever, it happens to all writers, good or bad, but that doesn't make it not an awful read.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 21, 2015

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

A recurring flaw in internet serial media is that they will never progress beyond the first draft, and Homestuck is no exception.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Camp Homestuck sort of did, and came out better for it [on exactly one page]

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PXS is sorta different cause the comics were made well in advance, rather than going up upon completion like Homestuck proper.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Renaissance Robot posted:

Camp Homestuck sort of did, and came out better for it [on exactly one page]

Camp Homestuck?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Burkion posted:

Camp Homestuck?

Summerteen Romance, which took place at Camp Sburb.

Great job, Renaissance Robot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

OH the Troll Mushroom Penis edits. Okay.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I like this comic even when there aren't any jokes in it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Jia posted:

but enough about calliope

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Jia posted:

This almost never happens, but I do enjoy the more serioust moments in Homestuck.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Enourmo posted:

Obviously I got it wrong on purpose. For uh, irony. Yeah :ninja:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I just assume everything in this thread is ironic until someone starts taking something too seriously, then it's just funny.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jia posted:

See: Cascade, Game Over, many of the lilypad conversations, the Echidna two-page spread, Terezi: Remem8er. I tend to read Homestuck as a drama with comedy rather than a comedy with drama. Your reading may vary.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

See: Cascade, Game Over, many of the lilypad conversations, the Echidna two-page spread, Terezi: Remem8er. I tend to read Homestuck as a drama with comedy rather than a comedy with drama. Your reading may vary.
A lot of people would use the word dramedy but I like to think of Homestuck more as a permanent irreversible coma.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Flea Wars posted:

A lot of people would use the word dramedy but I like to think of Homestuck more as a permanent irreversible coma.

Oh, if only.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Rather than reading it as one side of a binary or the other, I personally choose to enjoy homestuck at every point of the spectrum between comedy and drama.

I guess you could say I'm into

polydramedy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Man, rereads can be painful.
http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004672

quote:

GC: TH3R3 1S 4 LOT 1N YOUR M1ND WH1CH 1S CONC34L3D FROM YOUR SURF4C3 P3RC3PT1ON
GC: YOU JUST N33D TO TRY TO B3COM3 4W4R3 OF 1T
GC: CLOS3 YOUR 3Y3S
GC: 4ND T3LL M3 WH4T YOU S33 1N YOUR M1NDSP4C3
TG: ok
TG: i see
TG: that loving puppet

e: I am reading what the thread had to say when Cascade came out. It is apparently the Word of Hussie that people who die on their God Tier beds don't resurrect, but instead a new God Tier being is created that has the memories of the dead person?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 21, 2015

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Yeah, rereads get painful. Like Dave's whole "No I'm totally just too cool to cry over my Bro. It's nothing more than that."

And now we know that...isn't entirely true.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Things can be written into a narrative that don't matter to the over all story and that's fine. It's just that so much of that happens in homestuck and so many things are dropped or at least postponed for so long that they kind of drag on and can be a big a bit of a slog to get through. Sure they happened, but they don't really matter and, your opinion on quality of the aside, feel like filler, which is impressive because it gets so much 'screentime'.

This feeling's kind of been exacerbated because I recently finished a re-read and BOY a lot of the Exiles, the trolls/ancestor, and HUGE chunks of Act 6 feel like bad magician's patter. Just trying to keep you occupied while he sets up the trick. To me, they're worse on the re read since I KNOW they mostly go nowhere instead of just slogging through characters that aren't exactly great.

That's Hussie's approach of throwing a lot of poo poo at the walls (especially the fourth) and seeing what sticks. The parts that end up falling do seem like pointless digression when you know they're just going to get dropped in the end; but they could have led somewhere in a doomed timeline if Hussie made different choices.

Jia posted:

The joke is the readers.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Classtoise posted:

Yeah, rereads get painful. Like Dave's whole "No I'm totally just too cool to cry over my Bro. It's nothing more than that."

And now we know that...isn't entirely true.

That was pretty obvious, even at the time it was being posted.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That was pretty obvious, even at the time it was being posted.

Eh. Dave did a good job, at least early on, of playing everything off as irony. As the story goes on we learn he's not as good as it as he thought when poo poo gets really crazy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Classtoise posted:

Eh. Dave did a good job, at least early on, of playing everything off as irony.

No. No he did not. Even from when he was fumbling around his house at the beginning you could tell he was bullshitting everyone. Dude was have freakouts about puppets and poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's one great thing Hussie did, that a lot of people wrote off as 'just a joke'. Bro was always hosed up and it was always hosed up that Dave grew up the way he did. Hussie just played his cards to his chest until he needed the full dysfunction junction flush. See that loving ball pit Paradox Space comic he wrote.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By the way, for those who backed it and thus might be interested, Toby Radiation's Undertale has a release date of September 15th.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I didn't back it but I am interested. Nice to know it's coming soon.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
That game fucks with you something fierce and I highly recommend the demo to anyone with even a passing curiosity of JRPGs.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Bowman put out his new album, Radiation's got a release date for his new game, i think Clark Powell composed the music for a recent indie game the name of which escapes me this moment
i wish success for all homestuck um.. team-members??? graduates???

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nate RFB posted:

By the way, for those who backed it and thus might be interested, Toby Radiation's Undertale has a release date of September 15th.

Will it be on Steam?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
...so? Did you click it?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

...so? Did you click it?

I was going to make it link to something funny but I couldn't think of anything.

The ad goes to the aggrogator site.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

I've been trying to create my own ParadoxSpace comics, however I haven't yet thought up anything funny.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I've been trying to create my own ParadoxSpace comics, however I haven't yet thought up anything funny.

That's okay; neither did they.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

A Let's Play of the new King's Quest has been started in this forum, and the OP explicitly points out what the Odd Gentlemen have done, but not everyone is convinced by that post that was cancelled on Tumblr. If anyone (Possibly with a better understanding of the situation than me) wants to clarify the situation and/or enjoy the best parts of the game (its writing and atmosphere) without giving one cent to those guys here is a link:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737601

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 23, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

paradoxGentleman posted:

A Let's Play of the new King's Quest has been started in this forum, and the OP explicitly points out what the Odd Gentlemen have done, but not everyone is convinced by that post that was cancelled on Tumblr. If anyone (Possibly with a better understanding of the situation than me) wants to clarify the situation and/or enjoy the best partes of the game (it's writing and atmosphere) without giving one cent to those guys here is a link:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3737601

i'm not going to not play a really good game just because the developers are scumbags

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

pandaK posted:

i'm not going to not play a really good game just because the developers are scumbags

That is your call to make. Do consider that in doing so you are implicitly rewarding them for their actions, but apart from that do what you feel is the best.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

pandaK posted:

poo poo, Transformers Devastation will probably be the first Activision game I've played since Heavy Gear 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

That's okay; neither did they.

:sbahj: