Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

derra posted:

20 triple crowns

:worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Serene Dragon posted:

So I'm about to enter the void again and I'm considering how to take on the super bosses. My party is Knight, Berserker, Ninja and Bard. So I have Omega down easily. But I'm not sure how to take on Shinryu. I don't think I have any way to berserk him like I usually do. Is the zombie method the only real way I have to beat him?

I managed the Triple Crown (my first run ever!)... but I had to resort to a super cheesy strat for Shinryu that you can do too.

- Put Angel Ring on your Bard (if you have it) - not necessary but it'll keep the Bard from getting zombie status.
- Let the other members get zombified; there's an enemy in the last room that will do it.
- Put Reflect Rings on the zombies.
- If you can get the bard's turn before Tidal Wave, Hide for the entire battle.

Now wait about two hours (15-20 minutes with fast-forward). Shinryu has a 1/3 chance of casting Atomic Ray which will reflect and hit him for about 500-1000 HP. Easy win.

(Note: Thanks to A Raving Loon who told me that trick.)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Poque posted:

Huh, thank goodness for emulator rewind, because you can land the airship on Gil's cave in world 3 and never be able to access it again. Weird glitch.

Only in the SFC and PSX versions; they fixed that in FF5 Advance.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

This led me here and now I desperately want a Time Mage on my next run.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

slowbeef posted:

I managed the Triple Crown (my first run ever!)... but I had to resort to a super cheesy strat for Shinryu that you can do too.

- Put Angel Ring on your Bard (if you have it) - not necessary but it'll keep the Bard from getting zombie status.
- Let the other members get zombified; there's an enemy in the last room that will do it.

Now wait about two hours (15-20 minutes with fast-forward). Shinryu has a 1/3 chance of casting Atomic Ray which will reflect and hit him for about 500-1000 HP. Easy win.

put on a coral ring for the fight and you'll be able to survive tidal wave which means you should win on the first try

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Only real problem with full Team Earth is that it makes hunting Reflect Rings a bit of a pain. The usual way to go is the party of 2 Magnetites and 2 Reflect Knights. Magnetites go down to one !Zeninage, but they're Heavy so !Iainuki doesn't work on them. Reflect Knights die easily to !Iainuki, but they've got a ton of defense so !Zeninage won't one-shot them. Not to mention the expense of throwing !Zeninages around everywhere.

EDIT: Oh, duh, I can just wait for !Iainuki to fire off before I throw my gil. That should cut the gil cost by 1/4 to 1/2. :hurr:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 21, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bufuman posted:

Only real problem with full Team Earth is that it makes hunting Reflect Rings a bit of a pain. The usual way to go is the party of 2 Magnetites and 2 Reflect Knights. Magnetites go down to one !Zeninage, but they're Heavy so !Iainuki doesn't work on them. Reflect Knights die easily to !Iainuki, but they've got a ton of defense so !Zeninage won't one-shot them. Not to mention the expense of throwing !Zeninages around everywhere.

Why do you need Reflect Rings for Team Earth? You won't need to do Fork Tower and W2 Exdeath should be cake with !Mix.

Farming those rings sucks so hard, I always try to avoid it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Poque posted:

Why do you need Reflect Rings for Team Earth? You won't need to do Fork Tower and W2 Exdeath should be cake with !Mix.

This is fair, but I always like to farm them anyway (unless I have a Summoner and can throw out Carbuncle). Sure, Chemist can apply Reflect anyway, but only on one person at a time and it wears off. Plus I'll need Dragon Fangs and those will be kind of a pain to farm until I get some legendary weapons (Sage's Staff! The undead killer!)

At the very least they'll be handy for the seal guardians.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Fighting strategy: a Dark Ether and 3 or 4 Lilith's Kisses at roughly level 200. This may not have been the most effective way to fight Atomos (especially since I only went into the tower with 2 Ethers and had to use a couple Elixirs for my Lilith's Kisses), but God help me if it wasn't the funniest.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bufuman posted:

This is fair, but I always like to farm them anyway (unless I have a Summoner and can throw out Carbuncle). Sure, Chemist can apply Reflect anyway, but only on one person at a time and it wears off. Plus I'll need Dragon Fangs and those will be kind of a pain to farm until I get some legendary weapons (Sage's Staff! The undead killer!)

Thing is, Drink gives you access to Haste and lets you double everyone's HP. Combine that with Hi-Potions healing for 1000 HP, and you won't need Reflect at all.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

Meh, there are good Reflect Knight encounters on floors 4 and 5, I just hang out there for a bit and usually get the 3 I need (plus the one in W3 makes 4) before I go insane

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Two in W3; if you're going to Istory Falls for the one in the chest, you might as well bump off Leviathan and get the one he drops too.

You can also Thief Knife more of them in Phoenix Tower if you're really desperate, for almost any setup. (Setups with bona fide Thieves can, of course, just steal them in Exdeath's Castle in the first place.)

Really, getting them as drops is primarily useful for mid W2 to early W3. Which mostly boils down to the crystals, Exdeath, and (maybe) Melusine.

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 22, 2015

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Run number 4 done! :toot: Unfortunately this was basically my 750 run with Monk instead of White Mage, which tore a new one into the game. I finished with my lowest level yet, blazing through World 2 and 3 with impunity. I was actually running out of funds and entered the Void with 2 Hermes Sandals, ignoring every chest in World 3 that didn't have sweet, sweet cash. Monk synergizing extremely well with Chemist also meant I only picked up the Chicken Knife for its !Flee proc, since my Chemist and Monk could do way more damage with Barehanded and Hero Cocktails. This team was perfect too, since Summoner let me tank Omega and Shinryu with Golems and let me get through Monk's World 1 troubles and Geomancer meant I didn't have to worry about Exdeath's lava tiles.

I'm going to try one more normal run and hope I get Mystic Knight or Ranger (which I still haven't gotten yet), and hopefully I won't get repeat combinations either. :argh:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Any good places to farm for elixirs in Worlds 2 and 3? I know Zuus are generous with them in World 1, but for once I've left for World 2 with a pretty meager supply.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Cure Beasts in Moore have them as rare drops according to the algorithms guide.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Just finished my third and final run for this year. Neo Exdeath was cake with this party - give everyone a pretty bow on their head to stop Grand Cross; open by Break-swording Almagest; whale on Physical with Jumps, Flare-swords, and Chicken Knife Flare-blade Sword Dances until dead; switch Dragoon to Thief Knife and attack Grand Cross with her until I get the Dragon Lance, then see Physical; then a Magic Lamp Odin for the kill.

Shinryu wasn't too bad either. Equipped everyone with Coral Rings and !Summon, gave Dragoon the Dragon Lance and Summoner the Wonder Wand. Golem, Berserk, reapply Golem whenever he attacks; Jump, Flare Blade, or Chicken Knife Flare Blade Sword Dance whenever I get the chance; dead dragon.

I'm really enjoying Chaos Mode! Allows for a heck of a lot more variety in team setups. Most likely gonna make all my runs Chaos runs from here on out.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Can Of Worms posted:

Cure Beasts in Moore have them as rare drops according to the algorithms guide.

If you have a chemist, this is doubly helpful, since the grasslands right outside Surgate has the following encounters:
  • 2 Land Turtles
  • 2 Land Turtles, 1 Cure Beast
  • 1 Land Turtle
  • 4 Cure Beasts

A little while farming there and you'll be set for Turtle Shells and Elixirs.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Vil posted:

Two in W3; if you're going to Istory Falls for the one in the chest, you might as well bump off Leviathan and get the one he drops too.

You can also Thief Knife more of them in Phoenix Tower if you're really desperate, for almost any setup. (Setups with bona fide Thieves can, of course, just steal them in Exdeath's Castle in the first place.)

Really, getting them as drops is primarily useful for mid W2 to early W3. Which mostly boils down to the crystals, Exdeath, and (maybe) Melusine.

I always preferred stealing in Phoenix Tower. Not only is it quicker than getting a drop, the other things you can snatch sell for money to get you to your Hermes and armor in Phantom. Always seemed more efficient than farming them as a rare drop.

Then again, I have had to do some pretty desperate things to beat W2 Exdeath...

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, while I've farmed up the Reflect Rings in W2 several times, I've rarely actually needed them. It's more of a "oh, but what if" :ohdear: behavior.

Not going to bother in this run (WHM/BZK/BRD/DNC). White magic alone can take care of things. Which I really need to finish up before the end of the month, come to think of it.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Trying to finish this before the final day for once. Final team is White Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Chemist.

Never really used a Chemist before, looking forward to ripping poo poo up.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

slowbeef posted:

Thanks for all the strategies for shinryu, but I did end up going with this zombie trick. I tried straight fighting him but got murdered a lot and I couldn't be bothered to grind levels (especially since I really need to finish this run this weekend) and I wasn't any good at using hide tactics. This worked, albeit it took forever. Thanks slowbeef and by extension A Raving Loon.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

May as well catch up on my victory posts.

Run #6/Triple Crown #4 - Team 750 Run

Black Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Chemist

Comments: NED died in 7 Syldras, didn't get a turn. :unsmigghh:

Run #7 - Random Run

Thief/Knight/Summoner/Ranger

Comments: Didn't feel like grinding out the numbers to kill Omega :effort:

Run #8/Triple Crown #5 - Normal Run

Knight/Time Mage/Ninja/Samurai

Comments: Quickleaked Omega for the first time, was fun. Holy crap thanks to some hubris on my part (Forgetting the Magic Lamp) NED was tense, it came down to the final back part (Hubris!) with about 15k hp left and Krile came through with a clutch Quick+2x Meteor for 16k, fun times.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have never played Final Fantasy V before. I am going to make this weekend the first time I do that. Is the SNES version on an emulator okay? I was also thinking of getting the PSX port for Vita.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I said come in! posted:

I have never played Final Fantasy V before. I am going to make this weekend the first time I do that. Is the SNES version on an emulator okay? I was also thinking of getting the PSX port for Vita.

The GBA version is the definitive one but really there's not much of a downside to playing the SNES version (apart from a different palette, missing out on The Best Translation, and some quality of life stuff, one blue magic isn't quite as overpowered, oh nooo). The PSX port has loading times and the shakiest translation of the three but if you feel better buying it I think that's the only option.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010
With WHM/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon, do I have any decent approach for Omniscient other that reflect rings and waiting 8 hours?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Zone of Danger posted:

With WHM/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon, do I have any decent approach for Omniscient other that reflect rings and waiting 8 hours?

Berkserk him, making sure you have blink up before hand, and then hit him with moves.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

Berkserk him, making sure you have blink up before hand, and then hit him with moves.

Still casts return when I attack him after I berserk him.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Zone of Danger posted:

Still casts return when I attack him after I berserk him.

Ah, you must be using the mobile version. Well, try just casting silence on him and then punch him. Perhaps also berserking him just to turn off his other spells, cause blink basically turns off his attacks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I should probably finish my last run before the end of the Fiesta, shouldn't I? It's been on ice for a month and I forgot what I even rolled...

...oh. :getin:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Zone of Danger posted:

Don't you get to use Holy on him? You always fight the other guy first. I've never had a WM so I don't know for sure.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

OzFactor posted:

Don't you get to use Holy on him? You always fight the other guy first. I've never had a WM so I don't know for sure.

Nope. In terms of story, the spells are taken at the same time.

Anyway, one strategy with that team might be to Berserk him and spam Blink while plinking away with physicals. Unless you're playing mobile (where React scripts ignore Berserk, or something like that), in which case... Reflect Rings. Sorry.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Finally stopped getting distracted and finished my second run. BM/Ranger/Sam/Chem. Can't say it was much of a challenge, so here's the obligatory triple crown:

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

I got busy as poo poo in July and most of August. Didn't get to finish my first run until tonight, it sat waiting at the save point before Exdeath for over a month. Definitely not going to start another one as there's no way it'd get finished in time.

NED got pretty well roasted after I buffed up Krile and Fartz with Dragon Power until level 99, and let them go nuts with reflected Blizzaga. Unfortunately there was a bit too long of a gap between when Vacuum died and when Dragon died. So the fucker got a Meteor off and killed Faris.

See you guys next year, I hope.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Nope. In terms of story, the spells are taken at the same time.

Anyway, one strategy with that team might be to Berserk him and spam Blink while plinking away with physicals. Unless you're playing mobile (where React scripts ignore Berserk, or something like that), in which case... Reflect Rings. Sorry.

You can silence him and attack immediately afterwards (provided silence lands) with that setup, which should work even on mobile. He's heavy, so it'll wear off really fast and you'll want the other person to be ready for a command as soon as you see whether or not silence landed.

Hassle, but still a lot faster than waiting out his MP pool.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Hmm, I wonder if it's worth taking Team Earth Crystal through the Wind Temple and Magic Tower just so I can grab that second Aegis Shield at Istory Falls. I can't think of anything else that I can even use from any of those three areas.

Will Omniscient counter Succubus' Kiss with Return? Or maybe even Dark Ether & Lilith's Kiss? I suppose I can just use the Reflect Mage Masher tactic too, either way.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Bufuman posted:

Hmm, I wonder if it's worth taking Team Earth Crystal through the Wind Temple and Magic Tower just so I can grab that second Aegis Shield at Istory Falls. I can't think of anything else that I can even use from any of those three areas.

Will Omniscient counter Succubus' Kiss with Return? Or maybe even Dark Ether & Lilith's Kiss? I suppose I can just use the Reflect Mage Masher tactic too, either way.

Rugwizard even counters rod breaking; it's not damage type he checks, but commands.

It's dumb

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

AlphaKretin posted:

Rugwizard even counters rod breaking; it's not damage type he checks, but commands.

It's dumb

Yeah, I know that he counters even magic-based commands (such as !Gaia and !Lance, both of which deal entirely magical damage and run off the user's Magic stat, but are still counted as physical commands) will trigger a Return. I was just wondering if !Mix was among those commands.

I'm going to guess that anything that isn't listed in the Magic menu is automatically out of bounds.

EDIT: Algorithm FAQ to the rescue once again!

code:
React:Physical:  Will react to the following commands: Item, Fight, Kick, 
BuildUp, Steal, Capture, DrgnSwd, Jump, Throw, SwdSlap, Gil Toss, Animals, 
Aim, X-Fight, Conjure, Observe, Analyze, Release, Combine, Terrain and Dance.
Will React to each hand if 2-handed is used.  Will react twice to DrgnSwd.
Note that the attacker must successfully hit the monster in order for it to 
execute its React: Script (e.g. an unsuccessful Steal attempt or Stealing when 
the monster has nothing left to Steal will not provoke React: Physical).
One interesting note is that Omniscient's React scripting has a specific exception for !Steal, so if you're going for his Kornago Gourd, that's a bit of relief.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 25, 2015

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, you could try Thief Knifing that rare Aegis Shield steal in the Rift, though that's so late as to be next to useless.

Personally I'd take a dancer and samurai (with !Mix on at least one of them) in there, mix up the samurai's levels, then do the mage masher silence thing with the dancer and be ready to throw a shitload of gil at him as soon as the silence kicks in.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Personally I'd just skip the second Aegis shield. You've got a Chemist and a Samurai, and Equip Ribbon if you're really worried about White Hole or something. You don't need two Aegis Shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Omniscient is vulnerable to Berserk, so just use a Bacchus Cider.

• Locked thread