Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Wow. He got 180 days in jail and 10 years probation. Jury recommended 8 years sentence but it all be probated (0 days in jail).

What the gently caress Waco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

There is nothing good in waco. I even had a bad experience at their whataburger off 35 a while back. What a poo poo hole

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

How the actual gently caress? I mean, why? It's not like there's any saving his football career, if that's what people give a poo poo about - what's he going to do, go to the NFL after 2, 3 years without a single snap on film, even if anyone was willing to take a chance on this poo poo?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 21, 2015

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

gently caress that judge.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kayakyakr posted:

Wow. He got 180 days in jail and 10 years probation. Jury recommended 8 years sentence but it all be probated (0 days in jail).

Baptists

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

DOOP posted:

Baptists

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

An ex-social worker friend tells me that this sort of poo poo sentence is actually way more common than you would think with regards to rape cases. gently caress the courts, if true.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

Nah, put me in "gently caress Them Forever." James Franklin ran a dirty program and that fanbase, which had theretofore been the holiest of the holier-than-thous, ignored it because it got 'em a pair of 9-4 seasons. They deserve all the routs-by-Temple that they get.

Hey, remember when one of Franklin's oafish OLs went for the knees of a Georgia defensive player well after the whistle, popped up, and gave his sidelines a thumbs up? Remember when Todd Grantham went batshit nuts on Franklin after the game was over? Remember when all the tut-tutting from hot-taking hacks was in the direction of Grantham? I do. gently caress Vandy.

Late, but absolutely in agreement with this. Thanks to an inexcusable two-year losing streak to Vandy while I was in college, I already disliked them more than most SEC fans, but Franklin really put it over the top. I don't hold an active hatred for them now that he's gone, but I definitely don't have a "d'aww, lil' Vandy" mindset anymore.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

An ex-social worker friend tells me that this sort of poo poo sentence is actually way more common than you would think with regards to rape cases. gently caress the courts, if true.

It is in the southern states.

Apparently the jury has to recommend probation in order for the judge to lighten the sentence to that. Still 180 days is loving light as hell for loving up a woman for the rest of her life.

quote:

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed 37m37 minutes ago
The victim is reading a victim-impact statement now. She said all males scare her now.

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed 35m35 minutes ago
She said she prays that Ukwuachu asks for forgiveness and doesn't do it to anybody else.

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed 35m35 minutes ago
She said her new identity now is the girl who got raped.

Tommy Witherspoon ‏@TSpoonFeed 32m32 minutes ago
Court adjourned. Ukwuachu is being led to jail to begin his 180-day term as a condition of probation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Small mercies, but at the very least the victim seems to have retained some anonymity. Better than what happened to Erica Kinsman, at least.

Or maybe that's an rear end in a top hat assumption, for a not-rape-victim like myself. God, poo poo's hosed.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

It is in the southern states.

Apparently the jury has to recommend probation in order for the judge to lighten the sentence to that. Still 180 days is loving light as hell for loving up a woman for the rest of her life.

They just read her statement on the radio on the drive home. That's awful. :smith:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Big Surprise: The judge is a Baylor alumnus.

DEATH TO BAYLOR
DEATH TO WACO
ALLAHU AKBAR

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope Baylor gets jobbed by SMU.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Big Surprise: The judge is a Baylor alumnus.

DEATH TO BAYLOR
DEATH TO WACO
ALLAHU AKBAR

Was the judge actually? Because if so we really should have let Texas secede

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Pakled posted:

I hope Baylor gets jobbed by SMU

you mean the NCAA

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Just looked it up Judge Matt Johnson got his undergrad from Baylor.

I don't wanna say there was bias in the ruling but...

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

buddhanc posted:

There is nothing good in waco. I even had a bad experience at their whataburger off 35 a while back. What a poo poo hole

They do have fuego, which is an incredible taco stop.

Except when I stopped through there the chicken was the inferior grilled bread cut into strips kind in lieu of the shredded rotisserie they serve at the original in cstat, so yeah gently caress Waco.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Spintzel posted:

Just looked it up Judge Matt Johnson got his undergrad from Baylor.

I don't wanna say there was bias in the ruling but...

Everybody involved is a Baylor grad. The judge, the judge's dad is also a Baylor grad, the defense attorney is a Baylor grad, the defense attorney's father is a Baylor grad / former state senator, etc., etc.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Art Briles has doubled down on blaming Peterson. Let's see if Peterson doubles down on his statements. If so, Briles is fuxored.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

gently caress Baylor.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Now I feel extra right about doing TCU for grad school

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Baylor thing should probably get its own thread if someone who is following the story somewhat closely wants to make one. Otherwise it's going to overwhelm all the not horrifying and depressing college football news, and also me talking about Iowa's offensive line.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

and also me talking about Iowa's offensive line.

Anyone good enough to go pro?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Anyone good enough to go pro?

The implication there was that they are also horrifying and depressing. Austin Blythe has a pretty good chance at getting drafted in the middle/late rounds somewhere, but the tackle situation is the worst it's been in a long time. It's two sophomores who have never played, one a former walk on and the other a converted high school QB. They've been demolished at both public practice events so far, and while Drew Ott is a nice enough college player, this isn't exactly the Adrian Clayborn line where they had like 6 future draft picks rotating through.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I second the recommendation of following Georgia Tech as a secondary team. We got a qb who is super good at running our weird offense and we have a tough schedule this year. Outside of our coastal division we play Clemson (permanent Atlantic rival) and fsu from the other side. Plus we're playing notre Dame and uga.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

The implication there was that they are also horrifying and depressing. Austin Blythe has a pretty good chance at getting drafted in the middle/late rounds somewhere, but the tackle situation is the worst it's been in a long time. It's two sophomores who have never played, one a former walk on and the other a converted high school QB. They've been demolished at both public practice events so far, and while Drew Ott is a nice enough college player, this isn't exactly the Adrian Clayborn line where they had like 6 future draft picks rotating through.

:stare:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scherff actually played QB in high school for a year too! But I think Boettger was one pretty much the whole way through. He was like 6'5" 220 coming out, so he had a OL frame, it's not that weird. They initially recruited him as a TE and then he bulked up a bunch and moved during his redshirt year.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .
The sad part about this is that the Williamson county da actually did something right for once and now the usual sentencing bullshit happens because he has the connections. Texas criminal law sucks. :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. World posted:

The sad part about this is that the Williamson county da actually did something right for once and now the usual sentencing bullshit happens because he has the connections.

So, uh, apparently it was actually the jury that hosed up the sentence here? The jury recommended 8 years probation, not jail like was initially reported. The judge actually tacked on 180 days in the county jail, which is apparently the most you can inflict on someone who's sentenced with probation. People talking about it on Stewart Mandel's twitter, claiming to know more about law than I do.

https://twitter.com/slmandel

But yes:

Mr. World posted:

Texas criminal law sucks. :(

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

Art Briles has doubled down on blaming Peterson. Let's see if Peterson doubles down on his statements. If so, Briles is fuxored.

I like how he seems to be hanging his hat on specifically not being aware of the domestic violence. As if that excuses everything else they did after the rape happened.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

gently caress that. Go Beavers!

Hell yeah GO BEAVERS!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Hey Baylor fan, stop making this about you, you giant baby. Oh noes, that girl getting raped makes it hard for ME to watch football. What am I going to do???

Good luck with the personal stuff you're going through though. Hope it works out

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Hey Baylor fan, stop making this about you, you giant baby. Oh noes, that girl getting raped makes it hard for ME to watch football. What am I going to do???

Wasn't my intent, but it happened anyway. My bad.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I've resisted making a single joke about the other rape that the Baylor football team committed that night. Their 71-7 pillaging of Iowa State in Ames that same evening is probably the low point of football for ISU in this millennia. Which is saying something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sab0921 posted:

Let him go, I need a surrogate Bill Simmons in my life.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Lets have a reverse Civil War and decide to kick Texas out and then carpet bomb them.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Rad Valtar posted:

Lets have a reverse Civil War and decide to kick Texas out and then carpet bomb them.

Just let me pack a few things and get the dog...

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Rad Valtar posted:

Jade Helm chickened out

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Jade Helm chickened out

Sherman should have hung a right at Atlanta and continued west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rad Valtar posted:

Im very ok with this if we can airlift Franklin BBQ to Charleston and carpetbomb Ohio too. Like chain the doors shut and burn it down. Make sure Urbz is in there too.

• Locked thread